Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I've been told by one of my fellow developers that new Xcode defaults to adding UI flags to new controls, in this case UILabels, that are incompatible with iOS 6. Yeah, yeah, I know, Apple wants everyone to buy and target the Latest and Greatest™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

teh ipad si hueg

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

kuroshi posted:

I've been told by one of my fellow developers that new Xcode defaults to adding UI flags to new controls, in this case UILabels, that are incompatible with iOS 6. Yeah, yeah, I know, Apple wants everyone to buy and target the Latest and Greatest™.

This is a dick move. But maybe I'm also a dick because I'm dropping support for iOS 5 / 6 for a little utility app of mine for no other reason than I simply can't test it anymore. I don't have any devices that have iOS 6, and I don't think you can even get an iOS 6 simulator anymore in Xcode 7.

So I'm just going to use 'Apple won't let me' as an excuse in case any users complain.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

lord funk posted:

I don't think you can even get an iOS 6 simulator anymore in Xcode 7.
You can't even get an iOS 7 simulator in Xcode 7. I think you have to go back to Xcode 5 for an iOS 6 sim.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

lord funk posted:

This is a dick move. But maybe I'm also a dick because I'm dropping support for iOS 5 / 6 for a little utility app of mine for no other reason than I simply can't test it anymore. I don't have any devices that have iOS 6, and I don't think you can even get an iOS 6 simulator anymore in Xcode 7.

If you have an app in the App Store that works on iOS 6 and then bring out an update that only works for iOS 9, is the iOS 6 version still available to everyone <iOS 9?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yes, if memory serves.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I can't run any apps on my device now. "Untrusted Developer. Your device management settings....You can allow using these apps in Settings." There is no Profiles entry under General. It all worked perfectly before, I was able to build and run any project on my device using 9.0 and all the 9.1 Betas. This started with 9.2 beta, although I never had problems before when installing new betas. I've tried deleting all provisioning profiles in Xcode and starting over. I vaguely remember having to sign into the apple developer site on iOS Safari and installing a profile from there, but can't find that anywhere now. WTF?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Xcode should install any profiles needed for development onto the device.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Yea, it has done that perfectly well in the past, but not anymore with the newest Xcode 7.2 beta. I suppose I have to wait for another Xcode beta release and hope that they fix it before doing any iOS stuff because there seems to be no way around it barring nuking my devices.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's generally a good idea to only install betas if you know you'll need them, I've learned that the hard way a few times.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Well, I did need it at the time to see if issues with certain API were fixed.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

So I'm just going to use 'Apple won't let me' as an excuse in case any users complain.

Jesus, how many users do you even have still running 5/6? Or what percent of your userbase at least? It seems like everyone I can think of has had their minimum OS set to iOS 7 for at least a year.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

ultramiraculous posted:

Jesus, how many users do you even have still running 5/6? Or what percent of your userbase at least? It seems like everyone I can think of has had their minimum OS set to iOS 7 for at least a year.

If it's a utility app, maybe old people on the original iPad?

Still, it can't be that significant of a portion of the user base to warrant the headache of supporting 5 versions of iOS.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kuroshi posted:

I've been told by one of my fellow developers that new Xcode defaults to adding UI flags to new controls, in this case UILabels, that are incompatible with iOS 6.

Interface Builder should give you warnings if you do this so you can fix it if the xib/storyboard has its Deployment Target set to earlier than iOS 7 in the inspector. (Or if it's set to get its deployment target from the target itself, and the target or project as a whole has an iOS Deployment Target less than 7.)

If Xcode/IB isn't giving you such a warning that's definitely something to file at bugreport.apple.com with an example.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

Our app's build on the App Store still supports iOS 5.1.1. We've been trying to release our new version which bumps that to 7, but have been in preview video limbo for nearly two weeks now.

Has anyone launched an app with preview videos, and if so did you have headaches doing it? We first pushed our app for review at the start of last week, with the videos in the "Processing, may take 24 hours" state - they were edited with Sony Movie Studio but conformed to all the specifications for the H.264 spec listed in the iTunes Connect guide.

After a week we received a Metadata rejection, saying "Your App Previews failed to process during review. Please re-export your previews using QuickTime with the ProRes codec as a .mov file.". Under the "Resources" heading, they linked to the iMovie guide which outputs an mp4 with identical settings to our original file. We responded saying we thought we'd conformed to the requirements, attached a version we'd run through iMovie, and asked for clarification. The reply we got was "In reviewing your reply, it seems your question would be best addressed by iTunes Connect. Submit an inquiry through iTunes Connect Contact Us for an expedited response". We've done this but 3 days later haven't had a reply.

We've tried getting the ProRes codec as they suggested, but it will only install with commercial video editing software (such as Final Cut Pro) installed. Based on the subsequent reply and the mismatch of information in the original rejection, I'm not sure that reviewer is fully clued up on what the problem actually is, so we're not inclined to spend a bunch of money on software we don't need and might not fix the actual problem.

Thinking that there may be some remnants of the previous editing stage causing problems, I tried recording a dummy video straight off an iPad using QuickTime, ran this through iMovie's preview exporter and uploaded to the portal as a test. 24 hours later that version has failed with "Some error".

It feels ridiculous that two weeks on we're still no closer to getting an app review or knowing what the problem is, especially to be held up on a video after five months of engineering effort. It doesn't help that the review team appear to be based on California time zone (or at least work to it) and we're in the UK, so our working hours never overlap.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I have Xcode 6 and 7 installed side by side on my machine. Using Xcode 7, the app runs fine under all but the iOS 9.x simulators, all of which show our launch xib, and then go to a black screen. I've read that this is possibly some kind of conflict between both Xcode installations sharing simulators... Anyone else see this?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Speaking of updates, my new IAP is not showing up in the store downloaded app, but when I build / run from Xcode it's just fine. What am I missing.....................

edit: just a propagation thing? Like they should eventually appear? App went live yesterday evening. FML

edit: yep, just took 20 hours for the IAP to be available on their servers.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

Our app's build on the App Store still supports iOS 5.1.1. We've been trying to release our new version which bumps that to 7, but have been in preview video limbo for nearly two weeks now.

Has anyone launched an app with preview videos, and if so did you have headaches doing it? We first pushed our app for review at the start of last week, with the videos in the "Processing, may take 24 hours" state - they were edited with Sony Movie Studio but conformed to all the specifications for the H.264 spec listed in the iTunes Connect guide.

After a week we received a Metadata rejection, saying "Your App Previews failed to process during review. Please re-export your previews using QuickTime with the ProRes codec as a .mov file.". Under the "Resources" heading, they linked to the iMovie guide which outputs an mp4 with identical settings to our original file. We responded saying we thought we'd conformed to the requirements, attached a version we'd run through iMovie, and asked for clarification. The reply we got was "In reviewing your reply, it seems your question would be best addressed by iTunes Connect. Submit an inquiry through iTunes Connect Contact Us for an expedited response". We've done this but 3 days later haven't had a reply.

We've tried getting the ProRes codec as they suggested, but it will only install with commercial video editing software (such as Final Cut Pro) installed. Based on the subsequent reply and the mismatch of information in the original rejection, I'm not sure that reviewer is fully clued up on what the problem actually is, so we're not inclined to spend a bunch of money on software we don't need and might not fix the actual problem.

Thinking that there may be some remnants of the previous editing stage causing problems, I tried recording a dummy video straight off an iPad using QuickTime, ran this through iMovie's preview exporter and uploaded to the portal as a test. 24 hours later that version has failed with "Some error".

It feels ridiculous that two weeks on we're still no closer to getting an app review or knowing what the problem is, especially to be held up on a video after five months of engineering effort. It doesn't help that the review team appear to be based on California time zone (or at least work to it) and we're in the UK, so our working hours never overlap.

I don't have any of Apple's pro apps installed, yet I have the ProRes codec.

One of my apps has a preview video. It processed pretty quickly. I don't remember if it was h.264 or ProRes. If your video is h.264 codec, are you saving it as .mov or .mp4?

Make sure you're also staying under their maximum bitrate. And only 30fps (:()

edit: Ok so I do have one of Apple's pro apps installed: Compressor.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Doc Block posted:

I don't have any of Apple's pro apps installed, yet I have the ProRes codec.

One of my apps has a preview video. It processed pretty quickly. I don't remember if it was h.264 or ProRes. If your video is h.264 codec, are you saving it as .mov or .mp4?

Make sure you're also staying under their maximum bitrate. And only 30fps (:()

edit: Ok so I do have one of Apple's pro apps installed: Compressor.

So we tried running our original edited videos through iMovie (which, for the record, generates a h.264 mp4 with no options), exporting them as App Previews and resubmitting for another review. Later in the day we got the same "Some error" message, but then checked iTunes Connect on a different Mac with a slightly newer version of Safari (9.0.1 vs 9.0) and they appear to have processed successfully.. Go back to the Mac with the older Safari (which we were always using before) and it still reports an error. :suicide:

Fingers crossed we'll get through review this time. The videos had sat in the Processing stage for a full week the time we failed, and on subsequent attempts we'd taken the error message as reliable and abandoned early rather than cross referencing with different browsers.

This is off the back of a week spent wrestling with split-screen mode on the iPad for our next update, which seems a nightmare to support if you're doing anything outside the norm of regular UIKit handling. It's all fun, eh?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Froist posted:

This is off the back of a week spent wrestling with split-screen mode on the iPad for our next update, which seems a nightmare to support if you're doing anything outside the norm of regular UIKit handling. It's all fun, eh?

This is next up for me. [img='giant-emot-suicide.gif']

Does anyone know how Google gets it's App Rating stars? My apps have 4.5-5 stars but in the Google search results they're shown with 1 star: https://www.google.com/#q=tc-11+itunes

TC-11 is the biggest offender. 147 reviews, 4.5 stars, but it shows up with 1 star in search. :/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

lord funk posted:

This is next up for me. [img='giant-emot-suicide.gif']

Does anyone know how Google gets it's App Rating stars? My apps have 4.5-5 stars but in the Google search results they're shown with 1 star: https://www.google.com/#q=tc-11+itunes

TC-11 is the biggest offender. 147 reviews, 4.5 stars, but it shows up with 1 star in search. :/

I don't know the answer but I had a similar problem the other day, so if you learn anything report back plz.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I don't know the answer but I had a similar problem the other day, so if you learn anything report back plz.

According to this discussion it's only checking the most recent version, and if it doesn't have enough reviews it returns [null], and Google's default display is 1 star.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

lord funk posted:

According to this discussion it's only checking the most recent version, and if it doesn't have enough reviews it returns [null], and Google's default display is 1 star.

Thanks. Nothing to be done about it really but nice to have some idea of what's up!

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Anyone know where I might start looking for writing/using remote views in OS X (found while looking through private frameworks)? I notice an NSRemoteView class in OS X headers, but it's obviously undocumented, as it's a private API.

Alternatively, a general approach to creating views or windows the contents of which are managed by external applications.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I have a Swift app and I'm trying to work on some memory problems. It gets killed occasionally due to Jetsam events when its at ~20-30MB (1200-2000 pages) (its an extension).

Anyway, I can't get a consistent reading of memory usage and I have a hard time finding what this 30MB actually corresponds to.

1) When I run attached to the Xcode debugging, Xcode might report something like ~8MB while Instruments activity monitor reports 30.
2) When I run activity monitor and allocations instruments, activity monitor reports 78MB real memory, while allocations reports 46MB transient bytes, and 14MB persistent bytes (which don't even add up to 78MB). I added some memory reporting in my application logs and it reports M: 29.734375 (using this method I found somewhere and converted into Swift):
code:
	class func report_memory() -> String {
		var info = task_basic_info()
		var count = mach_msg_type_number_t(sizeofValue(info))/4

let kerr: kern_return_t = withUnsafeMutablePointer(&info) {

task_info(mach_task_self_,
				task_flavor_t(TASK_BASIC_INFO),
				task_info_t($0),
				&count)
		}

if kerr == KERN_SUCCESS {
			return "M: \(Double(info.resident_size) / 1048576.0)"
		}
		else {
			return "Error with task_info(): " +	(String.fromCString(mach_error_string(kerr)) ?? "unknown error")
		}
	}
basically... how much memory am I actually using? What do I trust when I'm getting multiple reports? If activity monitor reports 70MB and allocations reports 15MB, how do I actually use that to investigate memory usage and improve my app?

Also (with no debugger or instruments attached), my log entry at the beginning of viewDidLoad already reports 17MB used before I do anything. <Warning>: M: 17.78125 | View did load start

My storyboards are all pretty simple with no images. Any hints? I've been able to cut back small amounts here and there, but I can't really tell where most of this memory usage is coming from.

Built 4 Cuban Linux fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 17, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
What's a good resource for learning to actually build iOS apps with Swift? I've got a pretty good handle on the language from skimming the Apple book, but I'm pretty new to XCode and interface design so I want to do some practice projects. Tried going with a course on iTunes U that is allegedly updated to Swift 2, but almost everything the guy shows in the videos won't behave the same way on my computer.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

What's a good resource for learning to actually build iOS apps with Swift? I've got a pretty good handle on the language from skimming the Apple book, but I'm pretty new to XCode and interface design so I want to do some practice projects. Tried going with a course on iTunes U that is allegedly updated to Swift 2, but almost everything the guy shows in the videos won't behave the same way on my computer.

Just about everything you watch / read these days will be out of date simply because of the breakneck pace of Swift evolution. This will eventually slow down, but for now feel free to ask syntax questions here as you run into them.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

lord funk posted:

Just about everything you watch / read these days will be out of date simply because of the breakneck pace of Swift evolution. This will eventually slow down, but for now feel free to ask syntax questions here as you run into them.

So far it's not so much syntax/Swift intricacies as it is using Swift in the context of a graphical application. Say, for example, I want to make a tip calculator as practice. I can easily do that as a console application, but I want to make it a single-view iOS app so I can learn about hooking all the buttons, inputs, outputs together. The course I was watching used storyboards to build the interface, but something must have changed in between his version of XCode and mine because if I replicate his steps about half of the things don't work.

I did find the Apple developer library, so hopefully I'll have better success there. I'll certainly come in and ask if I run into any more issues.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
You can definitely use storyboards with Swift view controllers. You need to tag the instance vars @IBOutlet and the functions @IBAction. Adding those tags will provide a little handle in the gutter of your code editor which you can drag to various corresponding elements in the storyboard.

This worked as of 9.0, anyway, and I don't see it changing anytime soon, it's how IB has worked since it got integrated with Xcode.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Well, not quite what I set out to do, but there are some neato undocumented APIs out there:

I assume NSRemoteView and such are used to implement app extensions, but it turns out to be doable to create your own custom XPC service to host a view controller.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

So far it's not so much syntax/Swift intricacies as it is using Swift in the context of a graphical application. Say, for example, I want to make a tip calculator as practice. I can easily do that as a console application, but I want to make it a single-view iOS app so I can learn about hooking all the buttons, inputs, outputs together. The course I was watching used storyboards to build the interface, but something must have changed in between his version of XCode and mine because if I replicate his steps about half of the things don't work.

I did find the Apple developer library, so hopefully I'll have better success there. I'll certainly come in and ask if I run into any more issues.

https://www.raywenderlich.com has decent articles and often updates them with language changes and even has a tip calculator tutorial I think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I've got a DialogViewController, and on RefreshRequested, it calls the same function it called to populate itself the first time. However, every time I do it, it gets offset upwards a bit -- the topmost bit gets scrolled above the screen, and even if you drag to it, it bounces right back away, because the app thinks you've gone above where the top should be. And each time you refresh the DialogViewController, a bit more goes off the top of the screen, until you can't even refresh it any more because you can't drag it that far down. The DialogViewController itself contains a Section that is cleared out and then dynamically populated with StylizedStringElements, because I inherited this code and I don't want to tear the whole thing down and rewrite it properly if I don't have to.

I thought this would be a simple fix, but maybe I don't know the right words to describe it, because Google's giving me dick-all. Anyone got ideas? I'll tear it down and replace it with a table if I've got to, but that'll be a hassle.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Well, not quite what I set out to do, but there are some neato undocumented APIs out there:

I assume NSRemoteView and such are used to implement app extensions, but it turns out to be doable to create your own custom XPC service to host a view controller.

It's also used for open and save panels.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Toady posted:

It's also used for open and save panels.

Ah! Good suggestion and probably a better target for IDA Pro than ShareKit to figure out how to make it work.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Hacking apart CoreSimulator has some interesting XPC aspects, if I recall. From what I remember, the iOS Simulator window and the actual simulated OS are different processes.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

emoji posted:

https://www.raywenderlich.com has decent articles and often updates them with language changes and even has a tip calculator tutorial I think.

I actually ended up finding that shortly after posting. Lots of great stuff there, and mostly updated. Now I'm familiar enough with the process that I can start working through Exercises for Programmers in a very iPhone way.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Froist posted:

For us it was dealing with Popovers. UIKit offers basically no help and the docs pretty much say "you might want to fiddle with some buttons or something, good luck".

I wrote an AdaptivePopover extension to UIKit that actually handles popover transitions properly on size class changes. It still can't deal with a modal on top of the popover because UIKit can't handle any view hierarchy changes to view controllers underneath the current view controller. I have a branch that dynamically subclasses UIViewControllers to hook up to the proper lifecycle events that would allow you to defer dealing with popover changes when they are under a modal (after the modal dismisses) but we ended up punting and just dismissing the modal in that scenario. I'm going to try to open source the AdaptivePopover stuff though. It was a real lifesaver.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I'm not sure if anyone here can help me out, but I have a friend whose iPhone 6 was bricked with error 53 after he needed a new home button. I did a preliminary search and its maybe possible to reprogram the SoC to the new home button. I'm a programmer but I don't really code for Apple. Is this actually feasible? Or does anyone know any other solutions?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I'm not sure if anyone here can help me out, but I have a friend whose iPhone 6 was bricked with error 53 after he needed a new home button. I did a preliminary search and its maybe possible to reprogram the SoC to the new home button. I'm a programmer but I don't really code for Apple. Is this actually feasible? Or does anyone know any other solutions?

My guess is getting it to talk to the touchid sensor, which they probably have locked way the heck down. My gut says no dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Buy a new iPhone.