Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super Dude posted:

It's nice not worrying about getting pick pocketed on the subway.

You know, unless someone steals your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Anyone using a Nexus 5X and having bluetooth just destroy their battery life? It's far and away the highest consumer of my battery life. I have a fit bit, so maybe that syncing all day is killing my battery.

I've never even seen Bluetooth show up in the battery stats and I have a G Watch R connected via Bluetooth presumably frequently talking to my 5x for weather and notifications and poo poo.

It's probably your fitbit?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
How bigger is the X Pure than the 5X? Don't tell me in mm, but in feel/grip/pocketability

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think anyone can given you any sensible answer other than 'it depends'

Useful to look at some comparison pictures though http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-5X,Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,Google-Nexus-6P/phones/9593,9694,9587

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

Super fascinating ongoing credit card talk in The Android Thread.
The takeaway is that Android/Apple Pay is way faster and better than all that other poo poo, at least in the US. Particularly if you have a fingerprint reader in your phone.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

dissss posted:

I don't think anyone can given you any sensible answer other than 'it depends'

Useful to look at some comparison pictures though http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-5X,Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,Google-Nexus-6P/phones/9593,9694,9587

I could hold the 5X today in a shop and it didn't feel too big, but felt too "squary". I know Moto X is more rounded so i think i'll trade bigger screen and more RAM for that fingerprint sensor that I won't use because in Germany you can't even pay with credit cards.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Got my replacement 6p yesterday. The fingerprint scanner is somewhat better, but still not great. I think I must just have very faint fingerprints or something. My left index finger rarely works, other fingers work better but not perfectly. Disappointing.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I jumped off the sinking ship that is HTC and hopped aboard the Samsung train. I'm glad I did because you can get a $50 rebate if you sign up for Samsung Pay with an eligible card

https://samsungpromotions.com/samsungpayoffer/

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Finally held a 5X today - the size is really not all that different from a 6p. Fingerprint sensor is mildly more comfortable to use since it's a little less tall, but given the spec difference I kinda feel like it would be crazy to get a 5X over a 6p.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Cozmosis posted:

Finally held a 5X today - the size is really not all that different from a 6p. Fingerprint sensor is mildly more comfortable to use since it's a little less tall, but given the spec difference I kinda feel like it would be crazy to get a 5X over a 6p.

The only caveat would be the significant cost savings if you do a 16GB Nexus 5x, but that would be a crazy thing to do. The 5x is nice, but the 6p is a much nicer phone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

Finally held a 5X today - the size is really not all that different from a 6p.

Weird, that's not my experience at all (I've owned both and settled on the 5X).

I can easily do anything on the 5X with one hand but constantly felt like I was going to drop the 6P with the balancing contortions required to hit the top third of the screen :stonk:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

repiv posted:

Weird, that's not my experience at all (I've owned both and settled on the 5X).

I can easily do anything on the 5X with one hand but constantly felt like I was going to drop the 6P with the balancing contortions required to hit the top third of the screen :stonk:

Perhaps extended screen use is different - mainly referring to the overall size of the device.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

berzerker posted:

Got my replacement 6p yesterday. The fingerprint scanner is somewhat better, but still not great. I think I must just have very faint fingerprints or something. My left index finger rarely works, other fingers work better but not perfectly. Disappointing.

One thing you can try is registering the same finger multiple times.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Desk Lamp posted:

One thing you can try is registering the same finger multiple times.

I did that, 4 profiles for my index finger and one for my middle finger. Middle finger still is waaaaaay more reliable, though still sometimes fails within the 5 tries before it locks out. At this point I'm just assuming my finger is the freak because everyone else seems to find the reader super reliable. Either way, it's a pretty crappy experience for me overall so far.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

berzerker posted:

I did that, 4 profiles for my index finger and one for my middle finger. Middle finger still is waaaaaay more reliable, though still sometimes fails within the 5 tries before it locks out. At this point I'm just assuming my finger is the freak because everyone else seems to find the reader super reliable. Either way, it's a pretty crappy experience for me overall so far.

Did you injure that finger in the past? Weird scar tissue might cause problems.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am trying to find a way to manually add a site of my choosing to the shortcut icons which appear on mobile Chrome's New Tab page.

I removed an automatically added shortcut and now I want to put it back.

Anyone know how?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Does anyone know what Google connectivity services is? The app caused a 2hr wakelock this morning. I only found results regarding Google Fi, which I'm not using.

http://m.imgur.com/8KoKzNe

http://m.imgur.com/D7Iq1RP

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bronin posted:

Does anyone know what Google connectivity services is? The app caused a 2hr wakelock this morning. I only found results regarding Google Fi, which I'm not using.

http://m.imgur.com/8KoKzNe

http://m.imgur.com/D7Iq1RP

Google Connectivity Services helps Android handle network connections. Keep it updated to ensure your device has the latest networking capabilities, including support for connecting to Wi-Fi networks automatically and using a Google VPN to help secure your data.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am trying to find a way to manually add a site of my choosing to the shortcut icons which appear on mobile Chrome's New Tab page.

I removed an automatically added shortcut and now I want to put it back.

Anyone know how?

Visit that site a bunch more times and it will come back.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Yeah I know. Question is if you need it when you're not using Fi.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Deactivating it will probably break everything that's needed to, you know, connect your phone to any kind of network. There's always that time when some Google service is draining your battery with a wake lock. It'll take a few days and after that it'll be gone like it never even was there in the first place. I've never had a version of Android or a phone that didn't have this problem once or twice a year.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bronin posted:

Yeah I know. Question is if you need it when you're not using Fi.

The answer is yes. Your phone doesn't have to be on Google Fi to be automatically connecting to wi-fi networks. Did your router or modem have an issue at/around the same time as your wakelock issue?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm pretty sure it's also like Google Play Services in that you can't remove it and no matter what you do it will silently update itself immediately if it's out of date.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure it's also like Google Play Services in that you can't remove it and no matter what you do it will silently update itself immediately if it's out of date.

I wonder if there's a relationship between the wakelock and how he found out it was that particular app causing it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Sometimes resolving a wakelock is as simple as rebooting your phone so that's always worth a shot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

For as much time as the internet spends talking about wakelocks on Android, Google just has to be working on a solution for this poo poo...right?

I mean, I don't really ever have a problem with Android battery life, but man I'll be glad when we can stop talking about fuckin wakelocks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

For as much time as the internet spends talking about wakelocks on Android, Google just has to be working on a solution for this poo poo...right?

I mean, I don't really ever have a problem with Android battery life, but man I'll be glad when we can stop talking about fuckin wakelocks.

It's sort of the nature of the beast, really. I mean, if you want your device to be able to do things in the background you kind of have to allow for a way for apps to do that. That being said, obviously Doze is a step in the right direction and work really is being done in this regard given that it sure seems like it's happening less than it used to.

I really don't think you'll ever be able to have bug-free software that functions perfectly all the time but I'll agree there is a way to go.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

It's sort of the nature of the beast, really. I mean, if you want your device to be able to do things in the background you kind of have to allow for a way for apps to do that. That being said, obviously Doze is a step in the right direction and work really is being done in this regard given that it sure seems like it's happening less than it used to.

I really don't think you'll ever be able to have bug-free software that functions perfectly all the time but I'll agree there is a way to go.

Well, what I was thinking about was better ways to diagnose what the problem is, because I agree it's the nature of the beast.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Well, what I was thinking about was better ways to diagnose what the problem is, because I agree it's the nature of the beast.
Remember that Google actively and deliberately made this harder by changing battery stats to only be visible to system apps. To this day I have never heard an explanation for that change. I have concluded that Google are not really interested in users figuring out what is causing wakelocks and they think apps should not be garbage in the first place. This is horribly flawed logic, of course.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

FAUXTON posted:

The answer is yes. Your phone doesn't have to be on Google Fi to be automatically connecting to wi-fi networks. Did your router or modem have an issue at/around the same time as your wakelock issue?

I found out at work. Looked at my battery stats and saw it at the top. There is no wifi at work. It could be that my home router did something wonky that my phone didn't like.

A reboot fixed the wakelock and I'll probably reboot my router too when I get home. I lost connectivity yesterday evening a few times. Might be related might not be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bronin posted:

I found out at work. Looked at my battery stats and saw it at the top. There is no wifi at work. It could be that my home router did something wonky that my phone didn't like.

A reboot fixed the wakelock and I'll probably reboot my router too when I get home. I lost connectivity yesterday evening a few times. Might be related might not be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sounds about right - I know that low 3G mobile signal strength used to cause all manner of battery drain on my older phones when I was on Sprint. I could tell when I was in a place with poo poo signal because I could feel the drat thing heating up in my pocket. I don't know the mechanism behind it but if I had to guess it would have to do with boosting antenna gain and needing more processing for a weak signal, as well as all the stuff that used data in the background needing to be awake for longer due to lower speed. If there was a connectivity issue with your home stuff where maybe the router was providing a good signal but the modem wasn't connecting to the internet (isps love having outages for maintenance in the middle of the night), the phone may have been repeatedly checking it like a stoned kid checking an empty fridge.

Or it could just be Google googling it all up as has been seen in the past.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds about right - I know that low 3G mobile signal strength used to cause all manner of battery drain on my older phones when I was on Sprint. I could tell when I was in a place with poo poo signal because I could feel the drat thing heating up in my pocket.

I have the same problem at my workplace. Signal is poo poo most of the time. If I sit at my desk with my phone next to my monitor I mostly get one or two bars Edge and sometimes one or two bars of LTE. As soon as I put my phone in my pocket to walk around I lose signal completely. This poo poo drains battery like crazy.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
For anyone who cares:

I bought this QuickCharge car charger back when I had a Moto X http://www.amazon.com/Powermod-Char...2.0+car+charger

I just plugged my Nexus 5X into it with an offical Google A-to-C cable, and it registers as "charging rapidly", and it did indeed appear to be charging as fast as the wall charger does. I'm not sure what USB-C needs to qualify as "charging rapidly", but 5V 2A from that quickcharger is doing it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does anyone want my Oneplus X invite?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sbaldrick posted:

Why yes, I would like a case of the clap.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I too enjoy a phone that would be stuck on 3G in most locations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really want the cable that will fry my computer that comes with it.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

sbaldrick posted:

Depends, do I have to show my tits?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The rear end Stooge posted:

Depends, do I have to show my tits?

no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Endless Mike posted:

I really want the cable that will fry my computer that comes with it.

It won't fry your PC since the oneplus doesn't try to draw the extra amps that USB c offers.