Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone have some Game Of Thrones second edition resources? Just bought the game on sale at my LGS. Played the intro game and it seems very fun so I'm commited to buying into it.

Pinwiz11 posted:

My FLGS is finally moving their GoT day to one I that I can attend, so I wanted to put together a couple of decks. I can find individual decks from various tournaments, but Is there some kind of deck gauntlet out there that I can use as a starting point?

http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/ is a really good GoT podcast. They have a section for tournament winning decks that get submitted: http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/tournaments/winning-decklists-joust/

They also run the Annals of Castle Black: http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/annals/core/ This is good for seeing what people are playing, but don't take it to be revealing what's necessarily the best deck.

There's also thronesDB: http://thronesdb.com/ it's a nice deckbuilder.

There are a couple different forums at cardgamedb and agotcards but their usefulness for anything outside of spoilers and other factual information is suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, always remember the internet said Martell was a terrible faction that needed help to be playable right up until it won Worlds

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

Yeah, always remember the internet said Martell was a terrible faction that needed help to be playable right up until it won Worlds

For Conquest many people said Dark Eldar was the worst faction in the Core until they did quite well at Worlds and other early tournaments - in general I don't think the community is good at quickly evaluating faction/card strength.

The especially funny part in my view was all the people saying "The game is solved, Baratheon is the best, there's no reason to field anything else, tailor your deck only for the Bara mirror because it's the only serious deck in tournaments." Some of them were declaring this even before the core set was out! However, Baratheon widely underperformed in Swiss and didn't make top 8 in Worlds at all if I recall correctly.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 17, 2015

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
To be fair DE got way better after Klaivex and Archon Palace, and to a lesser extent the extra 2-shields.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Fetterkey posted:

For Conquest many people said Dark Eldar was the worst faction in the Core until they did quite well at Worlds and other early tournaments - in general I don't think the community is good at quickly evaluating faction/card strength.

The especially funny part in my view was all the people saying "The game is solved, Baratheon is the best, there's no reason to field anything else, tailor your deck only for the Bara mirror because it's the only serious deck in tournaments." Some of them were declaring this even before the core set was out! However, Baratheon widely underperformed in Swiss and didn't make top 8 in Worlds at all if I recall correctly.

Yep, only 2 Baratheon in the top 16 vs them being 25% of the field. Meanwhile, Targ was 25% of the field and was more than 50% of the cut.

And yeah, there were some people giving the playtesters a ton of grief on the forums (the playtesters were largely well known players and podcasters this time around, like both the champ and runner up). I was pleasantly surprised when Baratheon didn't do so well, although I did expect Targ to do well.

I think that a lot of the ire against Baratheon is that it builds itself out of the box much easier than other decks, it's easy to pilot, it does well against goodstuff.dec that features a lot of expensive guys, and it creates a bit of a non-interactive play experience when it's performing well.

The champ said on a podcast recently that he didn't think that his Martell deck had a big or maybe even any advantage against the meta currently, though. He wanted to make the best Ghaston Grey deck currently possible. There is a pretty good episode of Beyond the Wall that has 3 of the top 4 from Worlds being interviewed: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/beyond-the-wall-season-2-episode-41-r1481

I've been netdecking the ever-loving poo poo out of that Martell/Tyrell deck and it's pretty drat fun. It's definitely inspired me to try some new things in some decks of my own.

Edit: the Facebook agot 2e group is actually decent

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks for the info! I'm going to netdeck to get used to this game. Assuming I should just try Baratheon for now?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks for the info! I'm going to netdeck to get used to this game. Assuming I should just try Baratheon for now?

Baratheon fealty pretty much makes itself, as does Targaryen fealty. Both are pretty solid, although Baratheon fealty is dull as poo poo to play and strips you of learning how to actually attack/defend, since the entire point of the deck is to make a game feel like a solo experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The best advice I've read about starting with AGoT 2.0 deck building is to limit your deck to about 3 characters that cost 5 or more and build around them. You can do 4 if you have plenty of economy cards, but it's a trap to shove a bunch of the big characters into a deck (especially if playing two houses). That one guideline really streamlined all my decks and made them much better.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Greyjoy seems super good with Taking the Black, I'm not sure if I want to run them with Fealty or No Agenda. There are a lot of good neutral cards I want to try out.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bottom Liner posted:

The best advice I've read about starting with AGoT 2.0 deck building is to limit your deck to about 3 characters that cost 5 or more and build around them. You can do 4 if you have plenty of economy cards, but it's a trap to shove a bunch of the big characters into a deck (especially if playing two houses). That one guideline really streamlined all my decks and made them much better.

This makes a lot of sense.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Greyjoy seems super good with Taking the Black, I'm not sure if I want to run them with Fealty or No Agenda. There are a lot of good neutral cards I want to try out.

I'm not sure if Seastone Chair does anything major for Greyjoy except give them an option. It's something I'd like in my hand, but am in no hurry to play necessarily, especially if I go my standard route of rushing with Claim 2s (followed by a Marched to the Wall, as applicable) and trying to out tempo the board state. Game of Thrones completely fucks this plan though because lol winning an intrigue as Greyjoy (unless I happen to draw a Little Bird) and Calm Over Westeros slows it down some.

Seastone Chair sounds like it'd be fantastic in melee though, since the whole Claim 2 all day every day plan doesn't really work there. Also, holy balls is Great Kraken great in melee. The power generation there is insane, since there's usually at least one player you can Stealth through unopposed really easily.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure if Seastone Chair does anything major for Greyjoy except give them an option. It's something I'd like in my hand, but am in no hurry to play necessarily, especially if I go my standard route of rushing with Claim 2s (followed by a Marched to the Wall, as applicable) and trying to out tempo the board state. Game of Thrones completely fucks this plan though because lol winning an intrigue as Greyjoy (unless I happen to draw a Little Bird) and Calm Over Westeros slows it down some.

Seastone Chair sounds like it'd be fantastic in melee though, since the whole Claim 2 all day every day plan doesn't really work there. Also, holy balls is Great Kraken great in melee. The power generation there is insane, since there's usually at least one player you can Stealth through unopposed really easily.

I think choosing which character to kill is super, super good right now, and it's a lot easier to trigger than Put to the Sword considering how easy it can be to get an unopposed mil challenge in Greyjoy. It'll make it simpler to set up big 4-5 power Balon turns.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm correct in assuming that Veteran Builder let's you use The Wall twice at the end of the challenge phase (assuming it was already standing), right? I won a big come from behind victory last night by gaining 7 power with an unopposed power challenge, then using The Wall twice, then getting dominance.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm correct in assuming that Veteran Builder let's you use The Wall twice at the end of the challenge phase (assuming it was already standing), right?

I'm no expert on the rules yet, but I would argue that you can't, since there's no Action Window after the 4.4 step of "Challenge phase ends". You can kneel The Wall at 4.4, but the next point in which you could use the Builder's action to stand it would be at 5.2 during the Dominance phase, after which you wouldn't be able to re-use The Wall since the end of the challenge phase (4.4) is already passed.

Phase numbers taken from page 25 of the Rules Reference.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dang, that sounds correct. We didn't have the rules book on hand to check the action windows, so we allowed it. I assumed it was because The Wall doesn't have a written limit like many other similar cards have.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gaming with friends and my little brother, do I do Ashes, Doomtown, Conquest or Versus? Little bro likes Legendary and is somewhat of a sore loser.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have info on the Vs. relaunch anyways? That hit with very little fanfare.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

One guy in the comic and games shop swears by it, but that's it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Moriatti posted:

Gaming with friends and my little brother, do I do Ashes, Doomtown, Conquest or Versus? Little bro likes Legendary and is somewhat of a sore loser.

VS. is solid but who knows how long it will be supported. Conquest is really good. Doomtown melts my brain. Ashes is MEH.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Do LOTR

speaking of LOTR, i've noticed that using generic FFG tokens on encounter cards with passive effects helps keep track of the game. I use tan for questing effects, red for combat and blue for after combat.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

This.

Also as a megahuge fan of Doomtown, it's a great game. But an unbelievable slog over 3 players. It technically can support any player count over 1, but the length of each game increases exponentially with players. Play it 1v1 or 3 player, but nothing more than that.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ok, I mentioned the theme of Ashes and GoT to him and he seemed very interested in fantasy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I was curious, so I started to look for the top Conquest decks at worlds. Could only find Kith, though, but my google fu is weak.

Kinda surprised by the inclusion of Shadow Field, but everything else looks bog standard. Not sure what it's actually meant to protect against?

I can't help but feel that Empower and Gift of Isha are mostly there for shields, since there aren't really that many Eldar units to use them on, but I guess what's there are pretty great, especially for Isha.

On another note, I feel as if Decree of Ruin has been on that drat boat for loving forever now. What is going on with this release schedule?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 18, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone have reccomendations for a solid solo deck for LOTR? I'm playing on Octgn so sets aren't an issue. I keep trying Dol Guldur with http://teamcovenant.com/gojirazard/2013/01/03/sacrifices-v2-lotr-lcg-solo-deck-leadershipspirit/ but it every single time Eowyn gets captured and all my draws are Spirit cards.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

On another note, I feel as if Decree of Ruin has been on that drat boat for loving forever now. What is going on with this release schedule?

No idea. My friend at Worlds said Brad was saying 2 weeks until release, but there are only a few days left on that coming true and you'd think it'd at least be in distribution by now. FFG has been loving up release schedules all over their lines, from cards to miniatures - SW Armada failed with my group because they botched the release so heavily, and Thrones 2 core sets were heavily delayed after GenCon as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations for a solid solo deck for LOTR? I'm playing on Octgn so sets aren't an issue. I keep trying Dol Guldur with http://teamcovenant.com/gojirazard/2013/01/03/sacrifices-v2-lotr-lcg-solo-deck-leadershipspirit/ but it every single time Eowyn gets captured and all my draws are Spirit cards.

Whenever I played LOTR solo, I still use two decks. I think that's what the game is balanced around, and it makes a huge difference, especially in Dol Guldur since it means you have 5 heroes up and running instead of 2.

Fetterkey posted:

No idea. My friend at Worlds said Brad was saying 2 weeks until release, but there are only a few days left on that coming true and you'd think it'd at least be in distribution by now. FFG has been loving up release schedules all over their lines, from cards to miniatures - SW Armada failed with my group because they botched the release so heavily, and Thrones 2 core sets were heavily delayed after GenCon as well.

It seems particularly bad with Conquest, since Descendants of Isha was released in loving APRIL. And it was half a year for Tyranids. It's just such a baffling release schedule that I'm left wondering wtf is going on.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My best guess is Star Wars related crap is filling up our nerd-thing distribution pipelines

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FFG just kinda sucks at keeping a distribution schedule. I don't know if it's their fault or it's the partners they work with but it happens across every one of their lines.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My best guess is Star Wars related crap is filling up our nerd-thing distribution pipelines

The Star Wars: Armada release delays were the worst of all, though - the original release of that game got delayed, then split into two separate waves, then both of those waves got delayed. This was bad enough that my local group abandoned it - the ship boxes that were supposed to provide variety in listbuilding didn't come out along with the core. Options were extremely limited, and by the time the doubly-delayed "first wave" came out with the stuff that was supposed to be there day one, everyone had already become bored and moved on to other games.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
The release delay already killed Conquest where I live. Tournaments get less than 10 players now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

lotr: does an active side quest blank the normal quest?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

nyxnyxnyx posted:

The release delay already killed Conquest where I live. Tournaments get less than 10 players now.

I was worried about this, but once the Tyranids (finally) came out a lot of new people got into the game and some of the old players who were on the fence got back into it. We have actually been beating/on par with Netrunner for the last few LCG nights at the local store, and people are really hyped for Decree of Ruin too.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 19, 2015

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Baron Porkface posted:

lotr: does an active side quest blank the normal quest?

No. This is especially important (and dickish) in the quests that have encounter card sidequests that gently caress you. There's one quest (I can't remember which one) where there are three sidequests that you can get at once with all ridiculous negative poo poo on them and they all apply no matter which one you're questing on in a particular quest phase.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Fetterkey posted:

The Star Wars: Armada release delays were the worst of all, though - the original release of that game got delayed, then split into two separate waves, then both of those waves got delayed. This was bad enough that my local group abandoned it - the ship boxes that were supposed to provide variety in listbuilding didn't come out along with the core. Options were extremely limited, and by the time the doubly-delayed "first wave" came out with the stuff that was supposed to be there day one, everyone had already become bored and moved on to other games.

Welcome to what it's like being a Star Wars LCG player. It was so nice when that line shipped promptly and on time last cycle.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PaybackJack posted:

Welcome to what it's like being a Star Wars LCG player. It was so nice when that line shipped promptly and on time last cycle.

Yep, my local store's card game wall has Netrunner, Conquest, and now Game of Thrones in big prominent locations, and Star Wars on a bottom shelf around the corner.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yep, my local store's card game wall has Netrunner, Conquest, and now Game of Thrones in big prominent locations, and Star Wars on a bottom shelf around the corner.

That's what mine looks like too. They didn't even have any Lord of the Rings stuff :(

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

JoshTheStampede posted:

As a Star Wars player I really can't recommend anyone get into the game right now even with a new cycle starting. While we have an active little group that plays all the new stuff I don't have faith in them printing a whole cycle of stuff that will really shake things up and this secret objective mechanic is kinda garbage from the looks of it.

It's kind of a shame because I think of the Pod system makes this one of the cheaper games to buy in if you're just looking for building certain decks right out of the gate. But I guess that's really only in comparison to Netrunner which looks impossible to most players that might try to jump into that at this point; however if you had a scene to help ease you into ANR that would smooth that transition quite a bit.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Dunno how you folks felt about Warhammer: Invasion when it was in active development, but this seemed like a good thread to point out that Fantasy Flight's current holiday sale includes almost the entire Invasion product line including every single battle pack and the last three deluxe expansions (the first two may have been included but are now out of stock). $3 for battle packs, $10 for deluxe expansions. You can pick up nearly the entire line for about $135 plus shipping/tax, and they aren't putting out any more (though they will continue to reprint everything they did release), so that will remain a more or less complete set.

(You'll still want a $40 core set and the first two expansions will probably run you ~$20-25 each elsewhere, but still, you'll have gotten the bulk really cheaply.)

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Overseas distribution schedules are now claiming Decree of Ruin will come out in early December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

I've written a Conquest fundamentals article over on CardGameDB covering some basic strategies (in both deckbuilding and gameplay) for doing well in the command struggle. Check it out!