Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lemming posted:

That situation seems incredibly hosed up. How could you even theoretically cooperate? A guy shows up at your house at 3:30 am, claims to be a cop but says he's looking for someone that doesn't live there, you tell him to come back with a warrant, then he kicks the door in and starts attacking you. Fighting back doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Civilians just need to listen any time someone says they're a cop and do everything they say. Doesn't matter if they're breaking down doors at 3:30 AM looking for someone who doesn't live there and attacking people inside, just accept that they're definitely a legit police officer acting with authority and file a complaint later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

quote:

According to authorities, “a confrontation with an individual resulted in a shooting.” 

There's that passive language we've grown to love. A shooting just magically happened, it was no one's fault really.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

That situation seems incredibly hosed up. How could you even theoretically cooperate? A guy shows up at your house at 3:30 am, claims to be a cop but says he's looking for someone that doesn't live there, you tell him to come back with a warrant, then he kicks the door in and starts attacking you. Fighting back doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

If the report is accurate then it sounds like he was justified in using self-defense against the illegal home invasion, not sure it was the smartest move, but I probably would have done the same thing.

I am confused as to exactly how the fight went down though because the witnesses they're quoting aren't very clear. like for example it makes it sound like the officer rolled off him and shot him on the ground but the bullet holes are in the wall.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
when i hear "officer involved shooting" i always imagine a shadowy third party picking up the officer and aiming him at the victim and making pew pew noises

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Can someone find an instance of a civilian shooting a cop or another civilian where the "authorities" use passive language like that? I'm curious how long it'd take to find one

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'd love a representative for the police, a prosecutor, or even a SCOTUS justice having to answer what a person should do if someone claiming to be cop requests entry to his or her home and when unable to show a warrant destroys the door then enters violently. It's pretty much a gamble at this point that is 100% on the person that probably has no training in the legal system and is forced to make a split second decision if they should defend themselves with force to avoid being killed by the intruder, or if doing so will get them sent to jail or killed on the spot.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 17, 2015

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Radish posted:

I'd love a representative for the police, a prosecutor, or even a SCOTUS justice having to answer what a person should do if someone claiming to be cop requests entry to his or her home and when unable to show a warrant destroys the door then enters violently. It's pretty much a gamble at this point that is 100% on the person that probably has no training in the legal system and is forced to make a split second decision if they should defend themselves with force to avoid being killed by the intruder, or if doing so will get them sent to jail or killed on the spot.

Honestly I'm pretty shocked the cops didn't throw him under the bus immediately. They've gotten a but more sensitive to the social climate and the REALLY egregious ones like this without any possible excuse seem to not be defended anymore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

There are tons of legal reasons cops can blow your door down without a warrant. So, yes if a cop busts your door down in the middle of the night after refusing to show a warrant, they're going to say the only legal recourse you have is in the courts.

You have to comply with any officer demands no matter how unreasonable or absurd, so long as the order is not forcing you to break the law, you must obey in their eyes because you can't know if the order was actually unlawful because you don't know the officer's state of mind and they don't have to tell you.

quote:

The first problem is knowing what counts as an “order.” If an officer approaches you and asks you to do something, that’s normally just a request and not an order. But if there’s a law on the books saying that you have to comply with the officer’s request, then the request is treated as an order. You can’t know what is an “order” unless you study the law first, which you’re unlikely to have done before the officer approached you.

The even bigger problem is knowing when an order is “lawful.” An order is lawful if forcing compliance would not violate any law. But a citizen is in no position to assess that. Even if the police pulled over the world’s greatest legal expert, the citizen still couldn’t know what orders are lawful because the laws often hinge on facts the citizen can’t know.

Here’s an example. Imagine an officer walks up to you and tells you to put your hands behind your back so he can handcuff you. To do that lawfully, the officer needs at least reasonable suspicion that you are engaged in a crime and pose a threat to him and maybe probable cause that you have committed a crime. But you can’t know how much cause the officer has. Maybe the officer has no cause and is flagrantly violating your constitutional rights. Or maybe ten nuns have just sworn under oath that you robbed a bank in broad daylight that morning. You’re innocent, as it was a case of mistaken identity. But the officer doesn’t know that. And as the citizen, you can’t tell which is which.
Got it? If an officer walks up to you and gives you an order, you’re “presumed” to immediately know every area of state and federal law. And on top of that, you’re presumed to know all the facts known to the officer that the officer won’t tell you.

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/07/23/sandra-bland-and-the-lawful-order-problem/)

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Honestly I'm pretty shocked the cops didn't throw him under the bus immediately. They've gotten a but more sensitive to the social climate and the REALLY egregious ones like this without any possible excuse seem to not be defended anymore.

The victim gained control of a police weapon, this seems like as easy to gloss over as a "good shoot" as any. This ticks the "no angel" checkbox pretty hard.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 17, 2015

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Trabisnikof posted:

There are tons of legal reasons cops can blow your door down without a warrant. So, yes if a cop busts your door down in the middle of the night after refusing to show a warrant, they're going to say the only legal recourse you have is in the courts.

You have to comply with any officer demands no matter how unreasonable or absurd, so long as the order is not forcing you to break the law, you must obey.

I'm curious, what reasons? Specifically when the officer stated he was looking for someone who didn't live there, and was told to come back with a warrant.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The point is you have no idea if it is really a police officer or not.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

I'm curious, what reasons? Specifically when the officer stated he was looking for someone who didn't live there, and was told to come back with a warrant.

He thought he heard the sounds of evidence being destroyed, saw what he believed was contraband when they opened the door the first time, was concerned for the mental welfare of the person inside, etc.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smelled weed.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mr. Wookums posted:

Smelled weed.

I don't know if that's enough for a house. For a car, it's because of the whole DUI thing, less reason for a personal residence.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
None of this matters because the officer lost control of his taser after deploying it. Everything before that moment is not relevant. Good shoot.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jarmak posted:

If the report is accurate then it sounds like he was justified in using self-defense against the illegal home invasion, not sure it was the smartest move, but I probably would have done the same thing. 

I am confused as to exactly how the fight went down though because the witnesses they're quoting aren't very clear. like for example it makes it sound like the officer rolled off him and shot him on the ground but the bullet holes are in the wall.
Assuming the reporting is accurate, North Carolina criminal statutes forbids use of force in self defense against an announced peace officer executing their lawful duties under § 14-51.2(c)(4), which is a pretty high bar to clear. The homeowner would probably have to show that they knew there was no way that the officer's entry could be lawful.

The officer is pretty hosed though. Not having your home invaded without a warrant is a clearly established right, so unless the deputy had some exigent circumstances that aren't mentioned in the article, he isn't entitled to QI, and self defense isn't available in situations where the defendant is the aggressor or engaged in illegal activity per § 14-51.4.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They'll just toss a spaghetti bowl of circumstances after the fact and the DA will have his pick of excuses to let another murderer off.

Wheel keeps on turnin'

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
An update on that story.

http://wncn.com/2015/11/16/deputys-name-released-in-fatal-harnett-co-officer-involved-shooting/

quote:

SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WNCN) – The Harnett County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of the deputy involved in Sunday morning’s fatal officer-involved shooting in Spring Lake.

Harnett County Sheriff’s Deputy Nicholas Kehagias was involved in the shooting incident, according to Maj. Jeff Huber. Kehagias has been employed as a deputy sheriff since July 2013 and is currently assigned to the patrol division.

Meanwhile on Monday, an SBI agent says they are interviewing witnesses and the deputies involved in the shooting death of John David Livingston, age 33.

The agent says an autopsy is also scheduled for Monday.

The incident occurred just before 3:40 a.m. at a residence near the intersection of Stage Road and W. Everett Drive when deputies arrived on scene to conduct an assault investigation, the Harnett County Sheriff’s Office said.

According to authorities, “a confrontation with an individual resulted in a shooting.” The person involved in the confrontation was pronounced dead at the scene, while the deputy received minor injuries.

Clayton Carroll told WNCN that his roommate, John Livingston was shot several times by a Harnett County Sheriff deputy during the incident.

Carroll says sheriff’s deputies knocked on their door around 3:30 a.m.

Carroll said they were looking for someone that no longer lived there. When deputies asked Livingston if they could search the trailer, Livingston said “not without a search warrant,” according to Carroll.

Livingston then closed the door.

“The cop kicked in the door, got on top of him, started slinging him around beat him…” Carroll said.

Carroll said sheriff’s deputies then started spraying mace on Livingston and using the Taser, according to the roommate.

Witnesses said Livingston was not fighting back and was trying to get the Taser out of the deputy’s hands.

The incident eventually continued outside.

“He (Livingston) barely had the Taser in his hand but he had it where it was constantly going off and the officer I guess that spoke to him rolled over there, says he got the Taser and shot him in this position,” Carroll said while on the deck outside the home demonstrating what happened.

WNCN saw six bullet holes in the side of the home from the shooting.

Carroll said Livingston was shot six times, while another witness in the home, Bristol Edge, said Livingston was shot at least four times.

Livingston died a short time later. Carroll said Livingston did not have a weapon.

Livingston’s friends call him a very kind man and an incredible carpenter, they say he built the front porch deck a month ago for everyone to have a good time on.

The father of three is described as a hard worker and very loving.

“That’s the blanket I kept putting on him and telling him to breathe until he was gone because I knew he wasn’t breathing anymore,” said Bristol Edge, a friend, pointing to a blanket still on the blood-stained front porch on Sunday afternoon.

As per standard procedure, the deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave and the NC State Bureau of Investigation is investigating the shooting.

The SBI’s final report is pending autopsy, ballistic and lab results. Hartnett County’s District Attorney will then decide whether to pursue charges against the deputies.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

Does she explain why the police are no longer stopping burglaries?
I don't know. She can simultaneously talk about how police are wonderful, heroic people and the only state employees who deserve their pensions, and then decry them for not doing their jobs and letting her neighbourhood (full of small homes valued at over $1M because Silicon Valley real estate is insane) get overrun with criminals. I generally just change the subject and ask how her garden is doing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

g0del posted:

I don't know. She can simultaneously talk about how police are wonderful, heroic people and the only state employees who deserve their pensions, and then decry them for not doing their jobs and letting her neighbourhood (full of small homes valued at over $1M because Silicon Valley real estate is insane) get overrun with criminals. I generally just change the subject and ask how her garden is doing.

Oh okay, I figured this had to have something to with that they're afraid of doing their jobs because of BLM

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Jarmak posted:

From what I can tell, at least one eyewitness says he wasn't fighting back.

WNCN posted:

Carroll says sheriff’s deputies knocked on their door around 3:30 a.m.

Carroll said they were looking for someone that no longer lived there. When deputies asked Livingston if they could search the trailer, Livingston said “not without a search warrant,” according to Carroll.

Livingston then closed the door.

“The cop kicked in the door, got on top of him, started slinging him around beat him…” Carroll said.

Carroll said sheriff’s deputies then started spraying mace on Livingston and using the Taser, according to the roommate.

Witnesses said Livingston was not fighting back and was trying to get the Taser out of the deputy’s hands.

The incident eventually continued outside.

“He (Livingston) barely had the Taser in his hand but he had it where it was constantly going off and the officer I guess that spoke to him rolled over there, says he got the Taser and shot him in this position,” Carroll said while on the deck outside the home demonstrating what happened. (Photo shows man lying face-down on the deck with his hands behind him, http://interactives.wncn.com/photom...n-the-shooting/)

WNCN saw six bullet holes in the side of the home from the shooting.

LATEST UPDATE: Deputy’s name released in fatal Harnett Co. officer-involved shooting

Carroll said Livingston was shot six times, while another witness in the home, Bristol Edge, said Livingston was shot at least four times.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spun Dog posted:

From what I can tell, at least one eyewitness says he wasn't fighting back.

But that same witness said he had the officer's taser in his hand?

"Livingston was not fighting back and was trying to get the Taser out of the deputy’s hands"

That sounds like fighting back to me...

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Trabisnikof posted:

But that same witness said he had the officer's taser in his hand?

"Livingston was not fighting back and was trying to get the Taser out of the deputy’s hands"

That sounds like fighting back to me...

Check out the picture of the guy lying face-down in this gallery. http://interactives.wncn.com/photom...stons-roommate/

Apparently, he is demonstrating with his right hand what was happening at the time. Could just be a case of "Ow, get off me!", but you're right there is no clear indicator either way.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

They'll just toss a spaghetti bowl of circumstances after the fact and the DA will have his pick of excuses to let another murderer off.

Wheel keeps on turnin'
I don't know, I think trying to claim that you discovered exigent circumstances as soon as the homeowner invoked his 4th amendment rights is a tough sell. I'm sure the officer will either raise an exigent circumstances defense or try to claim he was somehow assaulted by the closing door, since otherwise it's basically murder, but I don't think it would be something the courts would be quick to accept. Personally, I'm far less comfortable with exigent circumstances than I am with qualified immunity.

Radish posted:

I'd say that killing someone who has identified themselves as a police officer, without having reason to believe they are lying, is a really tough case. I think the defendant would have to either show that they had a reasonable belief that the person they killed was lying, or that they knew that the officer knew (or should have known) they were acting unlawfully.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 17, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In what universe is an officer breaking down a door when refused entry without a warrant not unlawful?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

In what universe is an officer breaking down a door when refused entry without a warrant not unlawful?

Exigent circumstances may allow entry without a warrant. There's nothing in the articles suggesting any were present, though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Of course, the elephant in the room is that if dealing with the police requires a grasp of law citizens cannot reasonably be expected to have, it is extremely difficult to justify police behavior as just, as it carries the basic taint that they may, basically, engage in exploitation of fellow citizens perfectly legally.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Assuming the reporting is accurate, North Carolina criminal statutes forbids use of force in self defense against an announced peace officer executing their lawful duties under § 14-51.2(c)(4), which is a pretty high bar to clear. The homeowner would probably have to show that they knew there was no way that the officer's entry could be lawful.

The officer is pretty hosed though. Not having your home invaded without a warrant is a clearly established right, so unless the deputy had some exigent circumstances that aren't mentioned in the article, he isn't entitled to QI, and self defense isn't available in situations where the defendant is the aggressor or engaged in illegal activity per § 14-51.4.

No, he just has to show officer's entry was not lawful, which it doesn't sound like it was.

Trabisnikof posted:

He thought he heard the sounds of evidence being destroyed, saw what he believed was contraband when they opened the door the first time, was concerned for the mental welfare of the person inside, etc.

None of those actually let the police enter your house without a warrant except for the first one, and since they were there looking for a person that would be a hard sell.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

Exigent circumstances may allow entry without a warrant. There's nothing in the articles suggesting any were present, though.

What's the likelihood of the cop being able to convincingly say he sincerely thought otherwise? Good-faith misinterpretation and all that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

None of those actually let the police enter your house without a warrant except for the first one, and since they were there looking for a person that would be a hard sell.

Actually, all three are commonly used justifications.

Police can and do break down the door to force entry during welfare checks. They then of course can search/seize any contraband they see.

E.g:

quote:

Welfare Checks and the "Emergency Aid" Doctrine: Checking for victims in a residence upon a "reasonable belief" that someone inside a residence is in need of aid, or that there is an imminent threat to the life or welfare of someone inside, an immediate, justifies a warrantless entry. (People v. Ray (1999) 21 Cal.4th 464; Tamborino v. Superior Court (1986) 41 Cal.3rd 919; People v. Ammons (1980) 103 Cal.App.3rd 20.)

Plain view doctrine would give police cause to enter without a warrant if they saw contraband through the open doorway when initially refused entry.

quote:

'Plain View'.—Somewhat similar in rationale is the rule that objects falling in the 'plain view' of an officer who has a right to be in the position to have that view are subject to seizure without a warrant293 or that if the officer needs a warrant or probable cause to search and seize his lawful observation will provide grounds therefor.294 The plain view doctrine is limited, however, by the probable cause requirement: officers must have probable cause to believe that items in plain view are contraband before they may search or seize them.295

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's really interesting how the "plain view" doctrine only really works if the public isn't aware of it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

What's the likelihood of the cop being able to convincingly say he sincerely thought otherwise? Good-faith misinterpretation and all that.
The good faith exception applies to evidence at trial, it isn't a defense to murder. I'm sure the officer will raise some sort of exigent circumstances argument at trial, but I don't think there are any I would find plausible based on what has been reported.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, all three are commonly used justifications.

Police can and do break down the door to force entry during welfare checks. They then of course can search/seize any contraband they see.

E.g:

Plain view doctrine would give police cause to enter without a warrant if they saw contraband through the open doorway when initially refused entry.

Plain view does not give the ability to enter a domicile, the officer must have right of access to where the contraband is as well as a lawful vantage point.

You keep phrasing "wellfare check" like they can enter just to see if you're doing swell instead of it being an exception for emergencies.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Of course, the elephant in the room is that if dealing with the police requires a grasp of law citizens cannot reasonably be expected to have, it is extremely difficult to justify police behavior as just, as it carries the basic taint that they may, basically, engage in exploitation of fellow citizens perfectly legally.

That elephant was killed long ago for resisting arrest. If you become a police person of interest, your best chance of survival is immediate and unconditional submission and even then it's a toss up.

War on Drugs has made that notion inapplicable.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Plain view does not give the ability to enter a domicile, the officer must have right of access to where the contraband is as well as a lawful vantage point.

Unless of course the plain view shows something that might be destroyed, in which case they enter on that exigency. Technically you can't enter merely because you saw something, but in practice you usually can.

FAUXTON posted:

Fact dependent and we don't have any facts so no idea. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
We're getting an FBI investigation in Minneapolis. Also, it sounds like none of the footage shows the complete encounter. I hope they release something soon, people are mad as heck.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Silver Nitrate posted:

We're getting an FBI investigation in Minneapolis. Also, it sounds like none of the footage shows the complete encounter. I hope they release something soon, people are mad as heck.

I was caught in that traffic shitshow but I'm really glad they did it. I don't know what the x-factor in this case was other than that the protesters organized and demonstrated faster than I've ever seen and the whole city government was caught with their pants down.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

That elephant was killed long ago for resisting arrest. If you become a police person of interest, your best chance of survival is immediate and unconditional submission and even then it's a toss up.

Don't forget to guess unerringly right that the person breaking down your door at 3am and refusing to show a warrant really is/is not a cop entering under exigent circumstances before you unconditionally submit/defend yourself!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Don't forget to guess unerringly right that the person breaking down your door at 3am and refusing to show a warrant really is/is not a cop entering under exigent circumstances before you unconditionally submit/defend yourself!

Yeah this is what I was getting at. If someone claiming to be police busts down your door in the middle of the night without a warrant you have two choices:

a) Treat that person as a real cop and submit immediately.
b) Treat that person as someone pretending to be police trying to attack you and defend yourself with force.

There's no real way to know the difference in the small amount of time the encounter takes place especially when the person is groggy from being woken up. Additionally the cop isn't really making a good case they are who they say they are when the person being attacked hasn't committed a crime and there is no warrant; anyone would think that is incredibly suspect. Making the wrong choice means you will have a good chance of being killed, either by the cop or by the home invader. If you kill the cop that busts down your door at best you are in for a huge legal nightmare, at worst you will be incarcerated or killed. Regular people should not have to worry about accidentally attacking a police officer entering their dwelling erroneously (oops the informant told me the wrong address or whatever is not a good excuse) and triggering a lethal response which is why this sort of thing should carry severe punishment for the police that do it. I understand there are situations where a warrant isn't required but this example among other is almost certainly not one of those.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 18, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I dislike in these sorts of circumstances how the reasonableness of a homeowner in these situations is regarded as irrelevant; if the officer is deemed to have acted legally, then no matter how reasonable it would be for a person to not trust them, a lack of compliance is indefensible. On the flip side, not only would such an officer in that situation be given a complete pass regardless of how unreasonable or otherwise incompetent they were behaving, but illegal conduct on the part of the officer can be defended as long as the officer had "good intentions" or whatnot, or if the officer believed what they were doing was legal, even if said belief was a pretty boneheaded one.

It's annoying to me since I think the question of effectiveness or competence on the part of the actions of law enforcement should be bought up a bit more often in cases such as this, where reasonableness is a factor. Even if the officer here had, say, seen some kind of meth lab inside the house, the correct course of action would have been to get an actual warrant, and maybe bring backup or elect to follow some kind of route that wouldn't leave people dead, instead of deciding it was a great idea to barge into a house, solo, and get in a fistfight with a dude in an unknown tactical situation, due to some fear that the homeowner would be able to destroy all the evidence and then the bad guys would get away. I imagine the officer is going to be able to elude some consequences of his actions by claiming he was in fear for his life or something (hence the emphasis on the dead guy "going for the taser"), and I think it really should be brought up more just how much danger the officer put himself in for no good reason, to undermine the whole idea that such behavior is some sad necessity needed to ensure a functional police force.

Plus, as was brought up, if the officer's not punished for this behavior, it undermines a lot of things related to needing warrants or limits on police conduct in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

Unless of course the plain view shows something that might be destroyed, in which case they enter on that exigency. Technically you can't enter merely because you saw something, but in practice you usually can.

Wouldn't they be required in that instance to detain the person in the house outside and wait for a warrant? I can't remember the name of the case right now but I'll try to look it up later.

With how well the domicile is usually protected and the way plain view works I would think "I thought I saw contraband" as a way to bullshit into a house without a warrant wouldn't pass the smell test.

• Locked thread