Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been reading the Iliad and was struck by how useless armor seems to be. Everything penetrates right through it and yet as soon as someone drops, everyone scrambles to strip the armor off of their opponent.

I know it's not straight history at all, but I'm assuming the depictions of warfare aren't too unbelievable, so what gives? If armor sucked so much, why wear it and why was it considered such a great spoil?

'This dude hit this other dude and chopped his arm off' is more entertaining in a story than 'this dude hit this other dude and his sword bounced right off' maybe? Like, you'd only talk about the blows that actually mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Even armor that doesn't do anything for certain sorts of blows can still protect you in other ways.

Think of it like how the smart thing to do when riding a motorcycle is to have a good helmet and some rugged clothes on. It won't do much for you if a semi-truck slams you into a wall, but it can save your life if you simply lose balance on the bike or hit a large pothole that sends you flying.

When you're in a war, you're gonna grab some extra armor if you can manage it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

some armor is better than no armor, especially if it is covering the vitals in the torso. A relatively weak, glancing blow to the stomach that might otherwise be turned aside by even light armor could still gut you, and any penetrating wound to the bowls would lead to a slow and unpleasant death. On the other hand, people have been able to treat relatively bad cuts and broken bones for a really long time, at least well enough to have them not be a death sentence.

Also, armor was expensive as gently caress. For your average farmer taking home a couple of suits of armor could be a major windfall.

edit: the partial protection thing is still an issue with modern body armor, incidentally. Your average soft body armor that a police officer wears isn't going to stop a rifle round in any conditions, and it will be defeated by magnum pistol rounds at close range. Still, a bunch of the people who might shoot at you are packing normal pistol rounds and its worth the discomfort to not get killed by some idiot with a .22. In that sort of thing "partially effective" is a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 17, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Also, no armor is perfect or invulnerable. Being a good fighter meant knowing the weaknesses of your own armor and fighting in such a way to minimize your vulnerability, while also knowing where your enemy was weak and striking at the opportune moment.

Bad fighters expose themselves despite their armor, and get cut down quickly by good fighters. In the Iliad, particularly, bad fighters "deserve" to die because they are not protecting themselves properly. Hence, the tragedy of the death of Achilles - the greatest warrior of them all, laid low by a random arrow hitting him in a weird, trivial place.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A while ago I managed to get "Bill, Joseph Howland, “Notes on Arrow Wounds,” American Journal of Medical Sciences, 154, 1892, p. 366", according to his data, 100% of the hits to the abdomen were lethal to the patient. Upper torso comes after that, with a fatal rate of about 50%.

Heads getting lost in the wound or stuck in bone, that's when things get really messy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's neither weird nor trivial, it was fated to happen and before he left he was told that he had the choice of a long life spent in complete anonymity or dying young and getting immortal fame

he chose the second because anonymity's for chumps

this is one reason why some people think that--if they were written by individual people instead of an oral tradition--the odyssey and the iliad might have been written by different people, because i would rather be a slave on earth than king among the breathless dead is so out of character for him

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

it's neither weird nor trivial, it was fated to happen and before he left he was told that he had the choice of a long life spent in complete anonymity or dying young and getting immortal fame

this is one reason why some people think that--if they were written by individual people instead of an oral tradition--the odyssey and the iliad might have been written by different people, because i would rather be a slave on earth than king among the breathless dead is so out of character for him

Hades just sucks that much

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

It was weird and trivial to the other characters in the book who didn't know the legend. Shooting your opponents in the heel was not a general combat technique. Readers would know the legend, but the idea of a great hero being killed by a shot to the heel would seem quite ironic. Greeks loved their heroes to have odd fatal weaknesses.

There's a reason the idiom "Achille's Heel" exists.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

It was weird and trivial to the other characters in the book who didn't know the legend. Shooting your opponents in the heel was not a general combat technique. Readers would know the legend, but the idea of a great hero being killed by a shot to the heel would seem quite ironic. Greeks loved their heroes to have odd fatal weaknesses.

There's a reason the idiom "Achille's Heel" exists.

It's because Achilles' mom didn't want to get her hands dirty.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been reading the Iliad and was struck by how useless armor seems to be. Everything penetrates right through it and yet as soon as someone drops, everyone scrambles to strip the armor off of their opponent.

I know it's not straight history at all, but I'm assuming the depictions of warfare aren't too unbelievable, so what gives? If armor sucked so much, why wear it and why was it considered such a great spoil?

Today's version of Homer would be The Avengers: superhumans doing superhuman things

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

BurningStone posted:

Today's version of Homer would be The Avengers: superhumans doing superhuman things

The first literary work of note is about Gilgamesh, who is (if I may be concise) a superhuman. It's less known than Homerian heroes, because Homer is studied by hundreds of thousands of pupils each year in Europe and elsewhere in the world.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when cuchulainn went super saiyan blood shot out his eyes, it was pretty sweet

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cippalippus posted:

The first literary work of note is about Gilgamesh, who is (if I may be concise) a superhuman. It's less known than Homerian heroes, because Homer is studied by hundreds of thousands of pupils each year in Europe and elsewhere in the world.

You guys don't read the Epic of Gilgamesh in school?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Not in the original language, unlike Homer. Not everyone learns ancient Greek, but it's mandatory in the Liceo Classico.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cippalippus posted:

Not in the original language, unlike Homer. Not everyone learns ancient Greek, but it's mandatory in the Liceo Classico.
homeric? we did sophocles instead

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I used to think this, but the book I just read (Babylon) totally changed my views. I had no idea how much really interesting Sumerian writing there is, and I don't know where I learned that it's all boring tax poo poo but it's so wrong. The stuff the author was quoting was the most engaging writing I've ever seen from the ancient world, and I'm looking for more books that quote it extensively.

On language chat, for classics at most places you need to know Latin and Greek, plus two of these modern languages: English, French, German, Italian.

What was the name and the author of that book? Just trying to search for Babylon unfortunately turns up quite a lot of books!

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

homeric? we did sophocles instead

In the Italian Liceo Classico you have to do 5 years of Latin and Greek, both grammar and literature. I think something similar happens in Germany in the Gymnasium.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I quite enjoyed Gilgamesh; it's quite readable and short enough to finish in an evening. Is it reasonable to think that there were other stories like it that just haven't survived?

I was never made to read any Homer, let alone Gilgamesh in school, for what it's worth. I'm from the States.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cippalippus posted:

In the Italian Liceo Classico you have to do 5 years of Latin and Greek, both grammar and literature. I think something similar happens in Germany in the Gymnasium.

In Germany you can opt for different general programs, in Baden-Württemberg at least anyway. Studying the classics is not a given if you chose the science or modern languages focus.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I quite enjoyed Gilgamesh; it's quite readable and short enough to finish in an evening. Is it reasonable to think that there were other stories like it that just haven't survived?

I was never made to read any Homer, let alone Gilgamesh in school, for what it's worth. I'm from the States.

Yeah, Gilgamesh is not a struggle to get through. It is a bit annoying that various bits are still a bit sketchy due to the limits of what we've recovered though.

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 17, 2015

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Cippalippus posted:

In the Netherlands its 6 years Latin, 5 years Greek. Unfortunately the first 3,5 years of Latin is spend reading Latin that is constructed by the writers of the lesson books to explain grammar. Afterwards students cannot read any real Latin, so the next 2,5 years is spend learning that. :downs:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Munin posted:

In Germany you can opt for different general programs, in Baden-Württemberg at least anyway. Studying the classics is not a given if you chose the science or modern languages focus.

Works the same in Serbia. I took the science-oriented program in a gymnasium. (50% dropout rate in my class in the first year. University is genuinely easier than that. :v: We like our education as brutal as possible) Only had Latin for a year, never touched Greek. The one year of Latin was surprisingly useful because, while I understand very little on my own, it gives me a very good idea where to start looking for and what I need to pay attention to in a translation.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't remember it being that bad, there's definitely lots of talk of shields blocking spears, and when Achilles kills Hector it's specifically described as him being almost completely protected and Achilles aims for the small vulnerable spot in his neck. So it's him being awesome not the armour being poo poo.

Anyway, they're prestige items rather than purely functional - when Achilles gets new armour made by the gods we get a description of the intricate decorative carving rather than just "it's a really good shield, blocks anything". Plus there' solid gold armour (obviously bullshit but makes the point that they have value beyond function). This makes sense in the context of all the talk about blinged out tripods and cauldrons and poo poo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
did you just spoiler a 2,700 year old text

i mean, it's been around so long the movie's even come out

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

Does anyone know much about the concept of the afterlife in Homer-era? I remember there's a bit about seeing Herakles in Hades - but obviously it's only his shade, his spirit is up on Olympus. Did they have a coherent differentiation? Is it "really" Achilles they meet or some sort of lovely ghost that's not really his true spirit?

Anyway it doesn't seem all that weird to me - isn't most of the Odyssey the survivors of Troy sitting around going "oh my god literally everyone I know is dead, was this remotely worth it?"

Edit: yes I did, BUT it was in jest

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Magnus Manfist posted:

Does anyone know much about the concept of the afterlife in Homer-era? I remember there's a bit about seeing Herakles in Hades - but obviously it's only his shade, his spirit is up on Olympus. Did they have a coherent differentiation? Is it "really" Achilles they meet or some sort of lovely ghost that's not really his true spirit?

Anyway it doesn't seem all that weird to me - isn't most of the Odyssey the survivors of Troy sitting around going "oh my god literally everyone I know is dead, was this remotely worth it?"

Even in the Iliad there's a fair amount of 'loving hell this is stupid.'

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnus Manfist posted:

Homeric afterlife is a mess. There seem to be competing ideas -- the idea of restless dead, the kind many cultures fear and seek to contain/mollify/ward off with proper burial, and the idea of the passive dead, going into a big, grey, dull, mindless, joyless bin. Semi-divine people get a more tailored experience, usually not in a good way.

If you mean what Homer's audience thought, good luck.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

homullus posted:

Homeric afterlife is a mess. There seem to be competing ideas -- the idea of restless dead, the kind many cultures fear and seek to contain/mollify/ward off with proper burial, and the idea of the passive dead, going into a big, grey, dull, mindless, joyless bin. Semi-divine people get a more tailored experience, usually not in a good way.

If you mean what Homer's audience thought, good luck.

Yeah. I mean there is even an extensive literature about the degree to which ancient Greeks even believed in their own myths and religion, and its a messy and contested topic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Given we're missing like three quarters of the Epic cycle to which the Iliad and Odyssey belong, which is newer and which people cared about more consistently over the last two millennia, definitely.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's definitely not straight history :quagmire:

I also read it a while ago, and my take from it is that armor worked only when it made the scene more dramatic, just like in today's movies. For example some hits penetrated armor but were deflected by belt buckle.

also

my dad posted:

I love the bow posts. :allears:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munin posted:

Yeah, Gilgamesh is not a struggle to get through. It is a bit annoying that various bits are still a bit sketchy due to the limits of what we've recovered though.

Wasn't a good chunk of the missing text found recently?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Yeah. I mean there is even an extensive literature about the degree to which ancient Greeks even believed in their own myths and religion, and its a messy and contested topic.

Some things seem pretty absolute, others pretty fuzzy. We have records of the sanctity of Delphi and, most especially, the need to recover fallen bodies and having huge political/foreign relations implications.

On the other hand, the castration of the Hermes seems to have been understood by at least Thucy as pretty much pretext for political maneuvering. On the other other hand, we can thus infer that 'you hosed with our statues' was a big enough deal to get a guy axed. Ditto Thucy's attitude towards taking omens before battles. He's pretty snide about the whole thing, but he's snide because people throw away good chances for victory because of what entrails told them. And guys like Xenophon are like 'oh yeah, that guy, terrible general, attacked when the omens were bad.' These things were, it seems, as true as gravity to a lot of them.

On the other hand, 'fanfics' of Homer or reworking a myth to honor your city/family whatever was kinda par for the course. Herodotus rolls into Egypt and is like 'here's what they say about all this, I believe these guys for these reasons and these guys for those reasons.' Interestingly, he even accepts a totally different version of the Iliad that has Helen sitting out the war and marrying a nice Egyptian lad like it's no big deal. The gods exist, only weirdos *cough*Socrates*cough* don't believe that, but which story about Zeus/Dionysus/whoever you tell might be a lot more fungible.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

the JJ posted:

Some things seem pretty absolute, others pretty fuzzy. We have records of the sanctity of Delphi and, most especially, the need to recover fallen bodies and having huge political/foreign relations implications.

On the other hand, the castration of the Hermes seems to have been understood by at least Thucy as pretty much pretext for political maneuvering. On the other other hand, we can thus infer that 'you hosed with our statues' was a big enough deal to get a guy axed. Ditto Thucy's attitude towards taking omens before battles. He's pretty snide about the whole thing, but he's snide because people throw away good chances for victory because of what entrails told them. And guys like Xenophon are like 'oh yeah, that guy, terrible general, attacked when the omens were bad.' These things were, it seems, as true as gravity to a lot of them.

On the other hand, 'fanfics' of Homer or reworking a myth to honor your city/family whatever was kinda par for the course. Herodotus rolls into Egypt and is like 'here's what they say about all this, I believe these guys for these reasons and these guys for those reasons.' Interestingly, he even accepts a totally different version of the Iliad that has Helen sitting out the war and marrying a nice Egyptian lad like it's no big deal. The gods exist, only weirdos *cough*Socrates*cough* don't believe that, but which story about Zeus/Dionysus/whoever you tell might be a lot more fungible.

The example of Xenophon is a good one - for example the story of how he winds up in the expedition because he consults the Oracle and then is told he asked the wrong question and the manner of his question essentially mandated him to go on the expedition Lest he anger the Gods. You definitely also see it in contexts like the Roman giving of oaths.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
modern polytheistic religions or religions that act in similar ways like Catholics or Orthodox work in a similar manner, like there are regions where Saint X is incredibly important and regions where nobody's even heard of them, or their legends differ from place to place (in some areas st. christopher has a dog's head)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

In genuine news: http://qz.com/551210/researchers-just-unearthed-a-lost-island-in-the-aegean/

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I saw the headline and thought "you don't unearth lost Aegean islands" :agesilaus:

but . . . yup. They did.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

modern polytheistic religions or religions that act in similar ways like Catholics or Orthodox work in a similar manner, like there are regions where Saint X is incredibly important and regions where nobody's even heard of them, or their legends differ from place to place (in some areas st. christopher has a dog's head)

I had to post the visual accompaniment. It's one of the odder regional traditions to be sure.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Cippalippus posted:

Actually, our local school district does Gilgamesh and Beowolf, but I don't think there's any Homer. I'd guess it's because he just goes on for too long, or maybe it was just individual teacher's preference.

I do wonder why Gilgamesh hasn't been made into a movie. The oldest story we have, and you could give it to a Hollywood producer and he'd say "Yup, standard buddy adventure."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cippalippus posted:

American here, first two years of high school english were american literature and the last two were nonfiction/persuasive writing and survey of british literature/literary criticism. I had the odyssey shoe horned into my freshman year but we didn't get to Beowulf my senior year because we started from the present and went back in time. We only made it to Shakespeare :argh:

sarmhan posted:

I had to post the visual accompaniment. It's one of the odder regional traditions to be sure.

What breed of dog do you think he was

I want to believe he was a pug

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my dad posted:

You guys don't read the Epic of Gilgamesh in school?

Does the first quarter of college count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

You don't just read Homer, you study why and how he uses certain words and ideas and try to discern if and how different authors collaborated, and how his works influenced antiquity and modern days, and you do this for years - 4 to 6 - in some western high schools.
You don't do the same with Gilgamesh, or at least I don't know about it.