Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sociopastry posted:

So I'm relatively new to the game. I'm using Blood/Blade with these skills: https://www.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/basic-blood-weapon-combinations, but now the mission difficulty is gettign a little too much for me to handle, but I don't know what to go for for skills. Any advice?

If you can slot 12 gouge in that will proc on penetrating hits and let you stack debilitate which makes dudes hit you harder using blade lets you use breakdown which stacks exposed each time you hit a dude that will make them take more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

If you can slot 12 gouge in that will proc on penetrating hits and let you stack debilitate which makes dudes hit you harder softer using blade lets you use breakdown which stacks exposed each time you hit a dude that will make them take more damage.

Fixed that for ya

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Fixed that for ya

Yeah that one. You can safely forget corrupted is a thing like I did until looking up skill names. It's useful basically nowhere except maybe hell fallen nightmare? Maybe? I dunno I've never done that legit.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks guys! I'll give that a try.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Len posted:

Yeah that one. You can safely forget corrupted is a thing like I did until looking up skill names. It's useful basically nowhere except maybe hell fallen nightmare? Maybe? I dunno I've never done that legit.

There's one lair boss in Shadowy Forest that really benefits from it too, but aside from that I've never seen it be useful anywhere.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So there's now two new nightmare dungeons?
And some talk of eventually maybe QL11 gear?

I'm only just beginning to finish up my Solomon Island experience (I've just finished all the area quests, and now only have two more stages of the Storyline quest to go), so this is miles away from me yet I think.

Also - is it me, or is the sabotage mission in the Blue Mountain mines from old lady Franklin a complete rear end to stealth through?
The AoE detectors that explode on you (TNT and Filth bombs) seem to enjoy glitching out and exploding for inscrutable reasons, while alternately you can edge round (or just combat roll right over) the red circles on the floor to avoid the spirits with ease.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Hey folks, I'm playing TSW again and working through a lot of the main story content. If you want to join an :siren: Illuminati cabal for goons, :siren: send FlavorTruck a message in-game or hit me up in #awful and I'll send you an invite to Goonthulhu. I'll promote anyone who joins so they can recruit new members.

This isn't anything serious, just a dumb in-game cabal for goons to join and belong to. If it gets enough members (doubtful) then I'll gladly step down and give full control to the more active members. In the meantime, I'm hoping we can all benefit from whatever being in a cabal does..

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's an extra chat channel that's less finicky than the rest and also extra bank space. If chat channels are working better now maybe there should be one for goons to hook up and do stuff in but I'm too lazy to actually look into it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Flavor Truck posted:

In the meantime, I'm hoping we can all benefit from whatever being in a cabal does..

Chat room and a shared bank.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Morglon posted:

It's an extra chat channel that's less finicky than the rest and also extra bank space. If chat channels are working better now maybe there should be one for goons to hook up and do stuff in but I'm too lazy to actually look into it.

There's still #awful - Either way, feel free to apply or PM me, I forget how it works. The servers are down for maintenance ATM.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I've been poking at the game again, but unfortunately my heart belongs to the Templars.

Trying an Elementalism/Blood build this time around, though at least on the ground floor I'm shocked at how inefficient and weak healing is.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My experience with AR leech healing is horrifically skewed, as I've got the three talismans from the Park spinoff game, and the healing talisman has a rating of about ~980 ish I think.
Between that and the blade survivability, it's kept me alive through a lot of leveling, and in some situations that I would likely have died - I chewed through a train that some newb landed on me, though I had to move quick and prioritize targets, and rely on a few potions and backup heals to do it.

I'm debating switching to a pistols/shotgun damage build, but I'm in the middle of Egypt, and don't have a decent alternative in terms of sheer damage potential to my assault rifle.
I've started to collect crafting components by melting down large amounts of loot from missions and kills, and debating trying to get a couple of blue weapon toolkits and blue glyph toolkits from the market to see what happens if I make a level appropriate weapon myself, and fit it with QL10 glyphs, but perhaps I should wait until I clear Egypt and can equip QL10 greens for all the gear I'm looking to equip?

I wasn't aware that #awful was still running in-game though - I'll add it when I get chance, and skim through the two (three now I guess) goon gaming mumbles I have access to.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Flavor Truck posted:

Hey folks, I'm playing TSW again and working through a lot of the main story content. If you want to join an :siren: Illuminati cabal for goons, :siren: send FlavorTruck a message in-game or hit me up in #awful and I'll send you an invite to Goonthulhu. I'll promote anyone who joins so they can recruit new members.

This isn't anything serious, just a dumb in-game cabal for goons to join and belong to. If it gets enough members (doubtful) then I'll gladly step down and give full control to the more active members. In the meantime, I'm hoping we can all benefit from whatever being in a cabal does..

I found a guild named scorpio that is quite good. Ill hop on #awful but I don't think ill be switching cabals sorry. In game name is Clause if you want help or want to run anything.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Thinking about giving this a shot after all these years. I genuinely enjoy Age of Conan and the Illuminati already probably reads my chats so I might as well try it. Who wants to drop me a trial code?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Hey folks, I got interested in TSW after watching some Let's Plays of the thing and I noticed the sale going on Steam, and I have a question - is it worth getting the Ultimate edition of the game, or can I just go with the base one for 15$?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Trial code: AW5L84JPSKLL5ETDKVJP
If you want one that you'll upgrade from, pm me a suitable email, and I'll send it direct.

As for whether or not you'd want to upgrade?

The base game is fine, and covers the core content (all the leveling areas, and most of the dungeons, and content "issues" 1-4).
The ultimate edition gives you a bunch of extra bonuses including the rest of the issues through to issue 11 (we're now on content issue 12, with 13 on the way and being teased currently).
Each "issue" is just a fancy word for DLC content (extra missions, dungeons, etc).
You'll also get a bunch of sidestories (extra missions).
The beginner weapons will hold you through the first area for the most part (although you'll eventually find better stuff anyway).
The free month of membership will give you 1200 bonus points (that's, like, :10bux: of free cash store money).
They're not kidding about the money saved when they say it's $162 for that pack. For about £22 (so that's, what, $30?) that's pretty painless for a buy-to-play given the deal that's running right now.

At the current price, and if you're dead serious about jumping in, for the prices available, I'd say go for the ultimate.
I don't know how (or even if) you can upgrade down the line.

If you don't think you'll be too crazy about it, or you just plain don't know, then grab a trial off someone to test it out and that'll give you a taste of what the base $15 version is like.
Judging by how this thread went over the past few years, the endgame still sounds like it'll be a bit dull and grindy (I've not reached it so I don't know if that assessment has changed), but what I've played so far (leveling content through Kingsmouth and Egypt) has been pretty awesome, well written story stuff. Probably might have been better in some ways as a single player game, but the multiplayer content with other players/goons can be pretty fun on voice comms.
If you want a few little extras, The Park (they made a glorified tech demo that's also one of those "horror" walking simulator things - it's not amazing, but it could be worse, and gives you a little extra insight into one of the corners of Solomon Island, the early leveling area) might be handy as you'll get some vaguely handy in-game items, and some extra outfit stuff if you like to play barbie with your characters or whatever. In-game clothing is pretty drat easy to acquire using in-game cash though, so clothing options really aren't a big deal. The price is something like $10-$15 ish, though if there's a deal one you might get it cheaper than that.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Thanks for the code. How long is it good for? I just remembered I'm heading out of town for three days starting tomorrow so obviously now was a poor time to ask for it...

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I am quite serious about playing the game, although there's the simple fact I've no idea how much I will be able to actually play it, because work. However since I was thinking of buying the base game for it's usual 30$ price, I figure I might as well go for the Ultimate one anyway.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zipline posted:

Thanks for the code. How long is it good for? I just remembered I'm heading out of town for three days starting tomorrow so obviously now was a poor time to ask for it...

That one's a 3 day one.
I sent it to my email that I use for junkmail catching but I guess you can just change the account email or something and it still counts (I have no clue).
That said I think the trial time starts when it's activated (I hope).

Jenx posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I am quite serious about playing the game, although there's the simple fact I've no idea how much I will be able to actually play it, because work. However since I was thinking of buying the base game for it's usual 30$ price, I figure I might as well go for the Ultimate one anyway.

In that case, then yeah, may as well go for the ultimate.
You get way more content, for just a tiny bit less than the usual sale price of the base game, and your early game play is also made a little easier thanks to the extra gear.
Membership isn't a big deal so the one month will be fine (you'll get 10 veteran points, which you earn for being subscribed or recruiting people, and 1200 cash store point which you can use to buy additional DLC or fancy clothes. I'd be tempted to suggest getting the DLC, as that gives you more game to play).

Also - doesn't really matter which server you join except in terms of which PvP group you'll be in - a lot of goons joined Grim early on I think, but now it's not really a big deal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jenx posted:

The nice thing about TSW is that there is enough content in the quest system that you can play the game off and on and not really feel the loss.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The nice thing about TSW is that there is enough content in the quest system that you can play the game off and on and not really feel the loss.

There is also no subscription fee so feel free to take a break!

Make sure to join #sanctuary chat channel (Setup an auto login script, its on the first page). This will make the game feel more like an MMO, since the starter area is a bit barren.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Some good new player advice: make sure to do the dungeons, even if you don't do anything else.

Exmond posted:

This will make the game feel more like an MMO,

Woah now, let's not go crazy here.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

/chat join #awful and introduce your darn self!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Edit: Wohoo, problem solved. Man, custom service is fast at Funcom!

Now to just figure out what kind of character I want to play and what server I want to be on.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 27, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Servers only matter for PvP since you can group up with anyone anywhere otherwise and do poo poo. As for character builds it doesn't take long to fill out the entire inner wheel and experiment with what you like best to go deeper into and the decks while not great should give you a decent idea of what stuff plays like and there's always combinations unless you want to go for assault rifles which are fairly self contained and your second weapon becomes decoration.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Jenx posted:

Edit: Wohoo, problem solved. Man, custom service is fast at Funcom!

Now to just figure out what kind of character I want to play and what server I want to be on.

It's Grim. Just roll Illuminati on Grim.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Morglon posted:

Servers only matter for PvP since you can group up with anyone anywhere otherwise and do poo poo. As for character builds it doesn't take long to fill out the entire inner wheel and experiment with what you like best to go deeper into and the decks while not great should give you a decent idea of what stuff plays like and there's always combinations unless you want to go for assault rifles which are fairly self contained and your second weapon becomes decoration.

Nah this is not what I mean. I don't really care what ability build I want to do - I think I want to use shotguns to start with, since their skills seem interesting, but beyond that I don't really care.

Nah I'm talking about what character to make, because yes, I am such a loving nerd that this does matter to me. On that note, I am severely disappointed by the lack of body-shapes and facial hair in the character generator. I wanted to make a huge, hair bastard with wild hair and wilder beard, except the best I can do is a sort of colored shadow on the lower end of his face.

As for server - yeah I guess I'll go Grim. I was thinking of making a character on the RP server just to minimize the chance of running into 'zerokilar2' when I'm walking along.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
With the way instancing works I don't think that's entirely and option but keep in mind that this is a world where people with stupid names are entirely canon because it is modern day and the internet exists.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Jenx posted:

I was thinking of making a character on the RP server just to minimize the chance of running into 'zerokilar2' when I'm walking along.

Literally everyone is an anime so it doesn't matter anyway. Go Illum. and zum yer bum.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jenx posted:

As for server - yeah I guess I'll go Grim. I was thinking of making a character on the RP server just to minimize the chance of running into 'zerokilar2' when I'm walking along.

Not that it has ever meant much anywhere, but given that your player name is essentially a screen name in universe, xXxSephiROTH420xXx is perfectly acceptable, even on RP servers.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Warmachine posted:

Not that it has ever meant much anywhere, but given that your player name is essentially a screen name in universe, xXxSephiROTH420xXx is perfectly acceptable, even on RP servers.

And if you'd like, I can free up the name "LilithLilith 'LilithLilith' LilithLilith" for you.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

And if you'd like, I can free up the name "LilithLilith 'LilithLilith' LilithLilith" for you.

Spoilers, Geez!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You should take Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich or Bettlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is also acceptable.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Luger "FlavorTruck" Axehandle welcomes you to this bad game.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Installing now. How hard will I have to work to get 30 missions done in 3 days?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It will be quite easy, 4 hours most I feel unless you kinda dally.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Also, most missions are repeatable daily, so you can even go back for some of the quicker ones you've already done if you're in a pinch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

You know, I just realized I did this wrong. The correct answer was to roll Illuminati, with the name "xXxSephiROTHSCHILD420xXx".

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Do you have to complete the 30 missions on one character, or is that per account? I'm having a difficult time figuring out which faction I want to play as. I've gathered that mechanically there's no difference but thematically they're worlds apart. Story is really really important to me, way more than gameplay or graphics, so it's an important decision.

EDIT: Also, when do I get new clothes? I don't want to be running around in jeans. Give me a suit dammit.

Zipline fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zipline posted:

Do you have to complete the 30 missions on one character, or is that per account? I'm having a difficult time figuring out which faction I want to play as. I've gathered that mechanically there's no difference but thematically they're worlds apart. Story is really really important to me, way more than gameplay or graphics, so it's an important decision.

EDIT: Also, when do I get new clothes? I don't want to be running around in jeans. Give me a suit dammit.

You can buy clothes in London, basic options aren't very expensive.

• Locked thread