Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

You must wait before logging in to this world...
Position 821

[Failed to queue for server]

:(

Edit: Their login server crashed. Restarted as advised, got right in.

Edit2: LMAO they let loose a balrog in Minas Tirith

Gonna need screenshots of that balrog please, my client is still downloading because I never plan ahead properly for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah, definitely some problems, but it seems promising. Hopefully they get useful data and are able to fix things up.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Edit2: WTF. Stairway to heaven at the top of MT

I'm super sad I didn't see that earlier. I got an item "Decaying jetpack" but it expired before I could check it out because I was still climbing. There were tons of other emotes and stuff closer to the top apparently.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 7, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You know how when MMO's die the developers go crazy and do a lot of insanely fun things?

They're practicing... :tinfoil:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You know how when MMO's die the developers go crazy and do a lot of insanely fun things?

They're practicing... :tinfoil:

Right before poo poo posters die they post negative stuff about test servers as though they were the real server. Nice screenshots Alucinor, thanks for sharing. I've got it all installed now so if they do another test next weekend I'll be there.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
:siren: Transfer Update :siren:

Just to give people an update, I have been watching the transfer page about every three days. Today silverlode actually appears as a selectable server, but there are no options to transfer to yet except bullroarer. As soon as Landroval comes up, we can start the transfer or barring that as not an option Gladden as goons decided on many pages ago.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxphocker posted:

:siren: Transfer Update :siren:

Just to give people an update, I have been watching the transfer page about every three days. Today silverlode actually appears as a selectable server, but there are no options to transfer to yet except bullroarer. As soon as Landroval comes up, we can start the transfer or barring that as not an option Gladden as goons decided on many pages ago.

This may have been answered. But when you transfer is it your account or is it done on a character by character basis? Like do I need to individually transfer each of my alts?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This may have been answered. But when you transfer is it your account or is it done on a character by character basis? Like do I need to individually transfer each of my alts?

It will let you choose who to move.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yup. If the copying to Bullroarer uses the same procedure as the regular transfers (and from how it appeared, it does; I used the "transfer" button yesterday for the test), then you get a list of items you can check or uncheck when you choose your origin and destination servers. Account-shared data is one item, and then the rest is a list of your toons. If you check off all the boxes, then that would presumably move your entire server presence over at once. (Or possibly it's a separate checkbox, I don't entirely remember.)

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I have characters on Silverlode and Landroval. If I transfer my Silverlode characters to Landroval, they will merge together (I have enough char slots) and any excess shared items will go into overflow, right?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I have characters on Silverlode and Landroval. If I transfer my Silverlode characters to Landroval, they will merge together (I have enough char slots) and any excess shared items will go into overflow, right?

I'd imagine it would be that easy, yes. It seems that they've actually done a pretty great job with the server transfers so far. This game really needed a smooth transition in order to have a chance at recovery after the downward slide of the last few years. It really is one of the best MMOs on the market and it'll be lots of fun when we're suddenly on a server with 5-10x the population of Silverlode.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I hate transfer talk but this is relevant and new today so here's words, nothing too new beyond Brandywine opening up for all closing servers (you won't catch me going there), the obvious of transfers being behind so they delayed actual server closings by a couple more months, and two more servers opening up for free transfers off them next week.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?582819-New-Hardware-Update

I just finished the Minas Tirith epic quest and god drat did they do some cool stuff. If you enjoy lore and storytelling do it for itself, if you hate stories do it for the best cloak in the game, a star-lit crystal, and the 3 or so scrolls of empowerment you get along the way.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So, with the news that Brandywine is opening back up sooner than expected, does that change anything for the Nazgun? I personally still want to go to Landroval.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

ruffz posted:

So, with the news that Brandywine is opening back up sooner than expected, does that change anything for the Nazgun? I personally still want to go to Landroval.

No, not changing. This conversation never happened.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just got my 100 points for helping on the stress test. No jackpot for me it would seem.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They just enabled transfers for Imladris today, now there's only one more server left before Silverlode. Hopefully in the next two weeks we'll be able to make the move finally.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I just restarted this game on a whim and I haven't played it since like 2010 (before it went f2p). It sounds like goons are going to be moving to landroval or whatever, so I may as well move my characters there right? They are currently on Brandywine.

Also, I have a level 40 or so Warden and I have no clue what the heck I'm doing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wait until we move before doing anything.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I just restarted this game on a whim and I haven't played it since like 2010 (before it went f2p). It sounds like goons are going to be moving to landroval or whatever, so I may as well move my characters there right? They are currently on Brandywine.

Also, I have a level 40 or so Warden and I have no clue what the heck I'm doing.

Yeah cause they're freaking confusing. I have a warden that I dropped at 30 or so and I have no will to re-learn it at all. I remember it being a really fun class though, once I knew what I was getting into.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Looks like you still can't transfer from the former EU servers to a US server :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hammerstein posted:

Looks like you still can't transfer from the former EU servers to a US server :(

If I remember their server setup correctly, you will never ever ever be able to transfer from EU to US servers or vice versa. Something about having duplicate character ID's that would overwrite, or something like that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah cause they're freaking confusing. I have a warden that I dropped at 30 or so and I have no will to re-learn it at all. I remember it being a really fun class though, once I knew what I was getting into.

That plus the million different kinds of weird currencies (seals, marks, symbols, etc etc) and tradeskill crap in my inventory have me hopelessly confused. I logged in standing in the jewelcrafting guild, so apparently I was working on that I guess.

I've always liked the idea of the Warden class because there is nothing quite like it in other MMOs. I remember enjoying it, but drat there are so many gambits and buttons to remember that it's going to take me a while. Also, I seem to remember there being some sort of gambit that restored power thatI can't find anymore.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
The barter wallet can help with all the currencies and token in the game :

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Barter_Wallet

Also, I'm selling a lot of essence and stuff before the server transfer, for the first time since I'm playing I'll pass the 1000 gold mark ! yay

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That plus the million different kinds of weird currencies (seals, marks, symbols, etc etc) and tradeskill crap in my inventory have me hopelessly confused. I logged in standing in the jewelcrafting guild, so apparently I was working on that I guess.

I've always liked the idea of the Warden class because there is nothing quite like it in other MMOs. I remember enjoying it, but drat there are so many gambits and buttons to remember that it's going to take me a while. Also, I seem to remember there being some sort of gambit that restored power thatI can't find anymore.

Depending on when you played last, there may indeed more drastic changes than you realize. A couple of years ago the game got straight up old fashioned skill trees. So you made need to pop into that, and pick which spec you want to run (red, blue or yellow), then the skills you're looking for may be in one of those lines, or something unlocked by going deep enough into the tree.

Regarding crafting crap - I used to get overwhelmed by that too, but finally learned "gently caress it" because the inventory management alone was turning me off the game. If you're not sure what a bunch of garbage in your inventory is, just sell it all on the AH or vendor it. Odds of you having some AMAZING VALUABLE THING without you knowing it are almost nil, especially at only level 40.

Also gently caress crafting, waste of time and money, heh. I haven't played the latest content patch yet, but I might finally just let my crafting die (I've always kept it maxed because I'm stupid and it was a number to make go up - never used it for a drat thing, maybe a third age bridle once? that's worse than using it for nothing). With the new crafting tier with the latest patch, did they continue the "newer tiers require more and more mats because why not" trend?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

xZAOx posted:

Depending on when you played last, there may indeed more drastic changes than you realize. A couple of years ago the game got straight up old fashioned skill trees. So you made need to pop into that, and pick which spec you want to run (red, blue or yellow), then the skills you're looking for may be in one of those lines, or something unlocked by going deep enough into the tree.

Regarding crafting crap - I used to get overwhelmed by that too, but finally learned "gently caress it" because the inventory management alone was turning me off the game. If you're not sure what a bunch of garbage in your inventory is, just sell it all on the AH or vendor it. Odds of you having some AMAZING VALUABLE THING without you knowing it are almost nil, especially at only level 40.

Also gently caress crafting, waste of time and money, heh. I haven't played the latest content patch yet, but I might finally just let my crafting die (I've always kept it maxed because I'm stupid and it was a number to make go up - never used it for a drat thing, maybe a third age bridle once? that's worse than using it for nothing). With the new crafting tier with the latest patch, did they continue the "newer tiers require more and more mats because why not" trend?

Hah, I had forgotten about the skill trees. I took one look at them and was all :psyduck: and then forgot about them. Which one is best for an idiot warden?

I remember going all out with cooking and farming with a character and an alt for some reason. Apparently I was going all out jewelcrafting, but I don't really know why. I haven't even looked in a bank yet, that will probably just make things worse.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's Darkness Before Dawn (RGRYR).

Warden trait lines are blue for tanking, red for melee DPS, and yellow for ranged/support. If you use red or blue, make sure you grab the +20% light damage traits in both lines.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AskYourself posted:

The barter wallet can help with all the currencies and token in the game :

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Barter_Wallet

Also, I'm selling a lot of essence and stuff before the server transfer, for the first time since I'm playing I'll pass the 1000 gold mark ! yay

:stare:
Why didn't I know about this before?

So. . . much. . . inventory space.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's honestly probably the single most convenient thing to buy, especially at its price.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the single most useful thing I've bought in Lotro. The Universal Toolkit has been handy, and the 6th bag for everyone is cool too, but it all pales in comparison to the usefulness of a wallet that holds the 239464328658 currency items for your characters.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So if I subbed before f2p and bought the original SoA do I still have to buy quest packs for places like the North Downs?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So if I subbed before f2p and bought the original SoA do I still have to buy quest packs for places like the North Downs?

I'm pretty sure you do, and it's stupid. I've played since 2007 and remember having to buy some vanilla zones when I dropped my subscription after F2P. They're basically double dipping for the vanilla content.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ruffz posted:

I'm pretty sure you do, and it's stupid. I've played since 2007 and remember having to buy some vanilla zones when I dropped my subscription after F2P. They're basically double dipping for the vanilla content.

Yeah, I checked last night and that seems to be the case. I was confused at first because I have existing quests in those places that I can finish, but I can't get new ones. I have about 3000 turbine points for some reason, so maybe I'll use them for quest packs (or maybe that wallet upgrade).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Buy the wallet upgrade. You will immediately wonder how you managed to play this game without it. Then you'll wonder what to do with all the extra inventory/storage space it clears up. It's also nice because account-based currency shows up for all characters properly, like skirmish marks from your max level character being available to an alt you're leveling.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, I checked last night and that seems to be the case. I was confused at first because I have existing quests in those places that I can finish, but I can't get new ones. I have about 3000 turbine points for some reason, so maybe I'll use them for quest packs (or maybe that wallet upgrade).

Honestly I'd say just buy a month of VIP. You can blow through everything up to Moria in a month easily and all that stuff is unlocked with VIP. That content is fast enough to get through that I would save the TP for meatier things later on.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I seem to always get a failed to queue for server error, anyone know what the solution is for this? Searching does not yield anything of value on the interwebs.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

While I've been a lot out of the loop on this game since I've only been logging in when I need to pay the rent on my house in dwarf country, what do I need to know about this server transfer thing? Last time I was in a game that did a server merge, it was DDO where they made the decision for everyone where they were going.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I've been a lot out of the loop on this game since I've only been logging in when I need to pay the rent on my house in dwarf country, what do I need to know about this server transfer thing? Last time I was in a game that did a server merge, it was DDO where they made the decision for everyone where they were going.

If you're on Silverlode, our transfer opportunity should be coming in the next couple weeks (possibly December 1st). You get to pick any of the 5 destination servers that you want to go to. The Nazgun is hoping to go to Landroval.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SoggyGravy posted:

I seem to always get a failed to queue for server error, anyone know what the solution is for this? Searching does not yield anything of value on the interwebs.

It doesn't look like there are any major server issues right now, so maybe try some of the fixes detailed here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/212500/discussions/0/613939294235546993/

Otherwise maybe try a reinstall?

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
So I started playing again for the first time in about a year and a half I guess. I was on Landroval with a few other goons who appear to have not logged on in nearly the same amount of time so I'm now in possession of the Nazgun kinship on Landroval. If the rest of you choose to come here then I'll toss lead to whoever when transfers open and let you cool dudes handle it. The kinship is max rank so everything is good to go right away for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

How does transferring the kin work if there's an identically named kin on the new server?