Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

For what it's worth, I don't think MotP is some grand experimental track - it's pop. It was featured prominently in the opening of the London Olympics. It sounds cool, but Matt hardly has to do anything when they play it live.

I wouldn't want an entire album of Space Dementia nonsense. I'm glad that we got as many solid songs out of this album as we did. I like it a lot overall and love some individual songs, but it has a weak ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Volkerball posted:

I can get what you're saying. But look at it this way. With some luck, if you aren't big into Muse, you won't have heard this song, so you can get the vibe I'm talking about that I hope to get from new Muse songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfJ7Vs0o4I

There's no other band on earth who can write something like this and pull it off. Just complete off the wall nonsense that somehow works and owns. People have been saying Drones is Muse going "back to their roots," but it's really not, unless you mean their roots in the sense of when they were like 12 years old. Hell, their first album had showbiz, sober, cave, and muscle museum, which were all extremely unorthodox songs that were really good. And they never really deviated from that. Every album has experimental, complex songs that upon your first listen, you're just like "what the gently caress was that, that was awesome." From BHaR you've got Map of the Problematique, Hoodoo, and Assassin. From Origin of Symmetry you have Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, and Feeling Good. Absolution had Butterflies and Hurricanes, Sing for Absolution, and Apocalypse Please. All these songs are unlike anything else you'd hear from any other band, and only fit into this broad category of uniqueness that is Muse. So when you think of Muse having that identity, you go into a new album hoping/expecting to hear songs that you think are awesome immediately, but you can't quite comprehend why because you don't even know what you just listened to. So you listen to it a few times over and develop an appreciation for how good the songs are, and why, before arriving at the conclusion that it's insane that somehow someones brain actually created it. Most of the songs on Drones are really straight-forward and predictable, and you get sort of bored with them before they are even finished playing the first time. It's just not them. If it was the first album from a new band that I was hearing for the first time, I'd probably be in your shoes, but as it is, it just feels like a letdown.

I want to just empty quote this forever because it articulated exactly my feelings about old Muse and this newest album.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the truth posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think MotP is some grand experimental track - it's pop. It was featured prominently in the opening of the London Olympics. It sounds cool, but Matt hardly has to do anything when they play it live.

I wouldn't want an entire album of Space Dementia nonsense. I'm glad that we got as many solid songs out of this album as we did. I like it a lot overall and love some individual songs, but it has a weak ending.

I'd disagree there, MoP is pop in that its a 4 minute track with obvious hooks yeah, but stylstically its quite unique, in the sense that I couldn't picture another rock band doing anything like it.

Its true that live Matt barely has to do anything, but thats because it leans so heavily on instrumentation other than guitar riffs. Its experimenting in the context that its a rock band pushing their style in another direction rather than "experimental" in the sense of being a 7+ minute song without verse chorus verse structure.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I struggle to see why Sing for Absolution "is unlike anything else you'd hear from any other band" - I don't think Absolution is a particularly off-the-wall album, but instead an album of smart, robust, thrilling rock songs... and Map of the Problematique, despite being awesome, is basically Depeche Mode.

OoS remains Muse's most "experimental" work. It has a kind of gothic hysteria to it that they've never recaptured. Even in songs with names like "Hysteria" (terrible name for a great song, that).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

vvvv DEAD INSIDE vvvv

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

and Map of the Problematique, despite being awesome, is basically Depeche Mode.

Ooh thats a good catch actually. I could see a Depeche Mode song in Muse style or vice versa.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

Ooh thats a good catch actually. I could see a Depeche Mode song in Muse style or vice versa.

They're definitely a major influence on later Muse (though usually to poor effect) - see also Undisclosed Desires and Dead Inside.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Aftermath" remains one of the most baffling tracks on the album to me. I think we all suspected that Muse would one day be crazy enough to do a full-blown, quite-possibly-serious power ballad. And yet somehow it doesn't sound nearly overblown and cheesy enough. How did that happen? It almost seems like like they deliberately avoided really delivering on the concept; the climax of the song, where it would be really easy to go for some crazy glory notes and guitar licks, just kind of passes by unnoticed.

I mean, subverting expectations can definitely be a cool thing, but it should be to some particular end. I don't know what they were going for here.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 31, 2015

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Unfulfilled Potential #?? would be apt alternate titles for the.majority of their post-BHaR tracks. Probably an album of good to great and two albums of meh to ok when judged from a "these three can and did reach such great heights".

Oh well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like this album but then I like Panic Station so im prob a Bad Muse Fan™

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Oo, they did an awesome cover of CHVRCHES - Lies for the BBC Live Lounge today. Hear it around 14:30:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03273ws

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's ideologically correct to like panic station imo.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Volkerball posted:

It's ideologically correct to like panic station imo.

:hfive:

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

European tour, first leg of world tour announced. Starts April next year. Sounds like they will have a round stage this time and be in the middle of the stadium.

I don't think much of their recent albums but will still definitely get tickets. Thought the tour for the last album was excellent.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Paperback Writer posted:

Oo, they did an awesome cover of CHVRCHES - Lies for the BBC Live Lounge today. Hear it around 14:30:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03273ws

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12D2LbImiuc

I think it's really good. Makes me yearn for what Muse could be doing with this kind of aggressive synth-pop style. God, it's great to hear Matt singing good lyrics.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Ah interesting, I just noticed he's reading the lyrics. Maybe that's why he keeps his songs so simple, it's been memory issues all along.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

GTO posted:

Sounds like they will have a round stage this time and be in the middle of the stadium.

They'll have a 360° stage like U2 or any boyband from the past 15 years already had. I'm sure it'll be an amazing production (it always is), but I'm quite wary if this is the right move. You got three people on stage (okay, it's four. But the fourth touring member is basically invisible) two of which don't (Chris) or can't (Dom) move around all that much. Matt tries to rock out as much as possible, but he's stationary a lot as well for obvious reasons. I hope they'll make up that fact somehow, but I have a bad feeling about this.

I also have no clue how a mosh pit is supposed to find itself in a crowd that's standing around in a circle. I want to throw myself around during the classics :(

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
A mosh pit shouldn't be a big problem, as long as the floor surface area is big enough.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah, that's not the problem. I'm sure there will be one somewhere on the floor but there's like a poo poo ton more ground to cover and look for. What if I'm on the complete opposite side of where the action is taking place? I wouldn't even know and will be trapped between all the people that just want to clap along to Starlight like the last time (they played Survival as closer and people actually starting leaving the venue during the rock out part at the end because it was...too heavy I guess?).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AlexF posted:

Yeah, that's not the problem. I'm sure there will be one somewhere on the floor but there's like a poo poo ton more ground to cover and look for. What if I'm on the complete opposite side of where the action is taking place? I wouldn't even know and will be trapped between all the people that just want to clap along to Starlight like the last time (they played Survival as closer and people actually starting leaving the venue during the rock out part at the end because it was...too heavy I guess?).

The part with the pyro? :dogbutton:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Pyro, confetti, everything. I rocked out so hard at that moment and then, after the song, looked around and people were just gone. It was really strange.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

AlexF posted:

Pyro, confetti, everything. I rocked out so hard at that moment and then, after the song, looked around and people were just gone. It was really strange.

Yeah I totally commiserate here, the catalog already brings out everyone and their mother (literally). The US leg of the psycho tour had a bunch of smaller groups throwing down but nothing congealing into a big "dis be the throwdown spot". That stage is gonna further fracture things.. Maybe one side will be more "Matt's side" which usually ends up being the rowdy section.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I also don't like that they are offering VIP packages. That is some Katy Perry level of ripping of your fans. Fo shame, Muse. Fo shame...

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Ticket prices also seem around 50% more than last time, for the London shows at least.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

AlexF posted:

I also don't like that they are offering VIP packages. That is some Katy Perry level of ripping of your fans. Fo shame, Muse. Fo shame...

When I went to the pre-Resistance Wembley shows, they had a sectioned off VIP section at the front. I don't know if that's what you mean but I always hated that.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
This is the official VIP package for the tour:

Greedy rear end Muse posted:

- One (1) premium reserved ticket in rows 1-15 of the lower bowl or on the GA floor
- Access to designated VIP entrance with early access to the venue
- Admission to the exclusive MUSEum – an intimate and interactive experience allowing guests to relive the greatest moments in MUSE history and view private memorabilia and keepsakes from the last two decades (only available to friends, family and VIP guests of MUSE)
- Invitation to an exclusive VIP pre-show party in the Starlight Lounge with complimentary snacks and a cash bar*
- One (1) limited-edition MUSE tour poster designed exclusively for VIP guests
- One (1) VIP laminate
- Private ‘crowd-free’ merchandise shopping at the venue
- On-site concert concierge

*Local liquor laws apply

All for the very fair price of 195€ ($220) in Europe. No meet & greet, not even one drink included. It's basically a poster, a nicer ticket and a chance at buying merch a little earlier.

Here's a look at the floor plan for Munich.

Blue sections are VIP seats.

Look at that stage! If you're lucky you'll see about 35% of the show! I'm still looking forward to this, but all the info until now makes me quite nervous.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
Metallica almost always does their arena tours in the round, I prefer it a lot to the standard stage on one end setup. Drums in the middle on a spot that spins a few degrees every few songs, mics all over the stage for the rest of the guys.

The last time I saw Muse was 11 years ago at a place that held like, I don't know, 500 people? They weren't very known at all in Canada back then. I do remember them coming out in costumes as it was Halloween. Last tour though they sold out the local arena two nights in a row. Times have changed.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

gently caress yeah, Phantogram is opening for them at their California/Oregon tour dates in December. They've picked really good openers the last few times through on their arena stops(Silversun Pickups, Metric, Passion Pit, Band of Skulls)...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Getting tickets for that Staples Center show was a bitch and a half. I'm basically in the rafters, which will be an interesting contrast from the floor seats I have at the San Diego show two days earlier.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I have a lot of love for the album. Every record they release is different, and they take epic risks. I'd be bored if it were all samey. I know a lot of people compare them to Queen; and they were known for taking equally baffling risks and still churning out fantastic songs.

A lot of the tracks are safe, but Aftermath is one of their most polished songs, and sounds like they've done nothing but release Clapton ballads for years. Incredible.

Drones is also wildly different, and lands pretty well considering.

Not sure it's got any instant classics, but holy poo poo I can't stop listening to aftermath.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Got my tickets to see them in Vancouver in December. It will be the third time I will be seeing them live. They always put on a great show with amazing spectacle.
As for the new album, I have been giving it a listen to and yea, the music sounds good but Jesus do the lyrics suck. I kind of wish Matt was more unintelligible in his pronunciations just so I could ignore what he was singing.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
New stage design is awesome, glad I get to see them 5 times in December (conveniently in town for each of those dates)
https://www.instagram.com/p/-OKpmYBWWp/?tagged=muse

Also they played The Globalist and it seems like it'll be rotated with Citizen Erased

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a bit of anger in the Muse fan communities because Matt didn't play guitar on Uprising or Dead Inside last night, he only sang.

The setlist was a bit of a mess, too. It was chock full of playback tracks (Drill Sergeant, Isolated System, Prelude, JFK, and I poo poo you not, the song Drones twice). Revolt and The Globalist were debuted, but apart from that there was nothing interesting outside of the usual setlist staples:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2015/palacio-de-los-deportes-mexico-city-mexico-33f570f5.html

Also, with 7 studio albums under their belt, and in the prime of their lives, they're still crapping out only an 18 song set for arguably their biggest tour ever? On Reddit, somebody brought up The Cure as a comparison: Robert Smith is 56 years old, but they're still doing over 40 songs at their big shows.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2014/eventim-apollo-london-england-7bcd065c.html

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 18, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Reiterating that Muse played their acapella showstopper "Drones" twice in the one concert last night.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

So, not only do they suck at making music now, they're starting to suck at their live shows?

Good work Muse.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Giant ballons confirmed! I don't need anything else to be happy. I also like the one two punch with Mercy and Cydonia at the end.

And I'm fine with a setlist that's around 20 songs. Never got the longing for 3 hours+ sets even from my favorite bands. A good 90 minute set with that kind of production design is okay IMO.

Drones twice however is not. Once maybe, but not really. Twice is a crime.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Crap that's a bad setlist Muse :/

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Apocalypse Please is a great choice though. I'd never have guessed them picking it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

the Psycho setlists were so good too.

I know it's still going to be a blast when I see them in Portland but man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If I don't get to hear Citizen Erased I will get a refund :argh:

• Locked thread