Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

This guy, Inhofe, is the absolute most dangerous guy flying when he is in the air.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Because he is the only person completely untouchable by the FAA.

Even John Kerry probably couldn't get away with anything.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm spinning up a flight school and the dispatchers at home base want two-way radio comms with the ops area. There's a ridge in the way. We do have a building in the ops area with power and internet access.

I imagine we could lease space on an antenna farm on the ridge and do a licensed repeater, but that's fantastically expensive. It would be way cheaper to site something at our existing building.

I could also easily do monitoring only with a scanner and a computer, like liveatc.net does, but 2 way seems to be a requirement.

Does anyone know of any solutions that would allow for FCC approved 2-way comms with a VOIP backhaul or something, or even know a company I can talk to with expertise in the space? I'm starting from zero.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KS posted:

I'm spinning up a flight school and the dispatchers at home base want two-way radio comms with the ops area. There's a ridge in the way. We do have a building in the ops area with power and internet access.

I imagine we could lease space on an antenna farm on the ridge and do a licensed repeater, but that's fantastically expensive. It would be way cheaper to site something at our existing building.

I could also easily do monitoring only with a scanner and a computer, like liveatc.net does, but 2 way seems to be a requirement.

Does anyone know of any solutions that would allow for FCC approved 2-way comms with a VOIP backhaul or something, or even know a company I can talk to with expertise in the space? I'm starting from zero.

I'd check out the amateur radio thread and see if they have any input. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275&perpage=40

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KS posted:

ATC air to ground radio comms at my last facility were VOIP (we'd get an extra half second of lag during peak internet traffic). I have no idea what really goes into it, but it's definitely something that's done.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I would like to highly recommend AceCFI.com for your Flight Instructor Renewal Course needs.

Basically, I started at 2 and finished by 3:30

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 17, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Table breaker. Don't you have enough passes to just go to the FSDO and get it renewed free? Or are you not instructing as often?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I'm in the middle of doing mine with American Flyers

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yay I'm flying into a blizzard in Denver wooo. Haha just kidding I'm ground delayed for an hour at least. What a mess.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

Yay I'm flying into a blizzard in Denver wooo. Haha just kidding I'm ground delayed for an hour at least. What a mess.

I'm just glad that somebody wiser than us decided to cancel our Denver turn out of SLC, but now we've been sitting in SeaTac for the last 4 hours :byodood:

E: annnnnd we just got further delayed due to MX issues, oh joy

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 18, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
My first CFI renewal, I decided to go to an in-person class instead of online, since I figured that it would be a little more engaging with discussions, etc. Holy poo poo was I wrong. We got a binder full of material, and literally for the entire 2 days the instructor read through the binder straight through, like some sort of mediaeval monk university.

Never again.

Now I do American Flyers online (lifetime deal) which seems to be the standard among the people I know.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah I have always heard about American Flyers.

AceCFI was AWESOME.

Completed the course in 1hour 30minutes, got my temporary certificate at 5:54pm today.

Entire renewal in less than 24 hours. Pretty epic.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

I'm just glad that somebody wiser than us decided to cancel our Denver turn out of SLC, but now we've been sitting in SeaTac for the last 4 hours :byodood:

E: annnnnd we just got further delayed due to MX issues, oh joy

I got to spend today getting the crap kicked out of me in SEA and PDX, (plus some Montana for good measure) with moderate turbulence, moderate icing, 30kt gusting crosswinds, and lots of hand flying when the autopilot decides that it doesn't want to work in turbulence any more.

Adding to the fun was a 153kt headwind from BZN to SEA, which meant a 200kt ground speed, and two hours of completely random patches of moderate turbulence.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Because he is the only person completely untouchable by the FAA.

Even John Kerry probably couldn't get away with anything.

Nobody I work with can explain why either. They all know he basically does whatever whenever he wants. No matter what happens, he is NEVER officially at fault. Even if (and no poo poo this has literally happened I've heard the recordings) he is told to hold short of a runway, he reads it back verbatim, and he enters that same runway and lines up for take off. But some how...it is the controller's fault.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

azflyboy posted:

I got to spend today getting the crap kicked out of me in SEA and PDX, (plus some Montana for good measure) with moderate turbulence, moderate icing, 30kt gusting crosswinds, and lots of hand flying when the autopilot decides that it doesn't want to work in turbulence any more.

Adding to the fun was a 153kt headwind from BZN to SEA, which meant a 200kt ground speed, and two hours of completely random patches of moderate turbulence.

I am glad I am not flying today. A buddy flew through severe.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Nobody I work with can explain why either. They all know he basically does whatever whenever he wants. No matter what happens, he is NEVER officially at fault. Even if (and no poo poo this has literally happened I've heard the recordings) he is told to hold short of a runway, he reads it back verbatim, and he enters that same runway and lines up for take off. But some how...it is the controller's fault.

So uh, about your airports new multimillion dollar grant.........

CITY TOWN - The Airport in xxx County will receive $4.7 million in federal, state and local matching funds, according to the STATE Aeronautics Commission. The funding is part of the commission's statewide airport Capital Improvement Program for fiscal years 2016-2018.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
4.7mil seems like a reasonable payment to be able to endanger fellow aviators/passengers.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah I hope that jerk gets voted out in the next election.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

He is the chairperson for the senate committee on the environment and public works of which one of the sub committees is responsible for transportation. Its not the "main" committee for transportation, but under senate rules he has effective veto power over all legislation involving the FAA including their funding.

In other words, if you find him at fault you may suddenly find that there is no more budget for enforcement.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

Much better weather today, but we swap into the same CRJ giving us issues yesterday and end up canceling. yes, same MX issue as yesterday...leaving us in Spokane for an unexpected 18 hour layover, boy this trip is ending up full of great surprises :rolleyes:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Inhofe is a horrible person in any context.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

He is the chairperson for the senate committee on the environment and public works of which one of the sub committees is responsible for transportation. Its not the "main" committee for transportation, but under senate rules he has effective veto power over all legislation involving the FAA including their funding.

In other words, if you find him at fault you may suddenly find that there is no more budget for enforcement.

What has literally happened before, a few times, is that he has been at fault per every drat reg there is, yet the controllers have been the one paying the price. Time on the street, threatened to lose job, yada yada.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clearly congressmen need their own call sign like Air Force One and Air Force Two

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Air Farce One?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
SHTHDxx <senator number>
DHBGxxx <representative number>

Shithead two-four you are cleared to do whatever the gently caress you want

Douchebag one-eight-three report the field in sight, if you want to, but if you don't that's cool too

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Butt Reactor posted:

Much better weather today, but we swap into the same CRJ giving us issues yesterday and end up canceling. yes, same MX issue as yesterday...leaving us in Spokane for an unexpected 18 hour layover, boy this trip is ending up full of great surprises :rolleyes:

Day 1 for me was getting stuck in SEA for a few hours waiting to go to Denver due to their blizzard. Finally get to Den, head back for sea, r1 door seal comes a bit off and there's loud whistling for an hour annoying everybody and the cabin pressure controller was working overtime. Finally land in Seattle and it was fairly white knuckle all the way down with that crazy rear end hurricane that seemed parked over the field and the 20 kts of wind shear. Then we head to Vancouver after a mx issue that almost caused a plane swap for a very short rest overnight (8 hrs behind the door counts!). Fortunately, day 2 and 3 went easy with only minor weather and planes that decided to work. Which is good, because that day killed me.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

overdesigned posted:

SHTHDxx <senator number>
DHBGxxx <representative number>

Shithead two-four you are cleared to do whatever the gently caress you want

Douchebag one-eight-three report the field in sight, if you want to, but if you don't that's cool too

Your post was not sarcasm at all, sadly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Your post was not sarcasm at all, sadly.

Its more a warning to other pilots on frequency.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Its more a warning to other pilots on frequency.

Oh, they know too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is the special issuance process for Bill of Rights II retroactive or would somebody who got dinged once before have to go through again?

CharlesM posted:

Senator/Representative is a horrible person in any context.

Isn't Manchin somehow involved in aviation as well? I remember seeing him on one of the panels Sully spoke in front of recently, seemingly stroking himself to be in Sully's presence.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 22, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is the special issuance process for Bill of Rights II retroactive or would somebody who got dinged once before have to go through again?

Isn't Manchin somehow involved in aviation as well? I remember seeing him on one of the panels Sully spoke in front of recently, seemingly stroking himself to be in Sully's presence.

Doesn't every politician do that, though? He tells them all what they want to hear and he's an American Hero!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

CBJSprague24 posted:

You need to get your SI once, then after that you can comply with the pbor2 by following up with your regular doctor.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ok, I've already done SI once so it sounds like I might be good. Thanks for clarifying.

MrChips posted:

Our favourite youtuber has struck again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZE0nE60sk

The guard police clip :laffo:

I'd love to know more about GUARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD horror stories. Are there really obnoxious Guard Nazis/Trolls monitoring the frequency? I could easily believe it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ok, I've already done SI once so it sounds like I might be good. Thanks for clarifying.

I'd love to know more about GUARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD horror stories. Are there really Guard Nazis/Trolls monitoring the frequency?

There's someone in the South Florida area, or at least someone who flies through here semi-regularly, who keys up on guard, and let's fly with an absolutely perfect Chewbacca, every couple weeks. No other sounds, just Chewie.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd love to know more about GUARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD horror stories. Are there really obnoxious Guard Nazis/Trolls monitoring the frequency? I could easily believe it.

All day, every day.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

There's someone in the South Florida area, or at least someone who flies through here semi-regularly, who keys up on guard, and let's fly with an absolutely perfect Chewbacca, every couple weeks. No other sounds, just Chewie.

I might know this guy. Keep an eye on NK flights.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ladies and gents, welcome to ab initio training in the United States. 0 to E-190 in 1500 hours flat with JetBlue: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-25/jetblue-to-shake-up-hiring-on-start-from-scratch-pilot-training

I wonder how this affects the existing development program which involved Cape Air and ExpressJet. Do they work an R-ATP in there to get some multi/passenger flying/turbine time or does "gently caress you, got ours" apply?

The Ferret King posted:

All day, every day.

I can't (no wait, I CAN) believe there are toolbags out there who bitch when you do what's depicted in the video. :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

I might know this guy. Keep an eye on NK flights.

Please tell him that his color commentary, while officially frowned upon, is loving amazing.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Please tell him that his color commentary, while officially frowned upon, is loving amazing.

Not sure I've heard this part but in a previous life he did a drat good Chewy often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

Not sure I've heard this part but in a previous life he did a drat good Chewy often.

I was speaking of the Chewy.

• Locked thread