Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
once this stupid bottlecap fad blows over I'll be the richest broad in the wasteland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I had to switch my shadow distance to medium on a 980ti + 4790k and I still only see the game using like 50% of my cpu. I dont know what the gently caress is going on.

Granted I boosted the loadcell paramater, everything was running fine on ultra before but shadows+extra loaded cells means performance plummets in towns.

The 4790k (and many of the other processors of people mentioning low cpu utilization) are hyperthreaded, and by default fallout 4 does not understand this. adding iNumHWThreads=8 (in your case! That number should equal the number of threads for the specific cpu, and only does anything if you have more threads than cores) under general in fallout.ini should make the game recognize the extra threads in theory. I do not have a hyperthreaded processor so I've not been able to test this myself.

also, reminder that this is a cool and good post:

GhostDog posted:

Quoting myself. Adding these to Fallout.ini seems to have considerably improved the situation:

iTextureUpgradeDistance1=3600
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=1800
iTextureDegradeDistance1=4500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=2400

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

TheBuilder posted:

yes, and its a lame rehash

You are talking like the glorious return of Liberty Prime is a bad thing, when he's God's own Harbinger and is the greatest thing about the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, this doesn't seem to be explained anywhere that I can find, but whats the deal with the weapon mods that end up in my inventory from scrapping weapons occasionally, how are they reused because it seems like I have to recraft new mods even if I have the same one in my inventory?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Crossposting from the Post your favourite thing dragging this game down thread:

what the hell makes a settlement successful? I've put a lot of work into Sanctuary, and have an approval rating of 79% with 15 settlers loving life there. Meanwhile, the farm with the stoner robot has an approval rating of 45% and dropping, but has 17 settlers for some reason. I know how to make them happy (make sure they have water and food and a defence rating) but that farm has half a wall on one side and 2 machinegun turrets, only 6 food and 6 water for 17 people, and only 8 beds. Of course they're unhappy. Why do people keep going there when Sanctuary is fully decked out to be the next Diamond City?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So power fists can't be used in power armor, are there any other weapon limitations?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
if you don't have the gun nut perk is there any way to strip mods off guns? can you find individual mods out in the world?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

It's literally a 2 minute job; take off the side of the case, unscrew the old grahics card, unplug it from the motherboard, replace it with the new one.

Yeah that's a 750 ti. You'll have to do some looking at your current pc to see whether it'll actually fit though.

a)that's a dual slot card, so you'll need to check if there's a free slot (opening for the ports) at the back of your case, next to your current card. There probably is, but make sure!

b) That card you linked requires a 6-pin graphics card plug that comes from your power supply to function - I doubt your current card needs this extra power so your power supply probably doesn't have this plug. The card you linked does come with an adapter that fits two standard 4 pin connectors together to provide this power but it would be best to check beforehand if you have these spare connectors on your power supply (again, you probably do.

^^^^That being said, I believe the 750Ti is the most powerful card you can buy that comes in editions that don't require the 6-pin connector and just run off the motherboard, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127784 So you could get that if you didn't want to faff with the power supply, which I totally understand.

So really all you need to do is check if you have a spare slot. If you don't (and you probably do), you could step down to the GTX 750 which comes in single slot variants.

Hope this helps

GTX 750 or 750 ti from nvidia is the default choice for 'cheapest gpu worth buying' and is a good starting point. Do ask in SHSC though.

I didn't realize I was on American Newegg at the time, would one of these, preferably a cheaper one, work just as well?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

Fun fact: Before meeting Deacon in the Railroad HQ, he can be found tailing you undercover in various locations. He always has a generic name like "Drifter" or "Resident", but he uses the same model, has the same voice actor, and is marked as essential. Deacon owns.

Too bad he doesn't want the D.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Coolwhoami posted:

The 4790k (and many of the other processors of people mentioning low cpu utilization) are hyperthreaded, and by default fallout 4 does not understand this. adding iNumHWThreads=8 (in your case! That number should equal the number of threads for the specific cpu, and only does anything if you have more threads than cores) under general in fallout.ini should make the game recognize the extra threads in theory. I do not have a hyperthreaded processor so I've not been able to test this myself.

I've never actually seen any evidence that the thread ini settings have any perceivable performance benefit for the record, so use this with caution. The 'usethreadedx' ones definitely do nothing and sometimes destabilize the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

So power fists can't be used in power armor, are there any other weapon limitations?

Isn't the power armor itself basically a power fist?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
For Starlight Drive-in, there's already power lines and power there, do I still need a generator? I can't find any way to connect the power lines to my radio beacon thing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Internet Kraken posted:

I have never seen a Vertibird that didn't end up crashing. Sometimes they manage to drop off the Knights before they do, but their only fate seems to be fiery death.

My favorite Vertibird crash was near the end of my last session, I was pondering why the gently caress nobody was working my stalls in Sanctuary after I'd assigned people when I noticed a Vertibird off in the distance dropping off some soldiers. I was wandering around trying to assign new people to work, and when I came back to where my "market" was I saw the Vertibird spinning like crazy and rapidly getting closer to right where I was standing. I loving hoofed it as far as I could and turned around to see the Vertibird just crash straight into a rooftop next to the market.

Also saw one explode in midair once and drop a few corpses of unarmored conscripts or scribes or something after the power-armored knights disembarked. Nick picked up a minigun from one of the supermutants they killed and it was pretty great.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

also, reminder that this is a cool and good post:

I assumed it was threading issue but I didn't know if it was an issue of it using the 4 physical cores to its full potential or using two physical cores and their extra threads at max potential wasting 2 of the physical cores. I mean from the benchmarks Ive seen the game does actually use extra threads effectively, multi threaded processors tended to get 15% more performance, I just assumed the game did so normally and not with .ini hackery.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I've never actually seen any evidence that the thread ini settings have any perceivable performance benefit for the record, so use this with caution. The 'usethreadedx' ones definitely do nothing and sometimes destabilize the game.

I ran it at 8 on a 2500k for a few hours with no problems because I was dumb, so at worst it does nothing. I really should have just linked this because it's a decent tool: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I didn't realize I was on American Newegg at the time, would one of these, preferably a cheaper one, work just as well?

Yep, they're all pretty much the same. Last I checked MSI is the most highly regarded brand, but any of the brands on that page would be great.

I'd just look at the ones with one fan, as the ones with two all have the 6 pin connector I believe and may not fit in your case.

Coolwhoami posted:

I ran it at 8 on a 2500k for a few hours with no problems because I was dumb, so at worst it does nothing. I really should have just linked this because it's a decent tool: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/

Yeah, it's worth a shot at any rate. I think it's only the threadedAI one that fucks up the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

calusari posted:

if you don't have the gun nut perk is there any way to strip mods off guns? can you find individual mods out in the world?

You can't just strip mods off a gun for some reason. You have to replace them with another mod, so craft (or attach, if you already have one) a basic mod, which then deposits the other mod in your inventory. It's pretty clunky, but doesn't require Gun Nut at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Doctor Schnabel posted:

just remember that the game doesn't actually care about walls at all. they're nice if you want to funnel attackers into a killzone, but they don't enter into the game's raid calculations.

i think the only thing that matters is your defense score, and if it's higher than the sum of your water and food production in a settlement, then i dont believe it'll get attacked. so if it's a smaller settlement and you don't give a gently caress about making it pretty right there and then, just plop down a few heavy machine gun turrets or something and you should be ok

Nope. Places will still get attacked even if that's true, but the inhabitants won't worry about getting attacked, which brings down happiness.

Though unless you've got a rinky-dink little settlement or can only build machine-gun turrets, having that much defense will help you out significantly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Isn't the power armor itself basically a power fist?

Yeah but in FO3 and NV you basically took the one power glove off and put the fist on.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what level of defense means that a settlement can generally defend itself without you? I only have one settlement and the defense is just higher than the food, but it was attacked and everyone got wiped out.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but in FO3 and NV you basically took the one power glove off and put the fist on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZErvASwdlU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Power Armor was also different (lamer) then, and you can't really take the hand part off since you'd need to take the entire arm off, and then there's the power frame below that.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I assumed it was threading issue but I didn't know if it was an issue of it using the 4 physical cores to its full potential or using two physical cores and their extra threads at max potential wasting 2 of the physical cores. I mean from the benchmarks Ive seen the game does actually use extra threads effectively, multi threaded processors tended to get 15% more performance, I just assumed the game did so normally and not with .ini hackery.

Like I said earlier, I have a 2500k, and I just checked in resource monitor and it looks like the game is using all 4 cores (but in my case maybe around 70% for each). I have shadow quality and distance at high, not ultra, so i'm not sure if it will bottleneck things still at that point, but for those of you with better processors than I, I don't think your CPU is the problem regarding any performance, making my last few posts pretty pointless!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

RBA Starblade posted:

Since there are few weapons starting with 't' I've been naming my stuff "The <X>". The 10mm pistol I got at the start is The Classic. It's also now an automatic machine pistol so that name is a little misleading I guess.

The New Original!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

just remember that the game doesn't actually care about walls at all. they're nice if you want to funnel attackers into a killzone, but they don't enter into the game's raid calculations.

i think the only thing that matters is your defense score, and if it's higher than the sum of your water and food production in a settlement, then i dont believe it'll get attacked. so if it's a smaller settlement and you don't give a gently caress about making it pretty right there and then, just plop down a few heavy machine gun turrets or something and you should be ok

Oh it will still get attacked. I have settlements currently with defense to asset ratios of 3:1 and they still get attacked. They still lose too if I don't go and defend them when I see the message.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does sanctuary ever actually get raided?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

The New Original!

slippery slope to naming your gun after terrible pop-rap albums

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Reason posted:

I've had Radscorpions and Super Mutants attack Sanctuary before.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reason posted:

I've seen it raided by Gunners despite being, at the time, by far my best-defended settlement.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Generic Monk posted:

These get recommended since oblivion and I have the feeling they don't do anything either. (at best) With all the incompetency people say Bethesda has I still think if these options would do anything beneficial for most configurations (or hell, do anything at all) they'd be enabled by default. Honestly, the explanations for the options you find online read more like what people think these mean according to the variable name, not really knowing what they actually do.

Also, my advice for people with computers getting on in years - lock your Framerate to 30 FPS if possible. I know, I know for many this sounds awful but hear me out. It'll still appear reasonably fluid to you and a rock-solid 30 FPS will subjectively feel a lot better than a framerate that jumps +/- 15 fps and all over the place. Even though I upgraded recently I'm locking my framerate pretty much by default to 30 FPS for years now for all games I play, even those with rather primitive graphics. I've gotten used to it and with a modern graphics card and many games, the fan won't even spin up (which is always nice) and it'll have an measurable effect on power consumption. (although minor and very hardware-dependent)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BizarroAzrael posted:

The New Original!

I'm going to steal this thanks. :v:

quote:

Power Armor was also different (lamer) then, and you can't really take the hand part off since you'd need to take the entire arm off, and then there's the power frame below that.

Good point, I guess they can't just swap the model out as a result due to the animations too. Speaking of unarmed weapons is the Ballistic Fist back in? That thing was cool as hell.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Why is the Institute making synths? Why are they so keen on recovering runaways when they can mass produce the things like sausages? Why are they replacing people on the surface with synth doppelgangers? If their goal is to rebuild human society, what have they been doing the past 200 years in their isolated lair?

They institute is all about slavery. The synths are their slaves, and they have to keep chasing runaways and kill them, to instill fear in the rest. If they do not, the other synths will revolt or run away as well. There is a scene when you arrive at the institute early on where somebody berates a synth for cleaning the floor wrong, that made it clear for me directly what role the synths play. The ending where you side with the railroad and start a slave revolt shows their fears were correct.
The Railroad = Underground Railroad should make the analogy obvious.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I leave Sanctuary unguarded can they kill the people I can't move? I'm uprooting and moving everyone I like to the Castle. Sanctuary's kind of a hot poo poo pile anyway.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Danaru posted:

If I leave Sanctuary unguarded can they kill the people I can't move? I'm uprooting and moving everyone I like to the Castle. Sanctuary's kind of a hot poo poo pile anyway.

If the happiness drops settlers will eventually leave. Whether they means they get killed by raiders or just look for greener pastures, results are the same.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

These get recommended since oblivion and I have the feeling they don't do anything either. (at best) With all the incompetency people say Bethesda has I still think if these options would do anything beneficial for most configurations (or hell, do anything at all) they'd be enabled by default. Honestly, the explanations for the options you find online read more like what people think these mean according to the variable name, not really knowing what they actually do.

Also, my advice for people with computers getting on in years - lock your Framerate to 30 FPS if possible. I know, I know for many this sounds awful but hear me out. It'll still appear reasonably fluid to you and a rock-solid 30 FPS will subjectively feel a lot better than a framerate that jumps +/- 15 fps and all over the place. Even though I upgraded recently I'm locking my framerate pretty much by default to 30 FPS for years now for all games I play, even those with rather primitive graphics. I've gotten used to it and with a modern graphics card and many games, the fan won't even spin up (which is always nice) and it'll have an measurable effect on power consumption. (although minor and very hardware-dependent)

This isn't a bad idea tbh - people tend to underestimate the value of consistency in framerate and graphics when it's actually a real benefit to the experience. With the control fuckery whenever the gamebryo framerate tanks it's arguably more important than ever. That said, I do appreciate the much-needed control responsiveness that higher framerates bring - when it gets low it feels like you're moving your view through a mixture of molasses and grit, even with a gamepad.

Also I'm pretty sure the thread setting hype stems from the collective wishful thinking of legions of people with early dual-cores, silently weeping watching Oblivion run at like 10fps with its CPU-rendered shadows, completely ignoring all but one of their cores. Thankfully since Skyrim at least the engine seems to have got a lot more sane wrt this.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 18, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

A lot of them don't (some people on reddit were suggesting the use of ini lines that only apply to Bink video poo poo from 3/NV), but stuff like turning off God rays (which for a lot of people isn't actually off despite their setting it off in the launcher), uncapping framerate (which admittedly both puts yoh at risk of going too high and loving up the game) are at least something. I get why people are inclined not to trust Bethesda with this stuff, given their track record of having incredibly simple things be broken at launch.

e: Also my monitor is 144hz and having a game run at 30 fps on it hurts my eyes for some reason.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 18, 2015

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA

princecoo posted:

Crossposting from the Post your favourite thing dragging this game down thread:

what the hell makes a settlement successful? I've put a lot of work into Sanctuary, and have an approval rating of 79% with 15 settlers loving life there. Meanwhile, the farm with the stoner robot has an approval rating of 45% and dropping, but has 17 settlers for some reason. I know how to make them happy (make sure they have water and food and a defence rating) but that farm has half a wall on one side and 2 machinegun turrets, only 6 food and 6 water for 17 people, and only 8 beds. Of course they're unhappy. Why do people keep going there when Sanctuary is fully decked out to be the next Diamond City?

If you have a settlement that's getting overpopulated and you don't want to build it up, I suggest taking down your recruitment beacon and then sending settlers from there to other settlements that have room. That should at least stop the build up of unfed whiney settlers bringing your happiness down.

Also I'm not totally sure how this works, but if you have supply lines set up you don't necessarily need to have a specific settlement's food and water rating high enough to cover all the settlers because your supply lines should compensate for that assuming you have a surplus somewhere else. I think.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

noob question: whats a safe minimum level to take on Corvega? My newest reroll is at level 7.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

super macho dude posted:

noob question: whats a safe minimum level to take on Corvega? My newest reroll is at level 7.

Sounds fine, just don't tangle with the Raider Psychos with Fat Men on nearby buildings. Pipe Rifle and 10mm are all you need, some mollies if you feel fancy. If you take outside nice and slow with rifle, you can always run in and out of the building if things get too hot. Only close by enemies will follow you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Why is everyone trying to get in via the building and not the drainage grate the game tells you to go in? It basically takes you directly to where you need to go.

• Locked thread