Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Tommychu posted:

Combo Primus/Tool shows are happening again, I need to start a loving separate savings account so that when poo poo like this happens I can jump on a plane and go (because shows like that never happen anywhere near here).

Gwinnett arena Jan 25th. Tickets go on sale Friday. gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Closest to me (in the currently announced tour, anyway) is in Atlanta. God dammit.

I will see them sometime this album cycle though, dammit. I got into them about a month after they finished the 10,000 days tour set and it pisses me off to no end.

And I'm only an extremely casual Primus fan but :swoon:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to replace my router right now or wait until next year, but yeah... it's not 2009, the WRT54G is hot trash.

I was in the screwy/old router boat until recently, I upgraded to this: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/

I immediately threw dd-wrt on it, it's pretty nice. I have a printer setup on 1 of the usb ports so I can print from anywhere, I also setup a no-ip address for DDNS. Best $110 router I've ever purchased.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

keykey posted:

I immediately threw dd-wrt on it, it's pretty nice.

AFAIK dd-wrt is actually a really lovely idea on most recent routers as they still don't have the drivers for proper 802.11n multistream support sorted out, so you'll get WAY better wireless performance on the stock firmware.
YMMV and i haven't looked into this for a while but I know it's definitely the case for AC, but they may have fixed N.

Phone posted:

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to replace my router right now or wait until next year, but yeah... it's not 2009, the WRT54G is hot trash.

2009? the WRT54G hasn't been good since 2007 at best :v: even a $27 with free prime shipping tp-link is exponentially better than a WRT54G, not that I'd recommend the thing to anyone. The Archer C7 is pretty decent though, and the C9 is rad.

Not only does the WRT54G have crappy wifi performance from factory but it also has a tendency to brutally murder its wireless chip over time; the transmit power of the thing just gradually peters out the longer you use it for, making the wifi slower and slower and slower until you just straight up can't connect. DD-WRT can help to some extent as you can go in and manually wind up the TX power, but that just generates more heat and makes it die faster, so you can't win...

Geirskogul posted:

Plugging a generic gigabit wired router + a Unifi AP again. Wired gigabit routers are cheap and robust, and a single unifi is a lot cheaper, by about half, than all-in-one wireless routers with the same thoroughput. Overall it can be less expensive, but enterprise level robust.

I'm a big fan of using a cheap wired router (or even a cheap wireless router with the wifi turned off - Don't do this with a WRT54G, though) and a UniFi AP too, but the configuration can be a bit of a headache for someone who isn't a gigantic nerd or at least a regular nerd with a decent grasp on networking principles, and while Ubiquiti just released a few new awesome models of AP (the UAP-AC-PRO looks especially rad at US$149 RRP) they're not actually available in any reasonable quantity yet despite being released in like August :v: - they're also so much better than the prior models that you really don't want to buy the previous ones, so if you want ubiquiti wifi gear right now you're stuck between a rock and a hard place

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 17, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh hey 9 hours later amd we finally got everything set up correctly. Now I am only 8 hours behind on a live 1-time online course that cost $800...........

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 17, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Enourmo posted:

Closest to me (in the currently announced tour, anyway) is in Atlanta. God dammit.

I will see them sometime this album cycle though, dammit. I got into them about a month after they finished the 10,000 days tour set and it pisses me off to no end.

And I'm only an extremely casual Primus fan but :swoon:

I will be there. I can tentatively offer you a couch to crash on about 30 minutes north of the venue so long as you're not some creepy rear end super goon.

I was super skeptical of the Archer C9. I was a dedicated Netgear guy, but gave it a chance and holy gently caress its great.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

SuperDucky posted:

I was super skeptical of the Archer C9. I was a dedicated Netgear guy, but gave it a chance and holy gently caress its great.

TP-Link used to get a bad rap for reliability and performance back in the day, but they've really stepped their poo poo up starting around the time of the TL-WDR4300.

Netgear stuff is utter trash these days in comparison - absurdly expensive and the 2nd most unreliable brand if my recent 12 month experience on an ISP help desk is anything to go by (it probably is)

Bonus points if you guess who the #1 least reliable router manufacturer is. I'll give you a hint: it's exactly who you think it is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

You should probably just bank on going Intel. I kick myself every day for this drat Phenom X6 processor I bought because more cores = better right? :downs:

Honestly if you compare it against Intel's offerings from that era it wasn't a bad CPU, it was definitely in the "75% of the performance for 50-60% of the price" category that AMD used to be known for.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My new favorite pastime at work is turning the flaming rocket envelope email header into an emoticon and irritating the poo poo out of everyone with it on IM.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

literally a fish posted:

TP-Link used to get a bad rap for reliability and performance back in the day, but they've really stepped their poo poo up starting around the time of the TL-WDR4300.

Netgear stuff is utter trash these days in comparison - absurdly expensive and the 2nd most unreliable brand if my recent 12 month experience on an ISP help desk is anything to go by (it probably is)

Bonus points if you guess who the #1 least reliable router manufacturer is. I'll give you a hint: it's exactly who you think it is.

D-Link?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

:toot: :toot: :toot: DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER :toot: :toot: :toot:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh hey 9 hours later amd we finally got everything set up correctly. Now I am only 8 hours behind on a live 1-time online course that cost $800...........

Online courses can be fantastic but often they're not.

Due to clerical error I've had to sit and resit my asbestos course which would be fine if I could just take the exam, pass within 2 minutes and be on my way. But no, the thing has been designed to run you through a narrated slideshow which takes at best, 2 hours. So for 2 hours I have to sit with headphones half on and wait until the speaking stops in order to move on to the next section of the presentation. 10 sections, multiple parts each, it gets annoying realllllll quick.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

literally a fish posted:

:toot: :toot: :toot: DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER :toot: :toot: :toot:

Yeah, I stopped using D-Link anything when 802.11b was still the best you could get. loving hell that router was a piece of poo poo.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

D-links have always been poo poo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Ubiquiti/UniFi or You-be-quittin/You-may-die. They're the most no-brainer systems and worth every last penny.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My only hesitation for Ubiquiti in his shoes is that he doesn't even have a desktop and I don't know how touch-device-friendly those interfaces are. They are rock loving solid, though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So the Mercedes is gone and I've bought a motorcycle, just in time for winter...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

My only hesitation for Ubiquiti in his shoes is that he doesn't even have a desktop and I don't know how touch-device-friendly those interfaces are. They are rock loving solid, though.

Can be hard to get too. I need a new AP and their Unifi AP AC lite is perfect for my needs, but the only way to current get one is to pay 150% MSRP from a seller on Amazon who is price gouging because it's sold out everywhere else.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Man we got an N300 ~$125 router, around 2013, 99% sure it was a d-link, worked great for a little over 2 years and then bricked. Review for it showed a LOT of people with the same experience, it crapping out shortly after warranty went out. I just replaced it with the old school blue one because I knew it'd work and stay up until I unplugged it. I'll eventually go back to a fast router but really don't notice the difference in bandwidth if I'm not running a test.

E: may have been a little over 1 year, whatever it was it was out of warranty

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 18, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Four years ago, desperate to find ANY full time work having attempted many other fields,I started as a lube tech at Sears with nothing more than a little starter socket set from Auto zone and a filter wrench.
Today I can finally call myself a mechanic, and my tool guys bitch for the next 35 weeks.

Picked her up for 3500 used.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: router chat, I've given up on using consumer grade routers, they all seem to ship with lovely firmware and are seemingly engineered to fail after a few years. Currently running PFsense on a slim form factor HP desktop with an i3 2100, 2GB RAM and a 16 GB SSD salvaged out of a chromebook, which is massively overkill for home use - practically any x86 system from the past 15 years that has dual network interfaces will smoke any non-enterprise router. Add your choice of switch and access point and you have a rock solid stable routing solution that's good enough for an enterprise production environment.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Router chat: I use an AirPort TimeCapsule

It just ~works~ and also lets stream music to the speakers that are plugged into it and backs up my Mac

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://cfileonline.org/exhibition-shannon-goff-miles-to-empty-from-detroit-contemporary-ceramic-art-cfile/

e. Router chat!

My local OSH is moving and they've had a 30% blowout sale so I bought a Craftsman router with a mini router table. It has collets for 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits so now I just need to get a bunch. Pretty soon I'll be throwing together custom cabinets like Adiabatic's wife.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BloodBag posted:

I got the wife an early christmas present. She's been complaining that the magnetic trainer is too easy ever since she got a bike fit and they had a fluid trainer. I got her the jetfluid pro from cycleOps and figured now I can set up my bike on the mag trainer and we can ride together :3:

Behold, the family that cycles together stays together. Also bonus PimPim catte

Hers is the allez, mine's the tribike in the back.

Gotta get a Wahoo Kickr. It is a really amazing trainer that does feel more like real riding than anything else I've tried. That combined with Zwift is going to be my go-to for the Winter.

I used the Kickr and TrainerRoad last Winter, which was fine, but TR gets a bit tiresome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Mechanic injuries: What's your most memorable?

Mines a draw between breaking off a Olfa knife blade in my thumb or the 1" gash in my right palm from a heat shield.

I love days off due to car injuries. drat it. My right palm hurts like hell.

Crushed the snot out of my right thumb when I did the clutch on my wife's Kia. Had to drill a hole in the nail, and eventually lost it (the thumbnail.) Now my iPhone hates that thumb, and doesn't register taps from it half the time.
Probably the worst was when I was changing out the rear springs on my Cutlass and did not notice that I had pulled it back from the wheel chocks while jacking it up, and managed to move the car around enough that the frame slid forward on the jack stands until the stands were under where the frame kicks up for the rearend, which compressed the suspension just enough to trap my right hand between the rear axle and, I believe, the exhaust. Fortunately it hit the chocks before it fully compressed the suspension. Crushed it a bit, massive bruising, and I had a neat furrow across the back of my hand from the brake line running across the axle tube, but no permanent damage. Hurt a lot, and I was scared to death the damned thing would move more and take my hand off or something. At that point, I just pulled my hand out, abrasions be damned. Surprisingly, I didn't lose and skin, just the use of the hand for a couple days. you better believe I check those damned chocks now.

leica posted:

I want Alien Isolation but I'm a scared man baby :smith:

Jesus Christ that game has just about made me yell out loud. I HATE that mother loving Xenomorph. Where the gently caress is my Smart Gun, or at least a Pulse Rifle?

mafoose posted:

I played it at a friend's house with his surround sound headphones and holy poo poo gently caress that game.

If I played that with an oculus I'd probably piss myself.

On the Xbox versions, there's a setting to let the game monitor the Kinect, so you HAVE TO BE QUIET OR THE ALIEN WILL HEAR YOU! gently caress. That. Noise. (pun unintentional.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Gotta get a Wahoo Kickr. It is a really amazing trainer that does feel more like real riding than anything else I've tried. That combined with Zwift is going to be my go-to for the Winter.

I used the Kickr and TrainerRoad last Winter, which was fine, but TR gets a bit tiresome.

I just made the mistake of Googling that. Holy hell bicycle poo poo is expensive. I believe I'll stick to my $150 K-Mart tank, thank you.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
The October 30th floods here in Austin claimed my poor Mustang :smith:

OTOH I now have a CTS-V :unsmith:

gently caress

Is there a thread for them or for full-retard-GM in general yet? :v:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

literally a fish posted:

I'm a big fan of using a cheap wired router (or even a cheap wireless router with the wifi turned off - Don't do this with a WRT54G, though) and a UniFi AP too, but the configuration can be a bit of a headache for someone who isn't a gigantic nerd or at least a regular nerd with a decent grasp on networking principles, and while Ubiquiti just released a few new awesome models of AP (the UAP-AC-PRO looks especially rad at US$149 RRP) they're not actually available in any reasonable quantity yet despite being released in like August :v: - they're also so much better than the prior models that you really don't want to buy the previous ones, so if you want ubiquiti wifi gear right now you're stuck between a rock and a hard place

Mine just showed up today! UniFi AP AC Lite. I never set up the older ones, but this one was dead simple. Run their little app, set a SSID and password, set a admin user and password and your done. I didn't believe it set everything up so I logged in and poked around and everything I want it to do is setup. Never tried setting up the older ones(only admin'd existing ones at work), but I was kinda surprised the setup was as simple as it was. They are still up on amazon right now.

Geoj posted:

Can be hard to get too. I need a new AP and their Unifi AP AC lite is perfect for my needs, but the only way to current get one is to pay 150% MSRP from a seller on Amazon who is price gouging because it's sold out everywhere else.

150%? I think I paid $160 for mine, did I get ripped off? It was cheap enough for me not to care that much since I have been waiting for these to get released for months.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Guys I'm sitting on the tarmac in Miami because someone done goofed with the gates. Hope customs is boring and I can get home soon.

It's a very MIA experience.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Darchangel posted:

I just made the mistake of Googling that. Holy hell bicycle poo poo is expensive. I believe I'll stick to my $150 K-Mart tank, thank you.

It can get really out of hand, especially if you race and have multiple bikes. I probably spent at least $500 on just tires this year.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Negromancer posted:

150%? I think I paid $160 for mine, did I get ripped off? It was cheap enough for me not to care that much since I have been waiting for these to get released for months.

MSRP is $89.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geoj posted:

MSRP is $89.

eh, I'm still OK with my purchase.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Four years ago, desperate to find ANY full time work having attempted many other fields,I started as a lube tech at Sears with nothing more than a little starter socket set from Auto zone and a filter wrench.
Today I can finally call myself a mechanic, and my tool guys bitch for the next 35 weeks.

I had this same realization the other day when I looked at my box and cart together and saw how they were both overflowing with tooks. How full is your box??

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Negromancer posted:

Mine just showed up today! UniFi AP AC Lite. I never set up the older ones, but this one was dead simple. Run their little app, set a SSID and password, set a admin user and password and your done. I didn't believe it set everything up so I logged in and poked around and everything I want it to do is setup. Never tried setting up the older ones(only admin'd existing ones at work), but I was kinda surprised the setup was as simple as it was. They are still up on amazon right now.

RRP on the UAP-AC-Lite is $79US. You got HELLA ripped off. The UAP-AC-PRO is $149US...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

The Archer C7 is pretty decent though, and the C9 is rad.

Even the Archer C5 is a pretty good router; the only gripe I have with mine are the "USB 3.0" ports perform like USB 2.0 when an external hard drive is plugged into them (I get 6-10x the speed by plugging it into a PC and sharing it out).

mariooncrack posted:

College students are savages. They don't just keep the piss and poo poo to the bathrooms. I was an RA for a few years.

Somehow I managed to never get a scolding from an RA, despite some pretty blatant rule violations on my part. Probably helps that my roommate was selling weed to one of the two RAs on our wing+floor (2 wings, 4 floors each) though, and we tended to stay pretty quiet (we were next door to the other RA).

I'm just thankful that building had private or suite bathrooms (depending on the room) instead of community.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Who is the resident Land Rover guy? I exchanged some PMs with years ago and need to pick your brain.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The whole idea of dorms seems so bizarre to me now. UCF has on-campus housing, but unless i'm mistaken they're all just regular apartments that happen to be on school property. Most people just commute, using the woefully undersized parking garages (I've only gone in mornings or late at night so far, but supposedly at peak hours you can circle campus for a half hour looking for an open spot).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SouthsideSaint posted:

I had this same realization the other day when I looked at my box and cart together and saw how they were both overflowing with tooks. How full is your box??

There will be rapid aggressive expansion to fill empty drawers.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Tommychu posted:

Combo Primus/Tool shows are happening again, I need to start a loving separate savings account so that when poo poo like this happens I can jump on a plane and go (because shows like that never happen anywhere near here).

I'm trying to get tickets to the San Diego show. It's gonna be hard with so few shows scheduled so I'll be happy with nosebleed tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

The whole idea of dorms seems so bizarre to me now. UCF has on-campus housing, but unless i'm mistaken they're all just regular apartments that happen to be on school property. Most people just commute, using the woefully undersized parking garages (I've only gone in mornings or late at night so far, but supposedly at peak hours you can circle campus for a half hour looking for an open spot).

Back when dorms were the cheap option compared to lovely apartments in campustown ghettos, it was a good idea. Then schools raised their room and board high enough that it's cheaper to live off campus.

• Locked thread