Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ytlaya posted:

Actually, didn't he just go base form > Kaioken X 100 (or whatever his max was) > Spirit Bomb > Super Saiyan? I only remember him using Kaioken once during that fight, and it was only for a couple minutes (during which he got one or two good punches in on Frieza) before burning himself out.

Goku canonically never goes beyond x20. He starts the fight in x10 (which he has total control of, to the point that he can turn it on and off at will and we can never see the aura apart from specific shots), then increases it to x20 when he realizes he can't beat Freeza, and it isn't enough.

x100 is used once, though, against Lord Slug in his movie. Goku needed Piccolo's Ki to use it. It also made no goddamn sense. Kaioken is a flat multiplier to power, as is Super Saiyan, and a Kaioken x100 would make Goku a Super Saiyan 2 in terms of power. If, you know, power levels made any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the most inexplicable power up in DBZ is the one Goku gets between the Ginyu fight and him fighting Frieza. His max is something like 160,000 before Ginyu, and after healing up he somehow gets a Zenkai that gives him a power level of, what, like 5-10 million or something? During the same fight, Vegeta goes from being roughly as strong as Frieza's first form to, after the zenkai from Krillin blasting him, being significantly weaker then Frieza's final form (and thus Goku post-recovery). So basically both Goku and Vegeta get a zenkai, but despite Vegeta starting at a higher place (since he had previously experienced another zenkai after the Ginyu fight) Goku ends up stronger.

Basically just another reason power levels make no sense.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Against Ginyu with an unquantified kaioken he was at 180k

First form was 500k, second was 1M, final is maybe around 2M.

Goku starts the battle basically at kkx10 so going apples-to-apples his power at kkx1 is only 200k

His zenkai wasn't that big of a deal

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The zenkai registered on my scouter at "eh whatever the plot needs".
Handy thing to have.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I read one of these power level maths discussions about JJBA once, it concluded that Star Platinum and The World punched at several times the speed of light with the force of several gigaton nuclear bombs, the author didn't seem to realise how stupid that was and how that self-evidently wasn't the case as each MUDA didn't level Northern Africa

I feel it's much the same attaching meaning to the numbers given out in the Frieza Saga, it's an action show and the protagonist is always going to rise to the level the story needs them to and the visual and narrative portrayal of events is far more important than whatever throwaway exposition is used to quantify their punching power

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Doki doki zenkai power

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Only the characters I like should get power ups, IMO, while the ones I don't like languish behind and compliment them.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Kaioken was so cool. The aura and the pweeeeerrrrr sound. So cool

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ruggington posted:

toriyama is an old man and a fool because he should have kept videl's pigtails around for longer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I read one of these power level maths discussions about JJBA once, it concluded that Star Platinum and The World punched at several times the speed of light with the force of several gigaton nuclear bombs, the author didn't seem to realise how stupid that was and how that self-evidently wasn't the case as each MUDA didn't level Northern Africa

You say stupid, I say absolutely fantastic.
I want someone to calculate how hard Saitama's serious strike is in nuclear bombs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think the thread should move to a most serious discussion: Who would win in a three-way battle? Goku, Superman (Golden Age), or Saitama?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Instead of fighting they should team up for goofy adventures and occasionally even learn some lessons about life IMO.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, now that the Beerus fight's over, I'd like to comment on it.

I have to say, I didn't like it very much, no siree. It was arguably the worst fight dealing with a major antagonist in the entire series. The fight just kept dragging on and on and on, with Goku constantly looking like he got defeated, only to return again with some burst of new power.

Now I know what you're thinking. To complain about such a thing in Dragonball is like complaining that it's cold in Antarctica. But there is in fact a difference in how this battle was handled over the way previous major battles were. For example, take the Freezer fight (from the series, not the stupid movie). It's true that that fight (like every fricken fight in DBZ) took 50 -100 episodes to finish, but here's the thing. Over the course of the fight, Goku goes from base form > KaiokenX10 > Kaioken X20 > Spirit Bomb > Super Saiyan. In other words, there was a natural, reasonable progression in strength throughout the battle. We all knew and understood why Goku was getting progressively stronger with each new attack.

Conversely, there's nothing like that at all during the Goku x Beerus fight. The most you could say is that Goku was still learning how to use his god powers, which is fine, EXCEPT that such an excuse works once or twice. But this repeated for at least five different occasions. Each one being just like the last. Beerus overwhelms Goku, provides what appears to be a finishing blow, Goku looks like he's about to die, suddenly remembers he can't let his family and friends down, suddenly gets this upsurge of power, Beerus gets a surprised look on his face, and then all this poo poo repeats four more times. It was just so poorly plotted and directed. Makes me glad it finally finished.

While I agree that they went back to the "Goku is defeated, wait, not yet" powerups vs. Beerus in Super, that Freeza fight is utterly ridiculous. After Goku finally went Super Saiyan (the end of your progression) until the time that Freeza is defeated and Goku goes into full escape mode is an entire 10 episodes. Yes, there are 2 Dragon Ball wishes in there too, but still.

I guess it depends on how you quantify "worst" but even if you think it is the worst, at least it is short, comparatively.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Covok posted:

I think the thread should move to a most serious discussion: Who would win in a three-way battle? Goku, Superman (Golden Age), or Saitama?

If by three way battle you mean in a food eating contest.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

read the manga

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Darko posted:

The end of the Beerus fight wasn't about Goku discovering a new power as much as him completely learning how to manage god power. The Beerus fight was more like training for Goku than a major antagonist fight, since the whole fight, Beerus was attempting to push Goku to become a worthy adversary for him. Him threatening the planet was just him trying to force Goku to be better and make him actually fight. The show extended that by 30 minutes, but it's still there. That's a huge difference from Piccolo/Vegeta/Freeza/etc. where they were fighting for more than entertainment.

the movie did it better

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the movie is forced to do it better thanks to time constraints

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Squallege posted:

Kaioken was so cool. The aura and the pweeeeerrrrr sound. So cool

this and brick shithouse goku were some of the weird things of early dbz

i do like kaioken though

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I liked it better when Goku (and everyone else) was less muscly. His character design in the Raditz fight was peak imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If the DBZ characters were really as fast as they should be (given that Goku/Piccolo were already moving too fast to see in their first fight), each battle would basically just be a loud popping sound.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Squall posted:

While I agree that they went back to the "Goku is defeated, wait, not yet" powerups vs. Beerus in Super, that Freeza fight is utterly ridiculous. After Goku finally went Super Saiyan (the end of your progression) until the time that Freeza is defeated and Goku goes into full escape mode is an entire 10 episodes. Yes, there are 2 Dragon Ball wishes in there too, but still.

I guess it depends on how you quantify "worst" but even if you think it is the worst, at least it is short, comparatively.

Well, it's not so much about the length itself (though that's a huge turnoff as well), but reasons for why it was dragged on for so long.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

If the DBZ characters were really as fast as they should be (given that Goku/Piccolo were already moving too fast to see in their first fight), each battle would basically just be a loud popping sound.

Just imagine you have Vegeta-vision

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The first tournament did this, when Jackie Chun and Krillin fought nobody could follow them, so they just repeated it for the audience in slow motion. Tournaments really were the best

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Wuxi posted:

The first tournament did this, when Jackie Chun and Krillin fought nobody could follow them, so they just repeated it for the audience in slow motion. Tournaments really were the best

Also they had time to play Rock Paper Scissors

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also they had time to play Rock Paper Scissors

And Krillin shot boogers out of magically appearing nostril holes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Combat Lobster posted:

Set it to a poor-man's rendition of "Eye of the Tiger" and I'm sold.

Head of the Cha-La.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rudoku posted:

And Krillin shot boogers out of magically appearing nostril holes.

But he just won because he doesn't have a nose!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Krillin just gives no fucks. Tell him he doesn't have a nose, and he'll grown one. Tell him he can't marry a killer android that murdered him in an alternate timeline, and he has a child with her. Tell him that he's bald, and he grows hair.

He's an inspiration to us all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Should we be expecting an issue of the Super manga soon? Feels like there's been a month since we found out about Vados/Super Saiyan Blue.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shindragon posted:

If by three way battle you mean in a food eating contest.
since we're specifically saying Silver Age Supes, he would win

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Should we be expecting an issue of the Super manga soon? Feels like there's been a month since we found out about Vados/Super Saiyan Blue.

It looks like the scan groups are purposely not moving too far beyond the anime.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just had a quick look and stuff about Chapter 5 of the manga came out a month ago indeed, so it simply just may be a case of it not being out rather than them wanting to not spoil Super.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's monthly releases of the Super Manga not some anti spoiler poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I doubt fallen angels, the guys who put "gently caress" as much as possible into all their releases, care about spoiling the Dragon Ball Super anime

you can tell it's not out because kazenshuu doesn't have anything on the front page yet and if there was anything important it'd be reported

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just need to know who's going to be losing to Satan in the big tourney.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Saitama.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of Kanzenshuu, did anyone listen to their latest podcast? It was basically a straight hour of :smug: and how they're so much better at reporting news than other people, in regards to that rumor about a new movie that ended up being not true.

I find them and that site really frustrating because they're incredibly knowledgeable about Dragon Ball and the history of the franchise, and yet at the same time they come off as kind of elitist about Dragon Ball of all things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Raxivace posted:

Speaking of Kanzenshuu, did anyone listen to their latest podcast? It was basically a straight hour of :smug: and how they're so much better at reporting news than other people, in regards to that rumor about a new movie that ended up being not true.

I find them and that site really frustrating because they're incredibly knowledgeable about Dragon Ball and the history of the franchise, and yet at the same time they come off as kind of elitist about Dragon Ball of all things.

Given that they reported on the spanish site being wrong and the spanish site doubled down and got defensive I think they're entitled to be smug about it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They are like this all the time, though, from what I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Given that they reported on the spanish site being wrong and the spanish site doubled down and got defensive I think they're entitled to be smug about it

And it's fine to call them out for that crap, but talking for like an hour about it seemed like overkill by quite a margin to me.

• Locked thread