Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
semi-related to Quadro/Tesla chat:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

A family member is an engineer bringing her new workstation into a seat of SolidWorks. Solidworks only certifies Quadros and FirePros :v: Is there a Titan-esque solution for SolidWorks on a 1440p monitor so that she isn't paying out the nose for possibly excessive features? She needs to work on dozens of unique part assemblies at the same time.

e: should I be looking at an AMD solution instead?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

xthetenth posted:

Anything short of HDMI 2 can't do 3440x1440@60 Hz, and I'm pretty sure the U3415W doesn't have an HDMI 2 in.

Tech Specs from Dell:

Connectivity
1 HDMI(vr2.0) connector
1 MHL connector
1 Mini DisplayPort
1 DisplayPort (version 1.2)
1 DisplayPort out (MST)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

A family member is an engineer bringing her new workstation into a seat of SolidWorks. Solidworks only certifies Quadros :v: Is there a Titan-esque solution for SolidWorks on a 1440p monitor so that she isn't paying out the nose for possibly excessive features? She needs to work on dozens of unique part assemblies at the same time.

Seems the only thing you lose with an uncertified card is the "RealView" high quality preview rendering. If they really care that much you can fiddle with the registry to force it to work on any card.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My 660Ti is starting to show it's age so I don't know if I can wait for Pascal so is the 970 the only worthwhile upgrade at the moment or is Nvidia going to release a new card to counter AMD's $249 380X?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

repiv posted:

Seems the only thing you lose with an uncertified card is the "RealView" high quality preview rendering. If they really care that much you can fiddle with the registry to force it to work on any card.

Thanks Dassault Systèmes :downs:

What types and flavors of performance should I be looking for in a consumer card if I'm shopping for bang for the buck, then? It's been a bit difficult trying to find the most current and relevant SolidWorks benchmarks that contain desktop cards.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's been a bit difficult trying to find the most current and relevant SolidWorks benchmarks that contain desktop cards.

If you find a Quadro card that would fit the bill for her work you can easily correlate it back to a GeForce card with the same hardware.

For example the Quadro K5000 uses the GK104 chip, which in consumer land is a GTX 770.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You're definitely speaking my language now. I can pick out a consumer card with confidence, that's for sure.

Idly, I don't find any fault in the logic that consumer cards are workstation cards with a few features disabled, but why are a lot of them (OG Titan included) posted so low in a lot of benchmarks? Is there some kind of OpenGL-oriented optimization that I'm missing, for example?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, you're right. I forgot that GeForce cards conveniently get crushed by physically identical Quadro cards when using certain obsolete rendering techniques only used today in CAD programs. Seems to be something similar going on with AMD as well.

Not sure what to suggest now, except bend over and buy a Quadro or FirePro :homebrew:

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 17, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

I'm dabbling with CUDA a bit right now and considering asking for a few 1000€ to spend on a system with a GPU. I've noticed there seems to be this three-fold split in NVIDIA's offerings: GeForce is for gamers and the Titan costs 1000 or so, then you have Quadro which starts at like 2000 for something that seems, numbers wise, much worse than a Titan, and then you have Tesla, which is the price of a car. I'm wondering, how much am I short-selling our total efforts by considering a 12GB Titan over a Tesla?
The goal is to run CUDA stuff for science, neural networks and FFT mostly.

This also influences on if we want a rack-mounted monstrosity with hundreds of GB of RAM and Xeons and poo poo hidden far away from living human beings, or a tower with an i7 sitting in a remote corner of someone's office.
It depends a lot upon your kind of neural network and whether you need double precision badly or not. I'm just doing convolutions rather than recurrent and it tends to be a bit piggy with memory on the sort of use cases I want (video processing with high dimensional features and an embarrassing number of transforms and layers that are likely doing jack all), but many people do perfectly fine on just a GTX 970 and just deal with single precision. I'm recently hobbled through a quick POC that got choked on the GTX 970's 3.5 GB / 4GB memory split which isn't a problem with gaming but is a problem if you are using a lot of RAM in the pathological case of deep convolutional neural nets with a lot of transforms like mine. So my use case is one of the unfortunate ones that warrants a Titan X or above and is where I'll probably just go use AWS GPU instances until Pascal is released next year. Teslas are almost an order magnitude better for a bit more than 12x the price basically and it shouldn't be considered unless you are thinking about compute density in a data center or are using it in a serious professional scenario like a research lab for scientists, for example, in my opinion. If your organization is just dabbling around and doesn't have a long-term bet of some sort on GPU based computing, Teslas are a Bad Idea IMO.

But there's more info on the justifications of why a Titan X is probably best overall and that if you're dipping your toes a GTX 970 will likely be fine http://timdettmers.com/2014/08/14/which-gpu-for-deep-learning/

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

My 660Ti is starting to show it's age so I don't know if I can wait for Pascal so is the 970 the only worthwhile upgrade at the moment or is Nvidia going to release a new card to counter AMD's $249 380X?

Hard to say until we get the 380x reviewed with the new Crimson drivers. IF they improved DX11 performance substantially it would be a reasonable 1080p card, but that's a big if.
Nvidia don't need to do anything. Just pay that 60$ more, you know you want to :pedo:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Is there a certain price at which the 390 is better than the 970? Someone I know is offloading one in favor of a 980Ti so...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spasticColon posted:

Fast, cheap, lots of VRAM: pick two.
  • B-stock 780 Ti - $180
  • B-stock 970 - $225
  • Used/refurb 290X - $250
  • MSI 390X - $365 AR
  • B-stock 980 - $360
  • Used/refurb 295x2 - $450
  • Sale or B-stock 980 Ti - $550
There's some really fast cards out there for cheap if you're willing to settle for a refurb card with 3 GB or 4 GB of VRAM. If you're willing to OC, the 970 in particular is a fantastic deal. 3-4 GB isn't going to be fully future-proof for 1440p/4K play (unless DX12 SFR works out really well). But if you're going to upgrade anyway when Pascal comes out, 3-4 GB of VRAM will hold you over just fine. Things that need more than 4GB tend to need the power of a 980 Ti SLI before they hit playable framerates anyway.

The 980 Ti absolutely crushes the high-end market though. You need a pretty hefty pair of cards to compete with it, other cards have much more limited VRAM, and you have to be getting them for less than $450 a pair or so in order to make the pain of CF/SLI worthwhile. That's a pretty narrow field - in my opinion it doesn't make sense to SLI anything but B-stock 780 Tis, 970s, 980 Tis, or running a 295x2 (if you can still find one for a decent price).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 17, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Seamonster posted:

Is there a certain price at which the 390 is better than the 970? Someone I know is offloading one in favor of a 980Ti so...

I'd say $240-ish is that cutoff, assuming that thing has transferable warranty. 290s/390s are pretty decent cards, don't let the haters get you down. Keep in mind a B-stock EVGA 970 is probably the best value of all, but 1 year of warranty is a kick in the teeth.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Seamonster posted:

Probably not one that he won't feel lowballed on.

You can get custom-coolered 290's new for $225 or less if you watch around, and the full-on 290X with a custom cooler for less than $250 every now and then. The 390 is just a pre-overclocked 290 with extra VRAM, if you were going to overclock it anyway it performs the same. A new 390 has been starting to dip below $300. You can get B-stock 970s for $225 and then overclock them like crazy.

The fair market value of a used 290 is about $200, tops. If it's reference cooled, knock some extra off that. 390s are probably $250ish used, but they're not really worth it. Any higher than $200 and it's probably just better to buy a B-stock 970 and call it a day.

That's probably going to make him think you're trying to rip him off, but the reality is that the 390 is an overpriced card for idiots. At the end of the day, it's the same silicon as a 290 for way more money, and the extra VRAM does pretty much nothing. You don't have to bail him out just because he made a bad purchase.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd say $240-ish is that cutoff, assuming that thing has transferable warranty. 290s/390s are pretty decent cards, don't let the haters get you down. Keep in mind a B-stock EVGA 970 is probably the best value of all, but 1 year of warranty is a kick in the teeth.

The 290 is a decent enough card, definitely. It's just sorta drifted from the penultimate card down into the midrange performance tier. The R9 280 is a decent enough card too, but you can't charge 7950 prices for it anymore either.

Also the 390 is hilariously overpriced gimmick card. A card with midrange performance, with 8 GB of VRAM, and priced like a high-end card - who exactly are they targeting with that? Anything that needs the VRAM is going to be a slideshow, and Crossfiring them is just lighting a pile of money on fire for the hell of it.

For the price of a new 390 you are edging really close to a B-stock 980, which will kick its teeth in. The 980 will even outperform a 390X, it overclocks like crazy, it uses much less power, and it's cheaper to boot. The 390 really needs to be down around $250 and the 390X at $325. Not refurbs or super-sales, regular retail pricing. That would make it an appealing midrange buy.

Honestly I wonder when NVIDIA is going to tell EVGA to knock it the gently caress off with the B-stock firesales, that store is just absurdly good value for the money. 1-year warranty isn't that bad - equipment tends to follow the bathtub failure curve. Either it'll fail the day you plug it in, or it'll fail in 5 years when the fan grinds to a halt on the shattered remains of what used to be a ball bearing.

e: Also, the Vanilla Fury is drifting below $500 now, and even that's a better idea than a 390/x, or a CrossFire 390 setup.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 17, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Either it'll fail the day you plug it in, or it'll fail in 5 years when the fan grinds to a halt on the shattered remains of what used to be a ball bearing.

Doesn't this apply to most computer parts anyway? I've never really had anything that failed within it's warranty period and most stuff I've had to run it into the ground intentionally to break it, hell my friend is still using a 7 year old VX550 I gave him that is apparently powering a 770 and Phenom II 1055 without any hiccups.

I guess maybe RAM?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've had a couple of displays go in the 1-2 year range. Some platter drives too, I think.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
This is your weekly scheduled reminder not to buy old EVGA 970's with -297x- model numbers (listed since Sept 2014 on Amazon), only -397x- (Jan 2015)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sauer kraut posted:

This is your weekly scheduled reminder not to buy old EVGA 970's with -297x- model numbers (listed since Sept 2014 on Amazon), only -397x- (Jan 2015)

Erm, I don't know this one. What's the deal with those models? The crappy ACX 2.0 cooler? Fewer VRM phases?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FaustianQ posted:

Doesn't this apply to most computer parts anyway? I've never really had anything that failed within it's warranty period and most stuff I've had to run it into the ground intentionally to break it, hell my friend is still using a 7 year old VX550 I gave him that is apparently powering a 770 and Phenom II 1055 without any hiccups.

I guess maybe RAM?

Cables can, generally things where accumulated wear is a major issue.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I just bought a 980Ti, and holy poo poo, this card is insane. I've always bought bang-for-your-buck cards (8800GTS -> 8800GT -> 560Ti). The highest-end card I've ever owned was a 7800GT. This time I decided to try out a modern high-end card. I only have a 1080p monitor so this thing absolutely crushes everything I can throw at it.

Any recommendations on games I should try that would push this card? I've avoided playing most recent games because it's just frustrating to get anything modern to run at a decent framerate and look palatable on a 560Ti.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 17, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Erm, I don't know this one. What's the deal with those models? The crappy ACX 2.0 cooler? Fewer VRM phases?

Yeah it's the crooked cooler. Those drat cards still pop up everywhere, B-stock of course but also new on Amazon.

-Inu- posted:

I just bought a 980Ti, and holy poo poo, this card is insane. I've always bought bang-for-your-buck cards (8800GTS -> 8800GT -> 560Ti). The highest-end card I've ever owned was a 7800GT. This time I decided to try out a modern high-end card. I only have a 1080p monitor so this thing absolutely crushes everything I can throw at it.

Any recommendations on games I should try that would push this card? I've avoided playing most recent games because it's just frustrating to get anything modern to run at a decent framerate and look palatable on a 560Ti.

Push a 980ti at FullHD? The Witcher 3 with Nvidia HairWorks and everything cranked up would be happy to oblige.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 17, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

repiv posted:

Welp, you're right. I forgot that GeForce cards conveniently get crushed by physically identical Quadro cards when using certain obsolete rendering techniques only used today in CAD programs. Seems to be something similar going on with AMD as well.

Not sure what to suggest now, except bend over and buy a Quadro or FirePro :homebrew:

oh

:rip: thanks for the thoughts though. K2200 or M4000 it is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

oh

:rip: thanks for the thoughts though. K2200 or M4000 it is.

If you're completely insane, you can apparently flash a bios and/or solder a jumper on the 780ti to turn it into a full Quadro K6000. Obviously a bad idea for work but I still want to see someone try it so I can live vicariously :)

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can get custom-coolered 290's new for $225 or less if you watch around, and the full-on 290X with a custom cooler for less than $250 every now and then. The 390 is just a pre-overclocked 290 with extra VRAM, if you were going to overclock it anyway it performs the same. A new 390 has been starting to dip below $300. You can get B-stock 970s for $225 and then overclock them like crazy.

Honestly I wonder when NVIDIA is going to tell EVGA to knock it the gently caress off with the B-stock firesales, that store is just absurdly good value for the money. 1-year warranty isn't that bad - equipment tends to follow the bathtub failure curve.

I actually just sold my 980ti and got an MSI Gaming 290x off eBay for $220 shipped with a best offer. I have a 2560x1080 monitor with Freesync so this seemed a lot more appropriate. Thought that was a great deal but the card showed up with red vertical lines even in the bios. Though, MSI accepted the RMA and I should have a good one back any day now.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 17, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

If you're completely insane, you can apparently flash a bios and/or solder a jumper on the 780ti to turn it into a full Quadro K6000. Obviously a bad idea for work but I still want to see someone try it so I can live vicariously :)

If it's anything like the process to hack a Fermi card into a quadro, it involves removing SMD resistors and soldering on new ones because the PCI device IDs are determined by four resistors and the amount of resistance each one provides determines each hex digit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Kazinsal posted:

If it's anything like the process to hack a Fermi card into a quadro, it involves removing SMD resistors and soldering on new ones because the PCI device IDs are determined by four resistors and the amount of resistance each one provides determines each hex digit.

That's exactly what I ended up reading on non-Titan Kepler gaming cards once I looked into it out of curiosity, although the post was before the 780/780ti came out.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Zero VGS posted:

I actually just sold my 980ti and got an MSI Gaming 290x off eBay for $220 shipped with a best offer. I have a 2560x1080 monitor with Freesync so this seemed a lot more appropriate. Thought that was a great deal but the card showed up with red vertical lines even in the bios. Though, MSI accepted the RMA and I should have a good one back any day now.
MSI warranty service is really good from personal experience so they should set you up right, though I'd be pissed at that seller.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

repiv posted:

The exception being Titans, which are marketed as consumer cards but don't have their FP64 performance artificially reduced. Original Titans, Titan Blacks and Titan Zs are the poor mans

w...wait a second

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deuce posted:

w...wait a second

Relatively speaking, yes :v:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Right now I have an i5-2500K, 8gb RAM, GTX 560 TI, and this motherboard system that I put together in 2011. I'm looking to upgrade (edit: to a new desktop) next year, but would like to jump to a 4k monitor ASAP on this system. I'm wondering if there's a graphics card I can upgrade to that would allow me to play low/medium requirements games (like Diablo 3) smoothly at 4k. Money isn't really a huge object, but obviously I don't want to waste it either. What are my general options, if any?

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 18, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

clamiam45 posted:

Right now I have an i5-2500K, 8gb RAM, GTX 560 TI, and this motherboard system that I put together in 2011. I'm looking to upgrade (edit: to a new desktop) next year, but would like to jump to a 4k monitor ASAP on this system. I'm wondering if there's a graphics card I can upgrade to that would allow me to play low/medium requirements games (like Diablo 3) smoothly at 4k. Money isn't really a huge object, but obviously I don't want to waste it either. What are my general options, if any?

There's actually quite a few cards that can run stuff like diablo 3 playably at 4k, it's when you get to higher end stuff like the witcher 3 where poo poo gets messy and expensive.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

cat doter posted:

There's actually quite a few cards that can run stuff like diablo 3 playably at 4k, it's when you get to higher end stuff like the witcher 3 where poo poo gets messy and expensive.

Cool, thanks for the info. Not surprisingly, I haven't been able to find any "We put a one year old graphics card into a four year old system to benchmark low-requirements game at absurd resolutions" scenario article, so I'm not sure what to order honestly. What cards in particular ought I to look at?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

clamiam45 posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. Not surprisingly, I haven't been able to find any "We put a one year old graphics card into a four year old system to benchmark low-requirements game at absurd resolutions" scenario article, so I'm not sure what to order honestly. What cards in particular ought I to look at?

I'd look for B stock nvidia stuff like the 970 or 980 or a used R9 290/x.

The AMD cards in particular thrive at higher resolutions and will in some cases quite comfortably beat the nvidia stuff, but the B stock cards can be absurdly cheap.

If your i5 2500k is overclocked to hell it's not an issue, and if you're running stuff at 4k you're probably targeting a lower framerate which ultimately means less load on the CPU anyway.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah it's the crooked cooler. Those drat cards still pop up everywhere, B-stock of course but also new on Amazon.

Hahahah, I remember there being a stink about it but holy lolly

So there's literally a heatpipe that's not even in contact with the die, and EVGA knew it right from the start (as shown by the circled heatpipe which they didn't even bother putting fluid in).

Meanwhile MSI and everyone else just used a heatspreader like normal.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Speaking of new cards performing in old systems, digital foundry had an interesting look at how CPUs have evolved by comparing the i5 2500k at stock and the new skylake i3 6100, they also challenge the conventional wisdom concerning RAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwB1KRMpFdw

I don't really get the use of v-sync in the tests but their whole gimmick is real-use case scenarios.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cat doter posted:

Speaking of new cards performing in old systems, digital foundry had an interesting look at how CPUs have evolved by comparing the i5 2500k at stock and the new skylake i3 6100, they also challenge the conventional wisdom concerning RAM.

I don't really get the use of v-sync in the tests but their whole gimmick is real-use case scenarios.

Intel hasn't really made any generational leaps since Sandybridge, it's just the usual 5% here, 10% there stuff, along with a faster stock speed out of the box. OC'd Sandybridge keeps up very well for most stuff. It's a lot like the 290->390 maneuver - they wrung a little more out of the silicon out of the box and improved some stuff around the edges but it's nothing to really compel an upgrade. Unlike AMD, though, Intel actually did upgrade their silicon.

Intel had a major marketing blitz with Skylake - all the review sites ran a "time to upgrade from sandybridge?" feature in their review. Intel did it because Sandy is really the only architecture that you're even going to notice the performance increase on.

The one exception is the iGPU. If you're running iGPU for graphics or you're betting on DX12 making good use of the iGPU for SLI/CF frame compositing, Skylake is a good idea. Note that it doesn't support Freesync/G-sync, so if you want to use either of those you can pass right over Skylake. Freesync won't be in Intel's iGPUs until Kabylake.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 18, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

It's felt like intel has been trying to get back to sandy bridge since it came out, which isn't really surprising because it's kind of incredible. That video demonstrated that to me in a really eye opening way, I did a 'wait that 2500k is at stock?!' double take after watching it.

If you're not on the bleeding edge of GPUs, a comfortably overclocked i5 2500k is still a really, really good CPU.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
BTW, Fury is actually at a price that makes it worth it.

With the discount and the game, you might snag the card for 440-460$.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cat doter posted:

This really makes me feel smug about my 2500k purchase so many years ago.

I wish I could put it on water cooling and move it to my next build, but I kinda want a modern MB and all the features that come with.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

cat doter posted:

I'd look for B stock nvidia stuff like the 970 or 980 or a used R9 290/x.

The AMD cards in particular thrive at higher resolutions and will in some cases quite comfortably beat the nvidia stuff, but the B stock cards can be absurdly cheap.

If your i5 2500k is overclocked to hell it's not an issue, and if you're running stuff at 4k you're probably targeting a lower framerate which ultimately means less load on the CPU anyway.

OK, so my game plan is cruise EVGA B Stock website for 970, 980 and Ebay for R9 290 and R9 290X? Sounds good if so, thanks.

Edit:

sauer kraut posted:

So looking through GTX 970 B stock, should I go with what I guess is an even older 04G-P4-1972-RX or 04G-P4-1970-RX? Or wait for a newer 397x model? I'm not familiar with how often B stock is refreshed.

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Is there a European equivalent of these B-stock sales? Getting a new 970 sets me back anywhere from €350,- to €400,- which seems a bit much to pay for them right now. I tried buying one used from the local auction site but got hosed and lost my money, so I'm rather eerie about buying used now... And I think I'd get hosed on shipping/import fees if I order through the regular B-stock site.