Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

Mage Knight isn't that complicated if you remember that ice block blocks fire, fire block blocks ice, that it takes two movement to enter a city, that black mana can't be used during the day unless you're underground, that you can't block partially unless you're in pvp, and that units can take up to their hit points in damage unless they're resistant, in which case they can take double.

Actually, once you figure that stuff out is when it becomes complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If your mage knight mind is empty, it is always ready for anything, it is open to everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

OmegaGoo posted:

:frogout:

Both of those are quite bad. Play BSG (which I think you've said you soured on?) or Dark Moon.

Dark Moon is pretty crap as well, as this forum game will attest. It's BSG, The Resistance, or bust.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Actually the best traitor game is archipelago.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Explain to them at the start why this will be a bad idea and give them some pointers for each god?

Been there, done that....

'But I have these cool units and come on, i want to fight!!!!'

They all learn from it and it gets better after that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jng2058 posted:

Shadows Over Camelot is the classic Traitor Game, but perhaps Dead of Winter as a more recent example is more what you're looking for?

I'm not sure I can think of any way to describe Shadows over Camelot as 'classic'

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gutter Owl posted:

Dark Moon is pretty crap as well, as this forum game will attest. It's BSG, The Resistance, or bust.

Or Legendary Encounters :getin:

(most of the time, anyway [edit] as in it has a traitor only most of the time - there's a 1/n, n being the number of players + 1, that there isn't a traitor)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

every time someone new tries M26 in Cuba Libre they always just build a bunch of guerrillas and launch a frontal assault on the government

like seriously people, terrorize and kindnap the population like a good little revolutionary

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Hell, if those are the three choices then Legendary Encounters all the way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

every time someone new tries M26 in Cuba Libre they always just build a bunch of guerrillas and launch a frontal assault on the government

like seriously people, terrorize and kindnap the population like a good little revolutionary
It's actually quite interesting that people try to approach the main insurrection factions (FARC, M26, Taliban, NLF) in COIN as standard militaries and they fail drastically. Once you begin to understand the importance of the LoC/ECs and take opportunities to infiltrate, it is then that you truly become powerful in those roles.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I just preordered cuba libre and Liberty Or Death. Am I Good?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You're probably half good, but who knows, maybe Liberty will come out decent.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm not sure I can think of any way to describe Shadows over Camelot as 'classic'

I think it was the first game (or at least the first one that hasn't passed into obscurity) to have a traitor mechanic. It obviously didn't use it in a good way, but at the very least, it's classic for that reason.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I doubt that i will actually get L&D, it just doesn't sound interesting. Falling Sky looks pretty neat and I want a smaller COIN like CL anyway.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I've been on an american independence kick since Hamilton: The Musical came out but I could always switch out my P500 of Liberty Or Death for the sweet looking roman GMT game or FiTL so that I can quote facts from the My Lai massacre to demoralize opponents (and lose friends.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm waiting for impressions on LoD. Could be good, could be ehh, probably got too much other stuff to buy it. And Roman Gaul COIN is really cool so that's higher priority.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Edit: Thanks, didn't realize there was one! Sorry.

Malt fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 17, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looks like the pandemic legacy quarantine thread has had a containment leak.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tekopo posted:

I doubt that i will actually get L&D, it just doesn't sound interesting. Falling Sky looks pretty neat and I want a smaller COIN like CL anyway.

Since you're more or less that guy in the thread, how would you order the COIN games in order of quality, however you want to define that (a few words thrown in would help too). If you have more extensive words in the wargame thread or elsewhere, I'd be interested in reading them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So is it just me or is the new Fury of Dracula actually really pretty drat good (except for the lovely, lovely rulebooks)?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thespaceinvader posted:

So is it just me or is the new Fury of Dracula actually really pretty drat good (except for the lovely, lovely rulebooks)?

Fixing the combat was easy. I'm curious to see if they fixed the late game problem of Dracula basically knowing with 90% certainty that he'd lost but compelled to keep fighting a rear-guard retreat for another hour. Ugh. Super boring for everyone.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Since you're more or less that guy in the thread, how would you order the COIN games in order of quality, however you want to define that (a few words thrown in would help too). If you have more extensive words in the wargame thread or elsewhere, I'd be interested in reading them.
Purely in terms of quality, the list is as follows (from highest to lowest)

Fire in the Lake, A Distant Plain, Cubra Libre, Andean Abyss.

Which makes sense, since they are in release order. Cuba Libre is more refined and smooth than Andean Abyss, with A Distant Plain being even better in terms of mechanism and Fire in the Lake taking the lessons of ADP And improving on them further. In terms of pure enjoyment, however, this is my actual list:

A Distant Plain, Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, Andean Abyss

I just love ADP to bits. It has a few issues but it has by far my favourite faction in any COIN (the government). The government both suits my playstyle and is in itself a diplomatically, strategically and tactically enjoyable faction to play, far above any other faction. Most other factions in other COINs feel distinctively single-sided and not as nuanced as the government in ADP. I like CL because it also has an interesting faction dynamic, and prefer it over FitL due to the short play time and lack of AP: FitL is good and really polished, but too big for its own good. Andean Abyss is really the pioneer of the series but lacks some of the quality of life improvements present in the other series.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

I really don't see how a forum game of any traitor game can be a good representation. The critical parts of play come from seeing and hearing the person suspected of betrayal, as well as the reaction of others.

That said, I've found the dice in Dark Moon to do a good job of stimulating paranoia. Some of the task cards, especially the one that looks at another players card, can be too powerful in a four player game, but It's still a great traitor game that plays in a third of BSG's bloated playtime.

And One Night Ultimate Werewolf/Vampire is my personal favorite traitor game. It plays quickly, and there's a surprising amount of depth to the bluffing if everyone lies. Vampire is a personal favorite now, if even just for the Assasin/Apprentice Assassin stand offs.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I don't really consider ONUWW a traitor game because the defining feature of a traitor game for me is long-term deduction (over multiple exercises). I find ONUWW more of an exercise in reading the group and efficient bluffing and less trying to disguise your actions and blend in as the traitor.

On the other hand, I can't stand most traitor games and I quite like ONUWW so the distinction may be entirely artificial.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like both traitor games and ONUW, but I would definitely agree that the latter is a different genre. It's strictly a party bluffing game on the level of Coup, not a heavy, long con type betrayer system like BSG/DoW.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What are some good, light- to medium-weight 2 player games? I'm looking for something my friend and I can play when no one else is around to do something with more players.

Ideally something that's supposed to be 2 players, not something 2+ players that plays well with 2 anyway...but I guess if it's a really good game...

I know Twilight Struggle is considered one of the best, but that's a little too heavy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Morpheus posted:

What are some good, light- to medium-weight 2 player games? I'm looking for something my friend and I can play when no one else is around to do something with more players.

Morels, Sellswords, Summoner Wars, Theseus, and Tash Kalar are my typical go to 2p games that aren't LCGs, in order of increasing heaviness. LCGs if you want to get into an LCG.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Ideally something that's supposed to be 2 players, not something 2+ players that plays well with 2 anyway...but I guess if it's a really good game...

I know Twilight Struggle is considered one of the best, but that's a little too heavy.

Obvious answer is Tash Kalar. Plays fairly quick, basic straightforward rules with a lot of depth and nuance in actual play that shows the more you really get into it, and it's easy to set up/is physically compact.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Morpheus posted:

The Duke - Chess/Hive mix that is super tactical.

Patchwork - Fun little spatial tile laying puzzler with resource management.

Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small - Agricola Lite. Great light worker placement where you just build a farm and raise animals without having to feed your family. The expansions add a ton of variable strategies.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Pathwork, Akrotiri, Battle Line, Hive, Targi and Fields of Arle for something heavier.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Andarel posted:

I don't really consider ONUWW a traitor game because the defining feature of a traitor game for me is long-term deduction (over multiple exercises). I find ONUWW more of an exercise in reading the group and efficient bluffing and less trying to disguise your actions and blend in as the traitor.

On the other hand, I can't stand most traitor games and I quite like ONUWW so the distinction may be entirely artificial.

I see the distinction, but I don't particularly find it helpful. To me, a traitor game is one with a general team that everyone is pretending to be working on, with some shared goal, regardless of its weight or duration. In most ONUW games, everyone is saying they're a human, with the shared nominal goal being the villagers winning. I'd split off bluffing games like Coup on that distinction. But this a pretty quibbling thing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Tash Kalar is pure good, and if you know two other people who want to play it becomes pure good that is also kind of like a game of bridge, which more people should play.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

EBag posted:

Pathwork, Akrotiri, Battle Line, Hive, Targi and Fields of Arle for something heavier.

How does Fields of Arle compare to other Euros? I have heard good things and most of my playtime is one on one with my GF and our mutual loves include agricola, vinhos, kanban and caylus. Is it a good pick up for us? Or is it too similar to those games? What sets it apart?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Morpheus posted:

*puts my hand on your shoulder* Have you heard the good word of our savior, David Sirlin?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Countblanc posted:

*puts my hand on your shoulder* Have you heard the good word of our savior, David Sirlin?

Talkin' bout Yomi, aintcha. And Puzzle Strike?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Impermanent posted:

How does Fields of Arle compare to other Euros? I have heard good things and most of my playtime is one on one with my GF and our mutual loves include agricola, vinhos, kanban and caylus. Is it a good pick up for us? Or is it too similar to those games? What sets it apart?

It's a fairly standard WP game, definitely lighter than Vinhos or Kanban, a bit heavier than 'gric. Like those games there's a plethora of things you can do and need to do in order to not lose points, but it's not quite as tight in a "if I don't do this I'm hosed" way, more of a "there's 5 awesome things I want to do but I can only choose 1, which is the best for me?" sort of way.

I like it because I really enjoy actually building up something on my player board, like in Agricola, but there's even more stuff to get in this one with the various buildings and different fields/forests/dikes/animals. It feels quite thematic in that regard and is just satisfying to play, not overly stressful but there's certainly a lot to think about. A big difference between Agricola and Arle is that there's just so many different choices to explore that even though the setup remains fairly static between games, there's a lot of different paths you can go down that make each play feel fairly different. In Agricola you sort of need to do a little bit of everything but in Arle you can specialize and pretty much try whatever you want. They're all seemingly well balanced as well, our scores have been pretty close each time despite doing very different things.

I was also worried it would be too similar to Agricola and held off on picking it up for awhile but aside from being a farming themed WP game, it isn't that similar to Agricola. Definitely feels like an Uwe game but with some unique twists, the vehicles and transportation/upgrading add some interesting decisions as well as the tools you can upgrade for bonus actions. Also everything gives you points in this game, it's a bit of a point salad but none of it feels very abstract, it's just a bunch of points for doing well at various things.

I picked up Le Havre recently as well and that's also a great 2p game, I think I Iike Arle a bit better but both are great. Will have to see with more plays of each which one comes out on top.

EBag fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 17, 2015

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Selecta84 posted:

Yeah, do that. Or every game with new people will end in a victory for Khorne cause for the love of god nobody new to this game seems to understand that you want to AVOID any fights with Khorne as much as possible.

I taught the game once to a mostly new group, emphasising that even if you win a fight against Khorne, it's probably still benefiting him. So everyone pseudo-cooperate to prevent him from fighting!

Tzeench's opening move: summon warriors to fight Khorne. "I want to see how it works." Repeat at least three more times.

After Khorne victory: "The factions seem really unbalanced."

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My favorite traitor game is asking this thread for advice on a game to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

JohnnySavs posted:

I taught the game once to a mostly new group, emphasising that even if you win a fight against Khorne, it's probably still benefiting him. So everyone pseudo-cooperate to prevent him from fighting!

Tzeench's opening move: summon warriors to fight Khorne. "I want to see how it works." Repeat at least three more times.

After Khorne victory: "The factions seem really unbalanced."

"Well, yes, that's intentional. Stop playing into Khorne's strength and play to YOUR faction's strengths."