Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It never left did it

japan more or less recovered from the early 90s and did pretty OK for 20 years. this time is the death spiral though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I enjoyed it and had no idea for YEARS that that branching story existed

I was playing at the same time as my best friend in high school and we realized it when we were talking about missions and neither of us knew what the other was talking about and I went on the internet to find out what the hell was going on

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nate RFB posted:

The only Igavania I don't like is Harmony of Dissonance, the rest are various degrees of Really Great.

Harmony of Despair, the multiplayer console grindfest that was on PS3/360 and reused assets from the handheld games, was pretty poo poo too.

I'm not really a fan of Circle of the Moon, there were some real bullshit bits in there and in retrospect I only really liked it because it was the first game of that style since SOTN.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Every FM after was such a complete letdown.
FM5 seemed to generate a lot of noise but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. The story was completely unengaging and I think I hit some brick wall of difficulty in a mission and just couldn't be bothered to try again.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

VideoGames posted:

hello thread! i have a question that has occured after reading about WoW. I tried to find a WoW thread in the blizzard subforum and couldnt so i assume no one really cares about it.

if someone was to buy WoW now, what sort of game do they play? I know there have been expansions and Im wondering how it works if you are a brand new player. do you buy a version with them all in? or do you only get access to the starting area? is the starting area different because of the expansions? how do they act in regards to totally new people? (im not an MMO player, just very curious!)

I'd like to echo this question; I've been curious about starting WoW too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Ecclesia is the best one though

This is correct. If you're even a passing fan of Castlevania and you haven't played Ecclesia you really should get round to it, it's really good stuff

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

bloodychill posted:

I was playing at the same time as my best friend in high school and we realized it when we were talking about missions and neither of us knew what the other was talking about and I went on the internet to find out what the hell was going on

I liked the e-mails and the in-game internet thing they had going on. Was a neat way to dispense optional lore and characterization.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

giogadi posted:

I'd like to echo this question; I've been curious about starting WoW too.

You probably shouldn't. There aren't really any good MMOs around anymore (hard to say if there ever were tbh).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

axleblaze posted:

If you love OP, you'll be in heaven, if only because you'll get to play Ivankov, which is all you should care about

hell yeah, I watched a bit of the trailers and saw that there was a lot of stuff in the game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
WoW is a pretty good game, but the genre is not worth the time you have to invest in it. The only reason why I quit was because it was taking away too much of my free time, and I was already spending the least amount of time possible.

Ironically, the game that I wanted to spend that time on was Destiny :v:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Nthing that everyone who's atleast an ancillary fan of Castlevania should give Order of Ecclesia a try, if you can get your hands on a cartridge. It became one of my favorite games in the series pretty fast. I find it to be a perfect blend of classic Castlevania gameplay that involves a bit of skill, with the more modern Castlevania gameplay involving levels and gaining new skills to progress. The bosses telegraph their moves fairly well, so there are in-game trophies for not getting hit by them... but that doesn't mean it's easy. It takes a bit of practice, but when you do, oh my god it feels so cool.

I really hope that Igarashi's new game, Bloodstained, will take a lot of cues from Order of Ecclesia in that regard. Order of Ecclesia is definitely the most rewarding feeling Castlevania and hearkens back to how great the classic Castlevanias felt when you beat them.

raditts posted:

Harmony of Despair, the multiplayer console grindfest that was on PS3/360 and reused assets from the handheld games, was pretty poo poo too.

Harmony of Despair is pretty divisive in that people love it or hate it. It definitely has a lot of grinding, but I loved the game. When it had an online presence, it was a blast to play with both friends and strangers. My PSN ID is still Richer Belmont's portrait from the game. :unsmith:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

So, in big, awesome news, Valkyria Chronicles is getting a PS4 remaster AND new game.

I'm loving excited. :tem:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The "new game" being a spinoff in a different genre that probably won't be localized and wouldn't sell even it was.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Motto posted:

The "new game" being a spinoff in a different genre that probably won't be localized and wouldn't sell even it was.

And knowing sega, a vita exclusive

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VideoGames posted:

hello thread! i have a question that has occured after reading about WoW. I tried to find a WoW thread in the blizzard subforum and couldnt so i assume no one really cares about it.

if someone was to buy WoW now, what sort of game do they play? I know there have been expansions and Im wondering how it works if you are a brand new player. do you buy a version with them all in? or do you only get access to the starting area? is the starting area different because of the expansions? how do they act in regards to totally new people? (im not an MMO player, just very curious!)

You can play up to level 20 (of 100) for free right now. It's a good way to decide if you are into the game's content or not. You might not be able to access the battlegrounds (pvp focused team combat maps) until you buy a subscription, though. You'll have access to the (redone for Cataclysm) starting areas and quests of the game, but won't be able to go to any of the expansion-exclusive zones, and you'll obviously get brutalized if you go to higher level areas.

It is advisable to join a friendly guild if you want to have easy answers to questions you might have about the game while you play.

E: Almost forgot, if you purchase up to the latest expansion, you can get a single character boosted to level 90, allowing you to immediately play through the highest level areas and reach the current endgame content in a jiffy. This is desirable if you want to be where "the action is at" instead of merely experiencing the game in its entirety at your own pace.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 17, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

The new game is confirmed to be a PS4 game.

What they have not confirmed is if it will get a release outside of Japan and knowing Sega that is an important question.

Speaking of Sega it boggles my mind that they didn't announce an HD version of Shenmue 1/2 while the game still had E3 hype.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

theultimo posted:

It's for the PS4, but it's either a standard JRPG or an action RPG, so that'd be what would kill it in the west.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Honestly, you should jump in when Legion is released, instant boost to 100 and ready for current content.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

It's for the PS4, but it's either a standard JRPG or an action RPG, so that'd be what would kill it in the west.

Both of those sub-genres are much popular than strategy RPG's though. (Unfortunately)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Both of those sub-genres are much popular than strategy RPG's though. (Unfortunately)

As evidenced by Disgaea 5 :(

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Outside of certain IPs that have been popular since the 90s (Final Fantasy) or managed to break out in the years since (Persona), I think JRPGs are generally unpopular. I dunno, SPRGs might not be popular either, but VC did pretty well for itself both on the PS3 and PC, and I think shifting it into another niche genre will just burn what momentum they had, just like going to PSP did after VC1's PS3 release. Don't think it'll help them in Japan either, since I highly doubt the console market is ever going to come back in that region.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 17, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

good help

thank you for answering my question!

i dont have any desire to play WoW, I was suddenly wondering how they gated content for what is probably a very large map when new players join. i remember hearing about the expansions being major events and such. it lead me to think that perhaps if you weren't there playing from the beginning that you'd miss out.

then it lead me to wonder if that were the case how would you entice new players who'd never tried before!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
VC did not do that well at all though :crossarms:

I mean the whole reason for the different direction for the series was that the anime based on it was more popular than the game so they made some cheap quick games to capitalize on that limited new audience in Japan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

axleblaze posted:

VC did not do that well at all though :crossarms:

I mean the whole reason for the different direction for the series was that the anime based on it was more popular than the game so they made some cheap quick games to capitalize on that limited new audience in Japan.

I heard that it did pretty well in NA, but they only cared about boosting japanese sales, so they moved it to the PSP since handhelds were more popular in Japan back then, which had the unfortunate side-effect of killing the series overseas since the PSP cratered here on top of VC2 being generally worse than 1.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 17, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah VC 1 was a story of young generals, VC 2 are high schoolers :/

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, I heard Valkyria Chronicles 3 was a really good game, but we never got it over here because VC2 tanked. Lots of people still upset over that one.

Then they released VC1 on Steam and from everything I heard, it did really well and Sega was flat out floored by how well it sold.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Outside of certain IPs that have been popular since the 90s (Final Fantasy) or managed to break out in the years since (Persona), I think JRPGs are generally unpopular. I dunno, SPRGs might not be popular either, but VC did pretty well for itself both on the PS3 and PC, and I think shifting it into another niche genre will just burn what momentum they had, just like going to PSP did after VC1's PS3 release. Don't think it'll help them in Japan either, since I highly doubt the console market is ever going to come back in that region.

I mean it's Sega so meh but more obscure niche Japanese stuff gets translated nowadays than ever before, especially since, as you say the home console market is dying in Japan, and companies are increasingly looking to overseas markets where non mobile/handheld games still sell.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm a huge Circle of the Moon fan, I will go to 'bat' for that game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, I heard Valkyria Chronicles 3 was a really good game, but we never got it over here because VC2 tanked. Lots of people still upset over that one.

Being a PSP game in 2011 probably had more to do with that.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

I still have a copy of VC for PS3, I hear they were of limited quantities. Went and bought it for the PC, as well. I think the reason VC2 didn't take off was that it was relegated to a PSP title, and it took a "teens/academy" angle.

It's easy to understand the hard transition if you went through the story of VC1, that was not the happiest of plots :sweatdrop:

VideoGames posted:

i dont have any desire to play WoW, I was suddenly wondering how they gated content for what is probably a very large map when new players join. i remember hearing about the expansions being major events and such. it lead me to think that perhaps if you weren't there playing from the beginning that you'd miss out.

then it lead me to wonder if that were the case how would you entice new players who'd never tried before!

Didn't they also move WoW to a PLEX-like system of subscription extension where you trade in-game currency to purchase subscription time? It's not the moneymaker it once was, and getting consistent numbers from grinders/farmers encourages people to stay and play.

Still there's no harm in the demo if you get the itch. And with any MMO, getting into a good group of fun people can take the boring out of the game and actually make it fun!

Speaking of MMOs long in the tooth, FF11 is still going, but soon to sunset for the PS2 players. They took a lot of teamwork out of the game so you can now solo a lot of content, and the story was pretty good at the time. It's a bit of a timesink, but if you're short on games to play, it might be something to look into.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Motto posted:

I don't think they were ever unpopular but no they were never GTA or Call of Duty level mainstream, with the exception of Pokemon games with literal children

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I downloaded Front Mission 3 from the PS Store and it's still just as great as I remember.

Everybody should play that game.

my playthrough stalled out when i realized I have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to making upgrade choices and all my suits were tuned for maximum shittiness. very good game though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

VideoGames posted:

WoW has only had one good event in its decade long run, and it pissed off a vocal chunk of the player base and caused them to never attempt to do something like it again.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

WoW has only had one good event in its decade long run, and it pissed off a vocal chunk of the player base and caused them to never attempt to do something like it again.

Gonna guess you're talking about the zombie event prior to the WOTLK release. That really pissed people off.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Yeah people were losing their minds when you exploded the auction house/battlemaser with zombie aids

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Before that there was some kind of plague you could get from STV that would just kill you after a certain amount of time passed, or something.

I remember people going to Orgrimmar and spreading it around somehow. That got patched pretty fast.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Before that there was some kind of plague you could get from STV that would just kill you after a certain amount of time passed, or something.

I remember people going to Orgrimmar and spreading it around somehow. That got patched pretty fast.

There were a lot of griefing cases in WoW, and a lot of it was rolled back and undone quickly. Some of them were big, like getting a boss-fight-only contagion out into starting areas, and some of them were exploiting PvP(not anything "illegal", but the methods of innovative engagement were blocked, and wins using them were rolled back, as I recall)

There was even ones involving dragging big boss monsters into towns from across the map.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, the Corrupted Blood incident was really cool and what inspired the official zombie event, it was a literal, unanticipated epidemic which completely blindsided everyone. Seeing piles of corpses outside the auction house and masses of confused pubbes on general chat baffled as to why they died was probably the most memorable thing WoW (accidentally) did

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mistle posted:

There was even ones involving dragging big boss monsters into towns from across the map.

That's not griefing, Stitches just loves Goldshire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, the Corrupted Blood incident was really cool and what inspired the official zombie event, it was a literal, unanticipated epidemic which completely blindsided everyone. Seeing piles of corpses outside the auction house and masses of confused pubbes on general chat baffled as to why they died was probably the most memorable thing WoW (accidentally) did

That's actually really cool. I thought WoW was totally toothless as far as death penalties go, though?

• Locked thread