Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

You can't get cat tapeworms, the worming medicine will do all the work for that. I would worry more about the fleas tbh. Treat the cats, vacuum a lot, laundry a lot, vacuum some more and again and again, throw away the bags if you have them or empty the canister outside the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Seconding Revolution. Don't cheap out on the topical treatments, the cheaper stuff doesn't work anywhere near as well. They also make a flea spray that you can use to spray down places that are hard to vacuum, like along the baseboards. Or hell, just spray everything regardless of whether you vacuum it. Zodiac is the brand we've used. We always make sure to spray the poo poo out of the bedroom we keep SPCA fosters in because probably 75% of the time the kittens come in with fleas but are too young for flea treatments.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How safe is it to rub my face in cat fur or for my cats to groom each other after applying Revolution?

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Once it's dry.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

How safe is it to rub my face in cat fur or for my cats to groom each other after applying Revolution?

Arthropods and nematodes have a unique nervous system that leaves them extremely sensitive to certain chemicals which mimic glutamate ions and gum up chloride ion channels in synapses. Selamectin (the active ingredient in Revolution) is one of those chemicals. It's absolutely devastating to parasites as a result.

Mammals can also be susceptible to it, but the overwhelming majority of synapses in mammals are in the brain, and selamectin can't cross the blood-brain barrier (unless you or your pet has a very specific birth defect, which you'd already know about if you did). Thus it is almost harmless to mammals, with massive doses of it required to sneak enough through to the brain to cause problems.

Revolution works by soaking through the skin and then accumulating in sebaceous glands around hair follicles. Parasites bite into the skin, suck up some of the lovely selamectin-laced blood, then get paralyzed and fall off. It gradually leaches back into the blood, where it gets picked up by the liver and excreted in feces over the course of a month.

So petting your cat will indeed expose you to a bit of selemectin, as it will be secreted with the oil in your cat's skin, but the dosage you'll get will be tiny and harmless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh.

Okay so I guess I should wash my hands thoroughly before working on my fish/shrimp/snail tanks after treating my furballs.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I can't find any evidence of fleas even using a flea brush. Is it possible for the cats to have tapeworms, but not fleas?

e: There's fleas.

Nickelodeon Household fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 17, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My mother and her partner are now retired and will be travelling the world for a while, so my girlfriend and I will be adopting their cat in January.

Are there any resources I can read for moving a cat? She knows me well as I visit a fair bit so she should be ok with us in the house. I'm just not sure how best to help her adapt to the house and the neighbour cats. She is about 8 and is a tiny little thing so am worried about her getting stressed or running away.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thin Privilege posted:

^^

Yeah, try World's Best, it's made from corn so unless they have a corn allergy there's no issues. It doesn't stick to fur or paws, unlike gross clay litter. You can get it on Amazon, Target, PetCo, and I think Petsmart has it but not the lavender scented variety, which is the best in my opinion because it smells really good. I have a long haired fluff ball and I've never had any issues using it, I don't need to cut or clean his fur or paws or anything.

In terms of switching litters the advice is to do it gradually:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/how-to-change-brands-of-litter/

e: World's Best has a new pine litter but I haven't tried it, so I can't say anything about it, but their corn stuff is great.

Page back I know but we're finding that Jayne still gets his litter everywhere even when we use World's Best. It doesn't stick to his paws or anything but it's still on the floor around his box :(

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Irritated Goat posted:

Page back I know but we're finding that Jayne still gets his litter everywhere even when we use World's Best. It doesn't stick to his paws or anything but it's still on the floor around his box :(

Cats spread litter, no matter what. It's one of the Laws of Catness.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yeah, I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-770...entry+litterbox

IMHO, It's decent at keeping litter spread down from a traditional box, it's still there, it's just a shorter range.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It doesn't eliminate it, but get a big box, add liner, then put a disposable box inside and put the litter in the disposable box. Most of the litter ends up between the disposable box and the regular box. When it's time to change the whole thing just throw out the liner and the disposable box.

Not the cheapest but for my one cat it's the best system I've come up with so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found that a top entry box really cuts down on litter scatter. Unfortunately Pudding started to camp out on top when Cookie would use it and swat at him and that started to discourage Cookie from using it, so it was back to pans for me. :sigh:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lady Gaza posted:

My mother and her partner are now retired and will be travelling the world for a while, so my girlfriend and I will be adopting their cat in January.

Are there any resources I can read for moving a cat? She knows me well as I visit a fair bit so she should be ok with us in the house. I'm just not sure how best to help her adapt to the house and the neighbour cats. She is about 8 and is a tiny little thing so am worried about her getting stressed or running away.

As always: Feliway. Heh. I should get a commission or something...

Standard cat introduction procedures apply. Keep them in a small room at first, with foot water and litter. Cats like small spaces. Give her time to get settled in and calm down, and once she's calm let her out into the rest of the house. Give her time and space if she's hiding and backing off from you.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
My lazy oval office housemate hasn't been putting flea protection on the cat regularly and found two fleas on it on Sunday.

I'm pretty pissed off about this but do I need to flea bomb the house? or am I overreacting?

I'm pretty sure I've been bitten once or twice but put them down to "sweat rash" at the time.

Anyway red alert or should it be fine.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

My lazy oval office housemate hasn't been putting flea protection on the cat regularly and found two fleas on it on Sunday.

I'm pretty pissed off about this but do I need to flea bomb the house? or am I overreacting?

I'm pretty sure I've been bitten once or twice but put them down to "sweat rash" at the time.

Anyway red alert or should it be fine.

Get drops for the cat, wash everything cat sleeps on, vacuum daily and empty the vacuum daily for a week as a precaution. See how it's coming from there. If there are still fleas keep vacuuming and washing bedding persistently. It takes awhile to get rid of them but you should see noticeable progress after the first week and after drops treatment. There's various flea carpet powders or diatomaceous earth you can get in addition to make vacuuming a little more effective.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Cat thread, I need help.

So earlier I talked about Molly and Harri, two cats who loving hate each other. Previously I was having problems with Molly (my old cat, energetic and boisterous) bullying Harri (the new cat, gentle & a bit timid). Well things have gotten better and worse. Better in that Harri will now explore the house, in interested in outside and doesn't stay cooped up in her room anymore. Bad in that they are both trying to kick the poo poo out of each other constantly.

When Harri started exploring the house there was still some hissing and spitting but they generally seemed to tolerate each other's company without violence, which is why we thought to give them free reign. But things have been getting worse since then, and culminated in last night where they had 3 claws bared fights that needed us to separate them. A lot of the problem seems to be that Harri hisses and growls at Molly every single time she sees her, but doesn't do anything else, which leads to Molly ambushing Harri when her back is turned. Molly doesn't seem to really care that much until Harri starts making angry noises at her.

We've separated them again today and put Harri back in a room with all her amenities and given them both a bunch of attention while they were separated, in the hopes that they will cool off. But we've had Harri for about 6 weeks now which seems like a long time for the violence to be escalating. Anybody got any ideas? Is this just the last burst of violence before they calm the gently caress down, or is this not gonna work out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You'll have to separate them up again for awhile, then try do a slow introduction again, as if you're introducing them for the first time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

SynthOrange posted:

You'll have to separate them up again for awhile, then try do a slow introduction again, as if you're introducing them for the first time.

Thanks, i'll try that. Although now the new cat has had a taste of freedom and is a bit of an escape artist, that might be easier said than done...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DorianGravy posted:

Does your cat mind having the feeding tube? Can you administer the drugs through it as well? I may be putting Annie on prednisilone soon, but she just hates it when I try to give her medicine. A lot of the time I'm not successful at giving her anything.

Do you, or anyone else, have advice for how to administer medicine (both in liquid or pill form)?

I have been giving her medicine through the tube by crushing it up and mixing it with the water I use to flush out the tube.

She doesn't like the process much so I have to hold her down.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Thanks, i'll try that. Although now the new cat has had a taste of freedom and is a bit of an escape artist, that might be easier said than done...

When reintroducing them you can feed them on opposite sides of a cracked door so they can see but not get to each other. It builds a positive association with food and the other cat.

Cynops
Sep 4, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

World's Best on the floor around his box :(

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Thanks everyone, I picked up some Worlds Best (Lavender)and will start transitioning asap! I'm excited for the clumping, because Yesterdays News doesn't, which I never liked, so hopefully it will be... yesterdays news! :rimshot: (Sorry)
As for the litter spreading, both of my cats flick the litter out of the box as it is, sometimes lots, sometimes hardly any. I have a mat down that catches most of it, I just sweep it up and put it back in, its just as clean as what's in the box! I just don't want it sticking to their feet and ending up on my carpets, couch, or bed. But it doesn't sound like that will be a problem! Thanks again for your help, hopefully my little Belle likes it more and I can take the foil off my plant pot.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a more cost-effective flea treatment than Revolution? I'm taking care of my sister's cat for the next three months and I really don't want to spend any more money on her than I need to.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
OK, so, just want to make sure I'm not loving up. We've invested in feliway and totally dialled back on going to them, the little tiny kitten who was hissing doesn't hiss but is still running away from us and pretty obviously scared.

The bigger, more confident one is now sitting near me and even rubbing on me somewhat and purring loads when I stroke him, but he doesn't seem entirely sure he wants to be stroked? Like, he purrs a bit, then flinches and walks off a little way, then comes back and sits near me again, then purrs when I stroke him, and the cycle repeats. Any advice/ideas? I'm making sure I let him control the tempo and don't chase him, but other than that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's fine. Let the cat warm up to you at their own pace. Feel free to pet if they let you approach, but dont pursue if they run off. If the kitten is drawn to food, venture a few pets while it comes to eat but dont push it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Evfedu posted:

OK, so, just want to make sure I'm not loving up. We've invested in feliway and totally dialled back on going to them, the little tiny kitten who was hissing doesn't hiss but is still running away from us and pretty obviously scared.

The bigger, more confident one is now sitting near me and even rubbing on me somewhat and purring loads when I stroke him, but he doesn't seem entirely sure he wants to be stroked? Like, he purrs a bit, then flinches and walks off a little way, then comes back and sits near me again, then purrs when I stroke him, and the cycle repeats. Any advice/ideas? I'm making sure I let him control the tempo and don't chase him, but other than that?

Sounds like pretty normal cat behaviour to me. Some cats just like to be around people rather than get constant scratches/strokes. They'll probably warm up over time.

Day 1 of putting my new cat back in her room - some hissing but they were being pretty chill, which is kinda infuriating since the reason I split them up again is because they were being violent :argh:

On the plus side I found the new cat sleeping under the covers this morning, and she just squeaked at me without moving an inch when I went to see if she wanted attention :3:

Edit: Scratch that, they had a super violent fight as soon as I introduced them today, so I guess they really did need to be separated.

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 19, 2015

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Wanamingo posted:

Is there a more cost-effective flea treatment than Revolution? I'm taking care of my sister's cat for the next three months and I really don't want to spend any more money on her than I need to.

Couldn't she just buy you a 3 month supply? Or are you taking care of it specifically for money reasons on her end? If it helps you can get revolution cheaper on amazon sometimes.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kerfuffle posted:

Couldn't she just buy you a 3 month supply? Or are you taking care of it specifically for money reasons on her end? If it helps you can get revolution cheaper on amazon sometimes.

She's (yet again) going through court-mandated rehab, so no. Do you have an amazon link? I see plenty of other flea drops for sale, but not Revolution. The cheapest I can find it through google is a little over $50 on 1800petmeds, but apparently you can only order it there if if you have a prescription.

I've had the cat for about a week now, and in that time I've noticed she's had three sneezing fits. I assume that's not normal, does anybody know what might be causing it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

She's (yet again) going through court-mandated rehab, so no. Do you have an amazon link? I see plenty of other flea drops for sale, but not Revolution. The cheapest I can find it through google is a little over $50 on 1800petmeds, but apparently you can only order it there if if you have a prescription.

I've had the cat for about a week now, and in that time I've noticed she's had three sneezing fits. I assume that's not normal, does anybody know what might be causing it?

Revolution is prescription only, as far as I know, so you need to get it from a vet. If it's not something you want to fool with, try other stuff. I can vouch for Revolution as we treat our cats with it regularly and it's awesome. Other treatments are probably less effective, but also a lot cheaper.

You'll need to do your own value calculation and figure out how much you can spend for what level of treatment. Generally, anything effective will be expensive.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

The seresto flea collar is more cost effective overall, but still not cheap. Worked very well for my cat when otc drops utterly failed.

Edit: it's around $50 but lasts for 6 months, no script needed.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Long story short, my fiancee and I broke up, and we had to separate the cats. We had Pickles since the beginning, and adopted Smore in late 2013. She hated Pickles the whole way, but would play only when he engaged her for it, and it was just a chase until she hissed and batted him away.

Since the breakup, I got my own place. I work 50-60 hour weeks, and the only time she isn't absolutely howling and freaking out, is if she's in my lap. That can't happen with 100% of my free time, and my small 1 bedroom can't handle 2 cats. The weird part is Pickles doesn't give a poo poo, according to my ex. His behavior hasn't changed.

I went to the shelter last weekend, and every cat was bonded. I could probably make 2 cats work with a bigger litter box, but I absolutely can't do 3.

I feel the best move in her interest is re-homing. It feels like poo poo to do it, but I'm at a loss. She was abandoned once already. I love her to death, but feel like she deserves better. She has all of her toys, and her tower, and I give her all the lap time I can, but I can't give her 100%.

Thoughts?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dubious posted:

Long story short, my fiancee and I broke up, and we had to separate the cats. We had Pickles since the beginning, and adopted Smore in late 2013. She hated Pickles the whole way, but would play only when he engaged her for it, and it was just a chase until she hissed and batted him away.

Since the breakup, I got my own place. I work 50-60 hour weeks, and the only time she isn't absolutely howling and freaking out, is if she's in my lap. That can't happen with 100% of my free time, and my small 1 bedroom can't handle 2 cats. The weird part is Pickles doesn't give a poo poo, according to my ex. His behavior hasn't changed.

I went to the shelter last weekend, and every cat was bonded. I could probably make 2 cats work with a bigger litter box, but I absolutely can't do 3.

I feel the best move in her interest is re-homing. It feels like poo poo to do it, but I'm at a loss. She was abandoned once already. I love her to death, but feel like she deserves better. She has all of her toys, and her tower, and I give her all the lap time I can, but I can't give her 100%.

Thoughts?

reading this gets confusing as to whether you're talking about pickles, smore, or your fiancee at any given time

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dubious posted:

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about your dis-engagement. That's rough enough without pet issues.

If the cat is this upset being with you, a known entity she is familiar with, I can't imagine moving to a new home AGAIN with a NEW person is going to magically be less stressful for her.

Would your ex-fiancee take both cats, so they can be together? I hate to suggest it, but it may be better than re-homing to a new person.

On the other hand, it can take a while for cats to settle down after a big change. Have you tried feliway? Environmental enrichment, like food puzzles, or a window perch, to give her more stimulation?

Shelters get new cats all the time, and there's got to be more than one shelter. Keep looking.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dubious posted:

Thoughts?

Give her time, she'll be fine. She's confused and stressed at the moment, but she'll settle down eventually to the new circumstances.

Cats are all about routine and predictability in their environment. She's upset now because new things are happening and she doesn't understand them. Once she figures out that she's still safe and you'll still feed her, she'll calm down.

If she's still stressed out like this after a month or more, then there's something that needs to be dealt with.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

If she's still stressed out like this after a month or more, then there's something that needs to be dealt with.

It's been around 45 days, so yea, I'm running out of ideas.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dubious posted:

It's been around 45 days, so yea, I'm running out of ideas.

Yeah, sorry. You didn't specify a time line and I just assumed it had been a week or so.

There are various web sites that have advice for dealing with separation anxiety in cats. You may need to go to your vet for some kitty Prozac.

Giving her away doesn't solve your cat's anxiety problems, they'll just get worse. It will solve your own anxiety issues, though.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yea I really don't want to give her away. I'll go to the vet and look into some anxiety medication.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I bought some feliway tonight, and sprayed it around her usual haunts. Less anxiety, but way better. She needs a pathway to the only sill the new place offers, so i'll move the tower so she can get up there.

I really hope once she can be "kitty in the window" she lets up, but i expect to keep checking shelters for her new friend. I won't give up on her yet. Never had a cat who needs constant attention before, ever. She's something else.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is "Cats are jerks" but I thought that was also the answer to why he ignored the water next to his food in favour of toilet water and it turns out there was a reason for it, so...

Quite often, he likes canned food on the first feeding but doesn't like the second half of the can on his next feeding. I keep the half-finished can in the fridge and mix hot water in prior to serving. I often add warm water to the first half of the can so it's not the temperature and it's not the water content. I haven't noticed any signs of digestive issues or allergies. So, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Marvin/Salem/Blackie/Little Buddy/Cat-in-a-box has been visiting our yard for a couple weeks. A few other cats pass through and accept an occasional petting, but this guy is super affectionate and would follow us around. He seemed hungry, so I started feeding him. It is getting cold here so I made him an insulated cat box and now he spends a lot of time in there. The roommates are very adamant about no cats in the house, but I really like having him around. We chill out together every morning while I drink coffee.