Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Doctor Butts posted:

what is stopping congress from working

I am not sure, but I think it's mostly the people in it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Just tax everyone at 99% except the rich and complete the dark enlightenment.

*mashes on peddle furiously trying to accelerate instead is a boot mashing on humanity forever*

OK, I'm pulling this thread out of its tailspin with some choice new Trollbama quotes.

quote:

Which Game of Thrones character is Donald Trump?
Uh…I don’t think…I don’t think any of them rise to that level.

If you were campaigning against Trump, would you even bother? Would it be like LaBradford Smith talking trash to Jordan or something?
I would’ve enjoyed campaigning against Trump. That would’ve been fun.

What’s the most entertaining conspiracy theory you ever read about yourself?
That military exercises we were doing in Texas were designed to begin martial law so that I could usurp the Constitution and stay in power longer. Anybody who thinks I could get away with telling Michelle I’m going to be president any longer than eight years does not know my wife.

There are also apparently more executive actions to come on gun control.

The interview's still a little depressing, since it's a retrospective on the Obama presidency and the difficulties it's had getting things done and moving quickly, but Obama always gives interesting interview.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
McConnell has pledged that an ACA repeal reconciliation bill with planned parenthood defunding will be on the senate floor after thanksgiving.

Reminder that the parliamentarian has said reconciliation is a no go

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Benghazi committee has figured out who was to blame for their hearing with Hillary lasting 11 hours. You get one guess.

Rep. Lynn Westmoreland posted:

“Now to me, that was us stepping in a trap because we should have known that she was going to go on and just stall, debate, filibuster, on these answers to make it go as long as possible, so we would look cruel. You know, a lot of people have said, ‘she did great, you know, no harm, she did really good, she handled the committee.’ I don’t know where in the world you can be proven a liar on national TV and think you had a good week, but they think that is having a good week, that she was caught in a lie.”

He also says that the committee will be taking a "research" trip to Germany and Italy next week. It's hard work, but they're willing to go to the ends of the five star hotel list to find the truth, dammit!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Minnesota's Gov:
Minnesotans who can't accept immigrants 'should find another state'

quote:

If you are that intolerant, if you are that much of a racist or a bigot, then find another state. Find a state where the minority population is 1 percent or whatever. It's not that in Minnesota. It's not going to be again. It's not going to be that in St. Cloud, or Rochester or Worthington

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Continuing the fine American tradition of forcing off their lands anyone who doesn't like the new comers, God bless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Greg Abbott just released a statement saying that he won't permit Minnesotans to enter Texas.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

zoux posted:

Greg Abbott just released a statement saying that he won't permit Minnesotans to enter Texas.

What the gently caress? Is this high school?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

zoux posted:

Good. gently caress Texas.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Fine by all the Minnesotan's I know, as long as we can ban all Texas drivers from entering Minnesota! :v:

Raerlynn posted:

It's a joke!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

Reminds me of the scene from Hunt for the Red October, where the officer is so excited about being able to move to Montana after the defect, because it is America, where there are no internal passport controls!

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Hopefully, this acceptance includes Texans too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the DNC's 2014 post-mortem report.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Raerlynn posted:

Pretty sure he's joking. Emphasis on the pretty.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

That is actually pretty funny.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

This is likely in response to the governor of Minnesota saying he'd ban anyone involved with the Herschel Walker trade from the state if he could. Whether it's a joke in response or a failure at understanding context on Abbot's part, I don't know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a joke, from me.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

JT Jag posted:

This is likely in response to the governor of Minnesota saying he'd ban anyone involved with the Herschel Walker trade from the state if he could. Whether it's a joke in response or a failure at understanding context on Abbot's part, I don't know.

The Herschel Walker trade quote was from State Rep Pat Garofalo.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I've figured out why I can't take Debbie Wasserman-Schultz too seriously, and it's because she looks, sounds, and has the name of one of those moms who takes iron fist command of the PTA and does it all "for the kids" even though it's just an extension of her wanting to be a popular girl in high school.

I'm aware that this is completely my fault, but when I hear the name Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, that's immediately what I think of.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Erick, son of Erick, is sad that he won't see the new Star Wars movie in theaters because Obama can't keep them safe. :qq:

quote:

I’m really glad I didn’t get tickets on opening day to see Star Wars. Seriously.

I have no confidence in this Administration to keep us all safe, particularly in light of President Obama’s statement today that there’s really no way to stop this stuff.

There are no metal detectors at American theaters.

I think I’ll wait till Star Wars is less a threat scenario.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Erick, son of Erick, is sad that he won't see the new Star Wars movie in theaters because Obama can't keep them safe. :qq:

"Hmmm, Star Wars looks like it's trending. I know what I'll do..."

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Pretty sure he's joking. Emphasis on the pretty.

What does it say about Texas that that's actually plausible at this point? >.>

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

She hasn't flipped, she says she has "another solution" funded by general revenue instead of a (0.2%) payroll tax but hasn't given any details.

Right, she's just using a different approach for funding, not flipping on the policy itself.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

The Benghazi committee has figured out who was to blame for their hearing with Hillary lasting 11 hours. You get one guess.

He also says that the committee will be taking a "research" trip to Germany and Italy next week. It's hard work, but they're willing to go to the ends of the five star hotel list to find the truth, dammit!

thats a good onion article

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “There’s millions of Americans out there, qualified, ready, willing and able…I really don’t think it’s me being asked, but as I say, if I were asked, I’d do it.” ~ Sarah Palin, on whether she would consider running for VP again.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Mirthless posted:

Okie reporting in. Oh, also, I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was 22. :buddy:

The mayor of Tulsa, Dewey Bartlett Jr, the sneering fuckhead he is, got on Facebook to grandstand about writing a letter to obummer to keep them Syrians out of the country:

Mind you, Tulsa actually has a reasonably significant Syrian population and their businesses are pillars of the loving local community. Way to call their admission into the country a mistake, you loving piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat.

The MS Penii make this.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ayn rand hand job posted:

thats a good onion article

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/666698118369574912 posted:

Oliver Willis ‏@owillis 50m50 minutes ago
benghazi committee also set to follow up leads in south of france, hawaii beaches, etc

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “There’s millions of Americans out there, qualified, ready, willing and able…I really don’t think it’s me being asked, but as I say, if I were asked, I’d do it.” ~ Sarah Palin, on whether she would consider running for VP again.
Dreams of a Carson-Palin ticket dance through my head.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
http://www.gq.com/story/president-obama-bill-simmons-interview-gq-men-of-the-year

quote:

Bill Simmons: Not as a public figure. What’s your guiltiest-pleasure TV show? Don’t say Game of Thrones, because that’s a good show.
Barack Obama: Probably the guiltiest pleasure—and this is kind of lame—is Big Break. You know, on the Golf Channel? Which is kind of a silly show. [laughs] But I find it really relaxing.

So you watch it on the treadmill or something?
Yeah, when I’m working out sometimes late at night. I never see all the episodes, but if they’ve got some chipping contest or something… [laughs] It’s pretty lame. I do love Game of Thrones.

Which character do you identify with?
My favorite character is probably…the dwarf, what’s his name?

Oh, yeah. Peter Dinklage’s character.
The problem with Game of Thrones, though, is that I don’t remember the names of any of the characters.

I don’t, either.
I remember the characters, so when I watch it, I know exactly what’s going on. But if you read a review of the show afterwards and they’re mentioning such and such, the only one I remember is Jon Snow, because I can pronounce Jon Snow.

Which Game of Thrones character is Donald Trump?
Uh…I don’t think…I don’t think any of them rise to that level.

If you were campaigning against Trump, would you even bother? Would it be like LaBradford Smith talking trash to Jordan or something?

I would’ve enjoyed campaigning against Trump. That would’ve been fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Wrong. This is the Quote of the day:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/us/politics/ben-carson-is-struggling-to-grasp-foreign-policy-advisers-say.html

quote:

“Nobody has been able to sit down with him and have him get one iota of intelligent information about the Middle East,” Duane R. Clarridge, a top adviser to Mr. Carson on terrorism and national security, said in an interview. He also said Mr. Carson needed weekly conference calls briefing him on foreign policy so “we can make him smart.”

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

If Hillary loses I wonder who the scapegoat will be.

Bernie Bros

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Joementum posted:

*Obama single-handedly bypasses Congress and forces in place a law that puts metal detectors at all US movie theaters*

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Indiana GOP finally came out with a new "religious liberty protection" law. Reading through it now, so far the biggest thing I've noticed without needing to ask a lawyer for clarification is that holy poo poo this thing is terrible to transgender people. Like even by the standards of other laws being mean, holy gently caress. If you are trans and are discriminated against, you need to live as a different gender for a year or get a medical opinion before you can file a complaint. Obviously, time limitation is going to pop for many before they can be filed. And if you file and the limitation pops before the year, you get hit with a $1000 penalty for "frivolous" discrimination complaints. That is in top of how difficult it is to win complaints in this state period.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

quote:

He also said Mr. Carson needed weekly conference calls briefing him on foreign policy so “we can make him smart.”

To be a fly on that wall

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

General takeaway from breezing through the 20 pages

1) I need a lawyer to break down where the problems are; just like how the biggest land mine in the last was how they defined "person" and "corporation" and radically extended the ability to discriminate through technical means. I HIGHLY suspect that any other things here I post are underselling it on how bad it is because of the GOPs track record on this poo poo, I'm probably gonna read something as ok but there will be some catch nullifying it. This is further added because they are screaming "don't pick it apart" and "don't cherry pick it" so there has to be something terrible in it.

2) sexual orientation and gender is added to state civil rights laws.

3) this voids local rights laws

4) includes public accommodation but has exceptions for marriage services

5) some provisions that "provide protections" for churches and religious affiliated institutions like public universities. Initial thought is Notre Dame, but I expect there is some crap here I'm not understanding

6) marriage exceptions apply to businesses with "fewer than 4 employees". Initial thought is you can handle that real easy with some paperwork to squeeze under the qualifier.

7) this is from the senate, house and pence still have said nothing

8) schools, businesses and others get to determine their own policies regarding bathrooms without other rules and regulations applying

9) said rules or policies for sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity can't be considered discriminatory under the bill

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 17, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Jihadist terror in the Middle East will never end as long as they have consistent sources of income. Sunni terrorists are the most prevalent and dangerous, and they are bankrolled by the Persian Gulf petrostates. Any intervention will be futile until this arrangement ends.

IMO Israel Palestine is the actual cause of the Arab states being hosed. And Israel Palestine will never be solved because the US will never end its unilateral support for Israeli apartheid and ethnic cleansing.

The gulf states are an important source of funding for Wahhabists, but they're not the actual political impetus for Wahhabism being a thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a meaningful (read:practical) distinction between Wahabism and Salafism?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

That shitbag probably had a lot less to say about Holmes, I assume?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Joementum posted:

Reaction to weekly mass shootings by white people: Whatcha gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction to some Syrians being somewhere in the country, probably: NOTHING IS SAFE ANYMORE :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Is there a meaningful (read:practical) distinction between Wahabism and Salafism?

not that I'm aware of. i think Wahhabism is a stricter concept referring to the teachings of a guy named al-Wahhab, and Salafism is fundamentalist political Islam in general

• Locked thread