Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

J posted:

Maybe this guy just understands that "people don't want effective troubleshooting they want theater" thing you mentioned in another post. Blow away all the documentation and then run around in full view of everyone taking down information on printers as frantically as possible to impress a stupid boss. :derp:

If it was theater, he'd just pretend to do that, then use the documentation that already exists.

Maybe he was afraid that the documents would provide hard evidence that he's not as good as his predecessor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Somewhere, at some point down the line, they'll try to blame it on DT. I just know it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Theoretical smart new guy: "Last guy didn't leave much, but I'll figure it out."

<<Uses last guy's extensive documentation to do fantastic job quickly>>

Anything else is idiocy or ego.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh I of course kept my stuff backed up so I could take what I needed with me when I left. But after deleting every trace of me and my work he no longer had the benefit of it. I thought it was a strange thing to do and he could've made good use of much of what he wiped out.

When I left my last job I spent the last month making sure my documentation was up to scratch and easily accessible. I short I noted:
- What the system does
- How it's working
- Maintenance plans
- Common errors and how to fix them
- Custom edits and scripts not mentioned in the vendor documentation
- Copies of all scripts and configs
- PDF-copies of purchase and support contracts (you always need those when you contact HP Support)
- Names, numbers, and email for persons who can help, or be hired to help

I had a 3-month resignation period in my contract but negotiated it down to one month with the clause that I'd be willing to work remotely from my old job 3-5 days in the first year if the new guy needed assistance or just wanted me to be near when he'd be wrangling special systems. A few months after I quit I got off work early from my new job and dropped in the old place to say hi. I asked the new guy why he never asked for me to spend a day there and he said it was because there was no need. If he was in need of any information he could just look at my documentation. That felt pretty drat good.

Edit: I had three months in my contract, but enough PTO/vacation saved up to just walk out the door that second and spend the next three months getting paid for sitting at home - or I could start the new job early and get paid double! When my boss realized that he offered a one-month resignation and the rest paid out in one lump sum. First time ever I'd gotten a pay check for $12,500 after taxes (and probably last).

Dick Trauma posted:

Love the Eports. Lenovo USB docks however are pieces of poo poo.
Much love for Dell docks, but are you talking about the regular Lenovo USB-docks, or the newer OneLink docks? I haven't tried the OneLink docs, but they look kinda decent.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 17, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

J posted:

Maybe this guy just understands that "people don't want effective troubleshooting they want theater" thing you mentioned in another post. Blow away all the documentation and then run around in full view of everyone taking down information on printers as frantically as possible to impress a stupid boss. :derp:

I frequently get "excellent comms, thank you" from the head of department when I write up a really good incident report and email it to all concerned ... particularly when I broke it myself. We do often get more stick for things that don't break than rapidly fixing things that do. Even my beep-boopy sysadmin job is about 50% public relations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The worst issue I've ever seen with docks is people locking the laptops down on accident, and then trying to rip them out. I'd still way rather deal with that than troubleshooting a problem with someone's AC plug.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Apple power cables are trash, they get twisted up so easily and the rubber disintegrates.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Apple power cables are trash, they get twisted up so easily and the rubber disintegrates.

WTF are you doing with it? I've never had an issue with any of them once they moved the mag-safe.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'd like if Apple power cables were slightly thicker, but I've had no more issues with them than any other brand's adapters.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I've got about 900 of these that we send out each year for our students. At least 150 of them come back with rips in the cables. I mean, yeah, it's a bunch of teenagers not taking care of equipment, but that shouldn't account for that big a failure rate.

They also attract dirt like you wouldn't believe. Every summer, when they come back for cleanup, I end up going home reeking of lemon scented Clorox wipes after trying to get the gunk off of them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

flosofl posted:

WTF are you doing with it? I've never had an issue with any of them once they moved the mag-safe.

I feel like most people I know with a macbook have that same problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

They also attract dirt like you wouldn't believe. Every summer, when they come back for cleanup, I end up going home reeking of lemon scented Clorox wipes after trying to get the gunk off of them.
I think it's more that since the apple cables are white, the grime is a lot more visible. Most other manufacturers have black power cables and they get just as dirty but you don't notice it as much.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

I think it's more that since the apple cables are white, the grime is a lot more visible. Most other manufacturers have black power cables and they get just as dirty but you don't notice it as much.

I feel like the apple cables are a little gummier after a while. That may just be personal bias, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We just get black Apple cables from Monoprice. They've been pretty good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

frogbert posted:

You could do this with powershell assuming the partition you wanted to resize has free space after it:

code:
Import-Module Storage
$RecoveryPartition = Get-Partition | Where {($_.Size -eq 100MB)}
Resize-Partition -Size ($RecoveryPartition.Size + 400MB) -InputObject $RecoveryPartition
I'm pretty sure you don't have to import "storage" anymore, it should just figure it out.

Thanks, I think the dumb thing is that in Windows, you have to have free space actually "next to" the recovery partition. Like if the C partition comes after and you shave free space off the end of that, Disk Management won't let you tack it onto the recovery partition, which is bizarre but that's how it seems to be working for me. Is there a command to "move" the free space I shave from the C partition to sit right "after" the recovery partition so it can be tacked on?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The rubber that Apple cables are made of seems to hang onto grease and dirt whereas other cables tend to repel it - I don't know if this is a silicone/rubber vs. PVC thing. Either way, once skin grease and other poo poo soaks its way into an Apple cable it's only a matter of time until it splits next time it's bent.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, I think the dumb thing is that in Windows, you have to have free space actually "next to" the recovery partition. Like if the C partition comes after and you shave free space off the end of that, Disk Management won't let you tack it onto the recovery partition, which is bizarre but that's how it seems to be working for me. Is there a command to "move" the free space I shave from the C partition to sit right "after" the recovery partition so it can be tacked on?
Moving the beginning of a partition would require moving the entire partition, but moving the end of the partition just requires modifying the partition table to say this partition is now x sectors long. There's partition management prisms that will let you do crazy stuff if you want, but you could also do Windows installs instead of upgrades.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, you're more than likely going to have to shrink the OS partition to create the small amount of space necessary to grow the recovery partition.

You can do all of this using the same Storage PS module that Frogbert listed. Diskpart is also an option via PSExec if you're an antique roadshow kind of guy (don't do this).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

Thus has been the case for at least two decades. The one I had on my graphite bubble-type imac was cool because they made it transparent so I could see the cables inside, at least I was able to see when the cables inside started arcing electricity between each other.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Yes, you're more than likely going to have to shrink the OS partition to create the small amount of space necessary to grow the recovery partition.

You can do all of this using the same Storage PS module that Frogbert listed. Diskpart is also an option via PSExec if you're an antique roadshow kind of guy (don't do this).

The thing is, if I shrink the C drive partition I don't get the option to extend the system reserved in Disk Management. I can shrink that as well or extend the C back to normal, but can't take anything from C to give to reserved. Makes no sense but all the googling says you have to boot into a thumb drive partition app, and that's not an option for all these production workstations.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 17, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crowley posted:

Much love for Dell docks, but are you talking about the regular Lenovo USB-docks, or the newer OneLink docks?

Both. :smith:

An additional problem is that once you plug everything into them the drat things want to fall over or get dragged right off the desk.

On a related topic: gently caress all workplace desks, everywhere. They have ones here that although they have a nice hatch to get access to the wall have the most deranged construction in the far corner where the grommet is that human hands cannot access anything. You have to fish all the cables due to the idiotic way they're designed.

Not to mention people that jam the goddamn desk right up against the wall, squashing all the plugs and making sure no one will get down there short of dismantling the thing. Most desks have plates underneath where all the pieces connect making them right bastards to break down and move, and of course the screws are usually stripped because of the idiots that installed them.

It's 2015. Start making allowances for cable access standard you rat bastards.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dick Trauma posted:

Both. :smith:

An additional problem is that once you plug everything into them the drat things want to fall over or get dragged right off the desk.

On a related topic: gently caress all workplace desks, everywhere. They have ones here that although they have a nice hatch to get access to the wall have the most deranged construction in the far corner where the grommet is that human hands cannot access anything. You have to fish all the cables due to the idiotic way they're designed.

Not to mention people that jam the goddamn desk right up against the wall, squashing all the plugs and making sure no one will get down there short of dismantling the thing. Most desks have plates underneath where all the pieces connect making them right bastards to break down and move, and of course the screws are usually stripped because of the idiots that installed them.

It's 2015. Start making allowances for cable access standard you rat bastards.

This can be solved with a drill and some wire covers. Just buy whatever desk and have maintenance make the holes for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did a year at Xerox and the desks had little catches to release the table top and slide it forward around half a foot to reveal a cable dump area. The back edge was lined with a rubber strip so cables could fall into this tray wherever you wanted them to. They were sweet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Those sound great. The new desks that are being put in here are bolted to the drywall, with no back panel. Pieces of poo poo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I've seen more frayed and damaged Magsafe cables than any other brand of adapter combined. Just not sure what it is.

Ive also seen more hosed up batteries from macbooks than any other brand combined, but mostly the old white macbooks (the removable ones you need a coin to twist the lock to pop the battery out).

The rest of Apple's hardware is loving solid (~2010 MBPs are pretty nice to work on on the hardware end) but they just gently caress up on adapters and batteries.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A call came in...

...from my mother, because my Dad's PC is having network issues. :smithicide:

EDIT: Crisis resolved. :toot:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 17, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I live about a 10 minute drive from work (30 in winter), and it's still too long of a commute. I personally like to minimize travel time because I want to be at "work" as short of time as possible.

My personal dream job would be working 5 days a week, but only about 5 hours a day. :shepface:

Wake up at 6:25. Shower. In the car by 7, at the train station roughly 7:08ish at the latest.

7:12 train from Union to Newark. Walk down the stairs, under two tracks, up the stairs, transfer to PATH, usually get a seat.

7:34 PATH to Journal Square. Transfer across the platform. Usually get a seat.

7:47ish PATH from Journal Square to Christopher Street, in the office by 8:05-8:10ish.

30 minute commutes ;_____;

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
An interview came in :stare: :stare: :stare:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

At the station? For you? Details man!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

And your resume is being stored on a Buffalo device.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

larchesdanrew posted:

I guess Buffalo is hiring, eh?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

More details!!!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Not many details, yet. A hiring firm has a position listed for an "Infrastructure Administrator" at a hospital in a neighboring city. Sounds like it's just babysitting servers and networks, but it's paying twice what I'm making here and it'd be my own department.

The hiring process has involved answering about 50 interview questions as a "candidate profile" which took me four loving days and ended up being over ten pages of PC bullshit about myself that I submitted this morning.

Just got an email back asking me to come in for a formal interview, paperwork, and a drug test.

Our receptionist theorized that it's a hospital that recently received a gigantic grant and is building a completely new facility and hiring new staff. I may be planning and setting up an entire infrastructure if I get this job.

Guys :ohdear:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good luck man.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Not many details, yet. A hiring firm has a position listed for an "Infrastructure Administrator" at a hospital in a neighboring city. Sounds like it's just babysitting servers and networks, but it's paying twice what I'm making here and it'd be my own department.

The hiring process has involved answering about 50 interview questions as a "candidate profile" which took me four loving days and ended up being over ten pages of PC bullshit about myself that I submitted this morning.

Just got an email back asking me to come in for a formal interview, paperwork, and a drug test.

Our receptionist theorized that it's a hospital that recently received a gigantic grant and is building a completely new facility and hiring new staff. I may be planning and setting up an entire infrastructure if I get this job.

DON'T gently caress THIS UP! :okpos:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

OWLS! posted:

Good luck man.

Haha, who needs regular luck when I've got my lucky bowtie with 3.5 floppy disks on it?

That's a good thing to wear to an interview, right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Kickass, I hope that ends up being true.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

I may be planning and setting up an entire infrastructure if I get this job.

In the interest of your own sanity, take it if it's offered and don't read any of Dick Trauma's posts from the last year or so.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I guess Buffalo is hiring, eh?
"As the world's foremost expert on Buffalo devices...."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

DON'T gently caress THIS UP! :okpos:

He's hosed. There is no way he survived that job without drugs. :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

larchesdanrew posted:

Cue impostor syndrome in 3...2...1

• Locked thread