Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

This. Boy do I sure wish we could have Karma back so I could be a Paragon of Virtue after murdering 200 innocent NPCs so long as I killed enough feral ghouls or did the main quest line or said something nice to somebody.

Karma was cool in Fallout 2. I feel it was out of place mechanic in Fallout 1 and Fallout 3 was worse off for keeping it. Bethseda clearly do better with linear narratives that don't offer freedom, they should stop pretending. And they did!

New Vegas also did not need karma and there were no real places where it was ever used, since the faction system took precedence, which was an improvement in my mind. How an organization treats you through hearsay makes way more sense than being able to sense how evil you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Kiggles posted:

144 is not evenly divisible by 30 so you're not actually getting a consistent framerate, since the update intervals is not the same for each frame. Some frames update more quickly, others take longer to update, even though you're still having 30 updates every second. It's the same reason a stable 40 feels pretty bad sometimes; it's like dropping every third frame, making for a seemingly stuttering (almost imperceptible, but it'll 'feel' off) video updates. Set a framerate cap in something like Radeonpro or Rivatuner to 36.

Oh I know, and even now it's not ideal because I can't let the frame rate go too high lest wacky things ensue. I spent the first day playing without having unlocked the framerate, and was wondering why my eyes hurt so much. Once I found out that bethesda capped I adjusted it. It is especially bad when turning, as even more stuff needs to do be adjusted, but thank you for the idea of capping the framerate to a value that divides into 144 evenly, i'll try that tonight, as I get annoying scan bars while playing due to the offset, and I imagine the turning stuff.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Baron Bifford posted:

I've come across several interesting raider strongholds such as a race track and a gladiatorial pit. As soon as I stepped inside they all dropped what they were doing and attacked me. What was I supposed to do? There's no raider faction to join. Was I supposed to enter the area in stealth mode and observe the show from the shadows?

The raiders attacking you at the fighting pit is supposed to happen. You end up getting a follower out of it (the best follower)

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

RBA Starblade posted:

24 hours in and I haven't seen a second one yet, where do they pop up?

I've only seen 2 or 3 and I'm nearly 50 hours in. The most memorable was right after an attack on the drive in theater. I had just returned to dump equipment and was pretty beat up when I noticed some weak raiders were attacking. I have the place completely walled in so I did a lap around the outside of the wall cleaning them out. I didn't bother to heal first since they were using all crap weapons and I could just sleep 1 hour in a bed after I cleaned them up. I went back inside to dump gear when I saw everyone draw their guns again and thought that I had missed one so I ran back out to pop the guy in one hit. I ran face first into a freakin' Deathclaw. I almost crapped my pants when I realized I was at like 15% HP and furiously backpedaled while shooting the thing. I certainly would have died if it wasn't already pretty low on health. It went into the gutting me animation when it had only a sliver of life left and I was certain I was doomed when it died before it completed tearing me apart. Thanks, turrets!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

crowbb posted:

I've only seen 2 or 3 and I'm nearly 50 hours in. The most memorable was right after an attack on the drive in theater. I had just returned to dump equipment and was pretty beat up when I noticed some weak raiders were attacking. I have the place completely walled in so I did a lap around the outside of the wall cleaning them out. I didn't bother to heal first since they were using all crap weapons and I could just sleep 1 hour in a bed after I cleaned them up. I went back inside to dump gear when I saw everyone draw their guns again and thought that I had missed one so I ran back out to pop the guy in one hit. I ran face first into a freakin' Deathclaw. I almost crapped my pants when I realized I was at like 15% HP and furiously backpedaled while shooting the thing. I certainly would have died if it wasn't already pretty low on health. It went into the gutting me animation when it had only a sliver of life left and I was certain I was doomed when it died before it completed tearing me apart. Thanks, turrets!

I've seen more Deathclaws in Fallout 1 than in this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hahahahahahahaha The bottles of amontillado and the half walled up skeleton in the basement of the castle. That's great

For the love of Dog Montresor!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dongattack posted:

Err, are all the raiders in The Combat Zone supposed to go aggressive after a bit? I killed them and now Cait won't talk to me and not that ghoul either. If not this is the third instance of someone bugging out and being agro on me and i have no idea how to fix that.

When I went in they all went aggressive, then after I killed them all I could go into the ring and talk to Cait.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

There are quite a few in scripted places throughout the world that I've just stumbled upon. Then I think there's also the chance to find them just wandering around, like one time I fast traveled to Walden Pond and had one just walk out from behind a house.

Scripted places I can think off offhand Old Gullet Sinkhole, Glowing Sea

Found the former completely by accident. I was looking for a magazine. Saw the Deathclaw, got into the water, got swept down and into the cave and oh hey a Legendary Ghoul Reaver and a Glowing One blocking my way out! Really glad I had Dogmeat fetch the Cryolater through the locked case, because those things would've kicked my rear end with the crappy pre-level-10 gear I had.

Hell of a 5 minute adventure. Those guys a set encounter or did I just get insanely unlucky?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

Karma was cool in Fallout 2. I feel it was out of place mechanic in Fallout 1 and Fallout 3 was worse off for keeping it. Bethseda clearly do better with linear narratives that don't offer freedom, they should stop pretending. And they did!

How is Fallout 4 more linear than Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Skyrim?

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

King Vidiot posted:

Was anybody else disappointed with the Cryolator? I only got Master unlocking to get that, then I used it exactly one time on a Legendary Triggerman who shattered and all that was left was unlootable ice chunks. It took like 100 rounds to kill him which was half of the starting ammo and ammo's really hard to come by and expensive.

Quick gamer tip from me, the pro gamer: In every game, the giant cool gun the game designers expect you to lust after and use, will never ever be even a tenth as good as the game-breaking weapon you craft, modify, spec into, and min/max yourself 20 levels earlier than they intended you to get it, and then go on to bludgeon to death Mirelurk Poseidon, King Beyond the Waves with your heavily modified combat rifle.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i wish they didn't make renaming NPCs impossible through the console in skyrim. that command i barely used in oblivion would be extremely useful right about now for settlements

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr. Stingly posted:

Quick gamer tip from me, the pro gamer: In every game, the giant cool gun the game designers expect you to lust after and use, will never ever be even a tenth as good as the game-breaking weapon you craft, modify, spec into, and min/max yourself 20 levels earlier than they intended you to get it, and then go on to bludgeon to death Mirelurk Poseidon, King Beyond the Waves with your heavily modified combat rifle.

I got the Cryolator but after seeing that you can only modify it with a grand total of 3 mods, none of which effect damage which apparently is fixed to 20 ballistic/20 energy, I didn't even bother. It also weighs a ton and ammo cost/availability is insane, 20 caps per cryo round vs. 4 caps per .45 round.

Maybe it's a big gun and with the big guns perk it would be aces? Dunno but both my combat rifle and laser rifle do 60+ damage per shot and they're not even fully modded yet, so :effort:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 18, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Gotta say, going high-strength with basher is awesome, it's satisfying to bayonet things to death.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Before I even got the Cryolator I picked up a freezing tommy gun that's so much better and it only freezes on crits. After killing exactly one guy with the Cryolator and lugging it everywhere... I just renamed it "ICE TO MEET YOU" and shoved it in a footlocker at a Red Rocket. I hope some NPC steals it and proceeds to be useless in combat with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RBA Starblade posted:

The art design was amazing though but anything that's not a building or machine shows its age, like Andrew Ryan or the Little Sisters.

yeah, that game is amazing and overall its aged pretty well, even the splicers to an extent, but Ryan looks loving creepy because he looks like a leather puppet with no teeth. kinda hope they do a remaster someday.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I really wish I could restart the fishing operation that was destroyed by the Institute for no raisin

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The crit-kill animations for melee weapons are loving brutal as hell. It also applies to gun-bashing too. Nothing like smashing some raider's face in by pistol whipping them repeatedly.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The sentrybot back panel thing feels like a really big design oversight for something that's otherwise pretty well engineered.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

TorakFade posted:

I got the Cryolator but after seeing that you can only modify it with a grand total of 3 mods, none of which effect damage which apparently is fixed to 20 ballistic/20 energy, I didn't even bother. It also weighs a ton and ammo cost/availability is insane, 20 caps per cryo round vs. 4 caps per .45 round.

Maybe it's a big gun and with the big guns perk it would be aces? Dunno but both my combat rifle and laser rifle do 60+ damage per shot and they're not even fully modded yet, so :effort:

Same dealie with the stupid junk jet. Thing weighs like 40 pounds, does 40 damage, and uses the precious garbage I have stored in my hobo bindle as ammunition? Dude, I'm still rocking a loving 80-damage silenced pipe rifle that one-shots every enemy on screen. Even if I was rolling with power armor all the time, it's just not economical to lug this thing around as a daily driver shooting all my aluminum and desk fans at people. I would never use it except for a god-mode comedy tour.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Stingly posted:

Same dealie with the stupid junk jet. Thing weighs like 40 pounds, does 40 damage, and uses the precious garbage I have stored in my hobo bindle as ammunition? Dude, I'm still rocking a loving 80-damage silenced pipe rifle that one-shots every enemy on screen. Even if I was rolling with power armor all the time, it's just not economical to lug this thing around as a daily driver shooting all my aluminum and desk fans at people. I would never use it except for a god-mode comedy tour.

I haven't found a top hat yet to remake my Moneybags character to murder raiders with dollar bills. :(

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

dollar bills. :(

Pro tip: cloth isn't super rare in this game so it's not a huge thing but you should pick up all pre-war money you see because it makes cloth and has zero carry weight and always comes in fairly large numbers. So it's a good way to pick up 50 cloth all at once with no added encumbrance.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also if you no longer need cloth you can make yourself a giant pile of money to roll around in.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

How is Fallout 4 more linear than Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Skyrim?

That was kind of my point, their style of writing is pretty evident in the elder scrolls games. Fallout 3 tried to pretend to be different but they really did not know how to do that.

I am reminded of the design goal Black Isle originally had with Fallout, where they wanted to write the game to support three types of playstyle and designed the whole game around supporting these three pillars; You had a combat option, a diplomatic charismatic option and a sneaky thievish option. All of Fallout 1 and I believe 2 could be beat entirely by any of these three playstyles. It was their goal to support and offer this degree of freedom.

Bethesda has offered the pillars as options, but those options always still devolve into combat, making them meaningless. That is how I think Bethesda could improve their games, even though I don't think they will. Which is a shame, considering that was the Core of Fallout.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

The sentrybot back panel thing feels like a really big design oversight for something that's otherwise pretty well engineered.

I've found most of the pre-war robots to be bastards to deal with. One having a weak point I can target while it's distracted is something I can live with, design oversight be damned.

Incidently, at night you can see an assaultrons death ray light up the hills from a long ways off at night :stare:.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Huh? How does the absence of karma take away freedom or make things any more linear :confused: You can still do whatever you want in terms of being a "good guy" or being a total rear end in a top hat, join opposing factions, etc.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Someone asked earlier but there was no response: How do you get the Ballistic Weave people are talking about to work? I have Armorer 2 and nothing I try is showing up in the crafting window. Even things that are stated to work like Dirty Army Fatigues or whatever they were called.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Someone asked earlier but there was no response: How do you get the Ballistic Weave people are talking about to work? I have Armorer 2 and nothing I try is showing up in the crafting window. Even things that are stated to work like Dirty Army Fatigues or whatever they were called.

Military Grade Duct Tape. I've seen a vendor sell a batch of just the resource too but it was on the road and I don't remember the name.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Pro tip: cloth isn't super rare in this game so it's not a huge thing but you should pick up all pre-war money you see because it makes cloth and has zero carry weight and always comes in fairly large numbers. So it's a good way to pick up 50 cloth all at once with no added encumbrance.

gently caress pre-war money is a resource? I was wondering where it all went. I made beds out of it. :argh:

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Stingly posted:

Already planning on using my most polished armor and firing gold ingots I've found along with Lead ones from crafting.
"Death by Rags and Riches my good man!"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

Huh? How does the absence of karma take away freedom or make things any more linear :confused: You can still do whatever you want in terms of being a "good guy" or being a total rear end in a top hat, join opposing factions, etc.

I don't think that is what I said.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

New Leaf posted:

It's a thing from the Railroad place.

It's crazy, though. Highest level of ballistic weave turns a cloth item into 110/110 damage reduction. Currently my whole layered set has like 70/70 combined.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

New Leaf posted:

You've got to join the Railroad. Once you do a few quests for them, one of them will give you a quest to go find an old pre-war cache. Talk to the merchant in their base after turning in that quest, (And maybe another couple quests afterwards) and they'll mention the ballistic weave mod and start selling clothing with the name "Armored <Whatever>" After that, you can start adding ballistic weave to other outfits at the armor crafting table. What outfits can get the add-on seems pretty variable, but if it's something with any amount of armor on its own, it probably won't work.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

That was kind of my point, their style of writing is pretty evident in the elder scrolls games. Fallout 3 tried to pretend to be different but they really did not know how to do that.

I am reminded of the design goal Black Isle originally had with Fallout, where they wanted to write the game to support three types of playstyle and designed the whole game around supporting these three pillars; You had a combat option, a diplomatic charismatic option and a sneaky thievish option. All of Fallout 1 and I believe 2 could be beat entirely by any of these three playstyles. It was their goal to support and offer this degree of freedom.

Bethesda has offered the pillars as options, but those options always still devolve into combat, making them meaningless. That is how I think Bethesda could improve their games, even though I don't think they will. Which is a shame, considering that was the Core of Fallout.

You won't get any argument from me that Black isle Fallout is less linear than Bethesda Fallout. What you said was that at one point Bethesda was "pretending" to be open-ended on a Black Isle level and that they "stopped". On what game were they pretending and in what way was it more open-ended than Fallout 4 from a gameplay perspective?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I took out the Mirelurk Queen at The Castle. I don't know what everyone shat their pants about because the battle was pretty easy. Sure she's a bit of a bullet sponge, but her attacks are all super telegraphed and you can wait on the inside and shoot out of the doorway while she's occupied with Preston or the other Minutemen. Like other mirelurks, her face is a weak point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

unseenlibrarian posted:

You've got to join the Railroad. Once you do a few quests for them, one of them will give you a quest to go find an old pre-war cache. Talk to the merchant in their base after turning in that quest, (And maybe another couple quests afterwards) and they'll mention the ballistic weave mod and start selling clothing with the name "Armored <Whatever>" After that, you can start adding ballistic weave to other outfits at the armor crafting table. What outfits can get the add-on seems pretty variable, but if it's something with any amount of armor on its own, it probably won't work.

It seems completely random. Some of the stuff with decent armor, like the Courser uniform, can be reinforced.

Edit: I am irrationally annoyed that you can't reinforce the military cap.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 18, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh good, I just joined them last night! Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight..

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress pre-war money is a resource? I was wondering where it all went. I made beds out of it. :argh:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Are there any gun mods exclusive to crafting? Because as is I'm doing just fine pulling poo poo off all the junk but modded out Pipe weapons I find and using those. Don't even cost any resources.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Other than the opening and the ending do people really hate the writing of this game? None of it is Shakespeare but I feel like for videogame writing I'm pretty into this story and find at least some of the quests interesting and engaging story wise. Like I took lone wanderer first thing because I hated companions in the other games so much and now regret it because there is so many that I actually feel invested in the story of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Noyemi K posted:

I took out the Mirelurk Queen at The Castle. I don't know what everyone shat their pants about because the battle was pretty easy. Sure she's a bit of a bullet sponge, but her attacks are all super telegraphed and you can wait on the inside and shoot out of the doorway while she's occupied with Preston or the other Minutemen. Like other mirelurks, her face is a weak point.

She sure took a lot of pipe rifle shots considering my pipe rifle did about 30 damage. Also she could almost one hit kill me in power armor. Still, it did only take a couple tries when I used a bunch of explosives.

Hiding in a doorway and plinking while she wrecks the Minutemen is likely effective but I don't play fantastical video games just to role play as a buddyfucking coward. I engaged in a lot of drugs, kiting, and ate a week's worth of food in that fight.

The legendary red blood widow or whatever mosquito was the real rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread