Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

lol. I've watched that 3 times because my roommates and I made a drinking game out of it

what was the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

what was the game
"Drink."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well the gameplay is technically solid, even if the first person segments aren't great, so I'll say eh 35 points. 5 points for the nonsense story that forces itself onto the game every 10 minutes, 1 point for the pixel hunting segments. So that's 41%, OK, now we add the usual Orchestra bonus of 25 points per live orchestra and we get 91%.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Well the gameplay is technically solid, even if the first person segments aren't great, so I'll say eh 35 points. 5 points for the nonsense story that forces itself onto the game every 10 minutes, 1 point for the pixel hunting segments. So that's 41%, OK, now we add the usual Orchestra bonus of 25 points per live orchestra and we get 91%.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im totally shocked the game where you just run forward and mash the autoaiming shoot button for 10 hours got good reviews

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would have liked Other M if it had randomized loot and an RPG upgrade system.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

"The lights! The sounds! The lights!" scrawled on the wall over and over in a shaky hand. "91 percent" is carved into the reviewer's arm.

What's crazy is that the orchestral soundtrack covers like 3 songs! He main theme, some ambient stuff, and a redo of the boss medley (or Ridley's theme). The game reuses the boss theme for any action scene or boss fight.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think all those reviews capture high school me's mind set when I was playing the game. But right after I beat it I thought back and realized it was terrible. I get that the developers wanted to do different stuff, which I'm game for. Prime 1 is a huge departure from 2d metroids but it's one of the best games in the series. It kinda seems like all the choices about how the game would play and how the plot would happen were done without any thought past "hey an orchestra would be cool" or "hey we can give Samus dialogue". But forgetting that the memorable tracks from the older games worked really well as electronic scores and Samus earned way more cred as a silent protagonist.

So like in Prime 1-3 where Samus's emotions are expressed through body movements or visor shots very quickly. That's really cool!

frank.club fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 17, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Energy Tank Parts

Accel Charge

Missle Tanks (1 extra missile)

Concentration

SenseMove

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The only, and I mean only cool thing about Other M was the diffusion beam. They even hosed up speed boosting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Timed Dodging would be cool in theory but in practice the window for it was so wide, whenever an enemy was in a room I would only move by tapping the dpad to shuffle step around because the second an attack animation started you would instantly go into slo mo mode and obliterate the enemy without having to do anything.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Other M did give us a CG render of Mother Brain's hosed up t-rex form which is pretty cool. I dunno if it appears in the actual game but I watched the flashback cutscene and it looked neat.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

Other M did give us a CG render of Mother Brain's hosed up t-rex form which is pretty cool. I dunno if it appears in the actual game but I watched the flashback cutscene and it looked neat.

it's surprising they didn't just recreate the whole fight.

If you haven't played the game the federation takes chunks of mother brain off your suit to make their own AI construct. This ends up being an android named Melissa Bergman (The federation nàmed her to match Mother Brain's initials) who you fight in a forced 1st person segment where all you can do is shoot missiles. Then the game ends unless you will yourself to play the bonus chapter
Oh the game also shows the evolution of 'Ridley'. He starts as like a Pokemon who goes 0 to 100 really quick

frank.club fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 17, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Timed Dodging would be cool in theory but in practice the window for it was so wide, whenever an enemy was in a room I would only move by tapping the dpad to shuffle step around because the second an attack animation started you would instantly go into slo mo mode and obliterate the enemy without having to do anything.
Basically, Platinum should have made Other M.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Ridley's Zero Mission sprite is a thing of beauty. No pics tonight sorry, too tirted.

ZM Kraid is great too

Fusion Ridley is weird but it's still an ok Ridley fight. Look how boring this boss room is though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forgot how awesome zero's Sprite work is

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

somehow i never noticed kraid's hat before.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ridley?? It can't be... :cry:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

today is metroid prime's thirteenth birthday.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Dark Samus.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
dark samus is being added to smash

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

elf help book posted:

dark samus is being added to smash

Is that not a palette swap already?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

As a Millennial I posted:

:(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just a few more years before metroid prime is Legally Fuckable, in some states.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

just a few more years before metroid prime is Legally Fuckable, in some states.
Games, now: I love Metroid Prime, it's so good.

Games, in a few years: Eh, it just doesn't interest me anymore. I don't know why.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

jesus christ it really did come out 13 years ago

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

Is that not a palette swap already?

I was going to say that might be the phazon suit, but the phazon suit is dark samus, so either way, yes??

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
ok so in zero mission i just got the ice beam. i had alreayd done all that poo poo + 2 more e tanks but then my save file just disappeared for no reason so i had to start oever again and it was really frustrating. its really fun so far but the wall jumping is weird

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
and now i don't know where to go. i spent 5 minutes infinite bomb jumping in brinstar to get somewhere i wasn't supposed to be but all i found was a chozo statue that refilled my hp and put a mark on my map where Ridley is.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Use the Ice Beam to freeze your enemies in place, Samus!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which bosses have you killed

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i killed the charge beam worm and thats it. i've been everywhere in brinstar and norfair. there arent any blank map spots or anything

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

ok i found it nevermind.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

i killed the charge beam worm and thats it. i've been everywhere in brinstar and norfair. there arent any blank map spots or anything

Do you have UNKNOWN ITEM? Norfair has an elevator that leads up to another zone, but I suspect you've been there already.

You probably want to head back to the starting corridor in Brinstar and you'll find an early room that will open up now. A Chozo statue somewhere is supposed to give you this hint though iirc

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've only played 1 Metroid game :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've only played 1 Metroid game :negative:

it's never too late to start the others

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Always time to game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Kraids Lair in this is a labyrinth of secrets and BS but now after a half hour of 'but how the gently caress do i get that' I killed his rear end and got everything. Samus out.

• Locked thread