Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I make people laugh by going to starbucks with them, waiting in line, and ordering a venti ice water - it's free.

I pay for coffee if we go somewhere better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
There is a Starbucks within walking distance of my office so I can stretch a trip into a two-mile midday walk. But yeah, I have a hard budget limit on it and it's one of the first things that gets decreased when needed.

It's more Bad With Tastebuds than Bad With Money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You're allowed to say "I don't really like the taste of Starbucks, but I'd love to come with for the company if you don't mind." You're allowed to join in the group without actually being BWM.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Or you could just say "yeah I'll come with" and then order a water like a normal person would actually do

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Uncle Enzo posted:

I thought the whole point of this thread was to gloat over people spending buttloads of money on coffee-flavored milkshakes and such?

There is nothing inherently wrong with that. If you have the extra money, feel free to spend it however you like.

Now, if these people are $20k in consumer debt with $50k in student loans racked up, that's a different story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

There is nothing inherently wrong with that. If you have the extra money, feel free to spend it however you like.

Now, if these people are $20k in consumer debt with $50k in student loans racked up, that's a different story.

What? Are we now drawing a line in the sand whereby the only people who are Bad With Money are those who are in serious debt?

I don't care what anyone else says: buying overpriced junk food and drinks is Bad With Money. Whether they have extra money for such purchases is irrelevant.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

enraged_camel posted:

What? Are we now drawing a line in the sand whereby the only people who are Bad With Money are those who are in serious debt?

I don't care what anyone else says: buying overpriced junk food and drinks is Bad With Money. Whether they have extra money for such purchases is irrelevant.

Absolutes like this are dumb. What if a ridiculous coffee or two a day is enough to keep someone happy enough to like, not have to go to therapy and/or shoot up the place or something? Or if that's too extreme, it just generally increases their mood which has ways of manifesting itself in other GWM ways like not doing cocaine or something?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I spent $25 on a meal consisting of a caesar salad and a beer this weekend. :cripes:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

And it's not over priced if people are buying it.

Are there no shades of gray anymore? We live in a consumer-spending driven economy. If everyone was suddenly GWM we'd all be BWM because a lot of us would be unemployed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Guys, I only eat lentils for every meal. When my office caters, I bring home a Tupperware of the food and then sell it on the street. I'm so frugal!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Guys, I only eat lentils for every meal. When my office caters, I bring home a Tupperware of the food and then sell it on the street. I'm so frugal!

You buy name brand Tupperware instead of just wrapping it in paper towels from the office? BWM

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Blinkman987 posted:

To be fair to anybody fooled into buying higher octane gas-- the entire system is designed to fool the consumer and lots of marketing dollars are spent on it.

Not shopping around to different filling stations is bad with money, and also you have to pay attention because some of them are straight unscrupulous, here are the two biggest offenders I've seen near me:

1) What I call Joker pumps, where no matter how lightly you squeeze the trigger, it won't let you just put in a penny's worth, and forces through about 3 cents worth. Shell is the worst at this. Aggravating if you want to buy just 20 dollars without prepaying inside.

2) I've started seeing this crop up at 76 stations, normally the buttons for different octanes are in order, because that makes sense: 87 89 91. At the place I go, it's organised 89 87 91. Literally makes no sense but I wouldn't be surprised if they're raking in the bucks from the people who don't stop to look at the buttons and fill up with 89 thinking it's the cheapest because it's on the left.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

enraged_camel posted:

Do you have a car? Because I think cars are a waste of money. Do you buy any videogames? Do you spend money on concert tickets?

You have to live as an ascetic monk or you are bad with money and therefore dumb.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

Do you have a car? Because I think cars are a waste of money. Do you buy any videogames? Do you spend money on concert tickets?

You have to live as an ascetic monk.

He already spent at least $10 on a dying Internet forum so...

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

You buy name brand Tupperware instead of just wrapping it in paper towels from the office? BWM

Clearly you sometimes need proper containers. Pro GWM people like me raid recycling bins for old sour cream containers and use those.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Antifreeze Head posted:

Clearly you sometimes need proper containers. Pro GWM people like me raid recycling bins for old sour cream containers and use those.

Expert GWM people just eat the leftovers found in the recycle bins. Free calories with minimal expenditure.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

We had a fellow employee do this short of selling it. He'd always bring home the dinner to his wife and enough for leftovers the next day instead of leaving them in the office fridge for everyone to snack on. Not a hardship case either. People wouldn't have batted an eye if it had been a hardship case.

He was generally disliked due to the fact that this was not an isolated incident and instead was an accurate reflection of his personality. He was eventually fired. Bad with money.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Not shopping around to different filling stations is bad with money, and also you have to pay attention because some of them are straight unscrupulous, here are the two biggest offenders I've seen near me:

1) What I call Joker pumps, where no matter how lightly you squeeze the trigger, it won't let you just put in a penny's worth, and forces through about 3 cents worth. Shell is the worst at this. Aggravating if you want to buy just 20 dollars without prepaying inside.

2) I've started seeing this crop up at 76 stations, normally the buttons for different octanes are in order, because that makes sense: 87 89 91. At the place I go, it's organised 89 87 91. Literally makes no sense but I wouldn't be surprised if they're raking in the bucks from the people who don't stop to look at the buttons and fill up with 89 thinking it's the cheapest because it's on the left.

I've definitely experienced #2. I noticed at the end because the bill was way higher than it should've been after filling up. So, the gas station got me once and I'll never go there again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I worked at a place that paid for lunch each day, and if you were willing to stay past 6, you could order dinner. Dinner was $30 to spend on any delivery place. Plenty of times I ordered enough food for two people right at 6, and went home immediately when it arrived to share it with a friend. It was enough to feed two people certainly and sometimes more.

That's a bit different from a cafeteria though - this $30 was specifically assigned to me and everyone else got their own individually.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
P2P loan application for $5800 to fly to asia to get "new breasts". Yes this woman wants to pay 18.6% interest on a pair of tits.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Devian666 posted:

P2P loan application for $5800 to fly to asia to get "new breasts". Yes this woman wants to pay 18.6% interest on a pair of tits.

But think of the rising interest rate on her!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Devian666 posted:

Could be a good investment if she uses her new breasts as a business asset.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I agree, but let's be honest here it would be pretty remarkable to have a group of people in the presumed US who weren't in debt up to their eyeballs, especially younger people who drink a lot of starbucks in which case I'd bet real money they have a butt-ton of student loans at the very least.

I have a coworker in his very late 50's with 15+ years left on his mortgage and is paying 4 car loans. I don't think he has credit cards, but he assures me he has no savings. I was talking houses with him cause I'm obsessed with houses and I mentioned how in this town you could get a pretty nice house in a tidy grid-street neighborhood for like 60k. He told me it was like 25k back in the day cause he used to live there. They were paying down the mortgage just fine when the house down the street sold for 40k! They'd put some work in on their house and they decided the thing to do was sell asap, take the money they got out + the increase in value and buy a slightly bigger house. Only they didn't buy a slightly bigger one, they bought a much bigger one and then proceeded to spend a lot of money on it. They just recently finished a 25k+ kitchen remodel, I don't even know what else they've done. So now they are both getting close to retirement age, have a much-too-big house, and are paying on 4 soon to be 3 new cars. Plus insurance on all 4.

He makes ok money, but figuring conservatively on all their Fords I'm guessing he's got at least a grand a month going out in payments+insurance, plus his mortgage. poo poo, he's got more debt than I do come to think of it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pathetic little tramp posted:

1) What I call Joker pumps, where no matter how lightly you squeeze the trigger, it won't let you just put in a penny's worth, and forces through about 3 cents worth.

I think that considering 2 cents overpay on a tank of gas to be BWM is the most wonderful thing I've seen in this whole thread.

Sometimes when I order pizza it's 20g less than other times, you have to watch for that, too. (I put it on the scale when it arrives and take it out of the tip.)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That's what the free penny dish is for duh

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I think that considering 2 cents overpay on a tank of gas to be BWM is the most wonderful thing I've seen in this whole thread.

Sometimes when I order pizza it's 20g less than other times, you have to watch for that, too. (I put it on the scale when it arrives and take it out of the tip.)

It's even worse than your example because with gasoline, you're going to use all of it regardless. That's just 3 cents less in gas you're buying the next time you go to the gas station.

What's bad with money is your fuel pump dying prematurely since you're always driving with just enough fuel because you won't fill your drat tank.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's even worse than your example because with gasoline, you're going to use all of it regardless. That's just 3 cents less in gas you're buying the next time you go to the gas station.

Ah, but if you're doing high-frequency gas price tracking then that 3 cents might have bought you a millilitre more at another station in the future!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pr0zac posted:

He already spent at least $10 on a dying Internet forum so...
Some accounts here are old enough to have both not been paid for and automatically upgraded to platinum

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's me, I'm bad with money. My car requires premium and I just go to the nearest 76 and fill the whole tank when it drops below 1/4 because it's not worth the time or energy to try to save maybe two whole dollars trying to drive across town and game gas prices. :rolleyes:

How about some real bad with money/life:

Billed $18,000 from a college I didn't attend, any ways out? posted:

Here is some backstory: I applied to two universities, one in the U.S (Uni A) and the other abroad (Uni B); I paid for the initial deposit of both. Two weeks prior to that I received a scholarship offer from Uni B and accepted it. I emailed the University A's "apply" and "withdraw" email informing them that I won't attend. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I was apparently never officially withdrawn and, so, they are billing me late fees, class fees, and misc. fees.

tl;dr: Enrolled in a university, changed their mind, then only sent a single email to withdraw with no response. Didn't go through appropriate channels, never talked to anyone, never followed up, just assumed everything was fine until an $18,000 bill arrived.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2015

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Guinness posted:

It's me, I'm bad with money. My car requires premium and I just go to the nearest 76 and fill the whole tank when it drops below 1/4 because it's not worth the time or energy to try to save maybe two whole dollars trying to game gas prices. :rolleyes:

How about some real bad with money/life:

tl;dr: Enrolled in a university, changed their mind, then only sent a single email to withdraw with no response. Never talked to anyone, never followed up, just assumed everything was fine until an $18,000 bill arrived.

This makes it sound like they only applied, then got billed later. Which if true is shady as hell and not really bad with money, I don't see how they did anything wrong. How can they be getting charged class fees for classes that he never registered for? Unless he had way more interaction with that university than he claims I don't see the BWM. According to their post:

"College Dude posted:

I gave up on them clearing the bill, so here's my question: Will the University be able to hold me liable to this bill? I didn't attend and they don't have any official ID, credit card, bank account, or address. I'm abroad, how can I avoid this? I can't afford that $18,000 bill.

If they don't have official ID, address, CC, bank account, etc. then I make the case that he was never enrolled in the first place. Just getting a letter of acceptance doesn't make you liable for squat. This whole thing is either a big screwup on the university's part or outright theft.

It's been a couple years since I applied to schools but as I recall unless you sign or fill out some kind of "Letter of acceptance" then you were never enrolled and never a student. I applied to several schools (they didn't let me in) but I sure don't owe them more than the application fee.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 18, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

This thread is fun, and I'm embarrassed that I haven't shared this story yet.

In 2010, I attended the first conference where I was going to present my work. I didn't know poo poo about dressing in formal environments so my brother introduced me to his personal stylist. Her suggestions were expensive, but they looked good ... even today, no regrets. However, a couple of years later, it turns out she was also running a Ponzi scheme. Yes, the woman deserves to burn in hell for the poo poo she pulled, but why the gently caress did people agree to give her that much money? Morons!

I just want to point to this line:

quote:

Bibb said, through tears and a shaky voice that he has twins in first grade and that because of what happened with Silvey, he cannot afford a tutor for his children. Silvey allegedly stole $70,000 from him.

through tears and a shaky voice: "but, but.... their tutorrrrr.... ughhhhh"

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, but if you're doing high-frequency gas price tracking then that 3 cents might have bought you a millilitre more at another station in the future!

It starts with 2 cents and then before you know it they have the robots that beat you up and take your wallet. Slippery slope man.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Did he enroll or just apply? Because I just ignored acceptances and was fine when I went to college and all the letters I did get had told me to sign up on the website or whatever to actually enroll an sign up for housing and stuff.

(On the other hand, I was only accepted to state schools and they shared a lot of infrastructure, I think, soooo.)

Edit: nvm he says later that he was assigned an advisor who enrolled him and signed him up for classes but didn't follow up on the withdrawal attempt.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 18, 2015

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

(seen from a bus window in Orlando)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

This makes it sound like they only applied, then got billed later. Which if true is shady as hell and not really bad with money, I don't see how they did anything wrong. How can they be getting charged class fees for classes that he never registered for? Unless he had way more interaction with that university than he claims I don't see the BWM. According to their post:

It sounds like he paid a deposit to hold his spot after acceptance, which usually is indicating intent to attend. He did more than just apply.

It does sound like the university messed up, but this guy did a really poor job of communicating with them until it turned into a whole mess. His whole headache could have been avoided if he followed up or talked to a real person rather than firing-and-forgetting a lone email.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 18, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Oh... Oh dear. This is quite a post on Reddit: My grandma just got scammed out of her life savings ($100,000). What can our family do?

quote:

My grandma has wired her life savings to a scam artist saying that she has won the lottery and that they need money to pay the taxes. These people call her 30-40 times a day at all hours of the day and night. Supposedly they will deliver the check Thursday. She is still in denial but my uncle is planning on driving her to the police station immediately after the scammer fails to show up.

We have known for a while that she is vulnerable to scams such as this as she has admitted to sending a couple hundred dollars occasionally. We have previously contacted the police and visited her bank to inform them. We have also warned her repeatedly about scams. Apparently, none of this worked.

I've seen a lot of people fall for this scam. Sometimes it's seniors who don't know any better. Sometimes it's highly-paid professionals who are smart, but extremely greedy. I'm not sure which camp this particular individual falls into, since she sent "a couple hundred dollars occasionally". And from the sounds of it, the cut-off period for cancelling the wire has passed, which means the money is in all likelihood gone.

$100,000. :drat:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 18, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think it's a pretty good indicator that something is a scam if the amount they want is "all of it".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah it was posted last page, probably around the time it hit the front page of Reddit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If your children need a tutor for first grade they're already hosed, save your money and buy a houseboat or something.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah it was posted last page, probably around the time it hit the front page of Reddit.
Ah, darn it. It was new to me- I guess I'm just behind in the times. :smugjones:

Well, then.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

If your children need a tutor for first grade they're already hosed, save your money and buy a houseboat or something.

Breast or horse equity may be the only solution. Combine them so you have a horse with tits on a houseboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Breast or horse equity may be the only solution. Combine them so you have a horse with tits on a houseboat.

Welp now I know where all my extra money is going from now on.

• Locked thread