Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I had to (was paid to) play KH and CoM in preparation for translating KH2, and I still don't understand the overarching plot. I also cheated and gave up on CoM partway through because it stopped making sense in the way an assignment you're feverishly trying to finish in an all-nighter suddenly loses all meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

were you the person who wrote 'that was undeniable proof that we totally owned you lamers'

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

were you the person who wrote 'that was undeniable proof that we totally owned you lamers'
Absolutely not, thank God. I don't know how I could have lived with myself if I were.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

This isn't as much of praise as I intended before thinking to say it because in retrospect Reaction Commands basically just activate JRPG cutscenes, but with Reaction Commands playing KH2 is like playing a JRPG cutscene. It's the same itch that Dissidia: Final Fantasy scratches.

Whoops, I meant to say Kingdom Hearts 2 but somehow I left the number out.

Bad Seafood posted:

The original Kingdom Hearts was good because it was just a silly crossover game with no pretensions. Run around Disney worlds, fight Disney villains, have a couple Final Fantasy characters show up for fun, and hey, here's an oddly epic final boss thing. It was like Super Smash Brothers for Disney except an action RPG instead of a fighting game. Combat was simple but decently engaging, and the game's charming personality did a lot to endear it to people.

Then we get the sequel which kicks off reasonably enough but the longer it goes on the more it feels like someone taking their fanfic a little too seriously. The game itself becomes kind of a slog as well, what with revisiting everywhere twice, and you have all these bad guys with maybe one or two scenes before they die who I don't really care about because I just wanna trash Disney villains not these weirdos I barely know.

Then those weirdos we barely knew got their own game, then we got some sequel prequel thing, and now I need a flow chart just to figure out who's who because it turns out the series big bad guy has been like eight different dudes and everyone has at least one doppelganger or previous incarnation - sometimes more.

Yeah, the weirder things about the series is that it got everyone excited for Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters interacting and then you don't see any of the latter outside of Traverse Town for all of 2 and I don't really know what to say about the other games besides Chain of Memories. There's way too little actually fighting alongside those goofballs in that game for my taste.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 15, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hirayuki posted:

Absolutely not, thank God. I don't know how I could have lived with myself if I were.

What parts did you translate, out of interest? :)

Haley Joel Osment posted:

"I will never forget walking in for the first session of Kingdom Hearts II and seeing that the producers had set up a bulletin board with a flow chart explaining the sequence of events in different universes and watching them almost struggle to sort it out. It wasn't that they weren't knowledgeable, they just were still unraveling the story for themselves and dealing with the huge amount of information Nomura-San puts out. That was when I personally realized how video games had reached the level of art."

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
Oh, quick update on that Tetra Master clone if you guys are interested: I open-sourced the project so you can look at the code yourself. I'd really be interested in playing against someone today.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

What parts did you translate, out of interest? :)
The non-spoken dialogue, chiefly, and Jiminy's Journal. And the Little Mermaid lyrics.

Haley Joel Osment posted:

"That was when I personally realized how video games had reached the level of art."
I don't think it has to be that convoluted and hard to understand to be art. :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hirayuki posted:

The non-spoken dialogue, chiefly, and Jiminy's Journal. And the Little Mermaid lyrics.

I don't think it has to be that convoluted and hard to understand to be art. :(

But if something is convoluted and impossible to understand and not art that would make it garbage. And he couldn't have worked on garbage, right? So it must it be art, it just makes sense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If there a few things I can say positive about the Kingdom Hearts series, the Command Deck makes for a fun thing to use in BBS, Re:Coded, and DDD. The various magic spells are also pretty visually appealing.

And while I get the dislike for how one-note a number of the characters were, I did rather like the Organization as enemies, if only because I'm a sucker for elemental bosses. Them being based on Final Fantasy job classes was pretty cool, too.

But I can agree that I disliked the tonal shift that came following Chain of Memories. Things just became overly complicated for no reason. ESPECIALLY in Dream Drop Distance where one guy is thirteen other guys, with three of those guys having time traveled from the past to possess another guy while the original form of that guy who should be in another guy is somehow free again. And then the Ultimania mentions that he ended up possessing another guy during the final boss fight that was himself, even though this is never mentioned in-game. :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 15, 2015

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Command Deck

I've only played Re:Coded out of all the side games, but yeah, the customization was pretty great. The game also had a Sphere Grid-esque system of leveling, where you put passives and stat boosts into slots to improve, had tiles that could multiply their stat boosts by two or three, and I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

I don't remember anything about the plot except that it took place in a virtual world and was largely inconsequential to everything else in the series. That's probably for the best. :frogbon:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
For all the bad things about KH (mostly past 1, since like I said, I like 1), it did do one thing right.

It made Squall somewhat likable.

I still took great pleasure in kicking his rear end every chance I got though

Since we should probably keep moderately on topic to ffix, they didn't put any ffix characters in KH did they?

At least I don't remember any.

Hirayuki posted:

And the Little Mermaid lyrics.

:catstare:

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 15, 2015

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

mauman posted:

Since we should probably keep moderately on topic to ffix, they didn't put any ffix characters in KH did they?

Vivi was in KHII. That's it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about Vivi.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, Kingdom Hearts II forgot about Vivi as well. He barely shows up in-game.

Poor kid can't even get a happy cameo appearance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zidane's in Dream Drop Distance.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

RareAcumen posted:

You're lying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

He also got his head put on a stick for Donald Duck to swing around, morbid as that is.

yes i know that's just a generic black mage look but :ssh:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Not sure how the people in KH could look at Vivi and not try to slay him because black mages are pretty much Heartless with a coat on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This will become a major plot point in Kingdom Hearts III where it's revealed that Vivi is just a Wizard Heartless in a clever disguise.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
this is good game

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The first Kingdom Hearts was good dumb fun and the GBA game was pretty alright.

From the second game on though it got way too wrapped up in itself for its own good.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The first KH was good, but the series went completely up its own rear end after that.

that's exactly why the Kingdom Hearts series is amazing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sorry, Fallout 4 got the better of me. I'll try to squeeze an update out sometime this week, but probably won't be until next weekend.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

RareAcumen posted:

I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of playing KH3D and...he DOES show up...in a minigame...which we never see him...which involves those loving STUPID DREAM EATERS WHY THE gently caress DID THEY HAVE TO BE TIED TO ABILITIES ALLIWANTEDWASFUCKINGSECONDCHANCEANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay...Okay, I'm calm...I'm calm...Anyways. Don't play Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. It's an exercise in frustration, forced grinding and...virtual pets that have to be in different dispositions to unlock certain abilities because gently caress you, Second Chance is tied to a Dream Eater you won't get the recipe for until...about two thirds through the game and gently caress the final bosses...gently caress the story...lets play a GOOD game and forget Kingdom Hearts even exists.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 17, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kemix posted:

lets play a GOOD game and forget Kingdom Hearts even exists.

Mega already is:

Mega64 posted:

Sorry, Fallout 4 got the better of me.

:v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Earnestly posted:

You're lying.

Either I am or the wiki wasn't accurate. It also says that the Warrior of Light, Cecil, Bartz, Locke, Celes, Laguna, Lightning, and Balthier are in Dream Drop Distance, but I never played anything past 2 and Chain of Memories so I have no idea. :shrug:

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
None of those characters are in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the kingdom hearts wiki is curated by fanfic authors who pretend to know japanese

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

the kingdom hearts wiki is curated by fanfic authors who pretend to know japanese

One of them is.

But, yeah, none of those guys are in DDD as actual characters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kemix posted:

I had the unfortunate 'pleasure' of playing KH3D and...he DOES show up...in a minigame...which we never see him...which involves those loving STUPID DREAM EATERS WHY THE gently caress DID THEY HAVE TO BE TIED TO ABILITIES ALLIWANTEDWASFUCKINGSECONDCHANCEANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay...Okay, I'm calm...I'm calm...Anyways. Don't play Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. It's an exercise in frustration, forced grinding and...virtual pets that have to be in different dispositions to unlock certain abilities because gently caress you, Second Chance is tied to a Dream Eater you won't get the recipe for until...about two thirds through the game and gently caress the final bosses...gently caress the story...lets play a GOOD game and forget Kingdom Hearts even exists.

Learn to write, goddamn.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I played KH II, and as I recall Vivi's hat was not happy about being there.

Anyone who played that game can appreciate this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZsDUSxK5Fs

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

KH DDD has "gates" (probably got that name wrong and it's something dumb but :shrug:) which are basically just skirmishes for your stupid pet things against another team of stupid pet things and the gates are named after FF characters which of you were really reaching you could interpret as the dumb pet things being raised by them. That's it. Just like Bartz was in the After Years because his name was said once, right? :v:

E: VVV Heh, sorry, just the first example I could think of where a character was referenced by name and nothing else.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 18, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlphaKretin posted:

KH DDD has "gates" (probably got that name wrong and it's something dumb but :shrug:) which are basically just skirmishes for your stupid pet things against another team of stupid pet things and the gates are named after FF characters which of you were really reaching you could interpret as the dumb pet things being raised by them. That's it. Just like Bartz was in the After Years because his name was said once, right? :v:

Can we not bring After Years into this otherwise rational conversation about ludicrous JRPG series?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I guess Blank will be trapped in Evil Forest forever. Do you think he can think and/or dream? Or is it like time is frozen altogether for him?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Final Fantasy IX: Magical Melody

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Maybe he experiences every second to the fullest, elongated by boredom of a strengh you cannot imagine as a living beeing made from flesh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kemix posted:

ALL CAPS WHITE NOISE

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Good timing, as I was gonna write this yesterday but eh.

Yeah, I'm done. I don't have the free time anymore to do Let's Plays in general, especially of the quality I've put into my last two. And when I do, that's less time to spend doing stuff like playing Fallout 4 or playing more Fallout 4. My life's changed a lot since I started doing these things (for the better!), and I've got enough going on that it's time I moved on. So I'm pretty much retiring at this point.

Sorry I had to abandon yet another Let's Play, especially sorry to Orange Fluffy Sheep who was contributing one hell of a low-level run. I hope that continues on in some capacity.

I truly appreciate everyone who followed my various LP's. They've all been a blast, even the failures, and I learned a lot of useful stuff that I hope to use in whatever crazy projects I mess with next. And all that crazy effort was worth it for all the great feedback I've gotten over the years. I'm glad everyone enjoyed me talking over screenshots of Final Fantasy games and making whatever goofy-rear end GIFs I felt like.

So yeah, it's been a good run. Maybe I'll do an occasional stream or megathread or something quick and easy, but for now I'm off, uh, doing whatever the hell I plan on doing, I don't know.

Rest in peace, Dr. Tot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am okay with 99% of your decision EXCEPT it means we never met Dr. Tot and that's just a killer.:smith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
In the end it was Mega64 who forgot Dr. Tot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

:smith:

• Locked thread