Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
how do i get tinker tom to show me the ballistic weave mod? i've done the dia cache quest (and also all of the railroad main quest prior to the point of no return) but all i can do is trade with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harrow posted:

I think that's the healthiest way to handle these kinds of multiple-ending games, really. Keep them local or small-scale and so that the player can have a lot of room to affect the story without having to either clamp it down to prevent screwing with the rest of the series, or having to pick a "canon" option. Mass Effect 3 shows just what kind of pile-up story choices can be when they have to be sustained over the course of an entire series, and it's a marvel ME3 pulled it off as well as it did, to be honest.

Yeah, in 50 years or whatever anything you do in this game will be irrelevant, if they want synths in the next game they can have some new synth factory be built somewhere or just have all the synths be old and just never mention what happened to the original institute. Like this game introduced new elements into the fallout universe in a smart way that lets them use them in the future and lets them be a big part of this game's story but doesn't lock them into picking a specific ending.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Have you tried "papers, please".

Yes it's excellent

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Okay, so apparently all those Overdue books laying around are good for something. You return them to a Book Return Reward Machine, and you get tokens. Those tokens can buy you a bunch of little useful items like frags, jet and even saw a Fusion core there.

Nothing special, but it's pretty funny/cool/interesting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

how do i get tinker tom to show me the ballistic weave mod? i've done the dia cache quest (and also all of the railroad main quest prior to the point of no return) but all i can do is trade with him

If he sells "armored" items, you can now add ballistic weave to some outfits. He doesn't ever actually say anything about it. Just go back to an armor workbench and you can do it now.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

mlmp08 posted:

She sure took a lot of pipe rifle shots considering my pipe rifle did about 30 damage.

Well there's your problem, you shouldn't even think about taking on the Mirelurk Queen until you have semiautomatic weapons that deal 60 damage/shot or automatic weapons that deal 20/shot. My Model 29 deals 120 damage per shot because I've got 3 ranks in gunslinger, 3 in rifleman, and kitted out weapons. Fight was a cakewalk and I hardly took damage because I could see the acid spit coming a mile away.

Everyone had built up that fight so much that when I finally had it, in my BOS/synth armour and full arsenal, I was a bit disappointed at how quickly she got shredded eating bullets from me, MacCready, and the minutemen. :shrug:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Low-int dialogue wouldn't have made sense in the context of the narrative. You at least had to be intelligent enough to hold a job in the military, buy a house, and start a family. SPECIAL isn't really an abstraction of anything anymore - it's just a perk benchmark that you meet or you don't. That's not a defense because I'm not terribly fond of how they handled it, but it's an explanation for why having low-int options wouldn't have worked.

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?

Deified Data posted:

Low-int dialogue wouldn't have made sense in the context of the narrative. You at least had to be intelligent enough to hold a job in the military, buy a house, and start a family. SPECIAL isn't really an abstraction of anything anymore - it's just a perk benchmark that you meet or you don't. That's not a defense because I'm not terribly fond of how they handled it, but it's an explanation for why having low-int options wouldn't have worked.

The freezing process caused you to be mentally challenged.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr. Torrance posted:

The freezing process caused you to be mentally challenged.

lol, maybe, kind of in the same way that any drastic character attributes in NV are attributed to the bullet you took to the head.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Automatic weapons don't seem all that great because resistances. I've switched to a buffed sniper build and everything just drops dead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ I was about to ask about automatic weapons. I was considering leveling Commando and getting myself a cool auto-laser, but I don't know how they work with the way this game handles DR. I know they were awful in New Vegas's damage threshold system, but the way DR is calculated I figured it would even out a bit better.

Deified Data posted:

They do still have a perk called "Idiot Savant," though.

Really, I'm not as attached to low-INT options as I am to high-INT options, really. Or other SPECIAL stat-related dialog options. Or perk-specific options. I always find those so satisfying--that SPECIAL and perks might actually be tied to who my character is and not just what he can do in combat--but they're nowhere to be found in Fallout 4. That's kind of a bummer.

Hopefully Obsidian's follow-up (SHUT UP I'M BEING OPTIMISTIC) will have Cirosan's mod as the default dialog input and offer more than four options and offer all those wonderful SPECIAL- and perk-related dialog options and please just let me dream :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deified Data posted:

loving seriously. FO4 isn't quite New Vegas tier (but it's drat close in my opinion - especially near the end), but you can't tell me with a straight face that anything in FO4 was as contrived as the "but thou must" ending of the original FO3 campaign. Huge step up in writing, in my opinion. Bethesda actually gave a poo poo this time.

They've got the exact same "but thou must" main plot though, down to the same story beats except ctrl-F "I need to find my dad" and replace with "I need to find my son", so it's exactly the same amount of contrived in the long run even if the endings do take the New Vegas approach of giving you the freedom to pick whichever faction you want.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MohShuvuu posted:

Automatic weapons don't seem all that great because resistances. I've switched to a buffed sniper build and everything just drops dead.

I found some random automatic pipe rifle that just blows everything away, along with an auto laser pistol. I have one more perk in commando than rifleman or gunslinger though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Iceshade posted:

Okay, so apparently all those Overdue books laying around are good for something. You return them to a Book Return Reward Machine, and you get tokens. Those tokens can buy you a bunch of little useful items like frags, jet and even saw a Fusion core there.

Nothing special, but it's pretty funny/cool/interesting.

The boston public library has a magazine in the book return for 50 tokens.

Deified Data posted:

Entire game is low-int dialogue.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Cirosan posted:

Updated my dialogue overhaul mod that I posted earlier in the thread to include a French translation, if anyone here was in dire need of one. Translations for all languages are planned and should be done soon-ish. For more information regarding the translations, please refer to the stickied post I made in the comments section of the mod's page.

Also, I glanced through the thread and I'm glad to see so many people are enjoying the mod. Thanks for the kind words.

I hope someone will start up a FO4 modding thread soon, even without the kit these mods are already so good, this fixes one of my biggest gripes with the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MohShuvuu posted:

You need an automatic weapon that is legendary with wounding gives target 30 bleeding damage. Each shot makes the target bleed for 30 and its not affected by resistances.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Yes you can keep playing, this was added into fallout 3 btw. Couldn't you keep playing Fallout NV? I cant remember if it locked you of after you did the battle at the bridge. A good rate of a game is play time to ending time for me.

Every ending to fallout 4,

<Do something "big">
<the big boss of the faction you picked> " You did it!", "good job!"
<30s ending footage, I think this will always be the same>
<credits>

Spoiled bitchs

New Vegas ended after the final bit and you had to reload to keep playing, but that was ok because it was Obsidian

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

New Vegas ended after the final bit and you had to reload to keep playing, but that was ok because it was Obsidian
if fallout 3 had any sense of closure for its original ending it wouldn't have been so negatively recieved

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just a quick question for anyone further along the main storyline than I am - I just met the guy in the Glowing Sea.

So, Virgil sent me packing to hunt down a terminator Courser so I can grab the gizmo to let me teleport into the Institute. My question is basically just whether it matters which companion I take with me? Piper's my main lady, but it seems like Valentine would have more impact there since it involves him more. Basically, I'm asking if Valentine has any significant extra story content in the Institute - I'd be annoyed if I took Piper and then found out that, I dunno, Valentine would unlock a whole questline if he was there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just a quick question for anyone further along the main storyline than I am - I just met the guy in the Glowing Sea.

So, Virgil sent me packing to hunt down a terminator Courser so I can grab the gizmo to let me teleport into the Institute. My question is basically just whether it matters which companion I take with me? Piper's my main lady, but it seems like Valentine would have more impact there since it involves him more. Basically, I'm asking if Valentine has any significant extra story content in the Institute - I'd be annoyed if I took Piper and then found out that, I dunno, Valentine would unlock a whole questline if he was there.

Companions just interject into conversations, they have no outcome on what happens. Take whom ever you think would say interesting things or stuff you would like if they talk.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gently caress, the MQ has me building some stuff in a settlement, which is fine and all, but I have previously owned and scrapped every single thing that is needed so now I need to go trawling for shite again. :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Christ almighty, the combat rifle with a short barrel, silencer, reflex sight and .308 receiver is like some VSS vintorez poo poo. One shotting most enemies from stealth on survival difficulty, and the ammo is plentiful. Also you can unload it if you panic.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Preston sulks like a baby during talks with Danse and it's hilarious.

e; Deathclaws grab attack can happen in first person mode. :stonk:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if fallout 3 had any sense of closure for its original ending it wouldn't have been so negatively recieved

I'm actually going to call bullshit on that because we've seen examples multiple times in this thread where Bethesda has taken the blame for dumb bullshit that was either worse in the first two games or that Obsidian did themselves but got a pass on. Peeps REALLY want to hate Bethesda for poo poo.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Comrade Fakename posted:

The teleported you end up building only fits one, so no company with ya there. Don't worry about it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Azhais posted:

The only gunner vertibird I've encountered so far landed and attacked some supermutants (then plowed into the wall and blew up) followed 30 seconds later by a brotherhood vertibird making GBS threads out a squad to attack both the gunners and mutants (then plowed into the wall and blew up), then all of the gunners and brotherhood guys were killed by a suicider causing a car explosion chain reaction.

It was pretty, if completely retarded.

I was walking to quincy for the first time and thought I'd have some back up for an area of ghouls. Although in a way me shooting their vertibird down over the ghouls did help somewhat.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Tenzarin posted:

You need an automatic weapon that is legendary with wounding gives target 30 bleeding damage. Each shot makes the target bleed for 30 and its not affected by resistances.

Even Robots and turrets bleed

idk :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geokinesis posted:

I was walking to quincy for the first time and thought I'd have some back up for an area of ghouls. Although in a way me shooting their vertibird down over the ghouls did help somewhat.

Yeah, that's where it happened with me too, at that car? factory outside of Quincy

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Some weapons are much better in auto just because the semi versions have heavy recoil animations. The pipe rifle and the combat rifle are monsters with full auto and a short scope.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Some weapons are much better in auto just because the semi versions have heavy recoil animations. The pipe rifle and the combat rifle are monsters with full auto and a short scope.

I can confirm that a pipe rifle with a ~50 round mag set to auto just fucks everything.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Harrow posted:

If he sells "armored" items, you can now add ballistic weave to some outfits. He doesn't ever actually say anything about it. Just go back to an armor workbench and you can do it now.

that's even more strange then. he doesn't have any 'armored' items for sale. i even went and did another dia cache mission, and then he asked me to set up one of those weather vanes so i did that. still nothing

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

I'm actually going to call bullshit on that
please don't tell me you thought the original Fallout 3 ending was a satisfying ending.

quote:

because we've seen examples multiple times in this thread where Bethesda has taken the blame for dumb bullshit that was either worse in the first two games or that Obsidian did themselves but got a pass on. Peeps REALLY want to hate Bethesda for poo poo.
there were a lot of things worse in the first two games, but regression towards them isn't what people expect. a lot of QOL design decisions in New Vegas were ignored and nobody disagrees that New Vegas' environments are pretty bad compared to Bethesda's fare, and the designers of New Vegas thought they couldn't make a convincing after-story in the time they were alloted hence the extended ending that told you what happened afterwards (which is what you got in Fallout 1/2, though 2 allowed you to play after the ending however little sense it made). you don't even get that with Fallout 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iceshade posted:

This also makes the Pickman knife hilariously OP because it is fast, low AP and can stab a thousand times for bleed procs each time and the bleed procs count down in real time even during VATS.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that's where it happened with me too, at that car? factory outside of Quincy

Yeah, I guess it must be because Quincy is full Gunner territory. I didn't explore too much but I hope there is some indication there as to how they got one up and running.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

They do still have a perk called "Idiot Savant," though.

Really, I'm not as attached to low-INT options as I am to high-INT options, really. Or other SPECIAL stat-related dialog options. Or perk-specific options. I always find those so satisfying--that SPECIAL and perks might actually be tied to who my character is and not just what he can do in combat--but they're nowhere to be found in Fallout 4. That's kind of a bummer.

Hopefully Obsidian's follow-up (SHUT UP I'M BEING OPTIMISTIC) will have Cirosan's mod as the default dialog input and offer more than four options and offer all those wonderful SPECIAL- and perk-related dialog options and please just let me dream :ohdear:

True, which I suppose ties in to how there's now a disconnect between your characters stats and perks and who they are as a character, which is more static. I'm not pleased with how they handled it either. I can think of only one instance where my intelligence was used, and that was repairing the Constitution (high int let you repair things instead of going on a quest to replace them). I've had a couple dialogue options in which my character displayed an uncharacteristic level of understanding about a technical subject (BoS spoiler I think it was talking to Ingram about Liberty Prime's magnet joints). I wonder if that was based on his high intelligence? If it was it wasn't labeled as such, and if it wasn't it was an odd departure from your character usually being clueless about everything.

CJacobs posted:

They've got the exact same "but thou must" main plot though, down to the same story beats except ctrl-F "I need to find my dad" and replace with "I need to find my son", so it's exactly the same amount of contrived in the long run even if the endings do take the New Vegas approach of giving you the freedom to pick whichever faction you want.

I have no issue with giving a story a certain impetus to keep you moving in a certain direction - it's important in a sandbox game. I'm not a huge fan of the "rescue your family" plots in FO3 and 4 but I recognize they served a purpose. The crowning moment of poo poo I was referring to in Fallout 3 is the decision at the end to die in the irradiated chamber or let Sarah Lyons die for you when half of your companions are perfectly able to do it for you (and that's not even taking into account how the whole conflict with the Enclave over the water makes no goddamned sense).

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 18, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Iceshade posted:

They have blood, blood is oil.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

please don't tell me you thought the original Fallout 3 ending was a satisfying ending.

No, but I didn't really like that New Vegas ended completely after Hoover drat, either.

My point is, based on all the evidence and heated opinions we've seen just in this thread alone, Bethesda would have been poo poo on for the ending of FO3 regardless of the degree of quality compared to New Vegas because people really want to give bethesda poo poo for everything, deserving or not. And they certainly are deserving of some of it!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Kneecapper is a good legendary perk for a minigun. Retook the fort by shooting each of the mire lurks just enough to shatter their legs and letting the Minutemen mop up. The queen didn't make it past the breach before she was immobilized for easy plinking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magmarashi posted:

No, but I didn't really like that New Vegas ended completely after Hoover drat, either.

My point is, based on all the evidence and heated opinions we've seen just in this thread alone, Bethesda would have been poo poo on for the ending of FO3 regardless of the degree of quality compared to New Vegas because people really want to give bethesda poo poo for everything, deserving or not. And they certainly are deserving of some of it!

Did you know this game barely looks better than Fallout 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

No, but I didn't really like that New Vegas ended completely after Hoover Dam, either.
i feel they could have given a prompt at the end that says something like "Continue Game? Warning: nothing afterwards would make any sense in the context of what just happened" but that was rope kid's call.

quote:

My point is, based on all the evidence and heated opinions we've seen just in this thread alone, Bethesda would have been poo poo on for the ending of FO3 regardless of the degree of quality compared to New Vegas because people really want to give bethesda poo poo for everything, deserving or not.
i'm pretty sure those people are just as ignored as MisterBibs is, because most people who are also regular posters in the FNV thread including myself talk about NV's shortcomings as well.

• Locked thread