Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Being a robot should have made him super weak against Bigslo, who can take control of objects and steal souls with his eyes.

Relin posted:

The chapter teaser for 461 better not be a death flag for Ichiya

Death Flags are irrelevant in Fairy Tail. The only person who ever actually died was that one guy doing a Baron Underbheit cosplay who took a hit for Erza in Jellal's super tower. Everyone else who has died has gotten a complete Pell reversal.

It's only a matter of time before the rad dragons are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There was possibly that woman who got super old as a result of using her magic or something. I don't know, that's literally all I remember. Even that isn't clear since some people (like me) thought it was implied she got old and died as a result of it while others thought she lived.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
No one who matters or the audience cares about dies in Fairy Tail.

Like there's a whole guild worth of ancillary characters with enough development you could kill off that people would likely be pretty sad about, without really affecting much else, and Mashima refuses to do it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fabricated posted:

No one who matters or the audience cares about dies in Fairy Tail.

Like there's a whole guild worth of ancillary characters with enough development you could kill off that people would likely be pretty sad about, without really affecting much else, and Mashima refuses to do it.

If Quatro Puppy dies I'm boycotting.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

If Quatro Puppy dies I'm boycotting.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

tsob posted:

There was possibly that woman who got super old as a result of using her magic or something. I don't know, that's literally all I remember. Even that isn't clear since some people (like me) thought it was implied she got old and died as a result of it while others thought she lived.

pretty sure she lived, i vaguely remember like they walked past an old lady somewhere and the old lady smiled and was implied to be her. might be confusing her and uh, wendy's dragon grandma or whatever? really hard to keep track.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Simoom posted:

pretty sure she lived, i vaguely remember like they walked past an old lady somewhere and the old lady smiled and was implied to be her. might be confusing her and uh, wendy's dragon grandma or whatever? really hard to keep track.

The way that scene played out implied that Ultear died shortly after they passed her by. But then Gray states sometime later that she's still alive, which means she's bound to show back up (young again, of course.)

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
I don't think Ultear is dead. The anime spent a little more time on it, but I think she just lives as an old woman now. Although I could see it being interpreted either way.

But I could also see Mashima bringing her back somehow. Hell, I'm still expecting Aquarius to come back at some point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

kohon posted:

I don't think Ultear is dead. The anime spent a little more time on it, but I think she just lives as an old woman now. Although I could see it being interpreted either way.

But I could also see Mashima bringing her back somehow. Hell, I'm still expecting Aquarius to come back at some point.

It's Mashima, is being an old woman any different than being dead

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Human/Edolas Grandine is an old woman who did some things.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I don't think Mashima's "refusing" to kill anyone off since I doubt anyone really wants him to.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
I thought he might actually let Zeref kill Makarov, but we have Mest, the deus ex mashima.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to Spoilers Wahl/Badd was actually a fake. The real one is with DiMaria

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
RIP Christina... again.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

UWHHHHHHHAAAAAAAmeeeeeen

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Natsu flies into action to completely job out and nearly die, because he challenged the end boss before all of the minions are beaten!

Also jobbing: All of the Mage Saints

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2015

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Natsu flies into action to completely job out and nearly die, because he challenged the end boss before all of the minions are beaten!

Also jobbing: All of the Mage Saints

It''s not really fair to single out the Mage Saints as being about to job. I mean, yeah, they obviously are, but so are all the other guilds. The whole point of this chapter was basically outlining which main character is going to rescue which side character. Meanwhile Natsu will be knocked out of commission just long enough for all the other main characters to get beaten down, and then save them with the power of friendship.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Love that this series has a pair of the Good Guys thinking about which sexy and humiliating pose to put their prisoner of war into to satisfy their urges

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simoom posted:

Love that this series has a pair of the Good Guys thinking about which sexy and humiliating pose to put their prisoner of war into to satisfy their urges

To be fair, it is a step forward from actually doing those things. Don't hold your breath though, it's just a matter of time until she gets free and does those things to Lucy.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Simoom posted:

Yeah, that was kinda creepy. I mean it's one thing for the badguys to do stuff like that. In fact that's pretty much what they do every arc. But seeing the good guys act like that is kinda disturbing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The good guys take the time to shove broom handles up some guy's rear end every time they have a party. I'm pretty sure that this is far from the first time a member of Fairy Tail has acted kind of skeevy towards women too, though I couldn't for the life of me name another instance.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
These are supposed to be the good guys, people we look up to. It's one thing to act like a pervert when facing someone who can defend her/himself. Doing so while said person is locked up, in cuffs and on the floor helpless is just creepy and the type of poo poo that is usually reserved for villains.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The manga itself is skeevy to all of its female characters that aren't demonstrably old women

Like, I think the only female character left that hasn't had their clothes blasted off yet is the post-transformation cat girl.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

No, you see, villains actually do it while heroes just talk about it. Also those aren't shackles those are the Bonds of Friendship.

:greenangel:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Those two have always been portrayed as skeevy but ineffectual, anyways. They were just to feed the boke/tsukkomi routine with Cana and Lucy.

I'd be concerned if it were, like, Gajeel or Laxus. (Natsu is unthinkable :v:)

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I wasn't really grossed out by it- that's just the kind of series this is- I was just mildly surprised. And yeah, this is all just setup for Lucy to be humiliated, but that's been the manga's concept from the very first chapter where she is almost willingly abducted into slavery.

Where exactly is Gildarts while all this is going on!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I only read this crap because of Lucy, Erza and the other girls with extremely sexy tits thighs and rear end. gently caress y'all could

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Simoom posted:

I wasn't really grossed out by it- that's just the kind of series this is- I was just mildly surprised. And yeah, this is all just setup for Lucy to be humiliated, but that's been the manga's concept from the very first chapter where she is almost willingly abducted into slavery.

Where exactly is Gildarts while all this is going on!

He'll show up at the dramatically appropriate moment to save the day by defeating Zeref's strongest minion. Either that or he'll show up to job to Acnologia. Probably the former, since he's already been beaten by Acnologia.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Gildarts vs God Serena

Him taking on the former number one in Fiore makes sense. That or Brandish messes with Cana and he saves her.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kyte posted:

Those two have always been portrayed as skeevy but ineffectual, anyways. They were just to feed the boke/tsukkomi routine with Cana and Lucy.

I'd be concerned if it were, like, Gajeel or Laxus. (Natsu is unthinkable :v:)

Didn't Gajeel nail Levy to a tree? How does crucifixion rate?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Didn't Gajeel nail Levy to a tree? How does crucifixion rate?

Gajeel and Levy are adorable together now but that continues to bother me. One doesn't simply get over being crucified.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Gajeel and Levy are adorable together now but that continues to bother me. One doesn't simply get over being crucified.

Well, there is at least 1 precedent.

I forget did Gajeel full on nail them to the tree or did he just nail wrist bindings to the tree?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gildartz just showing up and being a zillion times stronger than everyone after endless training arcs has gotten kinda lame. Ditto with Laxus.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is a terrible ship. It's basically Vegeta/Bulma levels of "makes no drat sense". I mean maybe in a Stockholm/Trauma bonding sense but, that's way too psychological for Mashima.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Gildartz just showing up and being a zillion times stronger than everyone after endless training arcs has gotten kinda lame. Ditto with Laxus.

The ostensible big bads of the tournament arc jobbing to Laxus was cool though, so I'll give him a pass.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jiffypop45 posted:

This is a terrible ship. It's basically Vegeta/Bulma levels of "makes no drat sense". I mean maybe in a Stockholm/Trauma bonding sense but, that's way too psychological for Mashima.

Unlike Vegita, Gajeel was willing to writer her a song. Also he did legitimately save her a few times as penance.

Look, Gajeel and Levi are like the only actually nice thing left in this manga now that the dragons are gone. Don't take that away by remembering what Gajeel was like before he found friendship

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

Well, there is at least 1 precedent.

I forget did Gajeel full on nail them to the tree or did he just nail wrist bindings to the tree?

First off, nice one. Secondly, yeah you're right it was just wrist bindings, but he did beat the living poo poo out of all 3 of them before sticking them up there. So while not quite full-on crucifixion, still pretty messed up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Unlike Vegita, Gajeel was willing to writer her a song. Also he did legitimately save her a few times as penance.

Look, Gajeel and Levi are like the only actually nice thing left in this manga now that the dragons are gone. Don't take that away by remembering what Gajeel was like before he found friendship

Gajeel isn't a total rear end in a top hat about the relationship either. He actually seems invested in it from the start, as opposed to Vegeta, who seemed to just be there for no real reason for a while with Bulma as far as I can recall it at least. I think Gray and Juvia make a nice couple too, especially now that they're fighting together. I really do wish Gray would take on some of Juvia's personality quirks like she's taken on his propensity to strip at weird times, since that'd make them a more balanced couple as it were. There's also Evergreen and...that big guy who talks about being manly all the time. Also Happy and fish, which is obviously the best ship in the manga.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Elfman, you're talking about Elfman. The middle kid with Mirajane and Lissana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
How could you forget Elfman?

Did anyone notice the foreshadowing between Gray/Juvia before the war started? Gray mentioned he would reveal his feelings after this was over which makes me think one of them might die. Mashima might actually kill someone if this is really the last arc.... but who am I kidding?

• Locked thread