Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Radish posted:

I dunno. Our President had choice words to say about people being lovely to the refugees and a lot of Governors are committed to still taking them in. I don't think it's something the country as a whole has failed but the "I'm so scared I need my precious AR to protect me from hordes of The Others :ohdear:" people certainly did. Apparently even the Evangelical Christians are unhappy with the tone of gently caress Refuges.

I see a lot of memes on Facebook about how the Nativity starts off with a middle eastern couple seeking refuge for the birth of their child. That, and since they have honest concern for at least Christian refugees and have some level of awareness and empathy for their plight, we may have a rare situation in which Evangelicals are too informed for right-wing rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats why I said the AUMF 2002, which authorized war against Iraq. Conveniently ISIS claims to be Iraq so we're good to go!
So our airstrikes in Iraq might be legal, but not Syria. And by this logic, the 2003 Iraq War was legal. Terrific.:v:

Hodgepodge posted:

I see a lot of memes on Facebook about how the Nativity starts off with a middle eastern couple seeking refuge for the birth of their child. That, and since they have honest concern for at least Christian refugees and have some level of awareness and empathy for their plight, we may have a rare situation in which Evangelicals are too informed for right-wing rhetoric.
If the Evangelicals would be on the correct side of an issue for once that would be amazing.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Despite living in constant fear and terror, the brave patriots over in Phoenix Arizona are giving a big ol' American gently caress YOU to Daesh by going to Starbucks.

http://www.kpho.com/story/30532420/concerns-raised-about-teror-threats#ixzz3riMICOvp

Local news, everyone.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

Well, gee fellas I sure can't see how that could possibly be abused.

Looks like Hillary Clinton gets more than three free kills. :getin:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aerox posted:

Despite living in constant fear and terror, the brave patriots over in Phoenix Arizona are giving a big ol' American gently caress YOU to Daesh by going to Starbucks.

http://www.kpho.com/story/30532420/concerns-raised-about-teror-threats#ixzz3riMICOvp

Local news, everyone.

Looks like she's writing a screenplay about a brave patriot, who against all odds and adversity got a cup of iced mocha.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think the fear is that state governments will do explicitly illegal things like deny Medicaid eligibility, just because they know they can get away with it in the short term.

Cops in Albuquerque don't like the repeal of civil assets forfeiture, so they are just continuing to steal from the populace. Does that count?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ben Carson re-imagines New England in bid to keep refugees out:

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/11/ben-carsons-us-map-gets-new-england-geography-all-wrong/416565/?utm_source=SFFB

As a GIS professional, I feel qualified to say that this original map was not a mistake. It takes a lot of effort of gently caress up a digital map that badly in any GIS software. Or at the very least, it takes about five times as much effort to do that editing than it does to make the map in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These people man

quote:

Two Syrian refugee families who had been approved to be moved to the United States and were scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis on Thursday have been officially told they are not welcome.

A day after Gov. Mike Pence told all state agencies to suspend the resettlement of additional Syrian refugees in Indiana after the deadly attacks in Paris, an Indiana Family & Social Services official sent letters Tuesday to two organizations that help settle refugees saying the placement of the two Syrian families had been suspended.

Nice try ISIS.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Here's a welcome return: DIY abortions

quote:

Ever since Texas passed HB2 in 2013, the omnibus abortion law at the heart of a pivotal case the Supreme Court will review early next year, more than half of the state's 41 abortion clinics have been forced to close. As these closures have mounted, advocates in the state have worried that the decline in abortion access could lead to a rise in the number of women trying to terminate pregnancies by themselves.

A new study quantifies some of those fears: At least 100,000 Texas women—and as many as 240,000—between the ages of 18 and 49 have attempted to self-induce abortions, according to a report released today by the Texas Policy Evaluation Project (TxPEP). The study also found that it is possible that the rate of women attempting to self-induce abortions is rising in Texas as a result of the state's additional restrictions on abortion care

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/11/thousands-texas-women-are-trying-self-induce-abortions

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Riatsala posted:

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015/11/ben-carsons-us-map-gets-new-england-geography-all-wrong/416565/?utm_source=SFFB

As a GIS professional, I feel qualified to say that this original map was not a mistake. It takes a lot of effort of gently caress up a digital map that badly in any GIS software. Or at the very least, it takes about five times as much effort to do that editing than it does to make the map in the first place.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Reminder that Indiana has sent at least 2 women to jail under infanticide laws for self induced abortions/miscarriages

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fried Chicken posted:

USPOL Nov: The Second Time Jindal Quit A Race

USPOL Nov: Jindal Walks Awkwardly Back to the Governor's Podium

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that Indiana has sent at least 2 women to jail under infanticide laws for self induced abortions/miscarriages

Mike Pence did those refugees a favor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If SCOTUS upholds those Texas restrictions, it's just going to get worse, but this time in all states. Good job America.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really can't wait (actually I can) to hear how Roberts justifies all the clinics closing by saying how since the law didn't technically say it was to close all the abortion clinics it's totally not a way around Roe vs Wade. Scalia will just gloat like the poo poo he is then bitch about activist judges because of something he's the minority on the same day.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Was this discussed yesterday? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...31551&tid=ss_fb

quote:

In a new poll released by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) on Tuesday, a whopping 43 percent of Americans told researchers that discrimination against whites has become as large a problem as discrimination against blacks and other minority groups. And an even bigger share of Americans — 53 percent — told pollsters American culture and "way of life" have mostly changed for the worse since 1950.

My privilege :qq:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Oh god is Stuart Slade going back to writing boring wish fulfillment?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Riatsala posted:

After looking at the map for a bit, it looks like Connecticut and everything northeast of it (Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine) was detached, and then the western border of Connecticut was attached to northeastern Vermont.

How and why the gently caress that happened is a mystery for the ages.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Riatsala posted:

Hey I am trying to make a simple map for map modding reasons, any chance can I email you questions on how to do some tricky things?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think some awful Carson intern just wanted to make the map more narrow so they did some extreme grafting. Why they did that instead of, you know, making it slightly smaller is a mystery.

Or it's a glimpse at a future when Carson rearranges New England geography to create a narrow ghetto for liberals in the new Conservative America.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Alaska should come out of that "Don't know how to help" our Governor has said that he trusts the Feds process, and has more important things to worry about.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 18, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bush Calls For Sending U.S. Troops to the Middle East

Deja vu all over again...

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hey I am trying to make a simple map for map modding reasons, any chance can I email you questions on how to do some tricky things?

Sure thing, I hope I can be of help.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 18, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I'm doin' just like my big bro George, you proud of me mama and papa? Why won't you love me too :qq:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mulva posted:

Alaska should come out of that "Don't know how to help" our Governor has said that he trust the Feds process and has more important things to worry about.

so did mine, but that's explicitly a dodge

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.trust.org/item/20151118193719-25g7p

5 Guys with stolen and modified Syrian passports were stopped in Honduras on their way to the US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And their burgers are overrated :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.trust.org/item/20151118193719-25g7p

5 Guys with stolen and modified Syrian passports were stopped in Honduras on their way to the US.

Proof that the system works which will be used as proof that refugees are just too dangerous.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

Proof that the system works which will be used as proof that refugees are just too dangerous.

Its proof that these guys are purposefully stealing/acquiring Syrian passports and then using them to screw the refugees.

Chances are they have tons of the things from their campaign in Syria from all the people they've killed.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

MariusLecter posted:

I'm doin' just like my big bro George, you proud of me mama and papa? Why won't you love me too :qq:

"Maybe we don't need to go into Iraq again" - Barbara Bush at the breakfast table

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to wait to see that report confirmed and elaborated upon before I start wringing my hands.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Stolen Greek passports. They're not even pretending to be refugees.

But the GOP will still act like they were.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Riatsala posted:

Sure thing, I hope I can be of help.

Tell me when you've got it written down: REDACTED

Got it!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Even if evangelicals are on the right side of this, it doesn't mean poo poo if they vote for the wrong side of the issue which they no doubt will just like all the obamacare recipients in KY who are now moaning that they're going to lose healthcare and die

I hope I'm proven wrong but their muted complaints mean nothing if their vote is assured

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Even if evangelicals are on the right side of this, it doesn't mean poo poo if they vote for the wrong side of the issue which they no doubt will just like all the obamacare recipients in KY who are now moaning that they're going to lose healthcare and die

I hope I'm proven wrong but their muted complaints mean nothing if their vote is assured

The idea is that if they aren't happy with the candidate they will stay home like they did for all of American History prior to 1976.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

mcmagic posted:

People who live in those states should stop voting for them. If not, they are getting the government they deserve.

And thanks to first past the post style democracy, even the people who didn't vote for them are getting the government they (don't) deserve!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Can the Feds be called in to help enforce laws when the State law enforcement openly defies the law? Considering the state outlawed this particular form of theft-by-cop any LEO continuing the practice is just a thief and in the case of taking cars couldn't you call for charges of grand theft just like in any other case of someone taking cars illegally?

:perfect:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Holy poo poo he literally cited the Japanese internment to support his argument.

• Locked thread