Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I found high level blood magic pretty easy in agrarian skies if you played around with deep tanks. Use an altar with a bunch of sacrifice runes and a well of suffering ritual, combined with a bunch of runes of dislocation pumping into a tesseract. The tesseract goes into the deep tank, which empties into your main altar, which also had a shitload of dislocation runes in it. I got to the point where I made an entire stack of nether stars all at once in like ten seconds because I vented almost my entire giantass deep tank of blood straight into it.

Has it changed recently? I haven't quite hit it in Regrowth yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

GotDonuts posted:

I'm looking to try out Botania but am unsure what modpack to roll with. Anyone have any suggestions?

You could try Botania Skyblock: The Modpack: The Mod: The Modpack.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

I don't recommend that unless you actually know Botania. It isn't an HQM pack so there's very little guidance on how to progress and a lot of resources are gated off behind access to the Nether.

Or rather, I don't recommend the skyblock version. However, Curse Voice makes it trivially easy to disable specific things - and I recommend just disabling the Garden of Glass file and using it to play in a normal world.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like I'll get back on the BFSR wagon soon since I've gone as far as I want to go with Blightfall. I was just posting in there, so anybody following both threads should get some deja vu. I was speculating adding advanced quest chapters to it and bringing in the magic mods. The order would be something like:

1. Update everything and issue a release with cumulative fixes. I feel especially bad for people who have had world corruption.
2. Add a chapter on doing some kind of grotesque AE2 automation. I'm thinking it would at least involve automatic processing of mob grinder drops, but I'm looking for suggestions on a really long crafting tail. It could just be automating making parts for a rocket, but I don't think the rocket itself can be automated.
3. Stir in Thaumcraft with friends. Have a basic quest and then a multidisciplinary quest to automate most essentia collection.
4. Stir in Botania after I understand the mod myself more. Have a "Munchdew Madness" chapter that involves making a munchdew farm using Thaumcraft, AE2, and MFR.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wolpertinger posted:

Witchery isn't always useful but it's interesting. As far as Witchery's most useful stuff, though, cauldron brews can be incredibly complex and powerful and are amazingly customizable, and werewolf/vampire/infusions could be worthwhile goals in a modpack with dangerous monsters. There's also a decent amount of teleportation and biome changing options, as well as flight that's better than thaumcraft's (ugh).

What's wrong with Thaumcraft's flight? It's cheap to make and runs off coal. Sure it's a bit slower than creative flight but it's way cheaper than most mods' flight option.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

What's wrong with Thaumcraft's flight? It's cheap to make and runs off coal. Sure it's a bit slower than creative flight but it's way cheaper than most mods' flight option.

I've never actually used it because I saw that it runs off essentia and requires you to set up refueling towers or something, which sounds like way too much effort. It may not be as bad as I imagined though, I just have grown to really, really hate making essentia for literally anything because of pipe/jar shenanigans (when I don't have Thaumic Energistics) to the point where thaumcraft is becoming somewhat unenjoyable when combined with the hassle of getting centivis, since running around in circles vacuuming up nodes every time you want to craft anything is terrible. I haven't touched TC5 yet but I'm really hoping the aura system is better than the current system.

vibur posted:

The only thing I have ever seen the vampire crap used for is an excuse for the make-it-night stuff in Witchery to be on all the time.

Isn't vampire pretty much borderline unkillable to everything but fire damage?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 17, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Alchemy golems are the only way to go, gently caress pipes. Just point your golem at a huge bank of jars and let it sort itself out. You can use labelled void jars or crystallisers/centrifuges to avoid overflow problems. If you build the jars in a circle around your infusion altar then you just automated 90% of essentia.

The thaumcraft jetpack just requires the power essentia, which you get by chucking coal in an alchemical furnace. It's pretty good because it lets you mine at 100% speed, unlike most jetpacks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
One bit of neat mod interaction is Witchery's Vampire form and Blood Magic. Now I've not played around with either of them extensively so I dont know if its actually frustrating and not a cool bit of interaction or not, but I like the spirit of it!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like I'll get back on the BFSR wagon soon since I've gone as far as I want to go with Blightfall. I was just posting in there, so anybody following both threads should get some deja vu. I was speculating adding advanced quest chapters to it and bringing in the magic mods. The order would be something like:

1. Update everything and issue a release with cumulative fixes. I feel especially bad for people who have had world corruption.
2. Add a chapter on doing some kind of grotesque AE2 automation. I'm thinking it would at least involve automatic processing of mob grinder drops, but I'm looking for suggestions on a really long crafting tail. It could just be automating making parts for a rocket, but I don't think the rocket itself can be automated.
3. Stir in Thaumcraft with friends. Have a basic quest and then a multidisciplinary quest to automate most essentia collection.
4. Stir in Botania after I understand the mod myself more. Have a "Munchdew Madness" chapter that involves making a munchdew farm using Thaumcraft, AE2, and MFR.

A fun AE2/Botania/MFR/Thermal Expansion crossover is automating the Kekimurus. Milk cows with the MFR Rancher, fill buckets with a TE Fluid Transposer, autocraft cakes with AE2 and use the AE2 formation plane on a subnetwork to materialize cake for the flower.

The subnetwork has 1-7 formation planes and an import bus. The import bus points to an ME interface on the main network. The ME interface has a crafting card and is configured to have a number of cakes on it at any time.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Wolpertinger posted:

I've never actually used it because I saw that it runs off essentia and requires you to set up refueling towers or something, which sounds like way too much effort. It may not be as bad as I imagined though, I just have grown to really, really hate making essentia for literally anything because of pipe/jar shenanigans (when I don't have Thaumic Energistics) to the point where thaumcraft is becoming somewhat unenjoyable when combined with the hassle of getting centivis, since running around in circles vacuuming up nodes every time you want to craft anything is terrible. I haven't touched TC5 yet but I'm really hoping the aura system is better than the current system.

The refueling tower (Thaumostatic Spire) you're thinking of is from Automagy and is totally optional. The Thaumostatic Harness just needs the occasional jar of potentia. If you're having that much trouble with essentia, you're doing it wrong. Stop making pipes. For a regular essentia setup, you don't need even one. Make an alchemy golem instead. (Alternate methods - wireless essentia coils from technomancy, and the Thaumic Energistics you already mentioned.) Hell, you could still make the fuel with pipes easily - coal/charcoal only have potentia and ignis, and you can label alembics. Just label one with potentia and have an array of jars there, and label the other with ignis with a void jar. Pipe each one out of opposite sides. Problem solved.

You probably won't want to touch TC5 yet - the essentia system is still present and the pipe system is basically unchanged, but there's no alchemy golems yet. The Aura system seems to work well but I haven't had a chance to test it in proper play yet because 1.8 is being laggy as hell for me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Alchemy golems are the only way to go, gently caress pipes. Just point your golem at a huge bank of jars and let it sort itself out. You can use labelled void jars or crystallisers/centrifuges to avoid overflow problems. If you build the jars in a circle around your infusion altar then you just automated 90% of essentia.

The thaumcraft jetpack just requires the power essentia, which you get by chucking coal in an alchemical furnace. It's pretty good because it lets you mine at 100% speed, unlike most jetpacks.

Honestly I've been doing some reading and pipes seem like they're not awful once you actually know how they work and the tools that are available to you. They just have ridiculously opaque mechanics.

Wolpertinger sent me this reddit post someone wrote about it that includes a ~15 page google doc discussing how pipes work in detail. It's not unpleasant to read, to boot.

A big, important point is how suction actually works, which gums up a lot of people's poo poo

quote:

So now you've resigned yourself to using essentia tubes, because you've used BuildCraft pipes before and know how to route items from A to B. Essentia tubes should work the same and be easy, right? WRONG!

Thaumcraft tubes work on a system of suction, so rather than an item being pulled out of a chest by a redstone engine, and pushed down the line to then pop into the nearest acceptable inventory; warded jars are actively seeking out essentia and pulling that type of essentia to it. Furthermore, Essentia tubes can only carry one type of essentia at a time. Essentia can not flow past each other within the tubes to allow different suctions to work, whatever order they enter is the order they will stay in til they exit the tube. Still not wrapping your mind around it? Not sure how this system will affect any of your builds? Let's build a simple system and see what happens when we send some essentia through.

Setting up a furnace with two alembics o'top, we can run tubes down and out to the side, and set up two jars beneath to gather the essentia. Chucking some coal in both top and bottom slots, you get a little bit of potentia or ignis in the first jar, and then gas leaks spring up all over the place, and the entire system grinds to a halt. So what happened there? This is what happens when you have competing types of suctions in your tubes; essentia stops flowing, and your entire system gets gummed up.
To look in more detail, craft yourself an ESSENTIA RESONATOR. This tool will let you see what's happening within the tubes. Let's start with the source of motion within this system: the warded jars. If you hit the empty warded jar, you'll see that jar has a suction of 32 Untyped. Now hit the jar with essentia in it. You'll find that this jar has a suction of 32 Ignis. Now, hit the tubes leading up to the alembics, and you'll notice that it has a suction of ignis decreasing by one with each tube away from the jar. This is why the potentia is not leaving the alembic; there is no suction pulling on potentia.

The most obvious fix to this is to run separate line for each essentia type. This set up works well for a simple startup essentia system, but once you go past three or four essentia jars, this system will get out of hand. There are 48 different types of essentia, and if you stacked five alembics on top of a furnace, which is the max, you can fit a maximum of 21 jars around, which would require constantly changing out jars, and hoping the essentia you want lands in the right alembic. The system is a nightmare and I wouldn’t recommend building one at all.

To fix this, you use buffers, and you use them intelligently because you can screw with their sides to change how much suction that side provides. You can set sides of a buffer to apply 0 or 1 suction, which means you can set the output side of each buffer to apply 0 suction and the input to apply 1 suction (so each buffer in a chain will apply 1 suction to the previous buffer, and the previous buffer won't apply suction to the next one, so essentia always flows forward until there's a jar that can take that essentia). That's the really short version and the actual google doc has a ton of visual documentation of what's going on and examples of how you do basically everything, including pretty much step by step construction guides.

It's one of the better minecraft guides I've ever seen, and I'm actually looking forward to using pipes now (because they look and the creaking "metal under pressure" noises they make gives them a great mad science feeling) and understand where Azanor made them and said "yes this is a good and functional system and not a broken, frustrating pile of rear end."

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 17, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wolpertinger posted:

While I don't blame you, all you need to recharge a Thaumostatic Harness is: 1 alchemical furnace, 1 alembic, a single pipe each for the potentia and ignis goo, some jars, and a pile of coal. Now making one's a bit harder but if you're just being lazy/using a low tech solution you can still get 4 pipes/jars out of a single alembic for the essentia you need.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I hated the base crucibles more than alchemical furnaces. If I'm wearing the goggles, I can generally coddle an alchemical furnace, and that's good enough while I get the few little bits I need to set up basic automation. However, the crucible is irreconcilable. I'd throw in some stuff that'd give me the aspects I'd need, and they'd go up in smoke or something. When I went to throw in the catalyst, it would get gobbled up instead, and a bunch of flux would get vomited everywhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I hated the base crucibles more than alchemical furnaces. If I'm wearing the goggles, I can generally coddle an alchemical furnace, and that's good enough while I get the few little bits I need to set up basic automation. However, the crucible is irreconcilable. I'd throw in some stuff that'd give me the aspects I'd need, and they'd go up in smoke or something. When I went to throw in the catalyst, it would get gobbled up instead, and a bunch of flux would get vomited everywhere.

The trick with the crucible is you need to have everything accounted for ahead of time, then throw things in very quickly. You can press Q while hovering over an item in your inventory to drop one of that item, or Shift-Q to drop all of that item in your inventory.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How long are you taking to throw in the catalyst? If you leave essentia alone too long in the crucible it will slowly start to dissolve into the air as flux. It's why I find it better to make alchemy items in small batches.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You just admitted you had to read a 15 page doc to understand a small feature of a video game mod, as an explanation for how it's actually not terrible.

That's the most thaumcraft.txt thing I've ever heard.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dijon du jour posted:

How long are you taking to throw in the catalyst? If you leave essentia alone too long in the crucible it will slowly start to dissolve into the air as flux. It's why I find it better to make alchemy items in small batches.
The big problem is the incredibly fast and random timer on decay. I've had my components lined up and throw them all in within the space of 1-2 seconds and by the time I'm done it will already have decayed. Alchemical contsructs are like the first thing I build, using the crucible before then even for minor tasks is such a loving hassle comparatively.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the tradeoff those is then you must supply essentia directly.
Which is okay if only at most three types are involved. But what of things like balanced shards that need so many types. What then. If you use pipes they'll get clogged, and I don't think you can use alchemy golems.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You can totally hook up 5 jars to one construct, no problem. Just have to move the pipes out a little. They don't have to connect or anything. And then soon you can hook them up to an AE essentia provider and forget about it forever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Balanced shards need at most five. You can arrange a set of pipes around your construct such that you can put in at least six (probably seven max if you can use the top too) jars without having any clogging occurring. You just have to detach piping from each other using your wand with a right-click on connections. If you want to make it pretty you can string piping further away.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Another way to do essentia systems is to stack 48 buffers on end, set the right side to output only and put a jar of each type under each buffer. This then throws any essentia along the line of buffers until it hits the buffer with the correct jar under it, which has more suction and it goes down there. This is incredibly obtuse and annoying however but you can essentially run every type of essentia out of a single alembic.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

The big problem is the incredibly fast and random timer on decay. I've had my components lined up and throw them all in within the space of 1-2 seconds and by the time I'm done it will already have decayed. Alchemical contsructs are like the first thing I build, using the crucible before then even for minor tasks is such a loving hassle comparatively.

Yes! This right here! I just :barf: the stuff in from my hotbar, and the stuff already has degenerated.

I have to coddle the first balanced shards but I make a bumrush for the essentia provider. It looks like if we understand properly how all the drat buffers work, that would not be necessary. I did not know anything about setting the output values from the internal Thaumcraft documentation. This would take a lot of the nasty out of it.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

A fun AE2/Botania/MFR/Thermal Expansion crossover is automating the Kekimurus. Milk cows with the MFR Rancher, fill buckets with a TE Fluid Transposer, autocraft cakes with AE2 and use the AE2 formation plane on a subnetwork to materialize cake for the flower.

The subnetwork has 1-7 formation planes and an import bus. The import bus points to an ME interface on the main network. The ME interface has a crafting card and is configured to have a number of cakes on it at any time.

You are overthinking this. The rancher will automatically fill buckets that are in it's inventory with milk, or you can use MFR's liquicrafter to make the cakes, which only needs the milk piped directly to it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So, Obscurity. Was mentioning it in the other thread, and it's pretty nice. So here's an effortpost.

You're in the underdark and need to tech/magic your way out into the real world. Standard HQM quests to tech/magic you up from empty-handed to god-king.

Oregen is massively increased, no multi-hours of mining or sifting.
Mobs are seriously dangerous - not a lot of exploration and a lot of "Dig a hole and sit in it" but you do get an early free weapon.
Automation centers around progressive automation, thermal expansion, and ender i/o.
AE2, JABBA, and improved chests for storage.
Tinker's Construct for items and early game smeltery.
Extra utlities for the hang glider, trash can, elevator, generators.
Big reactors for ender io power hungry machines.
Magic provided by thaumcraft, thaumic energistcs, and a few other thaumcraft addons. Osmotic enchantment and eldrich tab currently not possible due to lack of obleisks. Moderate level thaumcraft stuff is possible, there are quests for golems and vis storage. You can cheat in obsidian totems guilt-free, as it's intended to be included in the pack, see this todo https://github.com/SnowShock35/Obscurity/issues/102
Main questing gimmick includes compact machines, 3x3x3-13x13x13 sized rooms contained within a single block with fluid/item/power input/output on all sides. Useful for compact farms / hiding inside your base

Seems like something you'd enjoy? Try it out! Set /keepInventory true. Seriously, it's just not worth it and it's way easy to die in this game to bullshit, especially before you get established. If you give yourself a few extra lives as well, I won't tell.

I'm about 20 hours in and I'd say more than half done, but I've still got a ways to go! Here are some tips, roughly in order, if you're done with blightfall / regrowth and looking to try something roughly similar.
  • Turn your gamma up. You're going to be in the dark a bunch of the time. The darkness is similar to an invisible air meter and you will "drown" in darkness eventually, maybe after 30 seconds or so. It takes some time to "recover" in light; it's not instantaneous. Some sources provide light but not darkness protection (like lava tanks). Lava on the ground, torches, jack o' lanters and some ores like redstone provide protection.
  • Anything that gives off light (torches, jack o' lanterns) have a better than even chance of breaking down into sticks or regular pumpkins when broken. Plan carefully; once you place something, assume it's going to be there forever!
  • Building your base over the first pit must be carefully done - Either build it to one side or create a floor over the ENTIRE THING otherwise you risk plummeting to your death or getting hit with death fireballs from the lava monster. I built my base a bit above the pit like a skyblock so I wouldn't have to worry about mobs, then my "basements" are in the pit, once I got to that point. It's just as easy (though more time consuming) to tunnel directly into the ground nearby. Use elevators when you get a few ender pearls!
  • Kill that lava monster by dumping water down the pit after you make the water barrel. You can easily find more lava if you dig sideways a dozen blocks above the bedrock (it's shown on the minimap). There's a midgame quest to deliver ~5000mb lava and they give you a 256k lava drum as a quest reward from it.
  • Don't break that cursed earth around the market! You're given a silky gem in the tcon quest line which you can use on a shovel to relocate it for a mob farm.
  • In the market, take a close look at the signs behind the villager. Those aren't just decoration. Everything in the cube is yours, so pretend you're in skyrim.
  • Make sure to use a diamond on a quest reward cube (compact machine) if you want to move it with things still inside, otherwise everything will be ejected like when you break a chest. Don't waste that first diamond! All the cubes you discover in the world are already "upgraded" (shown on your gameboy when looking at it, also has a white order) with a diamond and can be moved safely. Just re-use the desert or ice one.
  • You can build everything in cubes early game, but be aware that since all cubes are in a shared (always chunkloaded) dimension, until you get a chunk loader you can't transfer things to the "real world" between cubes because the outside isn't loaded. As you progress through the game you'll get several huge, giant, and maximum size cubes that are generally better for building in than the tiny, small, and average ones.
  • Many people build their base using nothing but cubes! Mechanically, all cubes are in a single shared dimension so there is no loading screen when going from cube to cube and you can stack them inside each other. This is not a bad way to go - you can periodically go out to the real world and move it around when you get a chunk loader, like relocating up to the village and cursed earth.
  • Be careful breaking/moving cubes! Interdiction torches can launch the item / bug out and you can put the game into an unwinnable state. Build a fort of cobble before breaking things in the real world if you're paranoid.
  • Be careful using farmers with vacuum hoppers in cubes. If you use them, DO NOT let the farmer get full. If it ejects items out into the real world, it ejects two instead of one. Then the hopper picks it up, puts it back into the farmer, and then it ejects four. And then eight. and pretty soon your game crashes.
  • Cubes are always fully lit, thus crops/trees will grow but mobs will NOT spawn. The tops of cubes can be broken by trees, and this is unfixable so be careful with large trees that grow upwards.
  • Oregen is massively increased but Gold is still fairly rare in this pack. Use aluminum brass for tcon and don't make any electrum you aren't going to immediately use.
  • Once you get bronze, definitely make a set of bronze tcon tools, you'll want them anyway to stick inside your progressive automation machines (and you want to level them up before you stick them in).
  • There's moss all over the ground near the starting hole. Enough for 5 or 6 moss balls. So level up your weapon once and throw one on! A slime handle is useful as you tend to need several slime balls. and they can be hard to come across.
  • Melt down those Manyluin arrowheads you get from the tcon quest and make a and crossbow bolts out of them! Be aware that unlike blightfall, signalum is not accepted as a tcon material. Your best bet is slime crossbow with thaumium or some other hard metal, don't waste your manyluin; you don't get any more for a long time.
  • Don't necessarily create all that armor if you aren't going to use it. Check the quest rewards, if it's just a bag, the ore can probably be better used elsewhere.
  • Hit redstone ore with a pick to have it light up for a while. Silver, lava tanks and a few other metals give off natural amounts of light but only luminite, redstone and raw lava provide darkness protection.
  • Progressive automation is an amazing timesaver. Create a miner, planter, and chopper and them early, use them often. Create a killer for your mob farm with the cursed earth. Create these even before you officially unlock the quests; stone ones with a few upgrades are adequate for all uses, and you can upgrade them to iron as-needed. (but the iron upgrades are expensive in terms of iron so be careful). Stone allows stone+flint tools, Iron allows Iron+Bronze, and everything else requires diamond tools (out of reach for a long, long time)
  • Many of the quest pages are gated behind parts of the first quest page. I recommend pushing for: progressive automation (behind the find a bunch of ores, and then a bunch of gems) then the forging line (for tcon tools) and then basic power (behind the wrench and cobble gen) before moving onto thermal expansion pulverizer to make the most from redstone ore. AE2 is gated from the exploration quests in the line that goes towards the upper-left corner.
  • Don't ignore the exploration quests! Do all of those if you're low on minerals! They all have great quest rewards (via a hidden chest) and the cubes themselves can be re-purposed for your base! There are a dozen ender seeds in The End, and it's completely doable to get there with a few torches and a hang glider if you want to make nerd poles, or when you get the jetpack.
  • There are very limited inventory organizational options early in this pack. Improved chests are your best bet, but they can be pricy as hell. I recommend going Tin->Silver->platinum because you'll have ample amounts of them in the midgame. Best to explore down the left tree, unlock AE2 and go from there. You can power a basic AE setup with a few generators just fine.
  • There don't appear to be any strange quest gates that unlock other lines; all quest lines are gated to the first "Entering the Darkness" one and the lines from there are obvious. Do the exploration quests to get materials!
  • Even though you make thermal expansion equipment, It's best to go Ender IO for your pulverizing/furnace needs. It's the very next quest and the quest rewards give several stacks of the consumables during the quests. It gives more materials in every instance EXCEPT for diamonds - put diamond ore in the TE pulverizer.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 30, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Bhodi posted:

Make sure to use a diamond on a cube (compact machine) if you want to move it with things still inside, otherwise everything will be ejected like when you break a chest. Don't waste that first diamond! The cubes you discover in the world are already "upgraded" (shown on your gameboy when looking at it) with a diamond and can be moved safely. Just re-use the desert or ice one.

Not all of them, unless they fixed it in a newer version than the one I played. Check before breaking!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Progressive automation is an amazing timesaver. Create a miner, planter, and chopper and them early, use them often. Create a killer for your mob farm with the cursed earth. Create these even before you officially unlock the quests; stone ones with a few upgrades are adequate for all uses, and you can upgrade them to iron as-needed. (but the iron upgrades are expensive in terms of iron so be careful). Stone allows stone+flint tools, Iron allows Iron+Bronze, and everything else requires diamond (out of reach for a long, long time)

My experience with this mod has always been that it really sucks, and the machines are all really slow and buggy and finicky and that I'm just better off doing the tasks manually. Am I missing something?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Taffer posted:

My experience with this mod has always been that it really sucks, and the machines are all really slow and buggy and finicky and that I'm just better off doing the tasks manually. Am I missing something?

What, you don't like random fires breaking out whenever you run a generator? :v:

I do like using initial stages of the mod as set-it-and-forget-it sources for resources when I'm busy doing other stuff. Once you can upgrade to other automation, though, don't look back.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

I've never had any issues. I'm specifically talking about the miner, chopper, planter, killer. They all work exactly like minefactory reloaded ones, except they can be coal powered and built with just stone and a furnace, and require tools which they degrade. The only downside is they suck until you upgrade them, and instead of increasing the radius the upgrades increase in terms of single blocks, so you need 8 upgrades to get a 3x3 square. Each upgrade takes a 8 stone and a redstone.

The miner's a lifesaver, honestly. Once you have a bit of redstone and gold, you can slap a RF transmitter in there and it runs on RF. And in the beginning, an automatic "farm" with one or two saplings is all you need, and you can build it once you have a few coal to make a furnace and smelt some cobble.

There are probably generators that catch on fire or something but in this mod you just use survival generators then culinary then lava from extra utilities. The biggest advantage is that it lets you leapfrog all that mining / harvesting / planting bullshit and get a good stack of ore / food / charcoal so you can start your automation journey...

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 18, 2015

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
One tip for Obscurity: Make Invar tool rods, then melt down Lumite in the smeltery. Put the tool rods in a casting table, and dunk 1000 MB (4 dust) onto it. You get 2 Invar Torches which don't suffer the break chance that other light sources do. You can get more torches for your buck with Liquefacted Coal, Energized Glowstone, or Blazing Pyrotheum. You can also do it with a Fluid Transposer/Magma Crucible.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

You just admitted you had to read a 15 page doc to understand a small feature of a video game mod, as an explanation for how it's actually not terrible.

That's the most thaumcraft.txt thing I've ever heard.

Says the guy who likes AE2 channels :v:

All you really need to know about essentia pipes is how to daisy chain essentia buffers, which takes about 200 words to explain and solves 90% of the problems people have with the mechanic. I read the rest of it because it was interesting

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 18, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Are there any good guides to ender i/o? I'm trying to go through the wiki but there's no "concepts" page, just the standard list of blocks. Obscurity doesn't really have any quest page for it but AE2 is gated behind it and I need to push through for inventory management. I have, I think, a total of two ender pearls and it seems like every drat machine needs an alloy that's made using them!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You want to make an Alloy Smelter asap so you can start alloying metals for the more 'advanced' machines/upgrades. Initially it's going to be slow until you can plug in the 2x and eventually the 4x capacitors into their slot, which is a rather hefty investment when you're saying you only have two ender pearls. The big alloy that uses 'em is the one for the EnderIO's version of the itemducts but thankfully you can make a shitload out of a single alloy of iron + pearl because it's 3 nuggets + that binding stuff for 8 conduits for a total of 24, IIRC. The only other alloy without delving into the crystals are the upgrade from energetic to vibrant/phased alloy, which is basically the top tier metal in EnderIO and mostly present for the capacitors and third tier of energy conduit.

Farming machine is actually more of a final step than a mid-tier due to the materials involved in making them and they're rather lossy in their use of power (2RF/t just running normally without doing anything!). Ditto with the Powered Spawner. All the other machines are pretty well grounded in basic alloys or base Minecraft materials.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm trying to make the powered spawner so I can get more ender pearls. I made a soul jar and captured an enderman in it, and already dumped that into the machine that sets the spawn type on a broken spawner, but now I need to make a powered spawner to stick that thing into? That requires a different type of materials, two of those crystals. This is way more work than a MFR mob spawner, and takes three or four times as many materials including gold which is really rare in the pack and used for everything for some reason.

I also cheated in enderman heads to even build them, because how are you supposed to find and kill enough of them to get a head drop? I've only killed two the entire time, and it's very very hard due to not being able to use ranged and getting mobbed my other monsters while you're trying to fight them. I guess I could make an interdiction torch but eh... I'm becoming less enthused with ender i/o and just kind of want that part done so I can get AE2. Though I also need to make a jetpack.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Because ~balance~. Once it's set up all you need to do is to pump power into it and it'll work forever. No mob essence/experience levels, no needing to be nearby for it to continue working, etc. I don't think you were meant to reach that point in Obscurity yet.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
On any pack that has ender io, I usually Alloy smelter, Sagmill, Work up to pipes and conduits, then Wireless Charger
Then its ender markers and ender quarry

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, it was weird in that thermal expansion seems completely redundant. It's the first thing you build, and they want you to make 6 machines at a time materials are relatively scarce, and the very next quest is "great, now build the sag mill and alloy smelter" which take even more materials and serve the exact same function.

Then quest reward for the ender gives you osmotic upgrades, so they're now better, but they still want you to build upgrades for both. Pick a side, stop making me build machines of two mods that do the same thing! :(

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
With all the Obscurity chat/advice going on I gave it another try and have since learned to go 'gently caress it' on almost all modpacks with keepInventory = true because all gravestone mods are prone to making you lose all your items for arbitrary bullshit reasons, and between that and digging under the starting tower instead of trying to live on/near the pit, I've had a much better time starting. Another big thing that made it a lot more enjoyable is now my base is in a series of compact machines within compact machines - my problems with compact machine loading times vanished when you have one main 'hub' machine where you place all the 'rooms' of your base - since all the compact machines are in the same dimension you don't get laggy loading screens swapping between rooms.

Since almost nothing is outside the compact machines and I am fairly regularly given more cubes (I got a decently big one from a bag early and then moved into the massive ice/snow one when I found it), base building is perfectly safe unlike the grueling slaughter that was trying to build anywhere in, on, or near that pit. Then, I just tunneled underground to the pit anyway to get access to those nice minerals (still died once or twice from falling into the void, but with keep inventory on it's no longer a 'game over wipe your world' moment - lives are enough). For some reason, I've yet to have a single monster spawn in any of my underground tunnels, and I never use slabs outside of the room my first compact cube is in (which also stole the ethereal glass door from the starting tower, since ethereal glass is solid to enemies and completely nonexistent for players). This is actually pretty enjoyable now

bbcisdabomb posted:

I found high level blood magic pretty easy in agrarian skies if you played around with deep tanks. Use an altar with a bunch of sacrifice runes and a well of suffering ritual, combined with a bunch of runes of dislocation pumping into a tesseract. The tesseract goes into the deep tank, which empties into your main altar, which also had a shitload of dislocation runes in it. I got to the point where I made an entire stack of nether stars all at once in like ten seconds because I vented almost my entire giantass deep tank of blood straight into it.

Has it changed recently? I haven't quite hit it in Regrowth yet.

There's actually a pretty interesting blood magic-central mod called Hypovolemia currently in early alpha that I tried that this reminds me of - it's not worth playing YET because there's some big updates soon that will require map resets and several incomplete quest pages currently, but I played it enough to actually have a decent amount of fun with it - The worldgen is very Regrowth, but the gimmick is instead of any water there's life essence, (and bone trees that give bones/skulls instead of wood) so yes there's literally oceans of life essence.

Then the author gives you Technomancy to turn life essence into RF, and Mekanism to let you start pumping all this blood around, storing it in tanks (dislocation runes being super important here too), and shows you how to use mekanism to automate item crafting on altars (smartly, too - I can queue up a long series of several stacks of different items and it will process them in order, and then have a machine automatically take take them out at whatever stage I need so there's zero babysitting involved) and then giving you a massive amount of new blood magic altar recipes that let you create almost everything from scratch in an Ex-Nihilo manner (though there is Magical Crops too, but it's much less generous with giving out seeds than Regrowth - you usually have to figure out how to get a decent amount of the material in question before you can get the seeds to trivialize it). It's a bit grindy getting up to the point where you can use mekanism pipes to pump blood, like starter-level blood magic always is, but after that it seems like it'll be pretty fun, I'm mostly just waiting for it to hit proper beta.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 19, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wolpertinger posted:

Another big thing that made it a lot more enjoyable is now my base is in a series of compact machines within compact machines - my problems with compact machine loading times vanished when you have one main 'hub' machine where you place all the 'rooms' of your base - since all the compact machines are in the same dimension you don't get laggy loading screens swapping between rooms.
This was a neat idea that I considered doing, but the main problem for me was that mobs will not spawn inside cubes, period. So there's no way to make a mob spawner without a chunkloader, and both mob spawners and the miner being loaded while you're tooling around in the base is really necessary. Otherwise, I'd have definitely gone that route! In fact, it'd be a neat idea, a map where you can ONLY go that route. A sort of inception style map pack with no overmap at all, where you spend 99% of your time inside cubes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of which, I really wish Regrowth had the Last Millenium dimension mod. My overworld is laggy as hell ever since I set up a max-size forestry autofarm, a 2x2x2 HP steam boiler, and the 10 coke ovens necessary to fuel it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Speaking of which, I really wish Regrowth had the Last Millenium dimension mod. My overworld is laggy as hell ever since I set up a max-size forestry autofarm, a 2x2x2 HP steam boiler, and the 10 coke ovens necessary to fuel it :v:

This is why even when I'm playing SP, I set up a server separately and connect as a client, so the processes can use different cores and different memory without killing each other. It makes it run soooo much better.