Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Odette posted:

It can't. Above a certain framerate, the game just falls apart. i.e. while using terminals.
I did notice some weird bugs where I got stuck using a terminal and had to load a savegame. I guess that's why! Didn't notice physics being any wackier than normal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Alright, just purchased the Crossover 2795QHD off of Amazon, hope I get a good one...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Odette posted:

It can't. Above a certain framerate, the game just falls apart. i.e. while using terminals.

God drat it, Bethesda, your engines do some of the weirdest poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

God drat it, Bethesda, your engines do some of the weirdest poo poo.

Frame-rate-locked physics is sadly pretty common in games, though less so than it used to be.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Frame-rate-locked physics is sadly pretty common in games, though less so than it used to be.

Most games handle it a little better than Bethesda's do, to be fair.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dy. posted:

I did notice some weird bugs where I got stuck using a terminal and had to load a savegame. I guess that's why! Didn't notice physics being any wackier than normal though.

At higher fps the game just runs faster though it really doesn't become super noticeable unless you're above 144 fps (like getting up to 250 somehow).

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Can someone suggest a 4K supporting KVM switch, ideally that supports USB 3.0 and has audio support?

silencekit
May 1, 2014

I'm building babby's first computer and I need a monitor recommendation. My build is using this video card.

I'm not looking to blow anybody away. I was hoping to spend between $100 and $150, and I'm looking for something at around 22". What should I take into account?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

silencekit posted:

I'm building babby's first computer and I need a monitor recommendation. My build is using this video card.

I'm not looking to blow anybody away. I was hoping to spend between $100 and $150, and I'm looking for something at around 22". What should I take into account?

At that budget you can get this nice little ASUS 23" IPS panel monitor, it's about the best you're going to find in your price range.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ASUS PG279Q in stock on NewEgg if anyone wants to roll the dice.

Edit: Sold out now.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 18, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KYCSRSG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

BenQ GW2765HT marked down 42% off. Is this a decent deal/good monitor or not worth it? It's going for $488 CAD. Checking for a friend who will be driving it with a 970.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Are there any Gsync monitors out there that have decent reliability? The ones I've seen seem to be a major crapshoot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nodelphi posted:

Are there any Gsync monitors out there that have decent reliability? The ones I've seen seem to be a major crapshoot.

The issue isn't reliability, it's quality control. If you get a good one, it should be good for a very long time.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

ASUS PG279Q in stock on NewEgg if anyone wants to roll the dice.

Edit: Sold out now.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about the different monitor technologies available for 144Hz. I'm stuck between the ASUS PG279Q and the Dell S2716DG.

I've been using a TN ASUS VW266H which is finally dying, so I want to upgrade soon. Considering that the ASUS is only in stock for minutes at a time, I'd like to make a decision so I can buy when I need to. My current monitor has been excellent and I have not had any problem with viewing angles, colors, or response time. Someone raised a point that I hadn't considered about the Dell the other day: with a bigger TN monitor, there will be more area that has a more harsh viewing angle if you maintain the same distance.

IPS would be nice but I'm afraid of playing the whole lottery game to get one without dead pixels and an unacceptable amount of bleed. I realize that most feedback is inherently negative, since pleased people are less likely to complain. What do you goons think? Are the QC issues that much of a gamble? Just how noticable is the IPS glow, backlight bleed, and response time to someone coming from TN? If the $100-200 USD is not a dealbreaker, should grab the ASUS or should I stick with TN and just upgrade my size/resolution/refresh rate?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KYCSRSG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

BenQ GW2765HT marked down 42% off. Is this a decent deal/good monitor or not worth it? It's going for $488 CAD. Checking for a friend who will be driving it with a 970.

I'd get a korean panel like the Crossover 2795 that gets mentioned a lot. I'm not sure what prices will be like in Canada but they're generally nice (caveats about korean panels apply of course).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Please don't spend money on a TN panel in TYOOL 2015 is my opinion.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
32 inch, 4k IPS with gsync from Acer: http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.JX1EE.001

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Propagandist posted:

I'm trying to keep an open mind about the different monitor technologies available for 144Hz. I'm stuck between the ASUS PG279Q and the Dell S2716DG.

I've been using a TN ASUS VW266H which is finally dying, so I want to upgrade soon. Considering that the ASUS is only in stock for minutes at a time, I'd like to make a decision so I can buy when I need to. My current monitor has been excellent and I have not had any problem with viewing angles, colors, or response time. Someone raised a point that I hadn't considered about the Dell the other day: with a bigger TN monitor, there will be more area that has a more harsh viewing angle if you maintain the same distance.

IPS would be nice but I'm afraid of playing the whole lottery game to get one without dead pixels and an unacceptable amount of bleed. I realize that most feedback is inherently negative, since pleased people are less likely to complain. What do you goons think? Are the QC issues that much of a gamble? Just how noticable is the IPS glow, backlight bleed, and response time to someone coming from TN? If the $100-200 USD is not a dealbreaker, should grab the ASUS or should I stick with TN and just upgrade my size/resolution/refresh rate?

Pretty much everyone here will tell you to get an IPS. The glow and whatever are worth dealing with to get the color quality and accuracy of an IPS. Backlight bleed is a defect that you should exchange for, and the response time is like 4ms vs 1ms: not that noticeable.

More importantly, whichever panel type you decide to go with, do not buy that Dell. It's $700 which means that you're going to be paying IPS money for a TN panel. The only real reason to buy a TN is low price so at least get something that's competitive.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

The issue isn't reliability, it's quality control. If you get a good one, it should be good for a very long time.
While at Microcenter I saw that the XB270's have manufacturing dates printed on the box. Supposedly if you get June 2015 or later your chances are much better. I got a September 2015 and it's fine.

Propagandist posted:

Your choice is not the PG279Q or TN. If you are that concerned about QC pick up a XB270 from a place with a good return policy.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My monitor is about 7 years old and only has a VGA port. I've been using a VGA-DVI adaptor to plug it in to my last graphics card. Today I installed my new R9 380, which doesn't have a VGA port, and there's a lot of flickering all over the screen. I tried plugging in my TV with an HDMI cable and there was no flickering that I could see, but it's not a very good TV and I can't really use it as a monitor long term. Do I just need to bite the bullet and finally get around to buying a new monitor, one with a DVI input?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dr Snofeld posted:

My monitor is about 7 years old and only has a VGA port. I've been using a VGA-DVI adaptor to plug it in to my last graphics card. Today I installed my new R9 380, which doesn't have a VGA port, and there's a lot of flickering all over the screen. I tried plugging in my TV with an HDMI cable and there was no flickering that I could see, but it's not a very good TV and I can't really use it as a monitor long term. Do I just need to bite the bullet and finally get around to buying a new monitor, one with a DVI input?

Probably, yeah. The upside is that you can get a good monitor pretty cheap these days and they look a hell of a lot better than they did 7 years ago.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I found another VGA-DVI adapter lying around and replaced the old one, and it seems to be okay now. I think the adaptor was just old as hell. I'll be looking to get a new 1080p monitor some time in the new year anyway, if things go well for me work-wise. I'm not all that bothered about 1440p, certainly not 4k, but I think some games are starting to expect 1080p as a standard now. I got Anno 2205 the other day and the UI text looks like garbage at 1440x900, for example.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I found another VGA-DVI adapter lying around and replaced the old one, and it seems to be okay now. I think the adaptor was just old as hell. I'll be looking to get a new 1080p monitor some time in the new year anyway, if things go well for me work-wise. I'm not all that bothered about 1440p, certainly not 4k, but I think some games are starting to expect 1080p as a standard now. I got Anno 2205 the other day and the UI text looks like garbage at 1440x900, for example.

Yeah, I was going to say it's likely worthwhile to consider an upgrade because even cheap IPS 1080p is a big step up over 1440x900 TN. In the interim you might want to take care to see if the aspect ratio is setting itself properly.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Rexxed posted:

I'd get a korean panel like the Crossover 2795 that gets mentioned a lot. I'm not sure what prices will be like in Canada but they're generally nice (caveats about korean panels apply of course).

Seconding this, I'm in Ontario and bought a 2795QHD and it's perfect, cost was ~460CAD after all import fees & taxes. It was at my door less than a week after ordering, I think it was 4 business days. I spent the extra $10 for a pixel perfect guarantee, which was probably unnecessary but worth it for the peace of mind.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Would people recommend that Korean 2795 over the BenQ GW2765HT if prices are equal?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Would people recommend that Korean 2795 over the BenQ GW2765HT if prices are equal?

That really comes down to how much you care about higher refresh rates. If you want >60Hz get the Crossover, if you don't care and are happy with 60Hz get the BenQ.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I need to get some external monitors for work being driven by rMBPs. They're asking for 27" doing strictly office things so I'd like to get something at x1440 for the extra screen space. Also our preferred vendor is through Amazon. Price isn't TOO much of an issue and what I'm looking at is ASUS PB278Q http://amzn.com/B009C3M7H0 because #1! Anything else I should look at? I was also thinking of maybe suggesting two 24" monitors instead since that is about the same price and everybody loves two monitors.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good monitor for mixed console/pc use in the 175 usd range? Coworker's son is looking at a BenQ RL2455HM, and I'm wondering if that isn't enough budget for a 1080p IPS with good display lag.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

dy. posted:

While at Microcenter I saw that the XB270's have manufacturing dates printed on the box. Supposedly if you get June 2015 or later your chances are much better. I got a September 2015 and it's fine.

Your choice is not the PG279Q or TN. If you are that concerned about QC pick up a XB270 from a place with a good return policy.

Mine is from August 2015 and it's also fine. Microcenter has a 30 day exchange policy.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Krailor posted:

That really comes down to how much you care about higher refresh rates. If you want >60Hz get the Crossover, if you don't care and are happy with 60Hz get the BenQ.

Am I correct in assuming that if I don't have some super computer that will be pumping out 60+ frames on newer games that I wouldn't benefit from above 60Hz? I want to upgrade from my lovely monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236101) but I want to make sure I am going to notice an awesome difference. I imagine just going to an IPS 1440 will be an awesome experience?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Am I correct in assuming that if I don't have some super computer that will be pumping out 60+ frames on newer games that I wouldn't benefit from above 60Hz? I want to upgrade from my lovely monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236101) but I want to make sure I am going to notice an awesome difference. I imagine just going to an IPS 1440 will be an awesome experience?

According to people who have used the higher refresh monitors it also makes a big difference in normal desktop use. Also any older games or lower spec games would benefit. The big disadvantage of the Korean panels is lack of inputs and lovely, lovely stands. The BenQ has a very nice stand and a decent selection of inputs but the stand can be replaced on the Korean one if it's an issue, the input selection your stuck with.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ughhhh. It's more than I'd like to spend but is this considered good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466&ignorebbr=1

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Thats a great monitor, however its Free-sync(AMD only)

Didnt you have a gtx 780?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Slider posted:

Thats a great monitor, however its Free-sync(AMD only)

Didnt you have a gtx 780?

Sigh. This is why I have you guys, I'm a monitor dummy. I'm assuming to utilize the full potential of that monitor I would need an AMD card then?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Sigh. This is why I have you guys, I'm a monitor dummy. I'm assuming to utilize the full potential of that monitor I would need an AMD card then?

Correct. Though Freesync is a software thing so it's not like Nvidia couldn't support it if they wanted to, but :lol: at the chances of that happening.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Any other recommendations for 27" 1440 higher Hz monitor in the $500-600 range?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Any other recommendations for 27" 1440 higher Hz monitor in the $500-600 range?

One of the overclockable Korean ones seems like a good choice for you, you should be able to OC it to 100Hz or so easy which makes a pretty big difference from 60Hz and will be easier to drive than 144Hz or whatever. Also nice and cheap.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

xthetenth posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good monitor for mixed console/pc use in the 175 usd range? Coworker's son is looking at a BenQ RL2455HM, and I'm wondering if that isn't enough budget for a 1080p IPS with good display lag.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-lg-ah-ips.html

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One of the overclockable Korean ones seems like a good choice for you, you should be able to OC it to 100Hz or so easy which makes a pretty big difference from 60Hz and will be easier to drive than 144Hz or whatever. Also nice and cheap.

Would this be the correct one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY37G9139

I'm not afraid to buy it or whatever, I just hate the way it looks. I suppose I could buy a nicer stand for it to make it a bit better. And the plus side is it will save me a bunch of money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Would this be the correct one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY37G9139

I'm not afraid to buy it or whatever, I just hate the way it looks. I suppose I could buy a nicer stand for it to make it a bit better. And the plus side is it will save me a bunch of money!

Yeah, I believe that is the right one, it says it only OCs to 70Hz but I've never heard of someone getting one that won't do at least 96Hz. And yeah, the stand is terrible but IIRC it's got mounting holes for VESA mounts so you could just get a VESA compatible stand and use that instead.