Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Medullah posted:

You can get a marauder/sentinel offhand saber or a mercenary/gunslinger offhand blaster. Take the barrel out and send it to your armstech, you can reverese engineer it and get the schematic for a 220 barrel or hilt. Be aware those schematics require a lot of expensive mats, including 2 Dark Matter catalysts which sell for 1.3 million each on the GTN.

This is exactly what I was doing - looking at the drat Inquisitor vendor and thinking "Gee, how am I supposed to get weapons?" Some weeks, the ol' brain just doesn't fire.

Does the same apply for 208 and 216s? I figure it'd be nice to kit out the alts with at least 208 weaponry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Moreau posted:

This is exactly what I was doing - looking at the drat Inquisitor vendor and thinking "Gee, how am I supposed to get weapons?" Some weeks, the ol' brain just doesn't fire.

Does the same apply for 208 and 216s? I figure it'd be nice to kit out the alts with at least 208 weaponry

Works for the 216s but the mats once you learn the schematic are the same as the 220.

Basically, just buy two Dark Matter Catalysts off the GTN if you want a 220 hilt or barrel and send it to me and I'll make you one. ;)

Medullah fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 17, 2015

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Works for the 216s but the mats once you learn the schematic are the same as the 220.

Basically, just buy two Dark Matter Catalysts off the GTN if you want a 220 guilt or barrel and send it to me and I'll make you one. ;)

I have 220 guilt already :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

I have 220 guilt already :smith:

Hardy har har

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Because it's no longer the hard mode high priority target.

You can get a marauder/sentinel offhand saber or a mercenary/gunslinger offhand blaster. Take the barrel out and send it to your armstech, you can reverese engineer it and get the schematic for a 220 barrel or hilt. Be aware those schematics require a lot of expensive mats, including 2 Dark Matter catalysts which sell for 1.3 million each on the GTN.

Can you get a 208 offhand, reverse-engineer it, and learn how to make 208 mainhands that don't require crazy materials?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The common crystal hilts couldn't be reverse engineered by my dude, so I don't think so.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kurieg posted:

The common crystal hilts couldn't be reverse engineered by my dude, so I don't think so.

I guess I need to learn how to raidoperate. I don't know how my Jedi is ever going to get equipment, though. :smith:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can you send mail across factions or if I do professions will I need crafters on both sides?

e: It figures they nerf companions after I spend 20 bucks worth of monopoly money on not getting Treek. Will it be worth ponying up the cash for her now? What about HK-51?

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 17, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

Can you send mail across factions or if I do professions will I need crafters on both sides?

You can send mail to anyone in your legacy, so yes.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Westy543 posted:

Also, is the GTN cross faction? I'd expect so since it's the galactic trade network, but... worth asking.

As far as I've discovered, the only cross faction GTN are the GTN kiosks located in the Promenade on Nar Shaddaa. It's slim pickings, but I found a tiny few of interesting things there.

VVV If so, then I need to learn how to GTN

Corzen fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 17, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm pretty sure they merged the GTN's a while ago. Like before Makeb IIRC.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
GTN is merged. The same armors get different models/names depending on your faction, unless it's a cartel item.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Corzen posted:

As far as I've discovered, the only cross faction GTN are the GTN kiosks located in the Promenade on Nar Shaddaa. It's slim pickings, but I found a tiny few of interesting things there.

VVV If so, then I need to learn how to GTN

This hasn't been true for years now. They merged all the GTN's in a very early patch. Like pretty close to launch as I recall. If you've been flying to Nar Shaddaa to do business this whole time... drat.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I did not know this before hand, but buying Battlefront gives you a code in SWTOR for a tauntaun mount and thermal retention suit (like Han wears at the beginning of ESB). I don't know if this code comes with console versions or digital downloads, but my "physical" PC copy has a code in it (I say physical, but there's no game disc in the box, it's just a code for the game).

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This hasn't been true for years now. They merged all the GTN's in a very early patch. Like pretty close to launch as I recall. If you've been flying to Nar Shaddaa to do business this whole time... drat.

I've been reading outdated information. :bang:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Bioware on the companion healing nerf

quote:

In KotFE, with a large focus on going back to story, we wanted to make sure that all of our story content was accessible to all of our players. The power that Companions bring to the table, definitely played a part in that accessibility. Companions, from a combat perspective, should complement and provide support to your character, not overshadow them. However, in looking at how strong Companions are, we may have gone a bit too far in that direction. Simply put, while playing through much of the game, there are a lot of situations in regular combat where it is practically impossible for you to be killed if you have a healing Companion. Although this can be fun for a time, this wasn’t our goal. Companions should be strong, they should fill any role you need, but they should not make your actual gameplay be overshadowed by how strong they are.

So with 4.0.2 we have brought their effectiveness down quite a bit, let’s talk about some of the specifics here:

There isn’t a flat % that healing was reduced by. Effectiveness reduction varies greatly depending on level, Influence, level sync, etc. That being said, the healer companions are still quite competitive, but they no longer trivialize content that was meant to be challenging.
Healing power increase by Influence level has been increased. That means that as you scale up Influence levels with a Companion they will get more powerful per level than before. This helps to offset the base healing reduction a bit as you gain influence with your companion.
We did want to make some improvements to tanking Companions:

We increased the threat generated by tank companions, so they should be able to hold the attention of enemy NPCs better than before.
We fixed an issue involving the tank companion’s mass grapple ability, it will no longer pull in enemies that are out of combat.
Will your Companions feel a bit weaker than they did when KotFE launched? Yes. But believe me they will still carry their weight and fill the role you need them to in combat. All that we ask is that you log in tomorrow, and check the changes yourself. Play around with the Companions in each role and let us know your feedback. Thanks everyone.

pretty muich agree with all of this

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Bioware on the companion healing nerf

pretty muich agree with all of this

So juicing them up with gifts will offset the nerf. Good to know. As long as you have a roided-up Lana Beniko, never fear :v:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

As long as you have a roided-up Lana Beniko, never fear :v:

114k HP and nearly 7000 Mastery. :unsmigghh: Wonder if she's a match for Vaylin yet?

See what she looks like post-patch though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

114k HP and nearly 7000 Mastery. :unsmigghh: Wonder if she's a match for Vaylin yet?

See what she looks like post-patch though.

Mine has over 100K and she's only level 20 Influence. Can only imagine what she'll look like 30 levels later.

And I'm not sure I get it. Nerf base stats...but offset it by making stat gains from influence greater? All that means is that heroic content will be tougher with level 1-5 influence companions. Steroid the gently caress out of them, though, and stuff will be almost as trivial as before.

Oh, wait. I forgot, I'm not reacting like a real SWTOR addict. Ahem: "loving BIOFAIL WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS YOU'RE PUNISHING PLAYERS WHO WANT TO SOLO HEROIC CONTENT gently caress YOU I WILL UNSUB RIGHT NOW :qq:".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So since Lana apparently doesn't like pretty things, who can I give all these courting gifts the game keeps giving me.
Besides the obvious "mail them to someone else who does" option

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kurieg posted:

So since Lana apparently doesn't like pretty things, who can I give all these courting gifts the game keeps giving me.

You have to be romancing someone to give them Courting gifts, I believe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Wait and see, supposedly gift preferences got a bit of an overhaul with this patch. They could have made them useful.

Although you can always give them to Talos as he likes them no matter who you are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alter Ego posted:

You have to be romancing someone to give them Courting gifts, I believe.

Nope. Some companions like Lana don't like courting gifts even if you are romancing them, and some like courting gifts even if you're not romancing them (or indeed they're not a romance option at all). Nico Okarr will take them, for example, albeit at the lowest affection gain level.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Mine has over 100K and she's only level 20 Influence. Can only imagine what she'll look like 30 levels later.

And I'm not sure I get it. Nerf base stats...but offset it by making stat gains from influence greater? All that means is that heroic content will be tougher with level 1-5 influence companions. Steroid the gently caress out of them, though, and stuff will be almost as trivial as before.

I think the logic is somewhere along the lines of maybe your first trip through the game you shouldn't expect to be an unstoppable beast, but if you're on your 6th alt and you've literally done everything before... you've got the stuff in storage (or cash) to bump your companion up to 10+ just when you start the game. Not that you need to do a lot of heroic content while leveling, and also it seems that companion gifts drop a lot more frequently anyway.

Basically I figure the new recommendation for crafting on your first character should now be something that provides companion gifts, that way you can bank all the stuff your favorite on the first character doesn't love and you can probably get your second+ characters up pretty high from the start. It also feels to me like it'll be a pretty big advantage to stick with the "story" companion instead of the secondary hired guns but I don't know.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Nico Okarr, Talos Drellik and M1-4X will all accept courting gifts at the "like" rate.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Trying to decide what I want to play as on Imperial side. Having done a lot of KOTFE as a JK, how weird is the story for non-Force players? It sure seems to make a lot more sense as a Jedi or Sith to be dealing with this poo poo than some rando Imperial Agent unless there's some big changes.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Corzen posted:

Fun fact: there is another GTN kiosk that was cross-faction even back when there were faction restriction on the GTN: in Outlaw's Den on Tatooine. That was supposed to be one of the incentives to go to a free-for-all PVP area on a PVE server.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

shadok posted:

Nico Okarr, Talos Drellik and M1-4X will all accept courting gifts at the "like" rate.

one of these makes a lot less sense than the other!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Can you get a 208 offhand, reverse-engineer it, and learn how to make 208 mainhands that don't require crazy materials?

The 208 components can be reverse-engineered in that they break down into mats, but they're all set at a 0% chance to learn a schematic. So, no.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

one of these makes a lot less sense than the other!

M1-4X likes pretty much everything except Imperial Memorabilia. He's just very enthusiastic about gifts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tensokuu posted:

Trying to decide what I want to play as on Imperial side. Having done a lot of KOTFE as a JK, how weird is the story for non-Force players? It sure seems to make a lot more sense as a Jedi or Sith to be dealing with this poo poo than some rando Imperial Agent unless there's some big changes.

Shadow of Revan and then Ziost do a good job setting up the non-Force classes as being capable and logical choices for the Outlander role, assuming you're not one of those screaming lunatics on the Bioware forums who thinks that no non-Force-sensitive enemy or class should be of higher than weak or normal rating to Force-users past the first couple of planets and that Bioware's just pandering to Call of Duty kiddies by pretending non-Force classes have a prayer of beating someone with a lightsaber in a fair fight.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tensokuu posted:

I've done JK and IA, and they were both quite enjoyable. Your big conversations in the first few chapters will be somewhat different, and you don't feel like you shouldn't belong there just because you're not filthy with Midichlorians. But I think of my agent as Blue James Bond, so it makes perfect sense for the galaxy to revolve around him. :smuggo:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
does anyone not roll chiss on IA

they're so perfect for it

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Does anyone have any idea why they keep the gift casting time? It baffles me that they still haven't gotten rid of it. Hell, I wouldn't even mind it if they made it a legacy unlock, like the one for movement not to interrupt mount casting. Just, please, Bioware. Please.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Agent Spoilers
Yeah, My Agent is someone who has defeated Sith Lords, literally scared away or killed Dark Council Members, single handedly defeated the Space illuminati, and either has a box containing information on every single conspiracy and actor in the Galaxy. or is an incredibly well connected imperial actor who can talk freely and equally with the leader Darth Marr, who also may or may not be an Republic spy.

The Agent can stand on anywhere they want on the Galactic stage.

Bounty Hunter has a less impressive resume honestly outside of what every one did in Makeb, and Shadow of Revan.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shadok posted:

M1-4X likes pretty much everything except Imperial Memorabilia. He's just very enthusiastic about gifts.

M1-4X is the BEST companion, and I regret having played through trooper without him. Sadly, a tanking companion is useless for a tank character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

Bounty Hunter has a less impressive resume honestly outside of what every one did in Makeb, and Shadow of Revan.

Knocked off a/the Jedi Battlemaster, a legendary Jedi war hero (unrelated to the Battlemaster), potentially the Chancellor, and all manner of other targets extraordinarily elusive/deadly/supposedly nonexistent. The Bounty Hunter keeps getting sent after impossible targets, and brings them back dead or alive. You can run and you can hide from the Bounty Hunter, but either way you're only delaying the inevitable.

There's a reason the Bounty Hunter becomes the Dark Council's troubleshooter in the post-50 story, and why on Rishi the Hunter is seen by the galactic underworld as the Dark Council's deadliest enforcer.

A better resume than the Trooper, at any rate.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

Knocked off a/the Jedi Battlemaster, a legendary Jedi war hero (unrelated to the Battlemaster), potentially the Chancellor, and all manner of other targets extraordinarily elusive/deadly/supposedly nonexistent. The Bounty Hunter keeps getting sent after impossible targets, and brings them back dead or alive. You can run and you can hide from the Bounty Hunter, but either way you're only delaying the inevitable.

I must say, I was impressed at the mission where you blow up a whole frigate (or some kind of big-rear end ship) just to get one guy. That one felt like major-league overkill.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

Agent Spoilers
Yeah, My Agent is someone who has defeated Sith Lords, literally scared away or killed Dark Council Members, single handedly defeated the Space illuminati, and either has a box containing information on every single conspiracy and actor in the Galaxy. or is an incredibly well connected imperial actor who can talk freely and equally with the leader Darth Marr, who also may or may not be an Republic spy.

The Agent can stand on anywhere they want on the Galactic stage.

The ending of Act 1 is such a letdown because the up until that point you had been killing sith by the bucketload. But nope, this one's too strong, have to either wipe out half the galaxy or let him go. Either way You're getting mindfucked by the council for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

I must say, I was impressed at the mission where you blow up a whole frigate (or some kind of big-rear end ship) just to get one guy. That one felt like major-league overkill.

The quest says it's a planetary invasion cruiser, a one-stop shop for invading and conquering a small planet. :v:

• Locked thread