Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I worked on the sky ride at Busch Gardens (basically carts that go from one end of the park to the other in the air if you've never been to a place with one) when I was in highschool the ~40 year old guy training me told me the best part of the job was stopping the cart so it tilts back from you so you could see up girls' skirts. I saw him do this every single day to pretty much anyone wearing a skirt, whether they were 5 years old or 60+. Occasionally he'd tilt it the other way if they wear wearing a low-cut shirt. He got fired eventually for unrelated reasons.

Also multiple people puked in the carts and I always had to clean it up. Why do they never do it over the side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm in school for machining, but thankfully most of what I do is CNC so the capacity for bodily injury is pretty low. That said, currently I'm TA-ing in China for a few weeks. All the chinese students wear long sleeves and no safety glasses while working with manual lathes and it skeeves me out.

Also the American teacher I came with took a picture of one of the 2nd year students literally sitting inside of a CNC milling machine changing out tools.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Metanaut posted:

A 2-3 year old baby in a crib being wheeled from the cancer ward he was staying in to surgery. I don't know how people cope with working there. At least with adults you can imagine they some how deserve the lovely thing they're dealing with.

Maybe he was one of those annoying kids that wouldn't finish their vegetables at dinner?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
For a brief time I worked at a factory that made bottom moored mines. You know, the round ones with the spikes on them? I was in quality assurance, so the completed mines were all laid out in rows on the warehouse floor. Resting on the ground, the mines' spikes were just below eye level. Stumble at the wrong time and "splat" you lose an eye at best, or get a spike driven into your brain and possibly explode if the mine's safety malfunctions.
Me and the other quality assurance guys walked up and down the rows, checking the mines and then affixing our stamps to them before moving on. We got paid based on how many we inspected in one day, so to increase our efficiency, we started wearing roller skates to move up and down the rows quicker.

Well you can guess what happened...

Some rear end in a top hat took a poo poo in our break room :argh:

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Four fingers in a twenty-ton flywheel-style punch press. The die clearance was set to about a sixteenth.
What was left of his hand in the press was flat as a piece of cardboard and well mixed with the cloth of his safety glove.
He didn't scream or anything- he just turned white and sat down hard on the floor.

We scrapped-out the press because people in the shop swore it still smelled of blood weeks later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

For a brief time I worked at a factory that made bottom moored mines. You know, the round ones with the spikes on them? I was in quality assurance, so the completed mines were all laid out in rows on the warehouse floor. Resting on the ground, the mines' spikes were just below eye level. Stumble at the wrong time and "splat" you lose an eye at best, or get a spike driven into your brain and possibly explode if the mine's safety malfunctions.
Me and the other quality assurance guys walked up and down the rows, checking the mines and then affixing our stamps to them before moving on. We got paid based on how many we inspected in one day, so to increase our efficiency, we started wearing roller skates to move up and down the rows quicker.

Well you can guess what happened...

Some rear end in a top hat took a poo poo in our break room :argh:

:wrong:
Those are actually triggers, not spikes. You were a poor mine quality assurance inspector.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Solice Kirsk posted:

Those are actually triggers, not spikes. You were a poor mine quality assurance inspector.

"spike" is the industry term for the contact firing pin

anyone who knows anything knows that

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

Well, Applewhite was also the guy who gave them the idea of using a powerful electromagnet to move all those mines quickly and efficiently.

Boy was his face red when he showed up for work and work wasn't there anymore!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I used to work as the day manager for a videogame arcade back when video arcades were a thing.
There are a lot of stories from that time but the one that stands out to me was the day of the thunderstorm when one of the cabinets got struck by lightning and the kid who was playing it at the time got sucked into the game!
As is standard procedure for when this kind of thing happens, I rushed over to the cabinet to play the game and help the kid stuck inside to finish (the only way to free someone stuck inside a game is to beat the game).
Unfortunately, the game was Mortal Kombat and even playing my best, I still wasn't able to save him. Scorpion got him with a Fatality about twenty seconds in and I had to watch the kid get eviscerated before my very eyes :(

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gilganixon posted:

It's not actually a firing pin.

I didn't want to bore you with the technical details but they are actually called "Hertz horns" and they contain a glass vial filled with sulfuric acid that is crushed when the mine comes into contact with a ship. The acid triggers the explosive.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That poor child. God bless

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Applewhite posted:

I used to work as the day manager for a videogame arcade back when video arcades were a thing.
There are a lot of stories from that time but the one that stands out to me was the day of the thunderstorm when one of the cabinets got struck by lightning and the kid who was playing it at the time got sucked into the game!
As is standard procedure for when this kind of thing happens, I rushed over to the cabinet to play the game and help the kid stuck inside to finish (the only way to free someone stuck inside a game is to beat the game).
Unfortunately, the game was Mortal Kombat and even playing my best, I still wasn't able to save him. Scorpion got him with a Fatality about twenty seconds in and I had to watch the kid get eviscerated before my very eyes :(

I hope you're banned as punishment for your failure to save that poor child!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

LadyAmbien posted:

I think modding on GBS is probably one of the most challenging positions on the site because it's really hard to figure out where to draw the line

i don't think this is true at all. the difficulty isn't from gbs, but from appointing mods who a. don't read gbs (el spider, mandatory lesbian, et al) or b. people who read gbs but hate it (franco, ralp). and then even when mods aren't appointed from that group (gnarly, social vegan as ik), you had somebody like ralp who hates gbs lording over them and preventing them from doing anything worthwhile with the forum

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

wow rude posted:

i don't think this is true at all. the difficulty isn't from gbs, but from appointing mods who a. don't read gbs (el spider, mandatory lesbian, et al) or b. people who read gbs but hate it (franco, ralp). and then even when mods aren't appointed from that group (gnarly, social vegan as ik), you had somebody like ralp who hates gbs lording over them and preventing them from doing anything worthwhile with the forum

Gnarly is a good mod and I consider him a Forum Friend.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Applewhite posted:

Gnarly is a good mod and I consider him a Forum Contemporary.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Judging a mod on his first day's work probably isn't a very fair metric one way of the other imo.

Give ol Spidero a bit of time to get himself comfortable in the role and I'm sure he'll be fine, he's already pretty good at just communicating poo poo when asked about it without getting defensive or angry, which has almost every past GBS mod beat. Also, I like Gnarly. GBS will be fine

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

:agreed:

he could have just doubled down and told us to go gently caress ourselves but he didn't and that's cool in my book

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

Gnarly is a good mod and I consider him a Forum Friend.

gnarly is a great mod absolutely. my understanding is that he biggest reason he burnt out so much had nothing to do with gbs posters and everything to do with dealing with ralp tho

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

People are gonna say this never happened or that Applewhite is just making things up again, but I knew a kid that this happened to back in like 1989 only it happened at home while he was playing Nintendo instead of in the arcade. I remember because he was missing for like 3 years and the family actually started to give up hope.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
6'3" 18 year old student starts slapping and choking his girlfriend (16 years, 5'6") in the lobby of the school. I yell to cut it from the other end of the hall and start approaching. he drags his girlfriend by her hair outside of the front doors. Another teacher runs to the office and calls the cops. The principal shows up and tells me not to get involved and he chases out after them. He stands 3' away from them as the boyfriend continues to slap the poo poo out of the girlfriend. The boyfriend throws her to the ground and runs away. The girlfriend gets up and chases after him, screaming I'm sorry. The Principal comes back in and inform him that the other teacher is calling the local First Nations police. The principal runs up to the office, calls the cops and tells them it was a false alarm, and that everything is all right.

The boyfriend was mad that the girlfriend found out he cheated on her.
He didn't get arrested, charged, or even suspended.
One month later the band paid to have him take a "Police Foundations" course.
5 months later he's a father because he got the other girl pregnant.
A year later he's a father again because he got his girlfriend pregnant.
Today his interests include collecting welfare and riding a bmx around town.

So glad I don't work there any more. (I literally have dozens of these kinds of stories)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

El Spider posted:

Ok, my bad. Please forgive me because in previous mod experiences I've seen people actually confess to things like ignoring a rape in process, assaulting their best friend with a shovel, hitting a live bird with a baseball bat, donating their last 50 dollars to charity because they think they sent too many pms to a female poster. I'm a bit rusty and also a piece of poo poo.

*flushes toilet and disappears*

it's cool you're at least trying to do a good job and willing to be flexible. as much cannot be said for past moderation attempts.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
A flurry of savage suplexes on a man with Parkinsons until he was surely dead because he kept accidentally kicking out at 1

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

nomadologique posted:

it's cool you're at least trying to do a good job and willing to be flexible. as much cannot be said for past moderation attempts.

yeah tbf to el spider that isn't something that say franco would've done regardless of how wrong he was

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im a cat murderer

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Booblord Zagats posted:

A flurry of savage suplexes on a man with Parkinsons until he was surely dead because he kept accidentally kicking out at 1

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's funny because a flurry of savage suplexes is actually my preferred method of getting to work.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
When I was 17 or 18 I worked for a thrift shop and we had this massive 25' ladder that required two people to carry it. I was asked to hang a new banner from the ceiling which requires a screwdriver and wrench to undo the bolts holding up the previous banner. I took the ladder out to the sales floor set it up climbed to the top with my wrench and screwdriver then realized I forgot something or I got called to the front or something I don't quite remember so I set the screwdriver and wrench on the very top of the ladder and went to go do whatever.

Fast forward about 5 minutes later an employee tried to move the ladder because it was in his way and the screwdriver and wrench fell off and hit him in the head. He was rushed to the hospital and as a result of that happening at work he was given a drug test and failed and lost his job. I was questioned if I had left the tools on the top of the ladder and I simply said no and nothing ever happened to me. I kinda felt bad but I don't have a soul and that kid was a douche anyways.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

El Spider posted:

it's hosed up to me that he participated in the act as well

Not really a basis for a probate though, is it?

El Spider posted:

Ok, my bad. Please forgive me because in previous mod experiences I've seen people actually confess to things like ignoring a rape in process, assaulting their best friend with a shovel, hitting a live bird with a baseball bat, donating their last 50 dollars to charity because they think they sent too many pms to a female poster. I'm a bit rusty and also a piece of poo poo.

*flushes toilet and disappears*

we cool bro

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Applewhite posted:

Story is a lie, Scorpion would have burned him to death after taking his mask off to reveal a skull. Unless it was MKII in which case he did have that one where he slit your throat then cut you in half with his spear.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I used to work at a gas station and saw some hosed up stuff. It was in a part of Austin with a lot of apartment complexes where a shitload of UT students and a bunch of poors lived. Funniest was when a rich kid came in and bought 4 sixers of Smirnoff Ice or some bullshit like that. We walks out the door and drops all 4 sixers to the ground and holds his hands up saying 'WHAT THE gently caress?' Turns out he left his car running and someone had jumped in and taken off with it. We didn't have cameras on that part so he was hosed.

I had one guy with cancer or something puke an ungodly amount of blood all over one of the pumps. The fire department just threw a bunch of kitty litter all over it and left. I had to clean up after them and threw up myself a couple times.

Another time a lady came in all worried. She was maybe 50 and real mousey looking like a stereotypical librarian. She asked to go to the bathroom and I gave her the key. A few minutes later she comes up and asks if I saw anyone walk out with a tan purse. It's 5:30pm and rush hour with about 10-15 people in line. I tell her no, and if she wants to call the police that I can pull the security tape for them when they get here. She says 'ok' and walks away. I hear one of the racks of chips judder like someone bumped into it. Someone in line calls out 'DUDE! This lady just fell down!' I hustle around the beer cooler and see her laying on stomach and not moving. After she won't respond to me I tell everyone to put their stuff down and leave and call 911. They make me turn her over and she's just staring blankly at the ceiling and breathing like someone who got knocked out. EMS show up and cut her shirt off and try to resuscitate her but can't and cart her off. I found out later when her husband called for the security video that she died from a burst aneurysm.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Story is a lie, Scorpion would have burned him to death after taking his mask off to reveal a skull. Unless it was MKII in which case he did have that one where he slit your throat then cut you in half with his spear.

The second one I'm p. sure.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TK-42-1 posted:

I used to work at a gas station and saw some hosed up stuff. It was in a part of Austin with a lot of apartment complexes where a shitload of UT students and a bunch of poors lived. Funniest was when a rich kid came in and bought 4 sixers of Smirnoff Ice or some bullshit like that. We walks out the door and drops all 4 sixers to the ground and holds his hands up saying 'WHAT THE gently caress?' Turns out he left his car running and someone had jumped in and taken off with it. We didn't have cameras on that part so he was hosed.

I had one guy with cancer or something puke an ungodly amount of blood all over one of the pumps. The fire department just threw a bunch of kitty litter all over it and left. I had to clean up after them and threw up myself a couple times.

Another time a lady came in all worried. She was maybe 50 and real mousey looking like a stereotypical librarian. She asked to go to the bathroom and I gave her the key. A few minutes later she comes up and asks if I saw anyone walk out with a tan purse. It's 5:30pm and rush hour with about 10-15 people in line. I tell her no, and if she wants to call the police that I can pull the security tape for them when they get here. She says 'ok' and walks away. I hear one of the racks of chips judder like someone bumped into it. Someone in line calls out 'DUDE! This lady just fell down!' I hustle around the beer cooler and see her laying on stomach and not moving. After she won't respond to me I tell everyone to put their stuff down and leave and call 911. They make me turn her over and she's just staring blankly at the ceiling and breathing like someone who got knocked out. EMS show up and cut her shirt off and try to resuscitate her but can't and cart her off. I found out later when her husband called for the security video that she died from a burst aneurysm.

Aneurysms are no joke, they can strike pretty much anyone, anywhere at any time. RIP, lady :(

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Applewhite posted:

The second one I'm p. sure.

Okay, I'll let you slide this time.

Worst thing I ever saw at my workplace was a woman have a stroke, it was pretty messed up. :(

Other than that there was the old lady that would occasionally poo poo on the toilet seat and leave it there for somebody else to clean up.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Booblord Zagats posted:

Is that about Verne Gagne the wrestler? I know he killed another old man in the nursing home.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

my supervisor looks and acts like nurse ratched from one flew over the cuckoo's nest

she also has this horrible habit of speaking with an upwards inflection so everything sounds like a question

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The time I worked at an oatmeal factory and I learned where gluten-free instant oatmeal comes from was pretty bad.

It's made from the dry flaky skin of kidnapped feral dogs that the oatmeal factory captures and keeps in a dry room so their skin cracks and flakes off. The dogs stand on a grate so their flaky skin falls off onto a conveyor belt.
I was in charge of feeding the dogs that provided the "apple and cinnamon" flakes. They were on a strict diet of applecores so that the apple flavor would seep into their skin. I was also in charge of removing the dog corpses after they inevitably dropped dead from cyanide poisoning after eating too many apple seeds. The apple-saturated dogmeat was ground up to make the dried "apple" chunks in the apple and cinnamon.

It's actually where I first got the nickname "Applewhite" and why my AV is a dog.

Most gluten free food involves a similar process. Gluten-free pasta is made from pigeons.

Needless to say I quit after only a few months.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

LadyAmbien posted:

Assuming you have a job, and coworkers.

The worst thing I ever saw was my co-worker and boss having drunken sex in the women's bathroom at a Christmas party, which wouldn't have been super terrible except the boss' wife was at the party, and he was also very fat.

Who would have sex with a fat guy lmfao

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Moon Atari posted:

When I was 17 and had just started working as a care assistant I saw a bandage removed from an old ladies leg which unleashed a torrent of foul smelling yellow and black goo, like melted cheese falling off a pizza. Her entire leg pretty much melted off before my eyes, right down to the bone. The four other staff (two of whom were actual nurses) all fled the room gagging/actually vomiting. I was stuck because I happened to be holding the leg up and couldn't just drop it onto the now very open wound. So much leg goo flooded out that it overflowed the bed, onto the floor...and into my shoes.

What a stupid oval office. She should have bathed

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

20matar posted:

Is that about Verne Gagne the wrestler? I know he killed another old man in the nursing home.

I have no idea. He was wearing a mask and from parts unknown so the cops had no idea where to even start looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I used to work at libraries doing IT work. One day this older woman comes in in a rage and starts beating on the door to the handicapped bathroom. She somehow gets the door open, screams in rage, and pulls out a teenager by the ear with his dick flapping in the wind and his pants around his ankles. A few seconds later, a teenage girl walks out calm as can be and takes a seat at the computers.

At first I'm thinking it's just teenagers being stupid: the handicapped bathroom is the only room in the library that anybody can use and having a lockable door and being inside some heavy stone walls, it's fairly soundproof. Nope: turns out that the girl's mother and brother were there, and that the mom was whoring out the daughter for some side money. No idea why the brother was there, but apparently the handicapped bathroom was a place for the daughter to sell her 'wares' so anybody could come in, pay the mom, and then finish up with the girl and then leave.

When Pimp Mom and her brethren were led out of the library by security, the brother let it drop that his own sister just gotten over her latest case of crabs. We had to close down the computer lab earlier to disinfect everything.

• Locked thread