Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Just google around for a separate numpad?
15 seconds of effort, just to show what I mean: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016MNXEII?psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

keyframe posted:

Hey guys,

I am looking for a customizable keypad. No bigger than num keypad size but as thin as possible and bluetooth preferred. Does something like that exist?

Basically something like this but much smaller and thinner if possible because it has to fit in a slim laptop bag.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

Define customizable.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ColHannibal posted:

Define customizable.

Being able to assign macros to keys.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
There are plenty of programmable keypads but none in the form factor you desire, at least to my knowledge.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

keyframe posted:

Being able to assign macros to keys.

Macro programmable is the killer, no such thing exists for numpads. You only bet is to get a numpad and program the macros from a dedicated program but that sounds unreliable compared to a gamepad by Logitec/Razer.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Buy whatever numpad you want and use autohotkey for macros.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Nondescript Van posted:

I will try this out, thanks.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

Pro tip, buy a cherry stem'd one so you can get custom keycaps made for it at WASD. I had a thought to do this if I was going to get back into elite dangerous as having basic functions mapped to random joystick buttons is annoying and being able to look at a numpad that has a "landing gear" button sounds pretty boss.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you're looking to spend $ridiculous there's some options like:
http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xk24.php

A numpad and some autohotkey rebinds is probably cheaper and easier.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rexxed posted:

If you're looking to spend $ridiculous there's some options like:
http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xk24.php

A numpad and some autohotkey rebinds is probably cheaper and easier.

Those relegendable keys with Cherry stems were on Massdrop not too long ago. I don't remember the price though but it was cheap like <$1 each

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 16, 2015

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ColHannibal posted:

Pro tip, buy a cherry stem'd one so you can get custom keycaps made for it at WASD. I had a thought to do this if I was going to get back into elite dangerous as having basic functions mapped to random joystick buttons is annoying and being able to look at a numpad that has a "landing gear" button sounds pretty boss.

I will probably get the one linked at the top of the page. I can live without custom key caps. I will be using it with zbrush on the surface book. all I need to do is map ctrl/alt and shift to the buttons.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

autohotkey is the poo poo.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Useless and looks like you also need a projector, but cool nonetheless:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So "T" is that big piss you take after holding it in for the last three hours of a car trip.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

mcbexx posted:

Useless and looks like you also need a projector, but cool nonetheless:

That would make for a fun Space Invaders-like game

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i'm thinking about buying my first mechanical keyboard, and am trying to find something that meets the following requirements:
  • Tenkeyless.
  • Must have arrow keys.
  • Smaller layout/size (Pok3r-ish).
  • White backlight.
  • Standard key sizes.
  • Available with Cherry Blue switches.

Does something like this exist? The closest thing i've found is the WASD CODE Keyboard, although it's a slightly larger layout.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

frogbs posted:

So i'm thinking about buying my first mechanical keyboard, and am trying to find something that meets the following requirements:
  • Tenkeyless.
  • Must have arrow keys.
  • White backlight.
  • Standard key sizes.

Does something like this exist? The closest thing i've found is the WASD CODE Keyboard, although it's a slightly larger layout.

There is no 75% layout currently made so you have no options for new. If you can find somebody who will sell you a vortex pure or race that is your best bet. The chances are slim that you will find one with blues for sale sadly so with that in mind here is my recommendation.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-doubleshot-Keycaps-Mx-Blue/dp/B014T4NR7U

Backlit pok3r with mx Blues, rebinding the arrow keys to function wasd and profit.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ColHannibal posted:

There is no 75% layout currently made so you have no options for new. If you can find somebody who will sell you a vortex pure or race that is your best bet. The chances are slim that you will find one with blues for sale sadly so with that in mind here is my recommendation.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-doubleshot-Keycaps-Mx-Blue/dp/B014T4NR7U

Backlit pok3r with mx Blues, rebinding the arrow keys to function wasd and profit.

Ugh, that's basically perfect, but I just dont know if i'll ever be able to live without dedicated arrow keys. Do you have to hold down FN while you use WASD? Can you map the arrows to another key cluster, like right alt/ctrl/shift?

Edit:

I think my ideal board would basically be a backlit version of the Leopold F660M, which I guess doesn't exist?

Second edit:

Is it super unethical to order the Pok3r and return it if I don't like it? Not sure if Amazon will accept something that's been opened?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 18, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Just do it, because you're not gonna return it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

frogbs posted:

Ugh, that's basically perfect, but I just dont know if i'll ever be able to live without dedicated arrow keys. Do you have to hold down FN while you use WASD? Can you map the arrows to another key cluster, like right alt/ctrl/shift?

Edit:

I think my ideal board would basically be a backlit version of the Leopold F660M, which I guess doesn't exist?

Second edit:

Is it super unethical to order the Pok3r and return it if I don't like it? Not sure if Amazon will accept something that's been opened?

Pok3r is fully programmable so yes you can.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

frogbs posted:

Edit:

Second edit:

I ordered Das and a full sized CODE before returning both and buying a CODE TKL with clears from Amazon. You might eat a restocking/shipping fee or two but it's probably your best bet if you can't access them any other way to try them out.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

frogbs posted:

• Tenkeyless.
  • Must have arrow keys.
  • White backlight.
  • Standard key sizes.

Actually I think I saw a Massdrop recently that is exactly that...yep.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/keycool-hero-84

quote:

Note: At check-out, you can choose between Black or White case color. You have your choice of Kailh mechanical switches in Brown or Blue, or Cherry MX switches in Black (+$6), Red (+$16), Blue (+$15), Brown(+20), or Green (+$25). You also may choose White, or Blue backlighting. For this drop, only White Top Printed PBT keycaps are available.

Ship date ain't til January though...oh, 12 hours left on it too, ouch.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Brightman posted:

Anyone know if the key cap sizes are standard on that?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
From what I can find the space bar is the same as on a Leopold FC660M which is a standard 6.25 at least. This says it has a standard spacebar and a non-standard layout, which I think means you'd be limited to like a DSA profile over an SA one where the keys are all the same across all rows...well that and the right shift at least is definitely smaller than normal, so yeah.

Edit: Then again it's not like there aren't options for that, here's a customize Noppoo board that's a similar, if not same, layout:

Edit 2: Speaking of there's a Noppoo RGB backlit on Amazon. Says just "blue switches" but reviews and some of their other boards say Cherry MX, so I dunno what's up with that. I think RGB can be set to white. Funnily enough these are POM keycaps, seems like 75% keyboards hate ABS.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 18, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So thinking about getting an ergo mechanical because I'm typing a ton for work and starting to feel the impact on my wrists/hands. It seems like the best options are the Matias and the Teck. I'm leaning toward the Teck; i don't really care about the split format of the Matias and it's got a few reviews online saying it's got flaky switches that often start to repeat. Ergodox a distant possibility but i'm not interested in building one.

Any opinions from the thread on this? Anyone own and enjoy a Teck, or hate it?

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2015

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Horizontal Tree posted:

Just do it, because you're not gonna return it.

Welp, I went for the Poker3. Hopefully I don't hate it!

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. That RGB LED Noppoo is awesome too...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Brightman posted:

I just want to say that it's super loving rare for someone to drop into this thread and unload a laundry list of requirements and for there to simultaneously be an active drop on Massdrop that fits the bill exactly.

You should buy that Keycool Hero just so the mechanical keyboard mystics might smile on you again in the future.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I just want to say that it's super loving rare for someone to drop into this thread and unload a laundry list of requirements and for there to simultaneously be an active drop on Massdrop that fits the bill exactly.

You should buy that Keycool Hero just so the mechanical keyboard mystics might smile on you again in the future.

Ugh, you're probably right. Is there any shame in going from zero to keyboard collection in a few hours?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

frogbs posted:

Ugh, you're probably right. Is there any shame in going from zero to keyboard collection in a few hours?

As long as you have a roof over your head and there's food on the table, all is forgiven.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Slowhanded posted:

As long as you have a roof over your head and there's food on the table, all is forgiven.

I just impulse bought a hhkb after adding up how much it would cost to outfit a pok3r with black on black keycaps.

They are appeased.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Hmmm, some comments on MassDrop say the Cherry Blues feel weird on this:

quote:

After receiving mine, I'd highly recommend avoiding Cherry Blues. The switches are wildly inconsistent from one another. The noise of each click varies greatly, and some of the switches wobble so much that they bind under normal use. The force required to press the switch isn't consistent due to poor tolerances. Some of the sliders are way rougher than others.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

frogbs posted:

Hmmm, some comments on MassDrop say the Cherry Blues feel weird on this:

Welp, bullet dodged I guess, the only reviews I read for it were for like reds or blacks I think, sorry. At least if you want to try to find another it's just a matter of looking for a 75%/84-key keyboard. The Noppoo ones might be good, but sometimes they use Kaith switches, so I dunno. The Pok3r you got will probably be more than adequate once you get used to it.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

I just impulse bought a hhkb after adding up how much it would cost to outfit a pok3r with black on black keycaps.

They are appeased.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12047.0

you know, if you want.

My bluetooth controller is on it's way to me now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12047.0

you know, if you want.

My bluetooth controller is on it's way to me now.

Does it replace the internals or plug into a port on the board?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Does it replace the internals or plug into a port on the board?

It replaces the main logic board. It's super simple to change out, the rest of the board is just connected by a single connector. Completely reversible as well.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

It replaces the main logic board. It's super simple to change out, the rest of the board is just connected by a single connector. Completely reversible as well.

Very tempting, let me live with it for a bit and see if I want to reprogram the board.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hi there! I don't really know anything about keyboards, but I'm looking for a cheap(ish) keyboard that I will be able to put some colored keycaps on (like these: Keycaps)

I'm not sure how to tell what keyboards these type of keycaps are compatible with. Can I just buy a cheapo keyboard like this one: Keyboard, and throw those keycaps on it?

I don't really play computer games, so I'm not too picky about keyboard specifics.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 20, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RCarr posted:

Hi there! I don't really know anything about keyboards, but I'm looking for a cheap(ish) keyboard that I will be able to put some colored keycaps on (like these: Keycaps)

I'm not sure how to tell what keyboards these type of keycaps are compatible with. Can I just buy a cheapo keyboard like this one: Keyboard, and throw those keycaps on it?

I don't really play computer games, so I'm not too picky about keyboard specifics.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Those keycaps will only work on keyboards with Cherry MX key switches, or ones made to be compatible with them.

Something that just says "mechanical" may or may not be cherry style switches, there are other types of mechanical switch than Cherry. "Mechanical style" sounds even worse. That is very unlikely to have even the chinese copies of cherry switches for $30.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Klyith posted:

Those keycaps will only work on keyboards with Cherry MX key switches, or ones made to be compatible with them.

Something that just says "mechanical" may or may not be cherry style switches, there are other types of mechanical switch than Cherry. "Mechanical style" sounds even worse. That is very unlikely to have even the chinese copies of cherry switches for $30.

Beat me to it.

And I think "mechanical style" means nothing. I would expect rubber dome on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the info! Is anyone able to recommend a keyboard that uses the Cherry MX switches? Preferably on the cheaper end of the spectrum? I don't really have a preference between Blue, Black, Red, Brown, etc. I don't care about backlighting or any extra features like that. I'm just looking for something simple I can throw some pretty colorful keycaps on :)

• Locked thread