Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Picked up a Traktor F1 last night for $30 :D It looks really cool next to my Z1 and Z2

How do I learn how to use this thing? I mostly just want to assign samples to the pads (not loops). I'd like to be able to trigger samples as well as be able to assign them to A/B decks so I can scratch. Also need to learn how to set cue points on those same samples so I can start them at the right points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Some combination of NI documentation and YouTube usually does the trick :)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Yeah read the F1 docs. It goes into detail on how remix decks work. You can assign one shots to remix decks, doesn't need to be just loops.

As for your other scratching thing you'll probably need to make a custom mapping.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I got myself a Xone 23 as the beginnings of a turntable setup and now whenever I'm at my residency I'm just annoyed at how lovely the DJM-900 filters actually are.

A filter without resonance controls, a shameful filter.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Woop, I broke Serato DJ by upgrading to OSX El Capitan. Take heed

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Woop, I broke Serato DJ by upgrading to OSX El Capitan. Take heed

Never upgrade your OS until you check to see if it will break your critical software. I personally don't upgrade for a significant period of time after an OS update comes out (2+ months?), since disabling any of my software would be debilitating. It's not like OS updates nowadays really provide enough improvement that updating early is important. Generally after a couple days or maybe a week you will know what software is broken, and depending on the companies involved a month or so and it should be fixed (either by Apple/Windows or the software company)

Also, make a restore before you update a mac

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

mitztronic posted:

Never upgrade your OS until you check to see if it will break your critical software. I personally don't upgrade for a significant period of time after an OS update comes out (2+ months?), since disabling any of my software would be debilitating. It's not like OS updates nowadays really provide enough improvement that updating early is important. Generally after a couple days or maybe a week you will know what software is broken, and depending on the companies involved a month or so and it should be fixed (either by Apple/Windows or the software company)

Also, make a restore before you update a mac

Or just wait until Serato kicks their new fixes. This won't affect my mobile rig, just my production rig but I thought it might be worth pointing out to others

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Speaking of broken, my DDJ-SR started having some weird issue with one of the channel upfaders. Best I can describe is: when upfader is at 100%, the sound sometimes comes out at 60~70% volume. A tiny wiggle of it will set the volume to 100%. This is loving awkward, and it first started happening in the middle of a gig last weekend. At first, I thought the venue was turning the volume down, but then I noticed, and just kept a close ear to any time I brought a song into that channel. Since the DDJ-SR is a 2 channel mixer, this was often.... anyway.

I took a video now to better convey the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3CbHnGpcMk

Any ideas? It really kills the mood when the volume suddenly dips :(

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Alfajor posted:

Speaking of broken, my DDJ-SR started having some weird issue with one of the channel upfaders. Best I can describe is: when upfader is at 100%, the sound sometimes comes out at 60~70% volume. A tiny wiggle of it will set the volume to 100%. This is loving awkward, and it first started happening in the middle of a gig last weekend. At first, I thought the venue was turning the volume down, but then I noticed, and just kept a close ear to any time I brought a song into that channel. Since the DDJ-SR is a 2 channel mixer, this was often.... anyway.

I took a video now to better convey the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3CbHnGpcMk

I had this exact same problem earlier this year and then other issues started popping up like the cue button triggering instant doubles or play/pause on both decks and other buttons on the right side randomly triggering other functions in the mixer.

The issue with the fader has gone away but the other issues have remained and fluctuated in severity. They've actually migrated to the left side somehow :v:. I called Pioneer about it at one point and the guy said it sounded like an issue with the internal grounding. I never took it in because the authorized Pioneer repair shop in my city is an absolute dumpster fire. I took it to a smaller independent store eventually and they weren't able to replicate any of the issues(of course) but they cleaned it out and that made it a bit better for a period of time.

My theory is that something is loose that occasionally gets bumped in a way that changes how hosed up everything is. In any case, you'll probably need to take it in for servicing somewhere.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Alfajor posted:

Had that issue along with other similar issues with some of my other controllers, my traktor s4 was practically unusable by the time I got something new. Mostly stayed at home too. Seconding that you get it serviced.

Also worth noting that my problem went from "I can deal with this" to "I can't use this" over the course of time...

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is Serato DJ 1.8 supposed to be compatible with El Capitan?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Dubstep Jesus posted:

In any case, you'll probably need to take it in for servicing somewhere.

Firaga posted:

Seconding that you get it serviced.

I will after tonight's gig :3: I've been practicing work-arounds, so I think I'll be alright.
I got my DDJ-SR from Amazon, and got the "squaretrade" warranty for a few years... I'll go down that road first and report back when something happens.

Thanks guys.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

keevo posted:

Not officially, no.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

keevo posted:

Eventually :v:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How do they not get their poo poo compatible beforehand especially since Apple gives access to the betas before it's released?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

keevo posted:

How do they not get their poo poo compatible beforehand especially since Apple gives access to the betas before it's released?

It's really common, with iOS too

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The issue with Serato this time seem to be hardware specific, so they're probably having to work with the different hardware manufacturers as well, which add some delays.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

keevo posted:

Serato as a company are slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww as gently caress when it comes to any sort of software updates to do with either OS or Serato DJ itself. Windows 8 was out what, a year before DJ was updated to make it officially compatible?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Heads up with Serato 1.8: If you use Serato for key detection it will only write the classical key to the ID3 tags, so if you have set to display in camelot or open key it will just translate from classical to those in the GUI. But search/crate rules read directly from the tag fields so if you're analyzing the key with Serato and have it set to display in camelot you won't actually be able to search by camelot key.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

88h88 posted:

Serato as a company are slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww as gently caress when it comes to any sort of software updates to do with either OS or Serato DJ itself. Windows 8 was out what, a year before DJ was updated to make it officially compatible?

With Windows I kind of assumed they didn't really give a poo poo because they've never liked supporting Windows and always recommended that people use OSX. But if they're going to tell people to use OSX and then take forever to update it then what the gently caress?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Many of the issues with El Capitan are hardware specific so they have to work with different manufacturers to get things compatible.

I don't really consider this that slow anyways, at least as far as professional software is concerned.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
The biggest problem I was encountering on El Cap was there being some weirdness with how Serato was figuring out BPM. Adjusting it manually seemed to screw things up even worse (either allowing me to set a 130BPM track to 20 or 80 BPM). Traktor has the advantage that a lot of Traktor controllers are maybe by NI though Traktor is no stranger to bugs and incompatibilities either. Serato still works for me, I can still mix, it just isn't in a bug free state (hence it not being supported "officially" yet).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Serato has pretty much constantly suffered from weird BPM readings on some tracks for me. Rekordbox will be right 99.9% of the time, Serato seems to struggle a whole lot more. If Serato used Rekordbox's analysis it'd be pretty much perfect for me, sadly I find myself having to manually edit BPMs more often than I really want to. It's not even like I use sync, it's just an OCD thing where everything being off gets to me. :/

I still need to see what Rekordbox DJ is all about to decide if I want to jump ship or not.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Oh yeah, I mean this was when I'd go into manually edit the grid it was doing these weird BPM values. Not a particularly challenging song rhythmically either but Serato was just exhibiting weirdness I've never encountered before. I generally never have issues with it reading BPM on 95% of my tracks but Rekordbox would be the perfect solution.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
oops wrong thread. sorry!

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 16, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'm considering getting an FX pedal to use as an FX unit since the dedicated FX units really have way more than I would ever use. I was thinking the Boss RE-20 which is a recreation of the Roland Space Echo Pedal.

Am I an idiot for thinking this would work?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
How do you want to hook it up? Does your mixer have send/fx channels? You could use a pedal like this in the fx loop but it would be in mono, as it is a guitar pedal and has only one channel in/out. What are you mixing from? Vinyl? I've seen people do cool things with turntablism and wah-wah pedals but if you are a digital DJ there is delay/echo in your software. If you are using turntables or CDJs then this might work, depends on your setup and what kind of results you want. It certainly wouldn't be high fidelity but might sound cool.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I'm considering getting an FX pedal to use as an FX unit since the dedicated FX units really have way more than I would ever use. I was thinking the Boss RE-20 which is a recreation of the Roland Space Echo Pedal.

If you are producing or playing live this is a pretty normal thing. Check out the Eventide H9, analog guitar pedals. Zoom G3 for a cheap all in one.
If you are DJing the mixer's, Ableton's and even Traktor's built in effects should do this well enough. Are you trying to do something specific? Too much effects can ruin a mix, plus routing will be kind of a pain in the rear end.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Been meaning to pickup one of these for so long since my Xone 22 has fx send. Definitely worth it if you're using CDJs/TTs and have been doing dry mixing. Can't help but drool over owning an OG space echo with tape and all. Would be a serious pain in the rear end to maintain though as well as transport, would definitely be a studio only kinda thing. The Boss RE-20 is mad nice though and one of the most iconic.

I also really need to invest in a dub siren from rigsmith but it's super unneccessary and only really useful in mixing dub/dubstep and I'd definitely want a delay pedal for that beforehand. I think the Xone 23 has FX send for the mic as well which is cool, not sure if my 22 has it.

Getting an OG 201 would seem to be pretty expensive but easy to keep up and running based on this site
http://www.echofix.com/

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 19, 2015

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bad day posted:

You could use a pedal like this in the fx loop but it would be in mono, as it is a guitar pedal and has only one channel in/out.

The Boss RE20 has stereo I/O.

I'm a huge fan of the KP3 as an external multi-effects unit. For some reason it seems to get a lot of hate but I love mine. It's an integral part of my bleep-bloop robot farts Ableton/Aira setup. For straight-up DJing I'm usually of the opinion that effects are overused anyway and it's few and far between that they sound good unless you're also really good at scratching. If you're just mixing you might as well put the RE20 on your mic and go full-on Anklepants.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
To follow up, we now have Serato 1.8 "supported" on El Cap. There are some problems with certain controllers but mine is not affected so idgaf: https://serato.com/dj/downloads

For some reason checking for an update inside Serato does not recognize this newest version so probably best to download from serato.com

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 21, 2015

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

I'm so confused.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

vanilla slimfast posted:

That reminds me. I can't remember if I posted about this previously but some friends and I resurrected something we did years and years ago, the "worst DJ mix" competition.

https://www.facebook.com/events/856211447750092/

We got five entries this year. They are real, and they are spectacular

Listen to the entries here: https://hearthis.at/worstmix/set/worst-mix-2015-competition/
Vote for your favorite here: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll436037xE3A44285-17

No one will ever beat the over 9000 and cosby remix set from DMB, I have forced several people to listen to it.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Old Man Pants posted:

No one will ever beat the over 9000 and cosby remix set from DMB, I have forced several people to listen to it.

Do you still have a copy of it? We lost all the content that was hosted on the DMB server years and years ago

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Do you still have a copy of it? We lost all the content that was hosted on the DMB server years and years ago

I do, hit me up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's talk about uploading mixes to YouTube. I know the basics of what format to upload in but there are a couple of things I'm confused about. I enlisted the help of a friend of mine with a video-editing rig to do a test run and sent him the raw .wav files and a 1280x720 .jpg to use as the thumbnail. He sent me back a file that sounds curiously smeared - moreso than some mixes I've listened to on YouTube. Or maybe I'm just crazy. I'm trying it myself with a copy of Premiere and MPEG Streamclip but I'm wondering what audio codec I should use to avoid further compression on the upload.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Traktor y u kno 64 beat loops?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Serato doesn't do them either, 32 bar is the max.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

revmoo posted:

Traktor y u kno 64 beat loops?

I'm pretty sure you can make loops as long as you want but you need to manually set the in/out points beyond 32 beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Does anyone here use the V-Moda Fader earplugs? Curious to see how it stacks up compared to the Etymotics.