Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

And think, when the tech bubble does pop and most people in the field are out on their asses, you'll have something to fall back on :v:

My heart goes out to the people who are choosing to stay. But I cant do this poo poo anymore without guaranteed pay and some basic benefits. I'm off to make wine, at least Ill have taken a shot at something I love if I fail spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Secret Spoon posted:

Tis the season to jump ship.

I'm working at a carnivorous plant nursery right now.

Also that wine sounds dope add hell.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, thread, here's hoping you can help me out.

I need a service/product that will make communicating and alerting and schedule presenting easier. Hotschedules is, in my own experience as an employee, pretty solid, but we're a small operation, with not even 30 staff members.

Mostly what I'm looking for is just more convenient communication via/plus digital redundancy for our analog systems, so instead of calling as happy hour rush hits, Server Jim can just check his phone when he can't remember if it's 4:30 or 5:30 today, or if the GM wants to send out a blanket reminder that certain discounts are mutually exclusive, he can, that kind of thing.

Even just like a label for this kind of thing so I know how to look up options myself would be an immense help.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You could probably use a google sheets document, but you'd have to handle getting everyone 'set up' on it and then removing people from 'viewers' whenever someone quits. I think there are probably laws about the availability of schedules and names and poo poo like that so you might want to check with whoever represents 'legal' at your employer. It's free, though.

e: I'm am idiot, you can do something similar with Google Calendars which is probably even easier for Server Jim to handle. You'll have to read the documentation on setting up a google group, and then a group calendar, and then everyone has to have a gmail account that's inside the group, but there's literally a google calendar app so Jim's schedule is a single buttonpush away.

The policy everywhere I've worked, though, is that you don't call around rushes and that you take a picture of the posted schedule with your phone as soon as you are able. If you can't keep your poo poo straight, you get fired. I don't think it's unreasonable to request that a functioning adult who maintains a position of employment with an organization keeps track of his schedule. gently caress Server Jim.

I've also heard of ScheduleFly and PeopleMatter for stuff like this. They're similar to HotSchedules but you might be able to cut a deal with them on pricing by referencing their direct competitiors or something like that.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 18, 2015

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Some of you guys are in Austin, right? Where should I eat tonight?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

I need a service/product that will make communicating and alerting and schedule presenting easier. Hotschedules is, in my own experience as an employee, pretty solid, but we're a small operation, with not even 30 staff members.

Mostly what I'm looking for is just more convenient communication via/plus digital redundancy for our analog systems, so instead of calling as happy hour rush hits, Server Jim can just check his phone when he can't remember if it's 4:30 or 5:30 today, or if the GM wants to send out a blanket reminder that certain discounts are mutually exclusive, he can, that kind of thing.

Even just like a label for this kind of thing so I know how to look up options myself would be an immense help.

We use an app called When I Work, that has the schedule, handles time off requests, swaps, and even sends reminders.

We're a fairly small group, but it's worked real well for us so far.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Drink and Fight posted:

Salt and Time was pretty cool.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Roaring fork. Torchys Tacos is also a solid joint.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Secret Spoon posted:

Roaring fork. Torchys Tacos is also a solid joint.

I ate at Torchy's. It was indeed good - the second best tacos i had on my trip to Austin. But it didn't strike me as a "dinner" place. Do they have a sit down restaurant, or is it just the trailers in the gravel lot?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

The one one Berkman and E51st is most assuredly a sit down joint.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

HopDoddy for a good burger and beer in a super casual environment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm going to Olamaie tonight for some fancy stuff. What part of Austin are you in, and what do you want to eat?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It's getting drat cold here so we turned on our heaters up on the roof. One of them caught fire during lunch service, so that was fun. Luckily, it was more smoke than fire, and we caught it pretty early since our dish guy could smell it right away. We lost half of lunch, but that was really all we lost, so I count us as lucky.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

We use an app called When I Work, that has the schedule, handles time off requests, swaps, and even sends reminders.

We're a fairly small group, but it's worked real well for us so far.

Yeah this works well.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
In the aftermath of Snowmageddon, the roof over the servery developed a leak. A leak which trickled down and drip-drip-dripped onto a ceiling tile over one of the self-serve stations. PM crew evidently alerted facilities yesterday about it; facilities came out, looked at it, shrugged, and did nothing. During lunch service today, we watched as the thing swelled up and let a drop of water onto the counter about every 30 seconds. Facilities then decided to come in the middle of lunch service to take a look at the leak. Yep, as soon as the guy touched the tile, it fell out and plopped ceiling tile allllllll over the station. It's ok, it's not like 500 people were eating that gravy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a reason that HotSchedules doesn't work? I used it as a manager and it's really useful. A non-integrated plan (i.e. not integrated with your POS) is only like $70/mo, plus a $200 setup/training fee. Integrated plans are more expensive (can't remember how much – we didn't have a compatible POS), but there's lots of great functionality there in terms of projecting labor cost percentage and stuff.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm going to Olamaie tonight for some fancy stuff. What part of Austin are you in, and what do you want to eat?

I went to Roaring Fork because it's literally inside my hotel and then to taco place and now I'm in a bar called Stay Gold.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Now we are going to the Roosevelt Room.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is that an underground strip club?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

Now we are going to the Roosevelt Room.

There's a secret bar at the Firehouse hostel, go there, its behind the bookcase when you walk in on the right.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There's a secret bar at the Firehouse hostel, go there, its behind the bookcase when you walk in on the right.

:lol:

I can't. I just can't.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Save me jeebus posted:

In the aftermath of Snowmageddon, the roof over the servery developed a leak. A leak which trickled down and drip-drip-dripped onto a ceiling tile over one of the self-serve stations. PM crew evidently alerted facilities yesterday about it; facilities came out, looked at it, shrugged, and did nothing. During lunch service today, we watched as the thing swelled up and let a drop of water onto the counter about every 30 seconds. Facilities then decided to come in the middle of lunch service to take a look at the leak. Yep, as soon as the guy touched the tile, it fell out and plopped ceiling tile allllllll over the station. It's ok, it's not like 500 people were eating that gravy.

Dang, where you at that you have Snowmageddon already?

And I feel you on service guys with horrible timing. My DFAC is notoriously busy on the Thursday 1130-1300 lunch service (Thursday is "Soul Food Day": ribs, catfish, collards, etc. Very popular among not only the enlisted but the civvies as well). At 1300 hours, the line breaks down and we get SLAMMED in pots and pans. I have nightmares about mac'n'cheese shotgun pans and fish and rib-encrusted sheet pans the night before, this is a regularly scheduled bit of mayhem. So of course, last week, the best time to drag in a ladder for routine maintenance (checking some who-knows-what sensor in the ceiling) right over the table where I'm getting inundated with line pans is 1300, right? :downs: I am a patient and polite gal, but that poo poo broke me into saying "Really, you need to do this loving right now?"

I'm on dishroom tomorrow, which means I'll be fighting a never-ending war against rinsing collards off of plates so my dishmachine isn't a Lovecraftian horror to clean after serving 500 people in 90 minutes. But at least I'm not in pots and pans. Drinkin' one for my homies in advance.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his dog posted:

:lol:

I can't. I just can't.

Austin has a couple of fun hidden bars. Knowing they are actually there is half the battle.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm not sure if you were lying but we got a six pack and a couple slices and went back to the hotel.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Nah, its a real place. There's also Midnight Cowboy on 6th, hit the call button that says 'Harry Cranston' if the red light is on, and enjoy some amazing cocktails.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Schedulfly, yall.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And I feel you on service guys with horrible timing. My DFAC is notoriously busy on the Thursday 1130-1300 lunch service (Thursday is "Soul Food Day": ribs, catfish, collards, etc. Very popular among not only the enlisted but the civvies as well). At 1300 hours, the line breaks down and we get SLAMMED in pots and pans. I have nightmares about mac'n'cheese shotgun pans and fish and rib-encrusted sheet pans the night before, this is a regularly scheduled bit of mayhem. So of course, last week, the best time to drag in a ladder for routine maintenance (checking some who-knows-what sensor in the ceiling) right over the table where I'm getting inundated with line pans is 1300, right? :downs: I am a patient and polite gal, but that poo poo broke me into saying "Really, you need to do this loving right now?"

Back in the summer, one of the two fryers died and they chose to not only wait half a week to fix it, they let the repairmen come in and start ten minutes into the Saturday afternoon lunch rush. Running that alone sucks, but it is possible, at least until you have a guy lying down across the middle of your line riiiight where you need to step across to use the other fryer or access the only line cooler, and you have to be extra careful so you don't splash any oil on the guy. Ever order involving cold food off the line or fried food (that's only about 80+%) required moving in ways that probably would have been more suited to attacking a rock-climbing problem. The icing on the cake was the other guy crouching next to him with an exposed buttcrack large enough to justify the age-old comparison to an astronomic body, but despite all of this the part that broke me was having three people standing in the expo window telling me I was behind on tickets.

Despite the dubious terms of my termination, I have half-seriously considered sending that place a thank-you note for firing me. The past two weeks have been by far the least stressful and most content days I have experienced since I transferred over.

quote:

I'm on dishroom tomorrow, which means I'll be fighting a never-ending war against rinsing collards off of plates so my dishmachine isn't a Lovecraftian horror to clean after serving 500 people in 90 minutes. But at least I'm not in pots and pans. Drinkin' one for my homies in advance.

This is gold, I can't think of a more clever way to describe the horror of 500 guests' worth of leftover greens in a dish machine.

Also going to add this for hilarity. This was Ohio's Wright State U's Black History Month menu, and the resulting storm of public outrage went on for weeks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Vorenus posted:

This is gold, I can't think of a more clever way to describe the horror of 500 guests' worth of leftover greens in a dish machine.

Thank you. Seriously, my big-rear end industrial machine has about a dozen grates that have to be pulled and cleaned after every service, and they are all going to be coated in collard flecks that have the sticking tenacity of algae growth on a boat that's been docked in a marina for an entire summer.

quote:

Also going to add this for hilarity. This was Ohio's Wright State U's Black History Month menu, and the resulting storm of public outrage went on for weeks.

Was the outrage paying $1.55 for institutional collards? (I've gone native on a number of things since moving to the south, but collards ain't one of them. Granted, my first experience was jail collards, which were probably the clippings from the work crews that mowed the median strips on the highways here in VA. I'm probably a little biased.)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Kenning posted:

Is there a reason that HotSchedules doesn't work? I used it as a manager and it's really useful. A non-integrated plan (i.e. not integrated with your POS) is only like $70/mo, plus a $200 setup/training fee. Integrated plans are more expensive (can't remember how much – we didn't have a compatible POS), but there's lots of great functionality there in terms of projecting labor cost percentage and stuff.

Mostly I just don't think I'll be able to sell the decision-maker (s?) on something as expansive as hotschedules for an operation this small. I do think it would be great, but right now it looks like the best way I can use it is to frame an easier pitch, like "Here's hotschedules, it's great, but probably more than we need. This <insert product here> has the core functionality I think we'd benefit most from, and runs at <price difference>."

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I agree with Reiz, knowing your schedule is part of adulting. I'm only familiar with hotschedules, but I imagine any similar program is going to cost money. It sounds like you're mostly looking for convenience, which does carry a premium. That said, why not just email all employees a list of employees and phone numbers, then email each schedule when it's made? This covers any hint of an excuse given by a paper schedule, and if people need to swap they have to (God forbid!) open an email and text a person.

But seriously, if they can't afford $70/month LMAO (I know I'm channeling amahd but that's really the only response that deserves) and HS swapping is so much easier than spamming texts to 20+ numbers and hoping you don't get screwed because Server Billy said "Sure I'll cover your shift" right before he went for the Guinness Book entry on bong hits and forgot and guess who's still responsible for that shift. Then again you're rolling the dice on how long before a female server gets a creepy mouth-breathing phone call from someone who got her number on HS and hopes she gets down.

Because this was already a slightly rambling post I'm going to just go headlong down the rabbit hole, one of our cooks is That Guy. That Guy exists in some form in every kitchen, of course, but this is the creepiest I've seen. I am an adult male and the general creepy/skeevy/rapey vibe this guy gives off literally makes my skin crawl.

Re: The tipping discussion, I saw a local article about Joe's transitioning a few days before it came up on here. I'm personally in favor of it, and the only servers I know of who dislike it are ones who average $20 or more an hour because they get preferential seating and have well-tipping regulars. I think a small pay cut would be worth it for the reduced stress alone, multiple times in the past week I've had a table highly complement my service before leaving a $2 tip.

I'd actually like to see where people stand on quality of service. Our company holds servers to a maximum of four tables at once on busy nights, and if a server is on a party of 8 or more they don't get seated again until that party leaves. The main downside to this is that unless we are 100% capacity, multiple servers are running two tables and rarely getting sat; on top of this, mgmt. is notorious for not making cuts until at least an hour after most of the dining room clears. This and other things give me the impression that the owners basically expect perfect service. One of my managers gave the opinion that we should run with fewer servers each serving 5-6 tables and expect our guests to understand that when we get busy, service will be good but imperfect. I tend to agree with the latter, as both a server and a guest I think waiting 30 minutes from seating for an entree or having an empty glass in front of me for three minutes falls squarely in the category of "suck it up". On the other hand, entitlement is the cornerstone of American culture and people can't wait ten seconds for a web page to load without throwing a fit. IMO this also feeds back into the whole "eradicate tip culture" thing, any thoughts from you all?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It's not that I don't want Hotschedules or that we can't afford it; I just like being able to shop around a bit. The problem is more just getting modern more than anything else; Until a little over a year ago our PoS was still on dial-up.

Dial-up. In 2014. When the new GM came on it was pretty clearly to pull a restaurant rescue. He's way more keyed-in to modern niceties than his predecessor--once I taught him the basics of twitter he took to it like a fish to water, for example.

So much of this place is so fast and loose. It's been around 49 years and there have been old bad habits that have needed correcting, eyebrow-raising traditions, and this is just one bit of modernization I'm trying to take some initiative on.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Colorado, although work didn't get it anywhere near as bad as home (20mi away and 1,000' of elevation higher), where I spent 4 hours Tuesday shoveling wet, heavy snow. It was a bit of a freak storm. Fun times.

I am a patient and polite gal, but that poo poo broke me into saying "Really, you need to do this loving right now?"

I very nearly lost my poo poo, also. Bad thing though is our company is contracted by the college we work at, the facility isn't ours, so we can't really yell at them. As much as I would love to. I dearly, dearly wanted to.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

Colorado, although work didn't get it anywhere near as bad as home (20mi away and 1,000' of elevation higher), where I spent 4 hours Tuesday shoveling wet, heavy snow. It was a bit of a freak storm. Fun times.

As a former upstate NYer, I feel your pain. I grew up in The Snow Belt; I have many a memory of going trick-or-treating with a wicked Batgirl (or some such) costume hidden entirely under a parka. Yay, early freak snow. :smith:

quote:

I very nearly lost my poo poo, also. Bad thing though is our company is contracted by the college we work at, the facility isn't ours, so we can't really yell at them. As much as I would love to. I dearly, dearly wanted to.

Ah, here is one the major perks of working for a military DFAC: being able to curse like a sailor at anyone, even as a contractor. Swearing is just sort of SOP, from Army staff to cooks to dishbitch grunts like me.

And I LIKE our maintenance guy, he fixes everything from our clogged up disposal to bad seals on the walk-ins to "holy crap why is the dishwasher vomiting suds all over the dishroom". But dear god, dude's got a knack for always doing everything at the wrong time. Messing with the disposal just as we're getting the end-of-service rush of plates in, dicking around with our never-draining salad bar right when I need to clean the ice... he's like some sort of perverted VISA card: he's everywhere I want to be.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I had a 4 top of rich old crazy rear end white ladies at lunch who, having sat at the table yacking about the new mittens they had gotten for their cats or whatever, decided suddenly that the water they haven't touched in 2 hours is too stale and they all need completely new waters with lots of ice. Fresh glasses necessary.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have an old single lady who comes in every Friday. She orders the same thing every time.

She calls me her butler. The gently caress.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
That's called a "regular."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have an old single lady who comes in every Friday. She orders the same thing every time.

Really, that sounds like she's lonely and she likes you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

It's a double-entendre, she wants your butt(ler). :quagmire:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Does she get down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm going to Houston tonight. Where should I stay/eat. Downtown or the woodlands?

• Locked thread