Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bad Seafood posted:

The principal's reliance on machines could've easily been his undoing. While Ashido's limits are yet undefined, it's possible she could've used her acid to strike at the sensitive inner workings of the crane, neutering it. Likewise, while I'm not certain of the science behind it, electricity is often used in movies, comics, and video games to overpower, overload, and break down machinery.

This, Fry the crane, and he becomes helpless, both had abilities that would have been able to do so.

Heck Alien queen does acid, just acid her way through the rubble to the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm sure if there's anyone with more than a passing knowledge of Hagakure Kikigaki and an interest in My Hero Academia they can probably figure out Hagakure's quirk. I haven't read it and only know it's a collection of the wisdom of a samurai on how to be a samurai and the nature of Bushido.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gyges posted:

I'm sure if there's anyone with more than a passing knowledge of Hagakure Kikigaki and an interest in My Hero Academia they can probably figure out Hagakure's quirk. I haven't read it and only know it's a collection of the wisdom of a samurai on how to be a samurai and the nature of Bushido.

"If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandals, it is said that the
skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured. "

"Takeda Shingen's retainer, Amari Bizen no kami, was killed in action and his son, Tozo, at the age of eighteen took over his father's position as an armed horseman attached to a general. Once a certain man in his group received a deep wound, and since the blood would not clot, Tozo ordered him to drink the feces of a red-haired horse mixed with water. The wounded man said, "Life is dear to me. How can I drink horse feces?' Tozo heard this and said, "What an admirably brave warrior! What you say is reasonable. However, the basic meaning of loyalty requires us to preserve our lives and gain victory for our master on the battlefield. Well, then, I'll drink some for you.'' Then he drank some himself and banded over the cup to the man who took the medicine gratefully and recovered."

Help me crack the code.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's obvious, Hagakure's power is to be invisible when she's not using the bathroom.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Well, being rendered kinda dumb for super-strength is a sight less bothersome than powdering your bones.

Yeah, but the "destroying his body" thing is something Midoriya can overcome in the future, while the "becoming dumb when overused" aspect of Satou and Kaminari's quirks seems unavoidable.

Bad Seafood posted:

I probably should, and I'll admit I'm kinda in a bad mood today anyway due to real life shenanigans.

That said, of the core cast he and Anima have gone the longest receiving any sort of limelight or even incidental focus, only just now getting any real attention. Anima managed to impress and endear himself, Satou didn't - at least not to me. Kohei mentioned in his author's notes he was having difficulty placing the guy, and seeing him in action I think I understand why. Given Kohei has 18/19 characters (actually way more than that but we're just talking about Class A) who already "Work" and are well-received in his weekly publication that doubtless keeps him pretty busy, I can't say I feel Satou's gonna get much of a fair shake after this. I could be wrong, and if so I'd welcome it - I enjoy it when authors take a character I don't think I'll like and transform them into something more - I'm just sharing my immediate impressions.

From another angle, the point of my post was simply to say Kohei's already built himself a safety net for scrapping and replacing characters who don't "Work," assuming he can't or doesn't fix them. It's a common enough problem in shounen for the author to introduce more characters than they know what to do with, but typically that results in killing them off or keeping them around without letting them do anything. Kohei has a third option open to him is all I'm saying.

But yeah, I totally own up to jumping to conclusions. Sorry.

It's no good to take out your frustration on manga characters. :colbert:

As a comedy option, Satou could end up being some terrible racist against animal-type quirk people like Fumikage.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but the "destroying his body" thing is something Midoriya can overcome in the future, while the "becoming dumb when overused" aspect of Satou and Kaminari's quirks seems unavoidable.

While some Quirks no doubt have downsides all the time, most pro heroes and such don't seem to have them if I remember right, Eraserhead is the only one I can think of. So I get the impression most Quirk downsides can be overcome, or at least dealt with to the point they're not a huge problem.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Here's how I see it. We've got the "main characters," Midoriya, Bakugou, Uraraka, Todoroki, and Iida. They're obviously all super important and will have many more battles and bits of story focus as the series progresses.

Right below that is the token group of "secondary protagonists" who frequently have battles of their own or assist in the main characters' fights, as well as get a decent amount of character building themselves. This group, based on what we've seen, is Yaoyorozu, Kirishima, Mineta, Tsuyu, and Tokoyami.

The group below that is a bunch of fan favorites who just haven't gotten more than a moment or two apiece, and could easily get some time later on. This, to me, is Kaminari, Jirou, Aoyama, Ashido, and Hagakure,

Then we've got the unfortunate bottom rung of dudes, Ojiro, Kouda, Shouji, Sero, and Satou, whose powers were all the last to be formally revealed, except for Satou whose quirk was revealed early on but has had almost no screen time since. At any rate, I could maybe see Ojiro getting a bit of time later since he showed some personality in the Sports Festival, and having one of the lesser quirks while still apparently being fairly strong makes him seem kind of interesting, but the other 4 just seem to be there as backup characters in case Kohei thinks of something he can use them for while also just filling out the class.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I hope Ashido can move up a few tiers with the next patch.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I had to go back to figure out where Invisible Girl passed the test, didn't see it the first time.
Yeah, exactly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vengarr posted:

"If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandals, it is said that the
skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured. "

"Takeda Shingen's retainer, Amari Bizen no kami, was killed in action and his son, Tozo, at the age of eighteen took over his father's position as an armed horseman attached to a general. Once a certain man in his group received a deep wound, and since the blood would not clot, Tozo ordered him to drink the feces of a red-haired horse mixed with water. The wounded man said, "Life is dear to me. How can I drink horse feces?' Tozo heard this and said, "What an admirably brave warrior! What you say is reasonable. However, the basic meaning of loyalty requires us to preserve our lives and gain victory for our master on the battlefield. Well, then, I'll drink some for you.'' Then he drank some himself and banded over the cup to the man who took the medicine gratefully and recovered."

Help me crack the code.

The Hagakure was Ghost Dog's main meditation, and he's got Ghost in his name.

If I had to guess though, it would actually have something to do with a concept relating to death/ghosts/spirits or whatever. A big thing about being a samurai is interacting with death. I'm pretty sure there's also some interchange between reality and thought going on in the same general vicinity of Plato's ideas about the interaction between the ideal and the physical world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gyges posted:

The Hagakure was Ghost Dog's main meditation, and he's got Ghost in his name.

If I had to guess though, it would actually have something to do with a concept relating to death/ghosts/spirits or whatever. A big thing about being a samurai is interacting with death. I'm pretty sure there's also some interchange between reality and thought going on in the same general vicinity of Plato's ideas about the interaction between the ideal and the physical world.

The ability to die and come back, as an invisible ghost. Once. :yohoho:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...see, now I'm wondering whether or not that might mean she's using astral projection all the time. Astral projection with a surprisingly high amount of physical interaction, but this is fiction so they can fudge that as being possible.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hagakure's actually just an Isaac Asimov reference.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hagakure's power is fake invisibility. She's actually visible, she just looks invisible.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mineta sitting with the dorks and looking with seething, eye straining anger at the handsome guy getting candy from the bunny girl was the best part of that chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

...see, now I'm wondering whether or not that might mean she's using astral projection all the time. Astral projection with a surprisingly high amount of physical interaction, but this is fiction so they can fudge that as being possible.

Um, I'm pretty sure astral projection is also fiction.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The volume 6 omake has been translated.

https://imgur.com/a/FCHev

Lots of interesting stuff in here, definitely give it a read.

Some highlights:

There's also some explanations of pro hero quirks and naming sense.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I find it interesting Deku was originally intended to be Japanese Batman when a bunch of people thought that's where the story was initially headed.

Also laughing at Gran Torino's character basis literally being Yoda.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So Best Jeanist's weakness is if a villain is naked.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

RatHat posted:

So Best Jeanist's weakness is if a villain is naked.

Hagakure's time to shine

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

JUST DON'T EAT is the best advice, and as a college student I can relate. Uraraka is great.

I also enjoyed the first illustration of her and Deku, where it looks like they're working at a restaurant or convenience store. It's the kind of thing that makes me want a Horikoshi artbook, or just a bunch more manga by him just to look at the stuff he draws.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Ytlaya posted:

Um, I'm pretty sure astral projection is also fiction.

...That was my point? Ie, its fiction, thus they don't have to stick to the already nonsensical 'rules'.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

...That was my point? Ie, its fiction, thus they don't have to stick to the already nonsensical 'rules'.

Ah, sorry, I must have misinterpreted your post! Since you said "but this is fiction" it seemed to imply that there was some nonfiction version of astral projection as well.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

What I'm getting from here is that Horikoshi, Kubo and, uh.... poo poo I forgot. There was one other who was popular and was great at clothing.
Anyways they should team up and make the ultimate anime fashion line.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sugar's problem isn't that he's no good in a drawn out fight, his problem is that he allows fights to get drawn out in the first place. If he can really multiply his strength over and over he should be able to just brute force his way through just about anything. Who gives a poo poo if you are only all-might tier for five seconds before passing out.

Basically, Sugar didn't/doesn't take advantage of his strength and instead focuses too much on the downsides.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd actually be interested to know whether or not Satou's drawback is gradual or effective immediately.

I've been thinking of it as an immediate trade-off, but if it's a gradual thing then Kohei's actually got a lot of potential elbow room to write engaging fights for the guy since it's imperative for him to act quickly if he wants to come out on top.

Also since I'm a dirty American I looked up grams to teaspoons and 10g actually isn't as much as I thought: just two teaspoons.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NecroMonster posted:

Sugar's problem isn't that he's no good in a drawn out fight, his problem is that he allows fights to get drawn out in the first place. If he can really multiply his strength over and over he should be able to just brute force his way through just about anything. Who gives a poo poo if you are only all-might tier for five seconds before passing out.

Basically, Sugar didn't/doesn't take advantage of his strength and instead focuses too much on the downsides.

Seriously, at 10 grams of sugar= 5X strength, a single snickers bar would make him 13.5X - 77X (depending on how the multiplication factor itself multiplies) as strong.

gently caress, man. Do whatever Sugar Man says, he's got a whole bottle of Karo Syrup in his hand!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah, he should actually be totally awesome, it's just a question of him using the thing right, and be aware of rather than afraid of his limits.

It's also the sort of power that will pretty much necessitate having a buddy or backup around. And having help that can withstand your power output when you do go apeshit would be even better.

And while Cementoss's comment could definitely be taken as advice to try a more lateral thinking approach, you can, if my guess about Sugar's power is right, also read it completely the other way around.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Guys guys apply some literacy c'mon it wasn't even FA's fault being weird here.

quote:

For every 10 grams of sugar, his power is multiplied by five for another three minutes!
Each dose of sugar extends the duration of his 5x strength.

(Yes the phrasing is awkward but people are not reading an entire subordinate clause)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 18, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm sorry, what does the official translation and/or original japanese (roughly) say because I absolutely never take anything in an scanlation as a word for word correct translation.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
There's 'taking the translation with a grain of salt' and there's 'ignoring a significant part of the sentence'.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This is less my "taking the translation with a grain of salt" and more my typical "assume the translaters only have the barest of grasp of how the english language works".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
At that point then I question why you even bother reading, then, just grab the japanese version and make up your own dialog.

E: v--- Well yes, but this is on another level. It's not ambiguous at all. (Also I couldn't find raws but at the very least another translation had the 3 minute thing as well)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 18, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fallen Angels' translation has been known to be spotty and occasionally unclear, and fan translation efforts in general don't always adhere to the grammatical rules of the English language.

Unless anybody here speaks Japanese, VIZ's translation would probably be the most trustworthy for sorting this matter out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

At that point then I question why you even bother reading, then, just grab the japanese version and make up your own dialog.

E: v--- Well yes, but this is on another level. It's not ambiguous at all. (Also I couldn't find raws but at the very least another translation had the 3 minute thing as well)

You read the scanlation for a general idea of what is going on, but with the knowledge that specifics can be wrong as poo poo. The amount of sugar, power increase and actual specification of how it scales all could be wrong. More likely than not even.

Until we see something official, all we can be pretty sure about is that Sugar gets stronger when he eats sugar and there is some sort of mental downside. Being more specific than that is beyond what you can trust quick fan translations for.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've got the official translation: "for every 10 grams of sugar he consumes, he quintuples his power for three minutes! But converting that sugar into strength drops his cognitive functions!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
His kryptonite is type 2 diabetes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I got behind and man is it fun to read this manga in bursts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mercury Hat posted:

I've got the official translation: "for every 10 grams of sugar he consumes, he quintuples his power for three minutes! But converting that sugar into strength drops his cognitive functions!"

So it probably stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Gyges posted:

You read the scanlation for a general idea of what is going on, but with the knowledge that specifics can be wrong as poo poo. The amount of sugar, power increase and actual specification of how it scales all could be wrong. More likely than not even.

It's hard to translate 3分 wrong tho? :confused:
Like, units of measure are the most unambiguous poo poo ever and even japanese uses arabic numerals for the most part. It's like the easiest thing to not get wrong. This isn't Bleach with its fancy explanations.