Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

not that I'm aware of. i think Wahhabism is a stricter concept referring to the teachings of a guy named al-Wahhab, and Salafism is fundamentalist political Islam in general

I've just seen the terms being used interchangeably, wanted to make sure that was more or less accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “There’s millions of Americans out there, qualified, ready, willing and able…I really don’t think it’s me being asked, but as I say, if I were asked, I’d do it.” ~ Sarah Palin, on whether she would consider running for VP again.

God bless our American patriots who are brave enough to send their fellow Americans to die.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Is there a meaningful (read:practical) distinction between Wahabism and Salafism?

I had a Muslim acquaintance who studied theology once say it was like the difference between fundamentalism Calvinism and fundamentalism American evangelicalism. I however lacked the understanding to really takeaway more from her statement than that quip. As a matter of how it intersects with political ideology and motivations of states and nonstate actors, the other concerns probably override any doctrinal differences

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blah blah blah Republican hypocrisy but it's (amusing/terrible/horrifying) to me how they are so quick to jump on biblical evidence for homophobia but ignore it for, in this case, treatment of refugees and the needy. If you're extremely generous there are maybe three passages in the Bible that could be referring to homosexuality as a sin. But the mandate to take in, clothe and help the needy is all throughout the bible. Shaun King points out:

Also directly related to this is the fact that the reason God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah wasn't because it was full of gay people, but that those cities were so bad to visitors.

well, "fact" but y'all know what I mean.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 17, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Joementum posted:

The Benghazi committee has figured out who was to blame for their hearing with Hillary lasting 11 hours. You get one guess.

He also says that the committee will be taking a "research" trip to Germany and Italy next week. It's hard work, but they're willing to go to the ends of the five star hotel list to find the truth, dammit!

I really hate Westmoreland. I've spoken to him and he is an absolute shitbag.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the FCC laws have equal time provisions. I was previously under the impression these got voided in the 80s with Buckley vs FCC but I guess I was wrong. Anyways I bring this up because Kaisch and Graham have filed against NBC to let them each host Saturday Night Live like Donald Trump did. Oh and Pataki is going to file.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gopers-request-equal-time-nbc

Because nothing is funnier than skits writers are forced to create after you sue them

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really hate Westmoreland. I've spoken to him and he is an absolute shitbag.

Is this person related to General Westmoreland of Vietnam fuckery fame?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Lindsey Graham would probably be a better host than Trump.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

So the FCC laws have equal time provisions. I was previously under the impression these got voided in the 80s with Buckley vs FCC but I guess I was wrong. Anyways I bring this up because Kaisch and Graham have filed against NBC to let them each host Saturday Night Live like Donald Trump did. Oh and Pataki is going to file.

Because nothing is funnier than skits writers are forced to create after you sue them

I believe that SNL offered equal time to all candidates (it's 12 minutes, same as Trump) like they did to all the D's after Hillary's cameo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Fried Chicken posted:

A Lindsey Graham SNL could be fun

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

KomradeX posted:

Not as far as I can tell.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

KomradeX posted:

I don't know, but he did call the Obamas "Uppity" once, in a super classy and totally not racist move.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I believe that SNL offered equal time to all candidates (it's 12 minutes, same as Trump) like they did to all the D's after Hillary's cameo.
I dunno; if they all said yes then SNL would have had to run beyond its time slot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

quote:

“Nobody has been able to sit down with him and have him get one iota of intelligent information about the Middle East,” Duane R. Clarridge, a top adviser to Mr. Carson on terrorism and national security, said in an interview. He also said Mr. Carson needed weekly conference calls briefing him on foreign policy so “we can make him smart.”

We are smart now.

Who knew?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Texas GOP state Rep says we can't let refugees in because they could buy guns here. Said without even a hint of irony.

quote:

“While the Paris attackers used suicide vests and grenades it is clear that firearms also killed a large number of innocent victims," Dale wrote. "Can you imagine a scenario were [sic] a refugees [sic] is admitted to the United States, is provided federal cash payments and other assistance, obtains a drivers license and purchases a weapon and executes an attack?”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

I dunno; if they all said yes then SNL would have had to run beyond its time slot.

Presumably not on the same night.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Could?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6O36nj06Q

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

John Kasich says that if you elect him he will create a new department to "export a Judeo-Christian belief system" to troubled regions such as Russia, and I can't even finish this sentence I hate everything

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty sure Russia has a Judeo Christian belief system.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Luigi Thirty posted:

John Kasich says that if you elect him he will create a new department to "export a Judeo-Christian belief system" to troubled regions such as Russia, and I can't even finish this sentence I hate everything

Remember, he's the reasonable one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Luigi Thirty posted:

wait, what. that's McKinley level stupid? do you have a video/source? i mean kasich is a rear end, but he isn't huckabee level nuts.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am stunned at the amount of damage the terror attack in Paris has wrought on the psyche of the american conservative.

It seems a level above their usual bonkers poo poo, but maybe I'm wrong.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait, what. that's McKinley level stupid? do you have a video/source?

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/kasich-proposes-new-government-agency-promote-judeo-christian-values-n465101

Today in freedom:

Muslim woman beaten while picking her child up from school

http://www.680news.com/2015/11/16/muslim-woman-attacked-outside-childrens-school-flemingdon-park/

3 people removed from plane in Chicago and the terminal evacuated

http://abc22now.com/m/news/top-stories/stories/JUST-IN-Several-People-Removed-From-Spirit-Airlines-Flight-At-BWI-232802.shtml#.VkunpPQ8KnN

Mosque torched in Ontario

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2015/11/15/peterborough-mosque-fire-under-investigation

Muslim family's house shot at in Orlando

http://www.fox35orlando.com/home/49677558-story

And that's as far as I got down my Twitter timeline before I gave up

Mob violence against Muslim couple in Scotland

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/1332573-takeaway-owners-attacked-by-mob-of-15-citing-revenge-for-paris/

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am stunned at the amount of damage the terror attack in Paris has wrought on the psyche of the american conservative.

It seems a level above their usual bonkers poo poo, but maybe I'm wrong.

And you would think that as much as they poo poo talk the French they wouldn't care that much.

Of course, these fuckers will latch onto anything to get their hate for Muslims on so not really surprising.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Luigi Thirty posted:

Any words if the department will also have authorization to enforce religious norms and rules, with the right to punish deviants according to laws written millenniums ago?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rincewinds posted:

Any words if the department will also have authorization to enforce religious norms and rules, with the right to punish deviants according to laws written millenniums ago?

Some might even describe it as the "Pathway to be Followed"?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Pretty sure Russia has a Judeo Christian belief system.

their pure aryan-jewish lineage has been tained by mongol blood so now they're an asiatic power, sorry

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Kerry just hosed up

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/john-kerry-charlie-hebdo-rationale

quote:

Kerry: I Can See ‘Rationale’ Behind Charlie Hebdo, But Not Friday's Attacks

Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday that he could see the "rationale" behind the attack on the headquarters of French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, but not the terrorist attacks that rocked Paris on Friday.

"There’s something different about what happened from Charlie Hebdo, and I think everybody would feel that," Kerry said at the U.S. Embassy in Paris, according to a transcript of his comments. "There was a sort of particularized focus and perhaps even a legitimacy in terms of — not a legitimacy, but a rationale that you could attach yourself to somehow and say, okay, they’re really angry because of this and that."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think we can do this using shortwave radio. It's pretty easy to broadcast to the rest of the world that way. We could call the department something like "Voice of America."

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

I mean didn't Pope Francis say he'd punch you if you insulted his mom? A lot of people had said similar things

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

That is an extremely stupid thing for him to say, holy poo poo

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Remember, we're not allowed to discuss the causes of terrorism.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

"I'm pretty sure there was no ulterior motive behind this highly organized terror attack carried out by the largest terrorist organization in the world and also I understand why they shot those cartoonists."

-John Kerry, 2015

There is no loving way Kerry doesn't understand why they did this; why the gently caress would he say this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

So Kerry just gave us 4 more years of Bush again? God drat it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

baw posted:

That is an extremely stupid thing for him to say, holy poo poo

I like how you can see how he immediately realized he hosed up -- "There was a sort of particularized focus and perhaps even a legitimacy in terms of — not a legitimacy, but..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

So Kerry just gave us 4 more years of Bush again? God drat it.

I think you may be overstating this a bit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I know, I wanted to get the obvious joke out of the way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I think you may be overstating this a bit.

USPOL Nov: A bunch of headless chickens ITT

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

The Benghazi committee has figured out who was to blame for their hearing with Hillary lasting 11 hours. You get one guess.

He also says that the committee will be taking a "research" trip to Germany and Italy next week. It's hard work, but they're willing to go to the ends of the five star hotel list to find the truth, dammit!

Excuse me Joe, but they're going to do more research on "the Benghazi." This is Serious Business. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So who is Obama gonna appoint to replace him

• Locked thread