Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.
If you had actually paid attention to those spoilers they were the memories of a guy whose 'friend' worked at a printing company. He straight up said they were imperfect, but close to the real card.
I am 90% on these being real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Human Crouton posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation have confirmed that they are real.

Mods on mtgsalvation closed the thread on Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh as fake because "some pixels" two hours after the thread was posted (strangely, the source was this thread). MTGSalvation's mods just make poo poo up as to whether a card is real or not. Becuase MTGS is a cesspool.

To quote: "In the modern era (since people started putting together reasonably competent fake card layouts for faking purposes) there's really one thing to look at in evaluating a picture of a card: where's the art come from? Professional-grade fantasy illustration doesn't just grow on trees, so generally people making fake cards have to pull it off of publicly accessible places (DeviantArt, etc.) Most of the time when art is sourced from one of these, people can track it down pretty quick and prove the card's a fake. Conversely, unseen art which no one can track down points strongly at a real card.

In this case, the art is even more significant than usual. In both cases, it's depicting something that couldn't just be a random piece of repurposed fantasy art, but something narrowly specific to MTG. The picture of Kozilek is, very specifically, a picture of Kozilek, it can't be anything else -- and we haven't seen any source reveal images for OGW that this might have been pulled from, nor is it old promo art from the first block. The Wastes image is actually even more specific -- it depicts mountains converted into bismuth patterns (which, as we saw on Kozilek's Sentinel, is the destruction effect left by Kozilek's brood) in a world where there are floating rocks in the sky, which is insanely specific to Zendikar. And since the bismuth thing is new for BFZ and didn't appear in ROE, it can't possibly be old leftover art. Given all that, it's hard to draw a reasonable conclusion about either illustration other than that they're real, and if they're real then the cards are also real."

VVVVV

Zoness posted:

Can we get the neogaf analysis on this though

Seems fine to me, I thought he had a well-written point and nobody cares about the source of the argument. :shrug:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 18, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OFS please restate all your reasons why you think they're fake. You keep repeating the conclusion, but I don't see any convincing arguments.

Not wanting to introduce something in a small set? That's meaningless. What does the number of cards in a set have to do with anything? They're jettisoning the 3 block paradigm they can jettison any conventions about when is the 'right' time to do anything.

No reminder text? If it's something intrinsic to the game from now on I can easily see them dispensing with reminder text, especially on a full art card and two mythic rares.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Can we get the neogaf analysis on this though

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This sounds like a distinction that could not possibly bother anyone except Maro, so they're probably real and you're probably right.

In fact, the difference between colorless and generic mana does bother Maro.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

EatinCake posted:

All the discussion about a new mana symbol has got me and a buddy talking about 'snowdrazi', and, well

Emrakul, the Seasons Festive

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The evidence that they are real seems overwhelming. The bismuth theme is consistent with prior cards, the Kozilek art is real, and that Kozilek art did not exist on the internet before yesterday.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This sounds like a distinction that could not possibly bother anyone except Maro, so they're probably real and you're probably right.

Well, the thing is that from a mechanical perspective generic mana and colorless mana aren't the same thing.

The only reason it hasn't previously been an issue is because colorless mana has never actually mattered in the game. Trying to make a set with a "colorless matters" theme is going to run into that problem eventually.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Your hypothesis is that they're printing an Eldrazi Mythic that will actually be literally unplayable in 99% of formats after the prerelease?

They did it once in BFZ, so there's precedent.

(I kid, newlamog is actually playable)

Northjayhawk posted:

I could see them using this "mechanic" in future sets, could even be evergreen. Its general enough that it doesn't have to be a Kozilek thing, and it might solve a problem with artifacts. Artifacts have color pie issues, but if you can require colorless, then you can make stronger pie-infringing artifacts since you'd have to weaken your mana base to gain access to it.

It would be a very big change in the rules if this becomes an every-set thing, but players can learn it, its intuitive, and seems to solve a long-standing problem.

that just makes it a 6th color, I doubt it will extend beyond this set / eldrazi, but when we Return Yet Again To Ravnica because Emrakul is rolling in for end-game, they will totally show up again to ruin Ravnica's duals.

(This card is fake.)

The lack of reminder text to give ♦ meaning is part of why they are fake, because it's ambiguous as hell and this is a really big thing to introduce in the small set.

Like I said, this is a 3rd set problem thing, where one set had to go in a wacky direction to maintain interest, like 5th dawn's WUBRG theme or Saviors cards-in-hand thing. Except Devoid/Ingest/Allies/Landfall/Converge really shouldn't have this problem in a two-set block.

Reminder text is often left off rares and mythics for space considerations.

I still think there is a high likelihood of these being fake but the cards and ideas are trite enough that they feel very in line with wotc. The typo on "alleksi" and the timing are the only things that really make me think "fake."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'll bet someone a foil Wastes that these are real.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So what numpad combination are you guys using to recreate the diamond? :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Ctrl + V

That or I could do <>.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

Hold ALT, press 4, release ALT.

Sigma-X posted:

I still think there is a high likelihood of these being fake but the cards and ideas are trite enough that they feel very in line with wotc. The typo on "alleksi" and the timing are the only things that really make me think "fake."
Not sure which typo you're referring to - it seems correct on the version of the card I saw.

I was also skeptical of the fact it was marked "Common" instead of "Land" as well, but now that I think about it we already know that OGW doesn't have a basic land sheet (Maro confirmed OGW Fat Packs have land packs with BFZ full arts).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

that just makes it a 6th color, I doubt it will extend beyond this set / eldrazi, but when we Return Yet Again To Ravnica because Emrakul is rolling in for end-game, they will totally show up again to ruin Ravnica's duals.

Artifacts are in such a sad, sorry state right now (maybe 1 or 2 playable per block) that they either need to do something big like this, or just get rid of the concept of colorless spells outside of eldrazi. Also, it could just be a minor theme in most sets, make sure you have basic and nonbasic lands in every set that can produce a colorless and then you can have powerful artifacts.

Having this in the game going forward makes a lot of sense and solves some long-standing issues. I don't think it would be confusing to players to errata all old colorless-producing cards, because going forward you would never again see anything produce {}, that generic mana with a number symbol would only exist in casting costs from now on. If they had to design magic all over again, they should have designed it that way, give colorless mana its own symbol like the diamond separate from the generic cost symbol.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Hold ALT, press 4, release ALT.

♦ Thanks~ ♦

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, the thing is that from a mechanical perspective generic mana and colorless mana aren't the same thing.

The only reason it hasn't previously been an issue is because colorless mana has never actually mattered in the game. Trying to make a set with a "colorless matters" theme is going to run into that problem eventually.

The only thing I'm willing to call real is the art and the frame :smugbert: if the names and text are real there is nothing I can do so why get upset?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

bhsman posted:

You can use :d: if you want. :c:, :d:, :h:, and :s: are all left overs from PITR.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

Artifacts are in such a sad, sorry state right now (maybe 1 or 2 playable per block) that they either need to do something big like this

When has this not been the case aside from artifacts/equipment as a pushed theme?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

♦ Thanks~ ♦

Unfortuantely I have no idea how to make generic mana symbols, like ② even though they exist as some kind of code.

PleasantDirge posted:

The only thing I'm willing to call real is the art and the frame :smugbert: if the names and text are real there is nothing I can do so why get upset?

I'm not sure who's upset?

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Angry Grimace posted:

I was also skeptical of the fact it was marked "Common" instead of "Land" as well, but now that I think about it we already know that OGW doesn't have a basic land sheet (Maro confirmed OGW Fat Packs have land packs with BFZ full arts).

I kind of wonder if they would either replace the basic land slot in OGW packs with Wastes or have Wastes be one of the lands that comes up in that slot.

If it's just another common in the pack then we may get to see a modern-day recreation of everyone trying to open enough packs to get enough basics for their Karn/Kozilek EDH deck just like in the early days of Magic.

But in actuality they're probably just going to put tons of them in each Intro Pack and people will actually buy them.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Sigma-X posted:

They did it once in BFZ, so there's precedent.

(I kid, newlamog is actually playable)

Reminder text is often left off rares and mythics for space considerations.

I would 1000% support another return to Ravnica just so I can play Maze's End again. I'd kill for some full art guildates

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

NivMizzet posted:

I kind of wonder if they would either replace the basic land slot in OGW packs with Wastes or have Wastes be one of the lands that comes up in that slot.

If it's just another common in the pack then we may get to see a modern-day recreation of everyone trying to open enough packs to get enough basics for their Karn/Kozilek EDH deck just like in the early days of Magic.

But in actuality they're probably just going to put tons of them in each Intro Pack and people will actually buy them.
There's nothing stopping them from having multiple arts and collector numbers for Wastes so they occur more frequently, since they're a basic land.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.

Thoughtseize in Modern Masters.

e: I can believe these cards are real - I don't know if they are, but it wouldn't floor me - but Lord knows it won't be because MTGSalvation said so without a cited source.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Oh, and in case we forget, Uncharted Realms is back to Battle for Zendikar.

Today's riveting (and unfortunately, Krienes-penned) tale, "Hedron Alignment."

* Gideon, Kiora, Drana, Nissa and a couple of random people from Zendikar are meeting in a war room to discuss how they should deal with Ulamog (a scout has informed them he's coming). The rest of the army doesn't know Ulamog is coming yet so they have a bit of time to plan. Kiora's plan is to bum-rush Ulamog with the Bident (she's kind of an arrogant jerk) and Drana, of course, likes fighting so she's solidly in. They also have Nissa's axe.

* Jace wanders back into camp, and acts super smug about how much smarter he is than everyone. He's awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness (this is a theme, everyone is awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness the entire story). Jace tries to explain to them he wants to trap the Eldrazi in the ALIGNED HEDRON NETWORK. Kiora gets pissed the gently caress off because she wants to kill him; Drana and Kiora agree. Jace repeats Ugin's warning that it will leave and eat some other plane. Kiora says, "so?" but Nissa suddenly changes her mind because she feels guilty.

* Kiora basically says "gently caress off" and summons an Octopus to take her away. Jace tries one last time to convince her, this time using MIND POWERS. Kiora does not loving like this and attacks Jace. Jace has to be protected by Gideon-senpai because Jace is a little bitch.

* Jace sets up the plan to arrange hedrons into an aligned network. It's apparently a pain in the rear end to do. Ulamog shows up and Gideon fights him one-on-one; Jace is all full of admiration for Gideon-senpai yet again.

* They close the network around Ulamog, but something's wrong. Nissa uses her magic elf powers to determine that there's a problem with one of the hedrons. Nissa asks Jace why his poo poo is broken. He's like "IDK" so she invites him to do a mind-meld. I can't tell if Jace is hot for Nissa or something or the writer is just that terrible with the prose, but he gets a little weird about it. They fix it because she can see leylines and poo poo.

* Ulamog is trapped. Bobby Nixon kills a random grunt and says some generic evil poo poo and presumably gives a Ted DiBiase laugh. The story ends on that.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation have confirmed that they are real.

I wouldn't trust the mods on mtgsalvation to tell me the colour of the sky.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Rimusutera posted:

I wouldn't trust the mods on mtgsalvation to tell me the colour of the sky.

Its not a coin-flip when they confirm something, they blow it sometimes but they usually have at least a 90% hit rate, and this particular case has an unusual amount of evidence supporting it being real.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dzyl (http://www.twitch.tv/dzyl) is currently drafting an absurd March of the Machines + Jeskai Ascendancy + mana artifacts deck in the new cube. He is so amazing. :allears:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
My one issue with the idea of using "colorless only" as cost reduction is that it has a good chance to break mana accelaration decks in older formats

I mean, probably not because those tend to actually be prison decks, but still

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It being fake would require a ridiculous confluence of events and far more effort than them being leaked spoilers. Occam's Razor can be applied here fairly readily I think. Them being fake would require people getting the art (before the art is publically available), making fakes that are templated correctly, and predict the story beats in a satisfying way that I think most people didn't predict, and create a convincing counterfeit.

Meanwhile all you need for them to be real is someone in a print shop to leak them. This happened for BFZ indirectly with the Gideon/Ob Nix spoilers, which were secondhand.

Also, remember that Wizards doesn't really care about eternal formats when making mechanics. They barely test for modern in the development phase.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh, and in case we forget, Uncharted Realms is back to Battle for Zendikar.

Today's riveting (and unfortunately, Krienes-penned) tale, "Hedron Alignment."

* Gideon, Kiora, Drana, Nissa and a couple of random people from Zendikar are meeting in a war room to discuss how they should deal with Ulamog (a scout has informed them he's coming). The rest of the army doesn't know Ulamog is coming yet so they have a bit of time to plan. Kiora's plan is to bum-rush Ulamog with the Bident (she's kind of an arrogant jerk) and Drana, of course, likes fighting so she's solidly in. They also have Nissa's axe.

* Jace wanders back into camp, and acts super smug about how much smarter he is than everyone. He's awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness (this is a theme, everyone is awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness the entire story). Jace tries to explain to them he wants to trap the Eldrazi in the ALIGNED HEDRON NETWORK. Kiora gets pissed the gently caress off because she wants to kill him; Drana and Kiora agree. Jace repeats Ugin's warning that it will leave and eat some other plane. Kiora says, "so?" but Nissa suddenly changes her mind because she feels guilty.

* Kiora basically says "gently caress off" and summons an Octopus to take her away. Jace tries one last time to convince her, this time using MIND POWERS. Kiora does not loving like this and attacks Jace. Jace has to be protected by Gideon-senpai because Jace is a little bitch.

* Jace sets up the plan to arrange hedrons into an aligned network. It's apparently a pain in the rear end to do. Ulamog shows up and Gideon fights him one-on-one; Jace is all full of admiration for Gideon-senpai yet again.

* They close the network around Ulamog, but something's wrong. Nissa uses her magic elf powers to determine that there's a problem with one of the hedrons. Nissa asks Jace why his poo poo is broken. He's like "IDK" so she invites him to do a mind-meld. I can't tell if Jace is hot for Nissa or something or the writer is just that terrible with the prose, but he gets a little weird about it. They fix it because she can see leylines and poo poo.

* Ulamog is trapped. Bobby Nixon kills a random grunt and says some generic evil poo poo and presumably gives a Ted DiBiase laugh. The story ends on that.

Is this different from the time just before that Ulamog was trapped and Ob Nixilis disrupted the alignment? These stories are all blurring together.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lancelot posted:

Is this different from the time just before that Ulamog was trapped and Ob Nixilis disrupted the alignment? These stories are all blurring together.
This is the actual short story version of part 1 of those events. We just had the summary from the Fat Pack booklet.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I think the spoiled cards are real. If they are fake, they're by far the best looking fakes I've ever seen. I'm guessing that <> is just the new way they have to represent specifically colorless mana. This means that all old lands will have to be errata'd but it also means that going into the future new lands will get printed that produce <>. Printing a basic with no land type is a pretty simple and clever way to sidestep the issue with having a 6th basic land type. It's so obvious that you can do that but without colorless specific costs there is no reason to do it. Also the Kozilek flavor text paralells Ulamog's.

So one of the mechanics of the set is costs that can only be paid with colorless mana. This seems fine, I don't think it has enough design space to carry more than a small set. It's odd that they are now making a colorless mana symbol 20 years into the game, but whatever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GeneX posted:

My one issue with the idea of using "colorless only" as cost reduction is that it has a good chance to break mana accelaration decks in older formats

I mean, probably not because those tend to actually be prison decks, but still

They just restricted Chalice of the Void in Vintage and that deck sucks in Legacy, they can toss it a bone.

Lancelot posted:

Dzyl (http://www.twitch.tv/dzyl) is currently drafting an absurd March of the Machines + Jeskai Ascendancy + mana artifacts deck in the new cube. He is so amazing. :allears:

Mull to 6 on the play, keep a hand where the only land is Azorius Chancery :negative:

edit: ahahaha his opponent helpfully saying "you need to play a different land first"

and his opponent assembles a loving Mindslaver + Yomiji, Who Bars the Way combo. This is the best

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This isn't even the first time they've changed the templating for producing colorless mana. Lands used to say "T: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool."

This reminded me of something - I wish they'd either have cards literally written as "T: (Mana Symbol)" so like an Underground Sea would say "T: U or B" or have all lands including basics have "T: Add (Mana Symbol) to your mana pool." written out. The inconsistency leads new players to think things like the player I had at FNM two weeks ago who tried to tap his Hedron Archive to get two landfall triggers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, this change would actually make things closer to how the were in Alpha.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BJPaskoff posted:

The inconsistency leads new players to think things like the player I had at FNM two weeks ago who tried to tap his Hedron Archive to get two landfall triggers.

Wait, how did they even reason themselves into thinking that worked? Did they explain at all? :psyduck:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BJPaskoff posted:

This isn't even the first time they've changed the templating for producing colorless mana. Lands used to say "T: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool."

This reminded me of something - I wish they'd either have cards literally written as "T: (Mana Symbol)" so like an Underground Sea would say "T: U or B" or have all lands including basics have "T: Add (Mana Symbol) to your mana pool." written out. The inconsistency leads new players to think things like the player I had at FNM two weeks ago who tried to tap his Hedron Archive to get two landfall triggers.

Reminds me of the ol' "Cast Dark Ritual, fetch three Swamps".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
To be fair, before I actually learned the rules to Magic, I thought you needed literal mana. Like, a physical representation of what your lands added to your pool.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lets Pickle posted:

I think the spoiled cards are real. If they are fake, they're by far the best looking fakes I've ever seen. I'm guessing that <> is just the new way they have to represent specifically colorless mana. This means that all old lands will have to be errata'd but it also means that going into the future new lands will get printed that produce <>. Printing a basic with no land type is a pretty simple and clever way to sidestep the issue with having a 6th basic land type. It's so obvious that you can do that but without colorless specific costs there is no reason to do it. Also the Kozilek flavor text paralells Ulamog's.

So one of the mechanics of the set is costs that can only be paid with colorless mana. This seems fine, I don't think it has enough design space to carry more than a small set. It's odd that they are now making a colorless mana symbol 20 years into the game, but whatever.

I don't think the pain lands or any lands that said "Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool" will be any different, it's just that for this set the diamond will represent a single colorless mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

When has this not been the case aside from artifacts/equipment as a pushed theme?

Want me to name a few good artifacts? Mox Jet, Ruby Sapphire, Emerald, Pearl. Black Lotus, The Rack, Black Vice, Icy Manipulator, Candelabra of Tawnos, time vault, gauntlet of might, jester's cap, scroll rack, solemn simulacrum, serrated arrows, ensaring bridge, howling mine, mana crypt, lions eye diamond, aether vial, zuran orb, lotus petal, nevinyrral's disk, memory jar, sol ring, umezawa's jitte, sundering titan.

• Locked thread