Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

yeah what's wrong with erfworld? I mean aside from the guy not being able to decide if he wants a comic or a novel.

Tons of exposition all in cringeworthy faux-cutesy language?

ED: Spidews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think the disappointing thing about QC is it's like just right below good. Like Jeph is really close to having a much better comic he just doesn't go over that hump and do more interesting things with it. Instead he just keeps treading water.

Maybe once upon a time he was close to having an amusing or interesting comic but he's so far down the boring drama/tumblr hole he ain't never coming back. Also his robot characters are so bad and have no reason to exist. So do the main characters a lot of the time though so...

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't stop gawking at Megatokyo and Fred.

Is he still making that godawful VN game?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tunicate posted:

Tons of exposition all in cringeworthy faux-cutesy language?
An unlikeable fat sperg surrounded by living cartoons?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in the same vein Stonebreaker is p rad

I read and liked 'Over the Wall' but haven't gotten my head into the reading Stonebreaker gear yet. I should fix that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

anti-magic posted:

Has he started making it?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

anti-magic posted:

Also his robot characters are so bad and have no reason to exist. So do the main characters a lot of the time though so...
When the strip started I figured Pintsize was just a wacky mascot character to put on T shirts. When you actually think about it, there's no reason for Martin to own a robot/computer/free and independent sentient being; he never uses Pintsize for his "music" Martin is in a band, remember?) or his job at the library or to browse the internet or anything. In universe, the character is just this out of place belligerent pervert that the main character keeps around because...

Hannerlore had one too, and possibly still does but it looked like a pre-touch iPod and also served no story or character purposes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pintsize's purpose in QC is the same purpose as Choo-Choo Bear in Something Positive or McPedro in Girls With Slingshot. It's the webcomic twist on the wacky talking animal sidekick archetype, and it's offensively obnoxious to any reader older than five, just like every single other wacky talking animal sidekick ever created.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Here you can observe a properly garfated QC comic.

Notice that the absence of the joke actually increases the comedic value. This serves as evidence of a possible "antihumor" which QC is theorized to generate. You can learn more about this in my new book The Sound of One Cheek Farting.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cat Mattress posted:

Pintsize's purpose in QC is the same purpose as Choo-Choo Bear in Something Positive or McPedro in Girls With Slingshot. It's the webcomic twist on the wacky talking animal sidekick archetype, and it's offensively obnoxious to any reader older than five, just like every single other wacky talking animal sidekick ever created.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU5GfORvH8&t=31s

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't stop gawking at Megatokyo and Fred.

Not even reading Dominic Deegan as a teenager embarrasses me as much as reading Megatokyo.

I'm not really sure how that site works, he essentially never updates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't hate on QC for the art. Because if you go and look at every few hundred strips or so, he's at least progressing. Slowly. And he came from a very bad start.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not even reading Dominic Deegan as a teenager embarrasses me as much as reading Megatokyo.

I'm not really sure how that site works, he essentially never updates.

I have to wonder if he went back to having another job.

(Although the really embarrassing bit is the cast page, the nonexistence of which is a "joke", which apparently means it's okay that this important tool for helping people jump into your comic has been a WIP for...

...good lord, has it really been since 2007? That is even longer than I thought.)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
To be fair, cast pages are really rarely updated. Half the time you can hit them up to see character designs from another era, and bios that were written prior to the last four character arcs.

Also! Monster Pulse doesn't have a thread anymore right? So let's speculate! These guys seem really with-it to be those recursive abominations that were floated a few chapters ago, though they also don't seem tied to another agent (the newest one seems to be getting directions directly from SHELL, rather than from its host). Maybe they stabilized the process?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

Erfworld is really good, though.

Honestly, Megatokyo is also pretty good; it just updates so rarely it's hard to remember it still exists. It's kind of like Dresden Codak except that its continued existence as a business elicits emotions like "pity" and "confusion" instead of "rage" and "irritation."

What the gently caress's the deal with Megatokyo. My only experience with it is a HS ex who spoke about it with that weird anime-person passion.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pavlov posted:

Here you can observe a properly garfated QC comic.

Notice that the absence of the joke actually increases the comedic value. This serves as evidence of a possible "antihumor" which QC is theorized to generate. You can learn more about this in my new book The Sound of One Cheek Farting.

keep making these, they're p. good

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Don't forget the Vattu2 kickstarter is live : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evandahm/vattu-the-sword-and-the-sacrament

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What the gently caress's the deal with Megatokyo. My only experience with it is a HS ex who spoke about it with that weird anime-person passion.

Don't read Megatokyo. Just forget you ever heard anything about it

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

That is, in effect, the full Megatokyo experience. Part of the deal was that when it started the full manga force and anime wave hadn't crashed over the shores of America; Barmes and Noble at the time didn't have a gigantic manga wall and people were still seriously fan subbing shows from Japan. Megatokyo gave the experience of reading a "real" manga to starving pre-otaku and has capitalized on that for years.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NorgLyle posted:

That is, in effect, the full Megatokyo experience. Part of the deal was that when it started the full manga force and anime wave hadn't crashed over the shores of America; Barmes and Noble at the time didn't have a gigantic manga wall and people were still seriously fan subbing shows from Japan. Megatokyo gave the experience of reading a "real" manga to starving pre-otaku and has capitalized on that for years.

I always assumed it was that specific brand of alienated early 2000's weeb thing.

Is it a creepy and stupid in an Elfen Lied way or creepy and stupid in a Chobits way?

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 17, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rand Brittain posted:

Erfworld is really good, though.

Erfworld was really good, before their artist bailed and they proceeded to start (and not finish) multiple different text-only prequel stories. Last I checked they were still doing this.

I didn't actually mind the no-pictures aspect of the text updates, it was the way they kept jumping further and further back in time, and just as I was getting invested they'd loving switch focus again without resolving any of the new arcs. I think they probably started that because they had this idea about wanting to continue the main story with pictures but kept on not being able to find a reliable artist, but even if they've now gone back to the actual story all that loving around they did has completely killed my enthusiasm.

Once in a blue moon I'll break down and go check QC out of morbid (or perhaps that should be moribund) curiosity, just to see if it's changed. Since quitting Erfworld however many years ago I have had exactly zero desire to go back.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

anti-magic posted:

Maybe once upon a time he was close to having an amusing or interesting comic but he's so far down the boring drama/tumblr hole he ain't never coming back. Also his robot characters are so bad and have no reason to exist. So do the main characters a lot of the time though so...

With a team of 10 people, $300,000, and three years behind him, he managed to make a very short "pencil test" for the beta backers. The Kickstarter went for nearly an entire year without an official update.

quote:

Is it a creepy and stupid in an Elfen Lied way or creepy and stupid in an Chobits way?

It's Chobits creepy but nothing actually happens.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I always assumed it was that specific brand of alienated early 2000's weeb thing.

Is it a creepy and stupid in an Elfen Lied way or creepy and stupid in a Chobits way?
There is literally a knock off Chobits character in the main cast (or there was at one point; the author may have been shamed into getting rid of her at some point).

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Hogge Wild posted:

keep making these, they're p. good

Let me see if I can find the ones I made last time people thought it was a good idea to discuss QC.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RoboCicero posted:

To be fair, cast pages are really rarely updated. Half the time you can hit them up to see character designs from another era, and bios that were written prior to the last four character arcs.

Also! Monster Pulse doesn't have a thread anymore right? So let's speculate! These guys seem really with-it to be those recursive abominations that were floated a few chapters ago, though they also don't seem tied to another agent (the newest one seems to be getting directions directly from SHELL, rather than from its host). Maybe they stabilized the process?

Yeah that joke is actually kinda funny since even today every webcomic has a cast page which is either so vague it's useless or COMING SOON.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

There is literally a knock off Chobits character in the main cast (or there was at one point; the author may have been shamed into getting rid of her at some point).

The not-sex robot is still there.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of manga knockoffs , Monster Pulse is probably one of the best on the net right now. A lot of the time I like it more than it's influences.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Renaissance Robot posted:

Erfworld was really good, before their artist bailed and they proceeded to start (and not finish) multiple different text-only prequel stories. Last I checked they were still doing this.

They started doing updates again, and then the third artist bailed and the writer wound up bringing back the second artist back as penciller and bringing back a fourth artist as inker and colorist, which actually looks pretty good and they've been updating pretty regularly twice a week.

They're still swapping back and forth between comic updates and illustrated text updates, and I have no idea how they plan to make that work in book form.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Here we go, these were the first ones.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

I didn't actually mind the no-pictures aspect of the text updates, it was the way they kept jumping further and further back in time, and just as I was getting invested they'd loving switch focus again without resolving any of the new arcs. I think they probably started that because they had this idea about wanting to continue the main story with pictures but kept on not being able to find a reliable artist, but even if they've now gone back to the actual story all that loving around they did has completely killed my enthusiasm.

They stopped that months ago.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pavlov posted:

Here we go, these were the first ones.

"2815"

"2817"

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah those were from last thread I think.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Erfworld's sense of pacing has always been its low point, and the fact that it can't seem to hold onto an artist just exacerbates it. Book 1 was an exception--it felt really cohesive, and it just kept escalating in a really satisfying way. But Book 2 had that interminable "I wanna be on the battlefield" which just stretched on and on and was, by the main character's admission, incredibly pointless compared to the effort involved.

Book 3 is doing better, it had a bit of the problem where it would keep switching between half a dozen different plot threads without really advancing any of them, but it seems to have locked back on to its main thread and has been steadily gathering momentum.

(The prequel story was actually pretty good, albeit rather bleak and hard to reconcile with the way the comic starts out.)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I can't link to one of my favorite webcomics because it's down right now. Even when it comes back up, I can't promise it will be updated any time soon because the author (Spike) is busy with creating and publishing other works, but Templar, Arizona is an alternate history comic with great lines, writings and imaginative world building that's outrageous but probably exists in some way.

Even before the site went down, there's a chance the last time it updated was the last time Achewood updated, but unlike Achewood, I have confidence Spike will get back to it at some point even if it's only for a strip or two.

For a webcomic that actually finished, I must thank goons for leading me (and this thread) to Endstone, a goofy but fun ride from beginning to end.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

If we're recommending random comics then Softies is pretty good

It's hosted on tumblr which isn't an incredibly webcomic host but at least they set the page up well

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant say if it's good or not because it's only a few pages long. vOv

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

It's good from what I've seen so far, I guess is more accurate. I don't see it suddenly becoming terrible, but I guess we'll see

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, Megatokyo is also pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNmLPATW0s&t=9s

anyway...

RoboCicero posted:

That's true, but I still find that it's nice to have a little who's who as a primer. It especially helps a new reader, because those old bios won't matter to someone reading from the start (for a heavy narrative-driven comic at least).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Carrasco posted:

Erfworld's sense of pacing has always been its low point, and the fact that it can't seem to hold onto an artist just exacerbates it. Book 1 was an exception--it felt really cohesive, and it just kept escalating in a really satisfying way. But Book 2 had that interminable "I wanna be on the battlefield" which just stretched on and on and was, by the main character's admission, incredibly pointless compared to the effort involved.

Book 3 is doing better, it had a bit of the problem where it would keep switching between half a dozen different plot threads without really advancing any of them, but it seems to have locked back on to its main thread and has been steadily gathering momentum.

(The prequel story was actually pretty good, albeit rather bleak and hard to reconcile with the way the comic starts out.)

erfworld's low point is that it's a dramatic narrative built on monkey cheese epic meme references and the same 'haha what if games were real and their rules were physics, wouldn't that be wacky' premise that has already been flogged to death for literally every actual game that exists, and wasn't funny the first time

your and my low point is ever having read any of erfworld.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 18, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Why do we have to have this conversation every time it comes up?

I asked about a lovely, "lol, I'm a nerd," "whoa, sexy stuff happens but it's not Archie" comic, it's my fault. I had a morbid curiosity about the lame, obvious bait they were putting in front of the readers.

"Will he reject her because she's trans?" OF COURSE NOT, he's Introvert Man that has no experience with the world yet is completely unfazed by every unexpected thing he's never encountered before. There was a time when black people made me uncomfortable because I was a sheltered nerd, now I hang out in the ghetto and don't mind that people treat me with suspicion because they presume I'm FBI. There should be a series of TEH just waltzing through potentially shocking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Speaking of manga knockoffs , Monster Pulse is probably one of the best on the net right now. A lot of the time I like it more than it's influences.

I like it a lot, there's been some great character development recently. Violet is a good character and I hope we see a lot more of her. I'm curious about what Enid is. Some commenters were saying that it is literally An Id which could be cool, or like a hybrid since it can talk.

• Locked thread