Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

genericnick posted:

I've recently started Shogun2 which is the first Total War I've played since the first one was released. I think I've got most of the basics down but how to use generals is still beyond me. Should you use your clan leader? Your heir? Or someone else? Should you try to level more generals or just use one/two wherever you can? I'll probably try a full run of FoS first if that is any help.

Generals give their armies bonuses, and that's their most important role in Shogun 2. Put a general in every big army, especially Ashigaru heavy armies. As the game progresses, you'll usually find that you don't have enough generals.

In battle, move your general around to trouble spots and park them near the area so that their blue influence circle covers it. The bodyguards are too small to act as cavalry, you should avoid sending them into melee unless you're making tightly controlled rear charges.

I've never found general loyalty to be a big issue, but you should probaly avoid having less than 4 pips of loyalty. All generals lose loyalty if your daimyo has bad honour, if you remove one from an office, or from having random traits. Family members lose loyalty if you adopt a son, while non-familial generals lose loyalty when you acquire new generals.

Honour is easy to gain though, just win battles or establish vassals.

FotS has a simpler general skill tree from Shogun 2. Their role is still the same though. If you play vanilla Shogun 2, I would subscribe to the mod that gives you 3 skill per level so you have more flexibility.

Arcsquad12 posted:

From there I tweak them with loyalty increasing skills, but I tend to avoid the Bushido increasing ones. It's more effective to focus on the Chi arts which in turn allow you to make more fortresses that give you a better bonus towards Bushido research than Generals do, and those points can be used better elsewhere.

It doesn't matter if you aren't playing on VH/Legendary, but Bushido arts are stronger than Chi arts. Chi and Zen are the only ones useful in the early game, when you don't have enough money or make enough money to use the other arts. You want to buff your ashigaru by researching the xp-giving bushido techs so you can build cost-effective armies. That way, you can just take advanced buildings and wealthy provinces from the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a mod to give vanilla generals FOTS-style skills cause it's the one thing I think the base game is really missing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a mod to give vanilla generals FOTS-style skills cause it's the one thing I think the base game is really missing.

The extra skill point seems good enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It doesn't matter if you aren't playing on VH/Legendary, but Bushido arts are stronger than Chi arts. Chi and Zen are the only ones useful in the early game, when you don't have enough money or make enough money to use the other arts. You want to buff your ashigaru by researching the xp-giving bushido techs so you can build cost-effective armies. That way, you can just take advanced buildings and wealthy provinces from the AI.

I meant the General/Daimyo bonus to Bushido research. It's wasted skill points when you can get extra bonus % to Bushido research by upgrading your castle towns. I only really use Chi arts to get the farming tech for a food surplus that lets me maintain those forts.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Seems like I was doing things fundamentally wrong. Didn't even notice that castles provide tech bonus.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As a point, you can easily use you general to take on spears by just dismounting them. If they charge in alongside more spearmen they'll be pretty safe and cut a swathe through the enemy. Using generals in Shogun 2 effectively is using them to fight, they're so goddamn strong.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

genericnick posted:

Seems like I was doing things fundamentally wrong. Didn't even notice that castles provide tech bonus.

Not to say you should just build castles everywhere. The food surplus bonus is pretty useful once you get a lot of territory in the mid-late game. Having a lot of food boosts your income everywhere every turn and castles take food. You'll need a lot of income before realm divide hits so what I used to do it get a lot of economic growth and stop conquering when you're province away from triggering realm divide and wait till you can sustain your income while being at war with the rest of Japan.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 18, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Just more generally, you can ignore tech bonuses entirely. Even on VH/Legendary you don't particularly need anything too deep and you'll get what you want in time. Like, early on you need to stack a ton of them to even reduce research by a turn or two so it's not worth it for the early techs. You need it to ever hope to get the later techs before you finish the game, but that's the rub--you can finish the game just fine without them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you guys want to use flashy Alpha tester vanity helmets on your dudes use this code.

I don't have the time for Arena at the moment and i'm holding out until i get more fleshed out options to play with.

6G9Q36-9U6W-PQAFU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Anyone got Rome 1 and Barbarian Invasion working on windows 10? Steam community and RTW forums don't seem amazingly helpful. Granted, I've only skimmed.

Also what's the real hotness for rome 1 mods these days. Not fiddled for ages and am currently on an intel HD 4400 so thought I'd check out the old game again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roma Surrectum II has done absolutely amazing things with the battle map, and I think the guy responsible has shared them with other mods. The music sucks however (why get rid of Jeff?) and the loading screen proverbs are limited to one per faction because any more than that and the entire game would apparently crash.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RS's Roman campaign has some really cool surprises.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So any help about getting it running? I just get a series of black screens that it looks like its tabbing in and out but I can't do anything except restart to stop it.

Thanks for the mod advice though!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I finally got into the Total War: Arena beta, and it is actually pretty fun. People who pay cash are going to progress way faster, but the 10v10 gameplay is actually pretty awesome and the maps make for some interesting strategies.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
I went back to Shogun 2 recently after playing some Arena. I am a masochist so I am trying to play a FOTS campaign on Legendary and it's kicking my rear end. I have no idea what to do whatsoever; it seems like no matter what my initial strategy is, I get rolled.

I've tried quick expansion into the surrounding provinces with my starter army, but then everyone declares war on me and I don't have any income to defend my settlements. If I try to focus my defense in one area, another full stack of battle-hardened line infantry/samurai comes to snatch up exposed settlements. I can inflict tons of losses on these with few troops and sometimes even win, but another full stack is right behind to reinforce and finish out the remaining defenders, if any.

If I don't expand and focus on my economy, everyone still declares war on me, loots my province, and then pins me into the settlement forever with never-ending stacks of battle-hardened, elite troops. I don't think I've last an in-game year yet!

I scrap my starting navy to decrease upkeep. Selling military access for money helps very slightly, but I can never find enough people to do it. Agents are too expensive to utilize for the risk. I don't know what units I should be focusing on in the beginning. I thought making use of a levy core would be the key while I try and scrape up an income that isn't in the single digits. However, they don't hold out very well since levy spearmen lack the spear wall ability possessed by their Ashigaru predecessors. Levy guns just don't reload fast enough to inflict enough damage before melee closes in. They soon get obliterated by the stacks of line infantry that the AI starts marching around a few turns in anyway. I've tried a smaller army of more experienced troops (kachi, line infantry if I spend the money getting those buildings), but their upkeep is high and they're never enough to defend AND mount a quick counter-offensive. I just can't afford armies large enough to defend my settlements. I can't afford anything.

I don't know what buildings to build, either. I could focus on income-generating buildings, but that means I can't train anything other that levy troops. Then again, if I focus on the military buildings, I can't afford the troops anyway. Argh.

I had trouble with Legendary in Rome 2 as well, though it was further exacerbated by the hundreds of mildly different units with varying degrees of stats. I guess I don't get Legendary. I understand that the AI is a cheating bastard and you have to exploit everything possible. I just don't know what else to exploit. There's a lack of any sort of guides or information on FOTS Legendary campaigns. All I can find is people saying that "Legendary is too easy".

Common sense dictates that I should give up, but I'm irrational and don't want to go back to VH. Those games just end up as snooze-fests in comparison.

Help!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Who are you trying to legendary with? Even moreso than base Shogun 2, not every legendary is created equal. The easier ones are, like base shogun 2, the islands (less so Tosa unless you migrate) and then the one that can loot better and the one that can replenish in enemy territory. All of the others are either harder or are the DLC I haven't tried yet.

FotS is more about army matchups early on, in my opinion, if you aren't super good at winning pitched battles. Well, battles more pitched than they should be on legendary I mean. Each territory tends to recruit the same things/go for the same compositions every playthrough since they start with the same building chains and once you figure it out you can know what to blitz with early on and what will instead get you killed, mostly in terms of investing in line early or not, going for more than a couple cav early or not, etc. If you know nearby settlements love kachi and sabre cav or lots of cav in general don't go line early and instead counter with more kachi of your own. If you know they mostly like spamming line then go cav and kachi with guns as support. Let the AI spend their infinite gold before you do and take advantage of the buildings that will already be in certain territories, military recruitment or otherwise. You want to assault something ASAP--on the siege defense side of things you should be able to hold out with very little cheap guns left behind--and then work on getting cannons before you get too serious about advancing further. To get the gold and build up for that try alternating taxes (high, normal, high, normal, etc.) early if you can't get what you need via access deals alone--also get rid of stuff you don't want, like gunboats.

Don't scrap your starting navy entirely or else you'll get all of your money bombed away in short order, moreso than the upkeep cost of keeping a navy. Avoid opening distant trade routes/scouting too far with boats since the more people who know you exist, the more people can war you. Try to keep wars local since the AI that warred you from halfway across the map can and will land full-stacks at exactly the wrong time. Mind your diplomacy--if an ally you absolutely do not want to turn to the other side is trading with or, even worse, already in an alliance with other faction guys kill that as best you can via gold or whatever else needs to be offered to get it cancelled. Never auto-resolve naval battles--no radar fog battles will suck so much, but not as much as losing your fleets or having to constantly repair your fleets due to auto.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I've been trying Jozai (the looting/replenishing in enemy territory you mentioned) and Nagaoka (15% faster reload on rifles). I was trying to win with one of the Shogunate supporters before moving on to the Imperial clans.

I feel like I'm decent at winning battles where the odds are against me (all of them). I've pulled out some wins I didn't think were possible, too, though they were Pyrrhic and set my settlement/army up for a defeat soon after. Unfortunately, I'm apparently not very good at winning defense battles with very few troops if the enemy has kachi. The levy infantry just don't reload fast enough to inflict sufficient casualties and/or break morale. The spear levy just melts in melee with them. Fighting off line infantry and levy is pretty easy in comparison.

I haven't gotten to the point where my lack of navy caused me any problems. The problems are always the entire world turning on me and sending the non-stop conga lines of full stacks of troops.

I've heard the suggestion to discover as few clans as possible before. I'll have to try to apply that.

I guess I was hoping for some sort of "aha" advice pertaining to something I missed. It's starting to sound like I'm just poo poo at Legendary.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Satsuma clan has an easier start, as does Saga. They both start next to 3 of the 7 Very Fertile provinces on the map, ample trade routes, and near an easily-defeatable island enemy with gold mines.
FOTS is an economy and tech race, and the most successful campaigns are going to drive you there.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Chosa, I think, is actually the looting one, rather than Jozai. You can build up a large amount of gold early on via repeatedly looting your first enemy, which you can then use to really upgrade the fortifications and build more buildings/units. Expand south into the very fertile canyoneer is talking about while using your daimyo and cheap stacks, who you'll kill off eventually, to repeat-loot less fertile territory on the mainland. Looting is tied to the daimyo that did it, so all of your looting dishonor will disappear once you kill him off. You can do that after you've gotten enough of a gold buffer to get started on taking the very fertile territory and defending your starting area as a chokepoint. Or ignore the dishonor penalties entirely if that's your thing and keep him alive, but the general you sent south is probably the better daimyo anyway. I haven't done it myself, but I've heard people mention it as an easy strategy.

Satsuma is also an easy start, yeah. Less cheesy than Chosa, but they have a solid location and solid bonuses and I actually know they're easy enough rather than people talking. Saga is easier than Satsuma in my opinion--they're one of the DLCs I have tried and they start with cannons, trade routes and are closer to very fertile--but if you want the achievement then they're right out. Nothing non-DLC Shogunate is too easy, but Jozai is still the easiest of the pack. Just, a ton of factors all add up to make their starting locations way harder--definitely consider delaying foreign trade with Jozai since unlocking it will reveal you to tons of people all at once so only do it when you're ready, navally, for that. With Nagaoka you probably want to blitz west as fast as possible or else the cannon recruit faction over there will give you a bad time. The gold island is a trap compared to shogun 2 Uesugi so largely ignore it or only take it when a good opportunity presents itself. Haven't gotten very far with Nagaoka--usually I end up unable to grow my economy fast enough to keep up with enemy navies, though I'm suspecting there's a diplomacy game to be played there, mostly in regards to the faction on the northern islands.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chosa are ridiculously cheesy once you unlock Kihetai riflemen. They're like a tier three barracks unit that punches well above their weight, have fast reloads, and inspire nearby troops. And there is no limit on them.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

My only completed Fall game was with Choshu. I abused the hell out of the ishin shishi and just started revolts wherever I saw some Shogunate rear end in a top hat, after which I went in and liberated the people from the rebel scum.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm actually really enjoying TW: Arena right now, seems like a good game to goonstack in as well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TW: Arena is pretty fun. I spent tonight just using germanicus with 2 swordsmans and 1 spearmans. I have had only one game that had any of my units survive to the end, which is just how I like it as shouting WITNESS ME when my forces tie up 6 other units and go down in a blaze of glory is fun, and if the rankings are any indication point effective

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

The warrior princess Cynane was famed for her military knowledge and skill in hunting, riding, tracking, and swordfighting. She led her armies to many military victories, including the great defeat of the Illyrians and slaying of their Queen Caeria with her own hand. These battle skills are reflected in her Commander Orders in ARENA:

Barrage
Massively hastens reload time, allowing your archer unit to fire volley after volley in quick succession for a brief period. Delivering extra volleys before a unit charges, or retreats, can often mean the difference between victory and defeat in a skirmish.

CY_slaughter
Slaughter
Damages and kill enemies that have been knocked to the ground beneath your unit, making it an excellent companion to the Shock order. Timing these two correctly together will allow you to surprise and deal maximum damage to a unit, delivering a devastating blow to the enemy.

CY_shock
Shock
Creates a scattering cavalry charge that ramps up in intensity over time. It can be used with both Melee and Missile cavalry. Once triggered, the charge impact increases until it peaks right before the charge ends. To get the best result, skilled players will need to test the limits of how early they can charge before losing momentum.

CY_hunt
Hunt
Allows you to mark an enemy unit and maintain line of sight on it, even after it leaves your visibility. This is an excellent way to track down fleeing enemies, giving your teammates a target to aim at before they can escape.

quote:

Patch Notes

Caltrops Removed from Roman Infantry

Matchmaking Improvements
We’ve made further refinements to how we match players together, to create fairer matches while keeping those players who’re geographically close playing together whenever possible.

Tier Banding: Separating high-tier and low-tier players into different bands, ensuring fairer matches especially at off-peak hours.
Simplified the matchmaking panel to make it less confusing for players.
Reduced the importance of unit equipment in matchmaking, giving more weight to unit tier.

Premium Units: No Replenishment Cost

expect some tears

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Women? In a Total War game?

Gosh it's been a while but I think I should jump back into trawling TWC for their terrible opinions on women or game design or everything in general.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is she wearing a thong?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Back To 99 posted:

Is she wearing a thong?

At least 2 of them, I think.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So can someone explain to me CA's weird thing about women being incapable of wearing anything better than leather armor?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

dat front butt tho....... :pervert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VerdantSquire posted:

So can someone explain to me CA's weird thing about women being incapable of wearing anything better than leather armor?

It's never good enough is it? :shrug:

Serious answer, she's a hunter/archer from the image provided, they don't usually wear full plate. Sorry mate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

dogstile posted:

Serious answer, she's a hunter/archer from the image provided, they don't usually wear full plate. Sorry mate.

That doesn't really answer his question. The actual answer is that way you can still easily see they are girls.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Greek soldiers also have those lewd mini-skirts if i'm not mistaken.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also the only appropriate place to wear arm bracers. Then again, she's not wearing too much baggy clothing so the bracers are still redundant.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Honestly there is nothing worth complaining about, you might be reaching a tad.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

wait why are you complaining about supermodel girls i for one don't wanna look at ugly chicks i have to play with this is a video game everyone should look and sound awesome, which reminds me can we make her voice sexier

quote:

Never mind the sexy voice griff, I wanna see her rear end...lol

quote:

It may seem like a trivial issue but this is a Total War game and it should look like a Total War game. Well researched and realistic designs should be the goal of a game in the Total War series.

quote:

you joking! she looks like toilet worker in ukraine/ what the hairstyle she has???? like ukranian NAZI TIMOSHENKO?

all russian players have bad association

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
No need to check TWC after all, still insane.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Honestly the only truly offensive part of TW:Arena is when the matchmaker takes a dump and you get a game with tier 6 through tier 10.

Otherwise it's a pretty fun to have quick rts matches.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

dogstile posted:

Eh, I'm still happy they at least include them, it's just the seemingly arbitrary cut-off point in armor that feels weird to me. It's not just the lighter units either; literally every female unit in the roster cut-offs at leather armor, and that's assuming they even have it. Sure, you can say "So you can easily see that they're women", but why should that even matter anyway?

Yes, I already know the answer to that question.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm trying to run them through in my head now 'cause you have me doubting myself, but I really don't think that's true at all? The amazons are wearing trousers and a wall of chainmail, the hunnic women wear burlap sacks, the onna bushi wear armor pretty much identical to the samurai. I guess most of the mediterranean ones have fairly high cut skirts, but then the mediterranean men do too.

Now on the other hand I think that commander would normally be overdoing it, but all the Arena commanders are over the top anyway. While it's unfortunate that this is the way they'd naturally go over the top with for a lady hero, I don't think it's that big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
actually, it's about ethics in steppe peoples' armours