Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

blah_blah posted:

It's tough to compare West Coast styles with faux-Belgians but IMO BC is better now. Driftwood in particular is arguably the best brewery in Canada.

What I've had of Driftwood is indeed superb, but to call DDC "faux-Belgian" is outright insanity. They can do Belgian-style as well as anyone, but they also offer very solid renditions of the West Coast IPA and Double IPA, as well as good pilsner, and even Berliner-style sour, in addition to flavoured stouts, normal stouts, imperial stouts, and flavoured imperial stouts. Then, if you go to the pub instead of buying the bottles, they'll offer up wonderful oddities like a green tea-flavoured wheat bear (which sounds disgusting, but is in fact the greatest thing ever). Or they'll give into whimsy and combine a fine IPA with a cream ale, to create a nicely balanced, yet hoppy India Cream Ale.

Basically what I'm getting as is: we need to have a showdown between Driftwood and DDC and we need to be the judges. There's so much amazingly fantastic beer in this country BUT NONE OF IT loving COMES FROM ALBERTA, because everyone in this province has a child's palate. That's why I'm against the new tax structure: because we're literally protecting the least competent brewers in the entire goddamn country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

PT6A posted:

What I've had of Driftwood is indeed superb, but to call DDC "faux-Belgian" is outright insanity. They can do Belgian-style as well as anyone, but they also offer very solid renditions of the West Coast IPA and Double IPA, as well as good pilsner, and even Berliner-style sour, in addition to flavoured stouts, normal stouts, imperial stouts, and flavoured imperial stouts. Then, if you go to the pub instead of buying the bottles, they'll offer up wonderful oddities like a green tea-flavoured wheat bear (which sounds disgusting, but is in fact the greatest thing ever). Or they'll give into whimsy and combine a fine IPA with a cream ale, to create a nicely balanced, yet hoppy India Cream Ale.

Basically what I'm getting as is: we need to have a showdown between Driftwood and DDC and we need to be the judges. There's so much amazingly fantastic beer in this country BUT NONE OF IT loving COMES FROM ALBERTA, because everyone in this province has a child's palate. That's why I'm against the new tax structure: because we're literally protecting the least competent brewers in the entire goddamn country.

Doesn't the new tax structure harmonize everything in BC and Alberta? I thought it was set up to protect microbrews out here in the west or something. Surely we can send some of our amazing Driftwood beer to you unwashed masses on the prairies.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

jm20 posted:

Food chat -> beer chat -> ???

I started lurking CanPol once I started getting interested in the election cycle. Good to see this happens elsewhere on these dumb forums as well.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Excelzior posted:

we're about due for a derail on weed now

did CI get banned

The SJWs got him

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

M.McFly posted:

Doesn't the new tax structure harmonize everything in BC and Alberta? I thought it was set up to protect microbrews out here in the west or something. Surely we can send some of our amazing Driftwood beer to you unwashed masses on the prairies.

I believe the new tax structure only benefits Alberta producers. It doesn't make things any worse for out-of-province producers, but it does hurt their competitive edge. I'd say good breweries like Phillips, DDC, Driftwood, etc., have little to worry about since they aren't competing on price to begin with.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Flying monkeys does some good poo poo. BTW. One of the jobs I am trying to get post election is in a brewery here in o town so there we go.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If you want interesting, creative beers then stop by Storm Brewing in East Van.

Pineapple upside down cake pilsner? Sure
Vanilla whiskey stout? You got it
Gin and tonic pilsner? Well that shouldn't work but ok
Orange creamsicle ale? gently caress it why not

They change the lineup all the time and post it on Instagram. The "tasting room" is right in the middle of their brew floor and the entrance is at the loading dock. It's a pretty unique experience.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Number19 posted:

They change the lineup all the time and post it on Instagram. The "tasting room" is right in the middle of their brew floor and the entrance is at the loading dock. It's a pretty unique experience.

I'm game. If I should ever make it out to Vancouver, I'll look it up. I love beers that make you go "it shouldn't work, but inexplicably it does" instead of the Alberta pattern of "wait, how did you gently caress this classic style up so badly?"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

jm20 posted:

On to the one redeeming factor of Big Rock brewing: Rock Creek cider. Decent stuff, but there are acceptable alternatives, should Big Rock implode under the weight of Alberta's new taxes.
And where's my mandatory gay weed huh?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

jm20 posted:

reasonably certain transit is next up

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

On to the one redeeming factor of Big Rock brewing: Rock Creek cider. Decent stuff, but there are acceptable alternatives, should Big Rock implode under the weight of Alberta's new taxes.
And where's my mandatory gay weed huh?

No, Big Rock is strengthened by the new tax system, because they are a local producer -- they all get advantages under the new tax structure. Also, Rock Creek was good until they decided that it all needed to be spiced, which is disgusting and bad and they should all be thrown off a cliff. I'll spice the poo poo myself if I want it spiced, thank you very much.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Was this posted yet? Sure to give CI an aneurysm

Lots of good breweries here on the Island. Hoyne and VI Brewing probably my favorites. I'm also lucky enough to live near a Spinnaker's liquor store that sells Gueuze, which has to be one of the most delicious beverages ever conceived.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

JawKnee posted:

reasonably certain transit is next up

gently caress the ttc

gently caress IT

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Afraid of Audio posted:

gently caress the ttc

gently caress IT

For $150 you get to travel pretty decently around the city. Contrast this with a low end monthly TCO estimate of say $600 a month for a car, before parking fees. The bald Englishman is doing good things, now they need some costs to be uploaded to higher levels of government.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

No, Big Rock is strengthened by the new tax system, because they are a local producer -- they all get advantages under the new tax structure. Also, Rock Creek was good until they decided that it all needed to be spiced, which is disgusting and bad and they should all be thrown off a cliff. I'll spice the poo poo myself if I want it spiced, thank you very much.

Oh poo poo, I thought the spiced stuff was just a different flavour of cider. I didn't realise it was all spiced. Oh well, there's still lonetree/duke's/merridale.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

jm20 posted:

I like to think this is us warming up to weed chat if and/or when it becomes legal. Everyone just sort of talking about their overpriced craft strains while no one admits that they just buy a great big bag of cheap domestic crap on Fridays to forget about the week.

e: \/\/\/You'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes, Luxuror scum! :argh:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Hey guys you absolutely need to know this: I ate or drank a thing once and it was good

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

They also produce one of my favorite beers, the Imperial Flanders red sour ale. They aren't just good for wacky beers.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the food and beer chat started with people trying to steer the conversation away from that one idiot who was going on about all refugees being terrorists

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mewnie posted:

Beertalk: I just drink Sol. Because it's cheap and it's everywhere in Mexico. (also because Corona is the "hey I'm a big dumb tourist" beer) It's me, I'm the beer troglodyte.

Don't feel bad for drinking bro-beers, I drink all over the spectrum and can chill with a Dos Equis then Propeller ESB (seriously good Maritime beer, lightning in a bottle for Propeller)

I enjoy something from Unibroue once in a while, especially now that they have their "Sommelier" Samplers out, but whatever yeast they use has a very distinctive taste that makes everything sort of same-y

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Good Lord, it's like a gang of Morris dancers descended on the thread.

Not that that's a bad thing, but the resemblance is uncanny.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kly posted:

the food and beer chat started with people trying to steer the conversation away from that one idiot who was going on about all refugees being terrorists

Let's move the chat towards right wingers being unsophisticated bigots then.

quote:

http://www.680news.com/2015/11/16/muslim-woman-attacked-outside-childrens-school-flemingdon-park/

Toronto police say they are treating a brazen assault on a Muslim woman near an elementary school in the Flemingdon Park area as a hate crime.

The woman was picking up her children from Grenoble Public School on Monday when she was attacked by two men, police told 680 NEWS and CityNews.

Police said the incident occurred around 3 p.m. near Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue East.

The two men approached the woman and started hurling anti-Islamic and racist profanities at her.

Police said the men started calling the woman a “terrorist” and said “go back to your country.”

One of the men started punching the woman in the stomach and a second man ripped off her hijab during the assault. The woman yelled for them to stop.

Police said her cellphone was stolen during the assault.

:sigh:

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/kitchener-ram-dham-hindu-temple-windows-smashed-by-vandals-1.3320866

Waterloo Regional Police are investigating after two windows were smashed at the Ram Dham Hindu temple in Kitchener's Bridgeport neighbourhood.

Investigators say someone heaved five stones through the two window panes at about 11:15 p.m. on Sunday night.

Hindu temple vandalism :nallears:

quote:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6120512-internet-hoaxers-tricked-the-world-into-believing-canadian-man-was-a-paris-terrorist/

Veerender Jubbal found himself on the defensive this weekend — and for the worst of reasons.

Sikh being portrayed as an islamic extremist because, y'know beards and a turban :nallears:

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/peterborugh-mosque-fire-1.3320488

A crowdfunding campaign to raise money for repairs to mosque in Peterborough, Ont., that was damaged in a fire set deliberately on Saturday has hit its goal of $80,000.

The mosque was damaged in a fire late Saturday night. An entry on the fundraising website FundRazr set a goal of $80,000, the estimated cost to repair the Kawartha Muslim Religious Association's mosque. That total was reached just after noon today.

:boom:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Let's move the chat towards right wingers being unsophisticated bigots then.

Don Mills and Eglington? Yeah, probably right wingers. You don't see the irony at all about stereotyping a large group of people while posting a story about people who were stereotyping a large group of people?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Don Mills and Eglington? Yeah, probably right wingers. You don't see the irony at all about stereotyping a large group of people while posting a story about people who were stereotyping a large group of people?

:thejoke:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Freeze posted:

Was this posted yet? Sure to give CI an aneurysm

Lots of good breweries here on the Island. Hoyne and VI Brewing probably my favorites. I'm also lucky enough to live near a Spinnaker's liquor store that sells Gueuze, which has to be one of the most delicious beverages ever conceived.

The comments on weed legalization articles will never stop being funny to me.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

Sikh being portrayed as an islamic extremist because, y'know beards and a turban :nallears:

It gets better.

quote:

Judging by Jubbal's tweets, he suspects that he was targeted by Gamergate activists.

"Gamers are absolute garbage like I have been saying for a full year," Jubbal wrote. "People will not stop harassing, and bothering me. I am cute as gosh. Learn the difference between me being a Sikh, and a Muslim. This image has been used, and placed on the front page of a major Spain newspaper — putting me as one of the people behind terrorist attacks. In gauging this entire incident — millions upon millions of people have seen the photoshopped images, and have placed me as a terrorist."

Jubbal's purported crime was being Sikh and a vocal critic of Gamergate, the online movement that has been credited with targeting feminist and anti-racist gaming critics with death threats, forcing organizers to shutter events. Gamergate's harassment of its critics has also included doxxing and "swatting," the practice of making a false report to police so that law enforcement descends on the targeted person's house with a SWAT team.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

M.McFly posted:

Sorry to bring beerchat back, but nobody actually answered this question. I made this chart for someone else a few weeks ago. Horizontal axis is yearly production.

Note that your average Vancouver brewery+growlershop+tasting room opened in the last 5 years is probably still well below 5,000hL per year. It's only the bigger guys like Phillips, Driftwood, Central City, etc. that get into the 10,000-50,000hL range. Big Rock is likely the only non-macro brewer in Alberta above the huge 200,000hL jump.

Alberta's new tax is a lot more progressive than BC's. Hopefully it will help kickstart the industry, which is lagging behind the rest of the continent due to recently repealed laws that made it pretty hard to run a small brewery.

Muskoka's whining is likely more about the fact that breweries outside of Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan are no longer eligible for any of the reduced fees, no matter what their actual production levels are. Muskoka was likely facing an increase from $0.30 to $1.25 for each litre of beer shipped to Alberta, which I'd guess is somewhere between a 25% to 50% increase in their cost of goods sold, certainly enough to make pulling out of a market a rational decision, and not just a "whaaaa NDP" move (though I'm sure that certainly didn't hurt things).

Pulling out of BC and Sask. was likely only done because it only made sense to send trucks out west with beer for the whole market. Not worth it for BC alone I guess.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 17, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Gamers are absolute garbage

Well, he's not wrong.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kreez posted:

Muskoka's whining is likely more about the fact that breweries outside of Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan are no longer eligible for any of the reduced fees, no matter what their actual production levels are. Muskoka was likely facing an increase from $0.30 to $1.25 for each litre of beer shipped to Alberta, which I'd guess is somewhere between a 25% to 50% increase in their cost of goods sold, certainly enough to make pulling out of a market a rational decision, and not just a "whaaaa NDP" move (though I'm sure that certainly didn't hurt things).

In the 2014 election, they donated $300 to the OLP and $500 to the OPC parties. Plus their standard beers are green, red or blue. Safe to say Muskoka hates the NDP.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

Beau's, to me, has the same creative approach as DDC and if you get a chance you should try some of their beer. Not as world class, and with less selection though since I think they're a smaller operation. Although chances are all you'll be able to get is Lug Tread.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't remember what I drank last night, something from Quebec. Nice and hoppy though.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, he's not wrong.

This. I've been gaming since childhood- born in 88 and the NES was my first system, but somewhere around my mid 20s I got real tired of the community in general. I've never seen a group of people so angry and unpleasant as FPS-pros and the MOBA community, and hearing 'human being', 'bitch', and all kinds of racially motivated epithets being thrown around lost its appeal. That plus the samey-ness of most competitive multiplayer MOBAs and FPSes got old.

Then gamergate happened and I pretty much opted out of identifying as a 'gamer' at all. I'm happy playing my single player games and roguelikes

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

brucio posted:

How are Brad Wall's prospects in next spring's provincial election? Any credible challenge?

Meh.

Broten seems capable but I don't know if there is enough hard times to unseat the Conservatives this election cycle.

And Wall could be making those comments because he's a bigot, but I can guarantee a lot of constituents are concerned about this sort of thing and he could just be playing to that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

"Hmmm, we have a great area that is central to Winnipeg and everyone can get in and out with ease -- lets put it in the south end and bottleneck the roads to exist since 75% of the people are heading one direction!"

There was Vic Toews fuckery going on with the selection of that location, so it's no wonder in the slightest that it's a total clusterfuck.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, he's not wrong.

How Paris ISIS Terrorists May Have Used PlayStation 4 To Discuss And Plan Attacks

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ban Sony.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poizen Jam posted:

This. I've been gaming since childhood- born in 88 and the NES was my first system, but somewhere around my mid 20s I got real tired of the community in general. I've never seen a group of people so angry and unpleasant as FPS-pros and the MOBA community, and hearing 'human being', 'bitch', and all kinds of racially motivated epithets being thrown around lost its appeal. That plus the samey-ness of most competitive multiplayer MOBAs and FPSes got old.

Then gamergate happened and I pretty much opted out of identifying as a 'gamer' at all. I'm happy playing my single player games and roguelikes

Gamergate is still an ongoing thing? Gamers are the loving worst.

I spend a fair bit of time playing computer games, but holy poo poo is "esports" and "competitive gaming" the worst things that's happened in the industry for a long time. People should not be taking it this seriously. Same with regular sports really.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Poizen Jam posted:

Same but with 11 year head start on you. I was already done with "teenagers and their crap" when microphones let us experience The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (q.v.) in glorious surround swearing. People still figuring out how social skills work all crowded in a room getting mad at each other without anyone around to show them what they're doing is wrong turn into terrible people; who knew?

Anyone who applies a label to themselves based on their hobby is probably insufferable, but when that hobby is a semiprofessionalized version of a useless time and money sink you're pretty much guaranteed to meet some severely broken human beings. [ASK] me about competitive raiding :stonk:

(don't)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have an alright time with people playing Paradox games. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have an alright time with people playing Paradox games. :)

Paradox is loving awesome.