Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thwack! posted:

I actually haven't played much of any Castlevania game besides bits and pieces of 1, 4 and the first hour of SotN. After I decide to finish SotN, which one of the DS/GBA games are worth playing?

If you want to be picky, Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia, no two ways about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow are my two favorites. If you want to play the non-rpg/metroid titles, Rondo of Blood is punishing but amazing, and Bloodlines is surprisingly good considering how obscure it is compared to some of the other titles.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Thwack! posted:

I actually haven't played much of any Castlevania game besides bits and pieces of 1, 4 and the first hour of SotN. After I decide to finish SotN, which one of the DS/GBA games are worth playing?

Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow are the best, if you finish those and still want more then the rest are worth checking out. Even the mediocre Harmony of Dissonance is still hella good and the only one bad enough that I don't recommend it is Portrait of Ruin.

Circle of the Moon is arguably better than Dawn but it's a lot harder than the other ones and if you're a baby you might not like it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, all the GBA/DS Castlevania games are worth playing, though when I went back to SotN I was surprised how much better I found it than any of the portable ones, dealer some more interesting features in the later ones.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Remember when idiots kept talking about how Wildstar was going to kill WoW and revitalize the genre?

Good times.

Same thing happened with Age of Conan

And Warhammer Online

And Vanguard.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

New Concept Hole posted:

And Warhammer Online

And Vanguard.

I think Vanguard was my first major let down. I was so excited for that game as I wanted player built cities similar to SWG. I understand why games don't do it (it caters to a small audience, I believe), but I still want it!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

New Concept Hole posted:

And Warhammer Online

And Vanguard.

And Anarchy Online

And Matrix Online

And Dark age of Camelot

And Lineage 2

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm like 70% through metroid fusion and IMO it's good. bite me nerds

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

This awful MMO will kill the other bad MMO!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think anyone would argue with you on that :confused:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODBPesfOHUA

icantfindaname posted:

No ice beam only ice missiles was kind of a weird choice

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i feel like i've seen a lot of super metroid purists mad about the gating in that game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

i feel like i've seen a lot of super metroid purists mad about the gating in that game

Will that aspect sucks but it's still a pretty great game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Once you've got screw attack don't go in any computer rooms until you're ready to do the final boss, the game arbitarily locks you out of all exploration as soon as you've got it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Fusion's control and movement improvements are taken for granted now, but if you play Super Metroid right after, you can appreciate how big an improvement they are. Especially missiles being a modifier.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Metroid Fusion owns and is the only one of the series that I actually liked enough to go back and try to get the best ending for.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Why do so many people dislike Portrait of Ruin while giving Dawn of Sorrow a pass? I've been replaying both recently and couldn't bring myself to finish DoS, but have been enjoying Portrait more than I remembered.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I don't know if any of y'all care, but PAX East 2016 tickets are on sale. 3-day badges sold out in under 10 minutes.

http://east.paxsite.com/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I got into rom hacking because I wanted to take the story out of that game, and if at all possible make it slightly less linear, but I had to give up cuz I'm too dumb to learn that poo poo. That game isn't bad but it has these obvious flaws that are so unfortunate in an otherwise great sequel to Super Metroid.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Heavy Lobster posted:

Why do so many people dislike Portrait of Ruin while giving Dawn of Sorrow a pass? I've been replaying both recently and couldn't bring myself to finish DoS, but have been enjoying Portrait more than I remembered.

I think they're both kind of mediocre but with PoR the problem is more that the entire second half of the game is just terrible trash so it leaves a much worse taste in your mouth. I also feel like they didn't really make very good use of the two-character mechanic in PoR so it feels like a lot of wasted potential too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Heavy Lobster posted:

The echo chamber and/or hindsight in this thread is kind of weird, I can absolutely say that when it came out PoR was quite popular around here. It's probably my third favorite of the three DS games for a variety of reasons but I still played through it like 3 times on various difficulty levels and with different characters. It's a fun game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Portrait of Ruin is the bottom of the barrel, Dawn of Sorrow is just bad. I formed these opinions by myself instead of getting them from internet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the GBA/DS Castlevania games are good but some are better than others

I'm gettin' deja vu here

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

all games are good, but some games are better than others

*Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow are shoved into a truck labeled Glue Factory*

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The "Castlevania 3" mode of Dawn of Sorrow owns a lot.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think they're both kind of mediocre but with PoR the problem is more that the entire second half of the game is just terrible trash so it leaves a much worse taste in your mouth. I also feel like they didn't really make very good use of the two-character mechanic in PoR so it feels like a lot of wasted potential too.

I guess the second half falling short doesn't really resonate with me because I enjoyed the remixed stages and the first half of the game was strong enough to make up for it even if they were mediocre. Agreed that the two-character mechanic isn't super fleshed out, but I thought it was nice that it let you have full magic and physical layouts on-demand whereas DoS' set-swap basically turned into "the set you use to play the game vs the set with all the movement souls so you don't have to constantly reassign things that should be core abilities."

What really soured me on DoS was its awful weapon progression system. Instead of rewarding exploration like in literally any other SotN-style Castlevania you have to grind for (usually rare) souls that are permanently used up so that you can keep up with the damage curve, and then grind for that soul again if you wanted to actually use it. Granted the second grind is generally alleviated because DoS' souls were generally either really boring or really underpowered so you wouldn't want to use them anyway, but it was overall a much worse system than PoR cramming in a ton of sidegrade equipment that drops frequently off many enemies, which I thought was great.

e: While I think Portrait had more consistently solid boss fights throughout, Dawn had three really awesome fights (Gergoth, Paranoia, and Puppet Master) that were probably better than any individual fight in Portrait, so it does have that going for it I guess.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

icantfindaname posted:

all games are good

Thank you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

The "Castlevania 3" mode of Dawn of Sorrow owns a lot.

It's loving bullshit that Hammer isn't playable.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Going through the lovely and linear non-castle areas in PoR really sucks and then you end up having to go through a slight variation of each one again, so if you actually like exploration the game is poo poo.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Heavy Lobster posted:

What really soured me on DoS was its awful weapon progression system. Instead of rewarding exploration like in literally any other SotN-style Castlevania you have to grind for (usually rare) souls that are permanently used up so that you can keep up with the damage curve, and then grind for that soul again if you wanted to actually use it. Granted the second grind is generally alleviated because DoS' souls were generally either really boring or really underpowered so you wouldn't want to use them anyway, but it was overall a much worse system than PoR cramming in a ton of sidegrade equipment that drops frequently off many enemies, which I thought was great.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of any of any of the random drops for skills/spells systems in all of these games. CotM would probably be me favorite in the series if you just found Cards like you find upgrades in Metroid.

Being ultra-low budget really hurt a lot of these games in particular. As much as I like OoE, the budget running thin is really apparent in parts, and Dracula's Castle is pretty disappointing.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

Going through the lovely and linear non-castle areas in PoR really sucks and then you end up having to go through a slight variation of each one again, so if you actually like exploration the game is poo poo.

Maybe it's just me souring on typical Metroidvania level design then. So few times does the nonlinearity of levels actually mean anything worthwhile in a gameplay sense, getting a progression skill generally just makes you backtrack to get to the next area instead of the next area being the next room over. Harmony of Dissonance was particularly bad about this in that you'd have to remember every glowing door/rock/whatever and have to wander halfway across the map after getting something in a progression dead-end, which was particularly a shame because once you actually got all the map movement upgrades the game had some really awesome levels and a lot of great optional content.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more this is a problem with Castlevania than Metroid. Castlevania's map navigation upgrades are almost always either literal keys or might as well be (oh cool, I can push heavy blocks now, too bad there's only exactly one of these in the game and it's blocking the next required area!), whereas Metroid's are usually new weapons or changes to how you actually move around rooms, which makes them actually rewarding because the side content they gate involve interacting with new mechanics instead of just letting you open a door into a one-cell room that has a good piece of armor.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that exploration in Castlevania games has never been great anyway and I'm fine with a more linear experience instead of a game that's technically nonlinear but for no good reason.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I'm really not a fan of any of any of the random drops for skills/spells systems in all of these games. CotM would probably be me favorite in the series if you just found Cards like you find upgrades in Metroid.

Being ultra-low budget really hurt a lot of these games in particular. As much as I like OoE, the budget running thin is really apparent in parts, and Dracula's Castle is pretty disappointing.

Agreed on CotM, I love how it's actually a difficult game but having one of the cooler subsystems gated entirely behind drops is a drag. I never actually got around to playing OoE, although I'd very much like to if I can find a copy.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

OoE is different in that it's a series of disconnected levels that you unlock linearly. Some of them are completely linear in layout, some of them are larger and have a fair bit of exploration. The balance is tuned pretty well overall too and it has some pretty good bosses. Still has some annoying random drops to get skills, but generally I find it gives you enough to work with without having to grind much.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Personally, Dawn and portrait are two of my favourite castlevanias. Imho they're the perfect size and pace for a DS title, or even vania games in general. As fun and classic SotN is, it's way too long with some weirdly designed paths.

Never encountered the weapon problem mentioned earlier in Dawn because I use axes and only the ultimate upgrade requires a rare drop that was also the easiest rare soul to grind.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think it's because the games main system (the collecting of abilities) while copied from the last game, was really fun and then they got rid of it and replaced it with two less fun to play characters and smaller world's. It's a good game but it felt like a step back.

In general I really like when the games encourage exploration. I like SotN the best because it's the one that held your hand the least and even had entire areas and bosses you didn't even need to go to. It also had the most natural unlock progression. I do like Metrodvania in pretty much any form it takes though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I really wish SotN had any concept of balance or difficulty, as much as I like the game in general it's just braindead easy to the point where you don't even have to pay the first bit of attention to anything.

Plus the inverted castle is kind of a slog to maneuver through.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I really wish SotN had any concept of balance or difficulty, as much as I like the game in general it's just braindead easy to the point where you don't even have to pay the first bit of attention to anything.

Plus the inverted castle is kind of a slog to maneuver through.

Yeah, SotN gets a lot of passes from fans because it was a relatively new style of game design, plus the inverted castle is reasonably well-hidden and embodies an older form of secrets in games that birthed Uncle at Nintendo kind of rumors, but it has a lot of really obvious faults that are apparent if you played the later Castlevanias first. For as much poo poo as Harmony of Dissonance gets it's pretty much SotN 2, and while it repeats pretty much the same mistakes that SotN did, it's still a very fun game.

It's funny, all the other Castlevania games that get compared to SotN really don't really play much like it at all, they just play like each other. CotM is kind of a transitionary game, but Aria through Portrait are all pretty much the same style of map design. Portrait's non-castle parts get poo poo on but they play exactly like any other long stretch of castle in other games, except they don't have a second exit to a part of the game you've already explored I guess.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cloud smash looking good

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

cloud smash looking good
I cannot wait for
Dissidia with FFVII Skrillix

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FNbVim8AGZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

theultimo posted:

I cannot wait for
Dissidia with FFVII Skrillix

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FNbVim8AGZw

That's some very bad lighting for a game that you're supposed to be able to tell what's going on in.

• Locked thread