Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They just want to keep making GBS threads on Otacon, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So...what's with you deliberately avoiding Substance so much?

Hell, put it on the "To Do" list for possible drunk streams or something like you have with the original two pre-solid games...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

So...what's with you deliberately avoiding Substance so much?

I'm not, I've just really been wanting to play Peace Walker for a while. If Discord ends up working out the way I'm planning, it'll make streaming a hell of a lot easier.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Danaru posted:

Gonna spoiler tag it just to give people more time to play MGSV on their own.

(gently caress Huey spoilers)

:dogbutton:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I finally got around to watching the last update.

Danaru going dunk crazy on NEEEERDS :byodood: is why I watched this before playing Fallout 4.

What is it about you yelling about nerds make me giggle like a small child?

Also Dan, seriously, watching you drunk ramble is fun but don't seriously gently caress yourself up. "It's in my eyes!" is no good :ohdear:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Dr Sun Try posted:

also: also: I always understood the Otacon/Otastepmom as stat.rape; would explain Hals fuckedupness

Otacon was 17 during said issues involving said stepmother no mention of state of residency so YMMV on the whole issue of legal consent. So from what I gather his fuckedupness is probably because his father can't take any responsibility for his actions and blames/drags (or tries too) others down with him.

Section Z posted:

Also Dan, seriously, watching you drunk ramble is fun but don't seriously gently caress yourself up. "It's in my eyes!" is no good :ohdear:

But then he gets to wear a cool eye patch like everyone else in the Kojimaverse. :pirate:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hrvstmn31 posted:

But then he gets to wear a cool eye patch like everyone else in the Kojimaverse. :pirate:

And if something were to happen to his left arm...

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

White Coke posted:

And if something were to happen to his left arm...

Then he'd be Venom Dan (is there a venom level on the drunk chart? Is it it dead?)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 12 - Johnny's Record Breaking Log

New session time! This is the session recorded last friday, we're no longer running off the huge mess of videos we made back in October.

One thing that I learned after the session is that because you don't have your knife, Snake can't use any of his CQC moves. This means he Cannot Dunk.

if I ever punch someone, I can guarantee I was trying to dunk them and couldn't.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

I think styptic is sort of like alum in that it constricts blood vessels to stop bleeding.

Edit: A week late but you can hold dudes up for four items.

Hrvstmn31 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 12, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Volgin said he was going back to his room because Snake getting his eye shot out got him in the mood and he wanted to have some fun with EVA.

Also The Sorrow is a spirit medium so presumably in life his contribution to the Cobras was how he talked to ghosts and learned things. Maybe dead allies or enemies could give him valuable intel or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

NikkolasKing posted:

Also The Sorrow is a spirit medium so presumably in life his contribution to the Cobras was how he talked to ghosts and learned things. Maybe dead allies or enemies could give him valuable intel or something.

Would anyone get it if I made a Pathways Into Darkness joke

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 13 - Dunkless

Being dunkless without knowing why is the worst feeling. :saddowns:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I noticed as you were playing with your renewed inventory at the end that forks have CQC abilities...you miiiight have been able to dunk with the fork, but I'm not sure.

Also, that case you see in the waterfall wasn't a radio, it was Eva's lipstick gun case.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

I noticed as you were playing with your renewed inventory at the end that forks have CQC abilities...you miiiight have been able to dunk with the fork, but I'm not sure.

I looked it up because I specifically remember the fork not having CQC ability, apparently it does, but only after you get your knife back and therefore never need to use the fork in CQC :confused:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Soviets actually did spend a lot of time and effort screwing around with ESP. Not like it ever worked, mind you, but there were some pretty funky experiments with card tricks and all that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Soviets actually did spend a lot of time and effort screwing around with ESP. Not like it ever worked, mind you, but there were some pretty funky experiments with card tricks and all that.

The one I always see is grainy nth generation 8mm footage of a woman spinning a bottle on a tabletop my moving her hand a good 12-18" above it in a circle.

Plus supposedly they used psychics to unnerve opponents during high profile chess matches in the 70s too...

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Yep, the Russians did research into ESP, but also did the Americans.

quote:

These include the First Earth Battalion Operations Manual (1979) and a "psychic spy unit" established by Army intelligence at Fort Meade, Maryland, in the late '70s.

Fun fact about that part. Once I was dicking around a bit with the SAA, bouncing shots just because, when suddenly I hear an enemy soldier get hurt. Turns out I hadn't taken out the transmitter, and one of my shots had bounced up, then straight back, and got the enemy right in the head. :ocelot:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

I agree with Eva driving a motorcycle is pretty loving boss, the air truly does reminds you you're doing something that shouldn't be possible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kal-L posted:

Yep, the Russians did research into ESP, but also did the Americans.
Well drat, now I really want that book.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Regarding trophies popping that you should've already had, that would be because you hadn't sync'd them to your new/borrowed PS3. Of course even if you do that, each games "trophy pack" has to be reinstalled, and once that's done if you sync again then the ones you've already earned will stop popping up again. It's a process I've been through many times myself.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 18, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 14 - Don't See C3

So MGS3 turned 11 yesterday! Let's celebrate with a flawless infiltration of Groznyj Grad!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hehe, Grace's grandma giving tourism destinations for what is clearly a trip to see the long distance love is totally the sort of thing my mom would do :3:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Microfilm is A Thing, although it doesn't exactly look like that - it's usually either a reel or a matrix of pictures so you can move it around in the reader; stacking them behind one another like what Volgin shows would be unwieldy as gently caress. Anyway, they're normal photos but reduced to about 1/20 of their size so you need a special reader to enlarge them. It used to be a common method for archiving documents before digital photography showed up.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 18, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The 50s War of the Worlds is even less like the book than Spielberg's.

I love me some classic sci-fi but not a fan of that movie. It's all about Them!. I can't recall if you have gotten the Para-Medic talk about that one but it's a great flick and totally holds up.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

gently caress, you guys are worse than DBZ with those cliffhangers. As for motorcycles no they use plain ole gasoline no fancy magic going in their tank to make em tick. There are diesel bike bikes but they're kind of poo poo. In short regardless of what was in the bike all vehicles on the base would be using it too.

Hrvstmn31 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 19, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hrvstmn31 posted:

gently caress, you guys are worse than DBZ with those cliffhangers.

Yeah we got super unlucky like that, the next episode runs long because we specifically didn't want to break up the Shagohod section :v: (also I didn't want to put the controller down because that section is so loving awesome, so)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 15 - Dan And Eva Fight A Giant loving Robot

"So we designed a rocket propelled nuclear launch vehicle, it'll be solely posted in this base with a runway specifically designed to have enough room for it to launch." --Sokolov probably
"I'MMA USE IT AS A FRONT LINE VEHICLE AND SMASH UP MY OWN HOUSE WITH IT" --Volgin definitely

God you're just the worst, Volgin. Nepotism is a BITCH.

This is unrelated to this episode specifically, but given how much the thread loves to correct me on stuff, I can't believe not a single one of you called me out on forgetting to pick up the Mosin Nagant.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Danaru posted:

This is unrelated to this episode specifically, but given how much the thread loves to correct me on stuff, I can't believe not a single one of you called me out on forgetting to pick up the Mosin Nagant.

you can't dunk with it; why bother?

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
I am upset that you didn't get the M60, if only for the fact that as a result you didn't get to show off how Snake screams like Rambo when you fire the gun nonstop.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You missed the other way to gently caress with Volgin camo wise. There's that stupid rear end outfit where it's a Soviet flag on the front and a US flag on the back. If you put it on and face him he gets all messed up and tries to salute you. If you turn your back on him, then he gets super pissed.

Also, apparently Volgin's scared of frogs. Capture one alive and bring it with you to the fight (not that easy) and then throw it at him, and he'll be all "Ah! poo poo! Getitoff! Getitoff!"

Speaking of Frogs, hope you like replaying that chase set of sequences if you want to get the stealth unit...there's frogs hidden in there to shoot.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of Frogs, hope you like replaying that chase set of sequences if you want to get the stealth unit...there's frogs hidden in there to shoot.

No lie, this was actually the most fun I had hunting down the kerotans. Pinging them in the distance with a sniper rifle while on a motorcycle felt awesome. Unfortunately I was also doing it during my no-kill run, so getting the kerotan at the roadblock without killing any of the dudes was tough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The screwy treads on the Shagohod wouldn't work in reality, right? I'm trying to visualize the physics of the thing and it'd either not move at all or spin in a circle...?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 22, 2015

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The screwy treads on the Shagohod wouldn't work in reality, right? I'm trying to visualize the physics of the thing and it'd either not move at all or spin in a circle...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw-propelled_vehicle

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDe5dEu07I

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, leave it to Kojima to actually base the silliest designs in reality.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Though, as he often does, Kojima only bases the designs on real things. Screw-driven vehicles are designed for difficult terrain, such as snow, mud, swamps, etc -- terrains where wheels or treads would just sink into the ground and get stuck -- but they are pretty crap on paved roads, like, oh, I dunno, runways.

Or, you know, the Fulton, which is a real thing, but nothing at all like the Metal Gear Fulton.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

gregory posted:

Though, as he often does, Kojima only bases the designs on real things. Screw-driven vehicles are designed for difficult terrain, such as snow, mud, swamps, etc -- terrains where wheels or treads would just sink into the ground and get stuck -- but they are pretty crap on paved roads, like, oh, I dunno, runways.

Or, you know, the Fulton, which is a real thing, but nothing at all like the Metal Gear Fulton.

Kojima is a maniac when it comes to that kind of stuff

"Alright so, Octopi camoflauge their skin, so what if we took that and applied it to Snake's sneaking suit?"
"That sounds awesome!"
"And we can give a woman the same suit as well as a bunch of Solidus' octopus arms!"
"Okay that's kind of wierd but still cool."
"And also she laughs a lot because she was forced to kill her family!"
"Okay Kojima no"
"And she pukes ink when you defeat her!"
"Kojima stop"

With that said I loving love the Fulton in MGSV and I hope it's similar in Peace Walker.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Oh but of course. And good news, the fulton didn't change much between games (you still get screams as people shoot off into the air, and if you fulton friendlies, they'll go "WOHOOOoooooooooooo")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The fulton system doesn't change much between the two games, only difference is in MGS V it's greatly expanded upon.

Also, you probably already know this but in regards to Peace Walker, the game isn't over after the first set of credits roll. You could conceivably stop playing there mind you but MGS V continues directly after Peace Walker's "post-game" and certain events will make a bit more sense having seen both endings.