Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Bootcha posted:

Consider this my public statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4-oHfJNrr0

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.

Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bootcha posted:

I, under the name "Bootcha", an investor with Cloud Imperium Games from Nov 13, 2012 till today, have decided to part ways with Cloud Imperium Games. As such, my investment has been returned to me, as is, with no accumulated interest. I no longer have any remaining business, legal interest, or influential bearing with Cloud Imperium Games and their ongoing business operations, and they have no further obligations towards me.

My opinions have been public, honest, and within the terms of my NDA. I enjoyed helping Star Citizen however I could, and was blessed to meet and befriend so many passionate artists, engineers, and designers. However, this project no longer has need of me, nor I of it.

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling, Mr. Smart for being frank and open with me, many past and present CIG employees for talking to me, Ben Lesnick for giving me this opportunity in the first place, Imp Zone for shaking some sense into me, and the Goons as a whole for ruining everything.
Congratulations. Are you still bound by the NDA?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bootcha posted:

https://youtu.be/WB9SL-mZtVY?t=1m3s

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

I would like to thank fuzzknot for giving me the kick in the rear end to get this exit ball rolling.

That's what I'm here for.

Congratulations again!

Love you, too.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MrDorf posted:

Sept 30 - Refund started.
Oct 9 - Refund granted on after several back and forth emails about what motivated the decision to ask for a refund. Was told 5-10 days for paypal refund.
Oct 16 thru Nov 18 - CIG account is confirmed closed, but no activity on paypal acct., reopened support ticket asking for update on Oct 16 and again a couple weeks later. Received a half dozen automated "You're in my queue but I still can't talk to you yet" messages.
Nov 18th - This gem arrives -

" I've investigated your refund and it looks as though Patrick did, indeed, request a refund but somewhere along the line it didn't get approved by the finance team. I'm unsure as to the reason for this but nevertheless we'll get it sorted ASAP for you.

I've re-submitted it and highlighted this error for you so your refund should be processed in the next couple of days."

So I read this as:
1.) Finance doesn't know about/approve of CS issuing refunds.
2.) CS is knowingly issuing refunds without Finances approval.
3.) Finance is declining things selectively/just because.

Any one of those makes me happier and happier I chose to bail.

How much is your refund

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well done Bootcha that is very good indeed
My boobs are on fire

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MrDorf posted:

True, but the subtext of the message is shockingly poor given the questions being asked of their company. I actually run a small support group as part of my daily duties, and if one of my reps said something like that to a customer we'd be having a sit-down right quick. It's one thing to mask a mistake with a "technical out", or better yet just own up to it...but it's a different story when you're defending your team by throwing another part of your own company under the bus. If there is some toxic "us vs them" internal bickering between teams then the CS manager may care about the distinction, but the customer does not, and just takes away an impression of a mismanaged mess of a company that they won't continue doing business with. This is of course under the assumption that this was a poorly written excuse and not the truth, which carries a different, but equally disturbing set of implications.

Oh I totally agree. Either way it's entirely unacceptable coming from any company let alone one that's under that level of scrutiny. It just struck me as more of a "this guy's a scumbag" thing and not "holy poo poo they actually are out of money" thing, although it could be either. Or both! It's probably both.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

1500 posted:

Before you downloaded ED it stated that by downloading ED you will not get a refund (that was their policy).
They might as well have a policy that by downloading the game you agree to give them your firstborn, it doesn't mean it's legal everywhere and even in places were it might be it doesn't mean you have to bat for it.

quote:

If you spend 10's-100's of hours playing a game, you should not expect to get a refund (my own opinion).
So what? Can Croberts drop SC as it is and then deny refunds to people that have "10's-100's of hours playing Arena Commander"? Don't want to give refunds? Then don't promise features on KS only to backtrack later.

1500 posted:

When I backed SC I did not expect to be able to get my money back, as would most responsible adults, because it was CIG's policy to not give refunds (it still is).
In the EU we call those people "suckers", not "responsible adults".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bootcha posted:

It must be a huge relief :)

:gary: Congrats! :yarg:

e: also this

Mirificus posted:

Are you still bound by the NDA?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

:eyepop:

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

loving awesome. Also, so many floating cat heads :)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bootcha posted:

My god, dat final collage of all the propaganda...I remember every last one of those from way back when the goons first announced their presence!

So much of it and it almost makes me think it was actually worth giving a drat about this whole loving mess of a 'game'...almost.

Congrats on getting out and can't wait for your very final video. :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is a wonderful video

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
party at Bootchas

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

1500 posted:

Nope not at all, never acted like a shitzen, and there is zero shame to be had. I never said people should not get a refund from FD, or from CIG for that matter, nor that they should not ask. I expect adults to take responsibility for their own actions. Before you downloaded ED it stated that by downloading ED you will not get a refund (that was their policy). If you spend 10's-100's of hours playing a game, you should not expect to get a refund (my own opinion). None of the features FD stated in their kickstarter (same for SC) is set in stone. People were crying about not getting refunds after they knew that not all features could be in the game, after playing for 10s-100s of hours online, and after they read that by downloading the game FD did not want to give them a refund (legally if they could enforce that does not matter).

When I backed SC I did not expect to be able to get my money back, as would most responsible adults, because it was CIG's policy to not give refunds (it still is). It was the risk I took, and my responsibility for taking that risk.

Now that CR has stated that they would give refunds to people that want out, why not. I didn't and don't have a problem with FD giving refunds or with people asking for refunds, that is just BS that keeps getting repeated over and over again. In fact i have said that if you were holding out for offline, then you should defiantly get a refund, or if you barely played then again you should get a refund. But at some point people should take responsibility for their own actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMD1mH3vUI

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Bootcha posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I know a lot of people say they don't want star citizen to fail they just want a good game or whatever but I want it to fail, I want it to crash and burn in the most horrible way possible because of people like this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

How much is your refund

Just over $400 I think? I got swept up in the Bomber Bros movement. Space B-17's man.

That's still such a cool thought, goddamn I hate them for ruining it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wafflz posted:

I know a lot of people say they don't want star citizen to fail they just want a good game or whatever but I want it to fail, I want it to crash and burn in the most horrible way possible because of people like this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the fact that Bootcha got out of this without losing his investment tells me that there is some justice in the world

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Wafflz posted:

I want it to fail because popcorn. Also shitizens.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wafflz posted:

If that's what you'll get entertainment wise form the game then it has to be respected imo, fun is fun and that is what games are supposed to be for.
Me? I want to be ragdolling around the 'Verse for years to come watching a slow bleed of players, janky bugs, broken promises and a slow but steady shift from happy backers to bewildered dead beats with nothing left to lose venting all over the net about this poo poo show, I want that to happen for decades if possible

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

This is 100% about watching the world burn now.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

the fact that Bootcha got out of this without losing his investment tells me that there is some justice in the world

The timing on this and with CIG getting extra dickish about refunds suggests to me it was a huge blow. Don't know how me managed it. Bootcha are you a made man in the Swedish Mafia?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
CIG should be thankful Bootcha isn't making them pay interest :colbert:

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's probably why he got out at all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Berious posted:

The timing on this and with CIG getting extra dickish about refunds suggests to me it was a huge blow. Don't know how me managed it. Bootcha are you a made man in the Swedish Mafia?

Word is Bens company breakfasts have been dropped from both Mondays and Thurdays to re coup the losses
Dark days

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

i feel like they saw the writing on the wall, either they just let him out nice and easy with no interest or try to dick him over and they probably lose investment + interest + legal fees

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ben is fat you see and eats a lot of food

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bootcha the glorious.

I suspect the shitizens will mass report that video for copyright infringement or something, so watch it while you can.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Congratulations on getting your money back,

Mirificus posted:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

i feel like they saw the writing on the wall, either they just let him out nice and easy with no interest or try to dick him over and they probably lose investment + interest + legal fees

quote:

Yes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Getting to hold onto someone's money for four years interest free is already dicking them over.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bootcha posted:

I really wish I had sound on my work pc right now.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Bootcha getting his refund is probably preventing goons from getting theirs. Bootcha pulled a pretty good "gently caress Goons" move.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

Getting to hold onto someone's money for four years interest free is already dicking them over.

Yes but its easier for all involved I'm guessing

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

neonbregna posted:

Bootcha getting his refund is probably preventing goons from getting theirs. Bootcha pulled a pretty good "gently caress Goons" move.

Citizen, do a chargeback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Does that NDA evaporate when CIG implode?

• Locked thread