Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Harrow posted:

The companions are very good, but the main plot overall feels rushed and shallow. The ideas behind the main plot are good, but I don't think they're explored as much as they could be, even given what kind of game this is.

I was impressed with some of the side quests and environmental story, though. Reading the terminals actually pays off sometimes, like in the CIT Ruins E: Cambridge Polymer Labs.

thats Bethesda/alot of games stories in a nutshell, the backstories and filling in the blanks are almost always better then the regular straight story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

<kills hundreds of super mutants, ghouls, gunners>
"What is a super mutant?"

What is wrong with that? You only know what a super mutant is because this is your 4th or 5th game with them or whatever. It's totally possible the character is killing the big green guys and not knowing what they are in any meaningful way and maybe not even knowing what they are called.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBjeLiWhek&t=77s
bethesda fallout.txt

edit:
damnit this is making me miss real low int dialogue for real now when i just brushed it off before

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe someone could make a mod and like have a note appear after you wake up in the vault saying "your son and everyone took him left to return to their home planet, their ship exploded and there were no survivors".

Then just add in all the late game faction stuff with none of the lovely main story locking you out of 60% of the stuff just to see a 30s ending movie.

50 hour game, 30s ending movie. Good closure.

You know the biggest rip is there is no coverage of what your deeds caused like in other fallouts.

Nothing like "Sanctuary Hills lead to be a big thing in Boston because you ran it".
"because you killed the group of raiders, a time of peace was had"
"because your were part of the minute men, things happened"

All this is gone, no closure on anything. I would really just say, just get to the last mission where everyone makes you choose a side and never finish the story.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tenzarin posted:

All this is gone, no closure on anything. I would really just say, just get to the last mission where everyone makes you choose a side and never finish the story.

It's a Bethesda game. Please consider accordingly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

You know the biggest rip is there is no coverage of what your deeds caused like in other fallouts.

Nothing like "Sanctuary Hills lead to be a big thing in Boston because you ran it".
"because you killed the group of raiders, a time of peace was had"
"because your were part of the minute men, things happened"

A definite ending doesn't seem to work when you're allowed to keep playing.

You're allowed to keep playing right? Bethesda learned from last time?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

A definite ending doesn't seem to work when you're allowed to keep playing.

You're allowed to keep playing right? Bethesda learned from last time?

Yes you can keep playing, this was added into fallout 3 btw. Couldn't you keep playing Fallout NV? I cant remember if it locked you of after you did the battle at the bridge. A good rate of a game is play time to ending time for me.

Every ending to fallout 4,

<Do something "big">
<the big boss of the faction you picked> " You did it!", "good job!"
<30s ending footage, I think this will always be the same>
<credits>

Spoiled bitchs

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

Yes you can keep playing, this was added into fallout 3 btw. Couldn't you keep playing Fallout NV? I cant remember if it locked you of after you did the battle at the bridge. A good rate of a game is play time to ending time for me.

New Vegas ended the game after you finished the Hoover Dam quest, though there are mods to continue on after. Broken Steel let you keep playing but the ending to FO3 (esp after Broken Steel) was mostly variations on if you were a lovely person or not and also if you were a coward babyman who let someone immune to radiation do it instead because Liam Neeson didn't instill the values of sacrifice into you hard enough.

e: Apparently the reason for that insane disconnect is that companions were relatively last minute so it was either you or Sarah pressing the button.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Wow, Preston is complete poo poo as a companion. Thanks for the minuteman outfit, I guess. Codsworth is cool though. Ol' Cods helped me clear out Corvega without a hitch and I never had to worry about him missing EVERY SINGLE loving SHOT like Preston because chainsaw hands and flamethrowers dont miss :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm going to assume that the main character only moved to Boston and never actually lived there for a long time before the bombs fell. I ran across a guy looking for Bunker Hill and my character didn't know where that was. Seriously, it would be loving awesome if the game let you play this snobby know it all who remembers where all the cool poo poo from Pre War boston is rather than constantly asking for directions.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It does sort of make you wonder what the gently caress Fallout 5/Fallout Van Buren will be about now. Will this go full Mass Effect and the Sole Survivor returns a little bit older? Will they just drop Massachusetts and put you father north towards New York or down South? As godawful as 3 was it at least had a clear end that the Brotherhood took over D.C. Unless they pull a "Sole Survivor played all sides and betrayed them to shape the Commonwealth in some pre-war state" in some kind of Fallout version of The Warp in the East, its kind of left dangling on where the series is going to go without likely DLC hooks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

New Vegas ended the game after you finished the Hoover Dam quest, though there are mods to continue on after. Broken Steel let you keep playing but the ending to FO3 (esp after Broken Steel) was mostly variations on if you were a lovely person or not and also if you were a coward babyman who let someone immune to radiation do it instead because Liam Neeson didn't instill the values of sacrifice into you hard enough.

e: Apparently the reason for that insane disconnect is that companions were relatively last minute so it was either you or Sarah pressing the button.

Man, even though they solved purifying the water, you think they could of took a break for an hour or 2 to figure out how to pull a lever in another room with out killing someone.

Pretty sure I had fawkes with me, and its not like harken wasnt a super friend at that point either.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a mod that let's you rotate stuff on the y axis yet? Making fences on uneven terrain is kinda ugly, and there is a lot of uneven terrain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

Man, even though they solved purifying the water, you think they could of took a break for an hour or 2 to figure out how to pull a lever in another room with out killing someone.

Pretty sure I had fawkes with me, and its not like harken wasnt a super friend at that point either.

I had Charon. They could have spent like a minute getting Ron Perlman to stop saying "war never changes" to change that line. What a stupid ending that was.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Crabtree posted:

It does sort of make you wonder what the gently caress Fallout 5/Fallout Van Buren will be about now. Will this go full Mass Effect and the Sole Survivor returns a little bit older? Will they just drop Massachusetts and put you father north towards New York or down South? As godawful as 3 was it at least had a clear end that the Brotherhood took over D.C. Unless they pull a "Sole Survivor played all sides and betrayed them to shape the Commonwealth in some pre-war state" in some kind of Fallout version of The Warp in the East, its kind of left dangling on where the series is going to go without likely DLC hooks.

It's still like 5 years away at least, I'm sure they can think of more cities in that time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Will they just drop Massachusetts and put you father north towards New York or down South?

NYC is south of Massachusetts and upstate/western NY would be so similar to the western region of what's already in Fallout4 that it would be pretty pointless to do.

I hope they move away from the east coast again and go either back out west (the Seattle area could be cool for example) or go to another country entirely. Someone mentioned it earlier but Russia would be fascinating, especially since the game is so Cold War centric.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crabtree posted:

In some ways the whole plot of the game is pretty small and local stories. So how it ended won't matter in 50 years or whatever when the next game takes place. In some ways that makes the story throw away but in another way every single videogame doesn't really need to be "THE WHOLE WORLD IS ENDING OMG!" all the time.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Updated my dialogue overhaul mod that I posted earlier in the thread to include a French translation, if anyone here was in dire need of one. Translations for all languages are planned and should be done soon-ish. For more information regarding the translations, please refer to the stickied post I made in the comments section of the mod's page.

Also, I glanced through the thread and I'm glad to see so many people are enjoying the mod. Thanks for the kind words.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

NYC is south of Massachusetts and upstate/western NY would be so similar to the western region of what's already in Fallout4 that it would be pretty pointless to do.

I hope they move away from the east coast again and go either back out west (the Seattle area could be cool for example) or go to another country entirely. Someone mentioned it earlier but Russia would be fascinating, especially since the game is so Cold War centric.

Russian fallout is called metro lastight, they already have two games out.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Alright, I don't know if people know this: if you see an enemy with power armor and you want that thing you can steal the core, or more easily snipe the core behind him. The core will be set to explode and the enemy will ditch the core in an attempt to not die. He'll jump out after a second.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

That's just what they tell you. In all actuality, everyone from Sanctuary Hills got into the vault. I guess they were trying to make you feel special or something so that you'd say yes.

Actually if you read the terminals in Vault 101 it's implied that only specific people in Sanctuary Hills were selected to be let in and cryo-frozen. The rest of the townspeople who made it in were supposed to be separated out and "disposed of" by the vault staff once the right people were frozen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tenzarin posted:

I think you mean Stalker. The Metro series is more linear and has less drunken guitar ballads.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In some ways the whole plot of the game is pretty small and local stories. So how it ended won't matter in 50 years or whatever when the next game takes place. In some ways that makes the story throw away but in another way every single videogame doesn't really need to be "THE WHOLE WORLD IS ENDING OMG!" all the time.

I think that's the healthiest way to handle these kinds of multiple-ending games, really. Keep them local or small-scale and so that the player can have a lot of room to affect the story without having to either clamp it down to prevent screwing with the rest of the series, or having to pick a "canon" option. Mass Effect 3 shows just what kind of pile-up story choices can be when they have to be sustained over the course of an entire series, and it's a marvel ME3 pulled it off as well as it did, to be honest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think you mean Stalker. The Metro series is more linear and has less drunken guitar ballads.

Fun fact, both Metro and Stalker are inspired by the same novel, Roadside Picnic. Metro was further inspired by Fallout, however! :eng101:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Tenzarin posted:

Is that actually a sandbox game or is it just a shooter?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I've only played one of them but wasn't it almost entirely just a shooter in the subway system? I would rather see an actual open world Fallout game set in Moscow with the Fallout take on it - i.e. based on the idea that the late 50's/early 60's vision of "the future" actually happened, but with the Soviet take on it rather than American

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

New Leaf posted:

Is that actually a sandbox game or is it just a shooter?
it is just similar to the last of us only first person and not quite as lovely

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Tenzarin posted:

I take it you actually enjoyed the metro locations in Fallout 3?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Actually if you consider how lovely the writing is, everyone is seeing low int dialogue.

<kills hundreds of super mutants, ghouls, gunners>
"What is a super mutant?"

In the middle of the story you can still ask people what are synths and what is the institute even after completing several missions involving both.

You can also get to the point without having encountered either, or if you have encountered them you can simply not ask the question so I'm not sure that counts.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

alternatively, your character has the memory capacity of a goldfish

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

I've only played one of them but wasn't it almost entirely just a shooter in the subway system? I would rather see an actual open world Fallout game set in Moscow with the Fallout take on it - i.e. based on the idea that the late 50's/early 60's vision of "the future" actually happened, but with the Soviet take on it rather than American

Ok then you want stalker, but the graphics leave alot to your imagination.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Actually if you read the terminals in Vault 101 it's implied that only specific people in Sanctuary Hills were selected to be let in and cryo-frozen. The rest of the townspeople who made it in were supposed to be separated out and "disposed of" by the vault staff once the right people were frozen.

They also only had food for 150 days. I think the plan was to just trick the scientists to get everyone into the vault and kill the extras. Then just have them die off after 150 days due to starvation.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Has anyone else been attacked by a Vertibird full of gunners?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Fereydun posted:

having low INT dialogue in this game would be pointless as you can raise SPECIAL points and perks are inherently tied to your stat level so somehow even less people would see that stuff

This is a pretty solid explanation for why this didn't happen this go around. Even worse because the game somewhat encourages putting some points into each stat to start with, whereas in previous games even with low int you could still increase whatever skills you wanted regardless. It's still partially laziness/forgetting that was a thing, but at least there's some semblance of an excuse for it. This is especially a problem given that the character is voiced, as they would need to do an entire separate set of recording for that particular setup, because it would be pretty jarring to have those in only certain situations i.e. talking to npc and having a low int option for dialogue and then moving right back to normal voice, and if they did it for the entire game the extra dialogue would push the game's install size up quite a bit. I'm not sure how much of it is audio this go around, but if it's anything like previous games, it is a pretty hefty chunk.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Iceshade posted:

I take it you actually enjoyed the metro locations in Fallout 3?

Metro is a good game with no relation to fallout.

I would say Metro takes more in place during 10-20 right after nukes fall because the surface of the earth is deadly to humans.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

Has anyone else been attacked by a Vertibird full of gunners?

The only gunner vertibird I've encountered so far landed and attacked some supermutants (then plowed into the wall and blew up) followed 30 seconds later by a brotherhood vertibird making GBS threads out a squad to attack both the gunners and mutants (then plowed into the wall and blew up), then all of the gunners and brotherhood guys were killed by a suicider causing a car explosion chain reaction.

It was pretty, if completely retarded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fereydun posted:

the only place i remember it showing up in nv is HELIOS but the dialogue is incredible
having low INT dialogue in this game would be pointless as you can raise SPECIAL points and perks are inherently tied to your stat level so somehow even less people would see that stuff

It could've just been tied to Idiot Savant, but that might have been too niche to want to record voiced dialog for.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

It could've just been tied to Idiot Savant, but that might have been too niche to want to record voiced dialog for.

Replace all dialogue with the idiot savant sound. PAY ME MONEY FOR MY IDEAS!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Ok then you want stalker, but the graphics leave alot to your imagination.

Stalker had little to do with Cold War era futurism though, Soviet or otherwise, it wasn't even really post-apocalyptic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Earwicker posted:

Stalker had little to do with Cold War era futurism though, Soviet or otherwise, it wasn't even really post-apocalyptic

Have you tried "papers, please".

• Locked thread