Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Unimpressed posted:

(and if so where do I get that, I've never seen it in a game)?
Butcher a gold dragon & enchant the hide; they start showing up in Depths and Vaults. That said, CPA is fine unless you desperately need one of the resists from GDA.

Unimpressed posted:

I'm sure i'll get an executioner antimagic at some point or other, would that be a better brand than venon or elec?
You'll probably want two weapons: An antimagic axe to use against casters(including Orbs of Fire!), and a different brand for everything else. Venom's gotten better since the monster rpois change, but it'll still be more useful late-game if you can rebrand it to freezing/flaming/chopping. Electrocution's not terrible, but it's better on fast weapons since it only triggers on 33% of hits.

You could honestly win with either exec axe and the antimagic battle axe if you have no luck with Trog gifts or branding scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
:toot:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Ferrinus/morgue-Ferrinus-20151115-140236.txt

I'm still pissed Singularity is gone! Just make it Transloc/Hexes, forbid it from affecting anything you can't see, and maybe make entering the singularity cause a random blink rather than just obstructing all movement, people!

Also, the orb of zot's letting in your } menu should be hot pink, not purple.

Now I'm playing felid summoners and am really, really feeling the near-50% reduction on all XP earned, whose loving idea was this

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just posting to say how much I'm enjoying the my return to Crawl. Got it on an Ultrabook and it's the perfect game to pick up for minutes or hours, in between whatever and then Ctrl-S and out instantly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Man, I'm so glad I joined the tournament, it totally inspired me and I just got my first ever win! Over the moon right now, so many attempts.

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/morgue-unimpressed-20151116-094412.txt

code:
1678742 unimpressed the Axe Maniac (level 27, 300/300 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on Nov 15, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Nov 16, 2015!

The game lasted 06:29:13 (77292 turns).

unimpressed the Axe Maniac (Minotaur Berserker)    Turns: 77292, Time: 06:29:13

Health: 300/300    AC: 57    Str: 30    XL:     27
Magic:  32/32      EV: 27    Int:  6    God:    Trog [******]
Gold:   3939       SH:  0    Dex: 16    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     T - +9 executioner's axe (vamp)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     X - +10 crystal plate armour
rNeg   + + .     SustAt   .     (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  .         Gourm    .     v - +2 hat of the Bear Spirit {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
rElec  +         Spirit   +     b - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr  .         Warding  +     c - +1 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     W - +2 pair of boots of the Fisher {MR+}
MR     +++++                    A - macabre finger necklace {Ward rN+}
Stlth  ..........               V - +5 ring of slaying
                                E - +3 ring of protection
                                r - ring "Iniukuv" {rF+ rC+}

@: almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, beak, horns 2, blurry vision 1, deterioration 1, robust
1, subdued magic 1
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Berserk Rage
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

code:
14761819 Jestermcgee the Grand Master (level 27, 270/270 (273) HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Monk on Nov 14, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 16, 2015!

The game lasted 08:07:37 (107537 turns).

Jestermcgee the Grand Master (Minotaur Monk)      Turns: 107537, Time: 08:07:37

HP:   270/270 (273) AC: 48    Str: 39    XL:     27
MP:   46/46         EV: 36    Int: 24    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold: 16568         SH:  0    Dex: 36    Spells: 9 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     V - +12 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     j - +1 hat {MR+}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     A - +0 cloak "Esof" {rN+ Str+3}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     k - +1 pair of gloves of Cirisma {rC+ Int+4} (curse)
rMut   +         Stasis   .     P - +0 pair of boots "Keuggieh" {rF+ MP+9 Stlth+}
MR     +++..                    M - amulet of resist mutation
Stlth  ..........               N - +5 ring of slaying
                                b - ring of Hetuton {rF+ Slay+3}

@: studying Necromancy, very slow, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, dopey 1, shaggy fur 1
a: Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce Religion
}: 15/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
Well, I did it. I fifteen runed in the tournament. Sadly, I never got on a team, so it's just me all by myself with my win.

I was inspired by someone in the thread to try a MiMo of Chei. Originally I tried a Vinestalker, which was fun and cool until the innate guardian spirit would leave me unable to cast more slouch and I would die, so Minotaur is what I ended up going with. The only real difference between my win and the previous MiMo of Chei was that I went with crossbows for my long range option instead of spells.

I didn't hybridize until extremely late in the game, like rune 6 or something, but once I got portal projectile online it made my life waaay easier. It is absolutely necessary to be able to kill summoners and tormenters and smiters behind all of the bullshit.

Overall, this character was stupidly strong and I only ever had to disengage from one of the postgame bosses once. Everyone else I just shot with crossbows until they were close and then punched into oblivion.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Well, since I hosed up and died on a promising draconian caster, I figure I'll switch it up a bit. I've never played Fedhas or Elyvilon or Qaz or the death gods or the other holy gods. How is Nemelex anymore? I heard he was changed a fair bit since before Lava Orcs and such when I was really into SpEn of Nem.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well, since I hosed up and died on a promising draconian caster, I figure I'll switch it up a bit. I've never played Fedhas or Elyvilon or Qaz or the death gods or the other holy gods. How is Nemelex anymore? I heard he was changed a fair bit since before Lava Orcs and such when I was really into SpEn of Nem.

Fedhas is really cool. Do you like being able to put friendly Oklob plants at chokepoints? Do you like putting deep water where there isn't any and making unwanted deep water go away? Do you like filling the dungeon with annoying minions and temporary walls that only you can walk (and shoot) through? Fedhas is cool. Try Fedhas sometime, especially as a Hunter or similar ranged-heavy playstyle. Works really well. His "use fruit as a tactical resource" mechanics are a little unusual and take some getting used to, however.

Elyvilon is extremely good but sorta boring. Ready access to various types of healing is amazing, and pacification can be really useful, so it's definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for the conduct restrictions. If you get bored enough you can always swap to Zin to be a weird yelling preacher or TSO to murder poo poo and praise the sun, I guess.

Qazlal is a loving riot and I definitely recommend trying a few characters of Qaz. Word of warning, however: as a Qazlite, stealth is loving useless for you. Qazlal will basically follow you around the dungeon banging two Shields of the Gong together and screaming like Mr. Torgue from Borderlands until you either die or win. He'll also blow everything the gently caress up like Mr. Torgue, though, which is why he's such a riot. If you want every level to be a massive clusterfuck of violence, go Qazlal.

Yredelemnul is cool but sorta situational. He's pretty good for armoured polearm fighters, since he gives you necromantic powers that don't rely on spellcasting, and he can gift you strong undead minions. His invocations are pretty strong too. He won't carry the game for you, but if you've got a fairly robust character going and Yred's abilities complement your playstyle, he's a lot of fun.

Kikubaaqudgha is for casters that want Necromancy. He's god drat amazing for casters that want Necromancy. Corpse delivery service, Necromancy spellpower, Necromancy miscast protection, free Necromancy spellbooks, one-time-only choice of either Necronomicon or Pain brand at max piety. Absolutely fantastic if you plan to make extensive use of Necro magic on your character. I think he protects vs. death curses and some other nasty poo poo in Tomb, too.

Nemelex is quite good for an Evocations-focused character, but he's much more tightly focused than he used to be. You'll mostly be using decks for destructive effects and summoning; there's no more item stacking for Wonders or anything like that. He's still very strong if you use his abilities well though, he'll basically give you a Batman utility belt full of valuable panic buttons. If you decide to trust in the heart of the cards and blind-draw a lot, you'll probably die.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm playing a Nemelex felid right now and I'm finding him pretty fun. The massive stack of decks he gives you goes well with having gently caress all else to put in your inventory and unleashing Deal Four is highly dramatic. I did lose a life because I didn't notice that Nemelex's offered abilities all have non-negligible fail chances, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

Kikubaaqudgha is for casters that want Necromancy. He's god drat amazing for casters that want Necromancy. Corpse delivery service, Necromancy spellpower, Necromancy miscast protection, free Necromancy spellbooks, one-time-only choice of either Necronomicon or Pain brand at max piety. Absolutely fantastic if you plan to make extensive use of Necro magic on your character. I think he protects vs. death curses and some other nasty poo poo in Tomb, too.

This is correct; death curses get the same protection as Necromancy miscasts. Additionally, Kiku gives you explicit torment resistance; a max-piety follower of Kiku takes 20% of their health from Torment, not 50%. (This stacks with rN+++ but not very well.)

That said, seconding Qazlal because Qazlal is hilarious.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I've been seeing a surprising amount of Elyvilon, even on people going for big streaks. I imagine ever since piety gain was changed from sacrificing weapons and pacifying monsters to just exploring he's much more flexible to play.

Qazlal is fun, but it doesn't deviate too much from tab mashing with a berserker, so you might wanna look elsewhere if you're trying to avoid that.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

This is correct; death curses get the same protection as Necromancy miscasts. Additionally, Kiku gives you explicit torment resistance; a max-piety follower of Kiku takes 20% of their health from Torment, not 50%. (This stacks with rN+++ but not very well.)

That said, seconding Qazlal because Qazlal is hilarious.

My stompiest 15-rune ever was with a Demonspawn fighter of Qzalol I think back when the double damage bug was in or slaying bonuses were way more prevalent. Between an executioner's axe of speed, powered by death, and poo poo EXPLODING EVERYWHERE it was tons and tons of fun and about as rip and tear as things get in Crawl.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Does Dragon Fin Soup have any relation to this game?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yredelemnul is cool but sorta situational. He's pretty good for armoured polearm fighters, since he gives you necromantic powers that don't rely on spellcasting, and he can gift you strong undead minions. His invocations are pretty strong too. He won't carry the game for you, but if you've got a fairly robust character going and Yred's abilities complement your playstyle, he's a lot of fun.

I'm forced to disagree with this perspective. Yred will absolutely carry the game for you as long as you get even a middling amount of evocations. He's really good for melee dudes who want to wear heavy armor and/or have low Int so learning normal Necromancy wouldn't be worth it, but even not considering that, Drain Life is amazing, Enslave Soul is great used on the right unique, and Animate Dead is cheap, easy, and powerful.

Another point in his favor is that while his extended presence is pretty much nothing (demons don't leave corpses and late game enemies are negative resistant), his wrath is also pretty tame. You can either get carried through an easy 3 runes or use Yred to set yourself up for another Invocations-heavy god.

If you do end up with the ability to cast, hasting your granted summons (especially bone dragons or profane servitors) is really strong, as is using Sublimation of Blood to spam Drain Life eternally on wide open vaults like a lot of Vaults and the end of Elf.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I've always wanted to do a FoFi of Qaz, carrying a gigantic shield and loads of AC, but I feel like the lack of teleport would mean even fewer options when you inevitably get swarmed - true or no?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes and no. Bigger reliance on healing but you shouldn't be needing escape options if you abuse line of sight and play cautiously.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

rj54x posted:

I've always wanted to do a FoFi of Qaz, carrying a gigantic shield and loads of AC, but I feel like the lack of teleport would mean even fewer options when you inevitably get swarmed - true or no?

You gotta like stair dance every freaking level until the entire level is clear after which you mop up, but as others said, it IS fun tho

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Fedhas is really cool. Do you like being able to put friendly Oklob plants at chokepoints? Do you like putting deep water where there isn't any and making unwanted deep water go away? Do you like filling the dungeon with annoying minions and temporary walls that only you can walk (and shoot) through? Fedhas is cool. Try Fedhas sometime, especially as a Hunter or similar ranged-heavy playstyle. Works really well. His "use fruit as a tactical resource" mechanics are a little unusual and take some getting used to, however.

Elyvilon is extremely good but sorta boring. Ready access to various types of healing is amazing, and pacification can be really useful, so it's definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for the conduct restrictions. If you get bored enough you can always swap to Zin to be a weird yelling preacher or TSO to murder poo poo and praise the sun, I guess.

Qazlal is a loving riot and I definitely recommend trying a few characters of Qaz. Word of warning, however: as a Qazlite, stealth is loving useless for you. Qazlal will basically follow you around the dungeon banging two Shields of the Gong together and screaming like Mr. Torgue from Borderlands until you either die or win. He'll also blow everything the gently caress up like Mr. Torgue, though, which is why he's such a riot. If you want every level to be a massive clusterfuck of violence, go Qazlal.

Nemelex is quite good for an Evocations-focused character, but he's much more tightly focused than he used to be. You'll mostly be using decks for destructive effects and summoning; there's no more item stacking for Wonders or anything like that. He's still very strong if you use his abilities well though, he'll basically give you a Batman utility belt full of valuable panic buttons. If you decide to trust in the heart of the cards and blind-draw a lot, you'll probably die.

I think I'll just try to win with gods in alphabetical order. Or until I get tired of one. Thanks for the write up on those! :D

apple
May 18, 2003

So I finished Lair with another DEMo, stuck with a weird loadout again:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-24-gcfadda4 (webtiles) character file.

bananaken the Destroyer (Deep Elf Monk)            Turns: 27680, Time: 02:07:16

Health: 86/86      AC:  7    Str: 14    XL:     14   Next: 74%
Magic:  29/29      EV: 20    Int: 21    God:    Vehumet [*****.]
Gold:   821        SH:  0    Dex: 17    Spells: 12 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     x - +12 mace of Equilibrium {crush, +Inv rPois Str+6}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     N - +1 robe {rC+ rF+}
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     (helmet restricted)
rElec  .         Spirit   .     D - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .         Warding  +     I - +0 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (no boots)
MR     +....                    K - amulet of warding
Stlth  +++.......               S - +6 ring of slaying
                                X - ring of wizardry

@: delayed fireball, repel missiles, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments,
fairly stealthy
A: horns 1, clarity, low mp 1, robust 1, slow regeneration 1, wild magic 1
a: Renounce Religion, Release Delayed Fireball, Evoke Invisibility
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bananaken/bananaken.txt

The mace + ring of slaying combo is rather absurd, but I'm a squishy little deep elf so it's mostly just there to save MP. I have a good set of mutations overall but the -10%mp is annoying. The rest of my inventory is in the morgue. It feels like the run is stabilizing somewhat, but I'm not sure how this character should look like in order to take on Zot and stuff.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

More Fighting obviously so you can use that slaying/Mace combo more often. Dip into Elf early so you can grab a buckler for another layer of defense. You've got sort of a conflict with Ice/Fire magic; both are in respectable areas but if you want to cast their higher level spells without wizardry you're gonna have to choose which one to focus on. Or say gently caress that and work on Conjurations so you can put off on deciding even further along. Switch to your robe of Darkness, the regen is far more powerful here than having the dual elemental protection especially in the Lair runes where you aren't expected to run into spewers of fire/ice apart from uniques.

apple
May 18, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

More Fighting obviously so you can use that slaying/Mace combo more often. Dip into Elf early so you can grab a buckler for another layer of defense. You've got sort of a conflict with Ice/Fire magic; both are in respectable areas but if you want to cast their higher level spells without wizardry you're gonna have to choose which one to focus on. Or say gently caress that and work on Conjurations so you can put off on deciding even further along. Switch to your robe of Darkness, the regen is far more powerful here than having the dual elemental protection especially in the Lair runes where you aren't expected to run into spewers of fire/ice apart from uniques.

Ah, thanks to Vehumet everything I need is castable already, I just had it on temporarily to see how delayed fireball went down. Unless you're talking about level 8/9 spells, in which case yeah..

Maybe I should I train M&F some more? -3 aptitude sucks, but that mace near mindelay would do some serious damage.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Yo Singularity Solidarity Society, step up your game

code:
Goodbye, Mattybee.

11596322 Mattybee the Middleweight Champion (level 27, 264/267 (269) HPs)
             Began as a Ghoul Assassin on Nov 15, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 17, 2015!

The game lasted 06:53:08 (142547 turns).
I saw the Ghoul Assassin score being really low for what I knew the combo could do. I was not expecting to 15-rune, but hey, I'll take it.

EDIT: Between the time that I originally posted this and now I won another game :v:

code:
Goodbye, Mattybee.

1828110 Mattybee the Imperceptible (level 27, 172/172 HPs)
             Began as a Halfling Gladiator on Nov 17, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Dithmenos.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes!

The game lasted 03:58:47 (113587 turns).

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 17, 2015

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Awww yeah, just won a GrVM to nab both Slow & Steady III and Lorekeeper II. Pretty happy about finally getting a 4-streak, although I used some pretty easy races (Tr, Ce, VS, Gr). The TrCK and GrVM were the most fun since they had the newest playstyles to me. VM in particular was a blast once I found Ignite Poison.

Think I'm done playing for the tournament; I played too much 0.16 beforehand and am feeling burned out on Crawl. Best of luck to the rest of Better Late Than Nessos; I'll drop in and say hello on tileschat!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:burger:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Well I finally got on the board this tournament...

code:
2065468 static the Metallomancer (level 27, 251/262 HPs)
             Began as a Grey Draconian Wizard on Nov 15, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 17, 2015!

The game lasted 07:25:54 (86978 turns).

static the Metallomancer (Grey Draconian Wizard)   Turns: 86978, Time: 07:25:54

Health: 251/262    AC: 29    Str: 14    XL:     27
Magic:  45/45      EV: 23    Int: 20    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   3953       SH: 18    Dex: 10    Spells: 12 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     k - +9 demon blade (vamp) (curse)
rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   . . .     SustAt   .     J - +5 shield {rC+ rF+} (curse)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     z - +2 hat (curse)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     U - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--} (curse)
rCorr  .         Warding  .     G - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3} (curse)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     I - +2 pair of boots (curse)
MR     ++++.                    S - amulet "Utoug" {Faith MR+ Stlth+} (curse)
Stlth  +.........               q - ring "Beiquif" {*Confuse rPois rF+ rC+ Stlth+} (curse)
                                Y - ring of the Marlin {rElec MR+} (curse)

@: delayed fireball, glowing, repel missiles, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, very unstealthy
A: walk through water, unfitting armour, blurry vision 1, clumsy 2, dopey 2,
screaming 2, weak 1, unbreathing, cold-blooded, MP-powered wands, AC +18
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion, Release Delayed Fireball
}: 4/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver, abyssal
This was my first time playing Dr (the half dozen dudes I splatted immediately prior to this one trying to get to lair nonwithstanding), and I was pretty bummed that I didn't get to shoot people with a breath weapon. On the other hand, being able to cast Mephitic Cloud targeting myself is great and was surprisingly effective up to and including Zot.

Also, even though I had to get through 12 OoF without rMut, I'm pretty sure I had more close calls fighting stupid Death Cobs. Those things are seriously the worst.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 17, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Mattybee posted:

Yo Singularity Solidarity Society, step up your game
I done got up two 15 runers. That is the best yall can hope from me. Will not get another probably cause i am going to keep trying for Brute Force 3

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh poo poo, found Murray! Only two uniques left to go for our team after I smush him.

...am I supposed to be able to find cerebov's level before I've gotten the demonic rune?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 17, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yes - diving until you get the 4 special ones and then searching for the demonic rune is a valid pan strategy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Died like an idiot in hell again. At least I got murray, and my dude looked pretty killer.

apple
May 18, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Think I'm done playing for the tournament; I played too much 0.16 beforehand and am feeling burned out on Crawl. Best of luck to the rest of Better Late Than Nessos; I'll drop in and say hello on tileschat!

Good job! I think my DEMo will be one of my last ones too, I might do one more ascension after that depending on how I feel. Actually surviving as DEMo is fun but stressful :stare:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Is this thing worth the effort on a TrMo? It sure looks sweet, but 15 skill at -2 apt to remove all penalties is miserable, and my Int is only 6 right now so I'd need to invest some stat points so I don't go brainless every time something saps my Int...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Unless you found a shield with the resistance ego no that's pretty much the best you get.
Just make sure you don't die from a suprise trip to the abyss. :v:

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

With the Int-6 on a Troll it's not worth it. If it didn't have that, maybe. But you're going to be wasting stat points and spending a lot of XP to get that up and it might cause you to get killed anyway. (Int is the most commonly drained stat in my experience.)

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Lawman 0 posted:

Unless you found a shield with the resistance ego no that's pretty much the best you get.
Just make sure you don't die from a suprise trip to the abyss. :v:

I had that think on a troll and died after a trip to the abyss

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Zarick posted:

With the Int-6 on a Troll it's not worth it. If it didn't have that, maybe. But you're going to be wasting stat points and spending a lot of XP to get that up and it might cause you to get killed anyway. (Int is the most commonly drained stat in my experience.)

Only in that there is an actual mental attack that attempts to drain you of INT on a couple enemies (neqoxec, brain worm). Other sources like Mummy curses target your stats randomly.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I know the tournament is still ongoing, but you'll probably want to update to Trunk, now, since monster rod power doesn't depend on their shield any longer in Trunk.

Not sure if I can agree with the comment on this commit, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lmao

crawl is a very special game sometimes. I like reading https://twitter.com/crawlcode for similar reasons

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Started a Kobold Enchanter to start my god alphabet wins with Ash, and came across Fedhas on D:2. I looked up his abilities and he actually seems nearly perfect for this race/class. Easy piety from corpse sacrifice because food isn't really an issue, fruits are useless otherwise, mushrooms seem to not wake people up due to them freezing in place, I can confuse, Tukima's, and Corona through my pets, and +1 Invocations doesn't hurt. Plus being able to blow up ghouls/zombies at will is stupid good due to them being immune to hibernation. I'm having a blast being a crazy backstabbing hippie :dance:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

lmao

crawl is a very special game sometimes. I like reading https://twitter.com/crawlcode for similar reasons

Bring back giant purple babies.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Just polymorphed most of the Elf:3 ending vault with the degeneration card (got some emperor scorpions and hill giants.) Thanks Nem!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've been trying Spriggan Enchanter with Gozag over and over again, after losing my first one with a +9 spear and early potion of experience and ruing it. It's really easy to get started with the aptitudes and movement speed, but I always get overconfident and get beaten (but have gotten farther than with any other character type). It's an easy mode class, I think, but more interesting than Minotaur Berserker or the like.

Also I'm trying to get the enemy unique NPCs to get a label on the webtiles version. I should just have "tile_tag_pref = enemy" in my rcfile right? It's not working.

• Locked thread