Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Did you know this game barely looks better than Fallout 3?

I can't believe they printed and shipped this garbage without a single shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magmarashi posted:

No, but I didn't really like that New Vegas ended completely after Hoover drat, either.

My point is, based on all the evidence and heated opinions we've seen just in this thread alone, Bethesda would have been poo poo on for the ending of FO3 regardless of the degree of quality compared to New Vegas because people really want to give bethesda poo poo for everything, deserving or not. And they certainly are deserving of some of it!

Lets compare it to skyrim.

In Skyrim in valhalla at the end of the game, you fight the evil dragon. Its a long fight and its quite filled with talking.

In fallout 4
You go to some location and defend it for like 2 minutes then a movie plays of a giant robot or nuke going off

Its like night and day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magmarashi posted:

I can't believe they printed and shipped this garbage without a single shadow

And no teeth in anyone's mouths! Shameful.

quote:

In Skyrim in valhalla at the end of the game, you fight the evil dragon. Its a long fight and its quite filled with talking.

The cool part is when you first go to Sovngarde (Valhalla) and the guard asks you what right you have to enter the great hall. The generic answer is "By right of birth, I am Dovahkiin!" but you can also say various other things you've accomplished if you had done them, such as right of blood for being Listener for the Night Mother, right of glory as leader of the Companions, etc.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 18, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In some ways the whole plot of the game is pretty small and local stories. So how it ended won't matter in 50 years or whatever when the next game takes place. In some ways that makes the story throw away but in another way every single videogame doesn't really need to be "THE WHOLE WORLD IS ENDING OMG!" all the time.

I meant more in the sense that they'd pick something like an NCR forming or a larger East Coast Brotherhood military state or a Institute backed Commonwealth. It makes using any Commonwealth pieces difficult for potential future titles, even if they'll likely dump it and move on however stretch of time or location they chose, if they don't have a clear ending states. But then again we'd likely have no idea what Bethesda will chose until we're beating each other over the head with our own personal canon diatribes when the next game is announced and the thread cycle begins anew.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Dog armour for Dogmeat - Is it purely cosmetic or does it actually help him survive the beating a bit longer? I think it looks ugly as hell, but if it helps him keep the enemy busy for a bit longer I'm all for it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tenzarin posted:

You need an automatic weapon that is legendary with wounding gives target 30 bleeding damage. Each shot makes the target bleed for 30 and its not affected by resistances.

Automatic weapons are amazing at the high end. I'm rolling in so many fusion cells and plasma cartridges from clearing out dungeons that I my Righteous Authority and wounding automatic Plasma Rifle never run out of ammo.

With proper gun nut upgrades they do insane damage too. Righteous Authority is basically a crit machine that is hyper accurate. And does 2x crit damage. So I can just constantly headshot and vaporize things.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Crabtree posted:

I meant more in the sense that they'd pick something like an NCR forming or a larger East Coast Brotherhood military state or a Institute backed Commonwealth. It makes using any Commonwealth pieces difficult for potential future titles, even if they'll likely dump it and move on however stretch of time or location they chose, if they don't have a clear ending states. But then again we'd likely have no idea what Bethesda will chose until we're beating each other over the head with our own personal canon diatribes when the next game is announced and the thread cycle begins anew.
wishful thinking but for a sequel to Fallout Tactics i'd be pretty hype about a game set in the northern US/Canada three way between the burgeoning NCR, the newly reformed "warrior honor" Legion that the Legate wanted to build (requirement of 100 Speech and Barter) and the ultra-militarized East Coast BOS

add some russian stalkers who crossed over the Great Frozen North and we have a fuckin' party

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

And no teeth in anyone's mouths! Shameful.

Literal garbage. I opened my pip-boy edition box and 3-week old Hardee's wrappers poured out. I was amazed when they actually worked to install the game. It Just Works.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Vier posted:

Any fix for getting stuck in terminals/conversations? I tried setting the game to window borderless and edited the Fallout4Prefs.ini to change iPresentInterval=1 but I'm still getting stuck.

From way far back, but the only thing that solved this was capping my framerate. Which involved downloading a 3rd party utility.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

wishful thinking but for a sequel to Fallout Tactics i'd be pretty hype about a game set in the northern US/Canada three way between the burgeoning NCR, the newly reformed "warrior honor" Legion that the Legate wanted to build (requirement of 100 Speech and Barter) and the ultra-militarized East Coast BOS

Since we're talking endings I still think it's badass as hell how if you play as a diplomatic woman on the side of the NCR, Legate Lanius, second (or first depending) in command of the slaver rapists, refers to you as "the Woman of the West".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:911: beautiful quest

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Fun fact: Before meeting Deacon in the Railroad HQ, he can be found tailing you undercover in various locations. He always has a generic name like "Drifter" or "Resident", but he uses the same model, has the same voice actor, and is marked as essential. Deacon owns.

drat that's cool. I wondered why he was so gung-ho to vouch for me and how he talked like he knew who I was even though I hadn't met him before.

There's tons of little touches in this game that I love.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Listening to the diamond city radio, I'm hearing songs I remember from FO3. My assumption had been that Bethesda just paid songwriters to come up with atom bomb / fallout themed songs in a 1950s style for the games. I was a bit :staredog: when I found out that they're actual songs from the 1950s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Somebody please get rid of that half second transition from hip fire to scoped for scopes please.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is there a set of armor after combat armor?

I've been running around in the same armor for 30 levels now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MoraleHazard posted:

Listening to the diamond city radio, I'm hearing songs I remember from FO3. My assumption had been that Bethesda just paid songwriters to come up with atom bomb / fallout themed songs in a 1950s style for the games. I was a bit :staredog: when I found out that they're actual songs from the 1950s.

Spotify taught me that there are a surprising number of Fallout/Oblivion rap songs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xae posted:

heavy combat armor

bonus: you can use the mods from regular combat armor on heavy combat armor

after that ballistic weave from doing some lovely errands for the railroad to get a sweet +110 DR fedora

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargs posted:

Just had to revert about two hours' progress because the game gave me a radiant quest to kill everything at a location that I already cleared at the very beginning of the game. Good to see that bug making a return from Skyrim. I was worried that Bethesda actually made a single step forward with one of their games but luckily they are indeed completely incapable of any improvement whatsoever.

Did you actually go there or just decide it was bugged and reload? Because all the radiant quests I've had that have me going somewhere I already cleared worked fine and the location had mobs in it again for me to kill.

Also I'll never understand people who turn autosave off in Bethesda games.

MoraleHazard posted:

lol some of you live sheltered lives is all I can say

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Has anyone had problems with some resources in settlements being forgotten after you leave? At first I had it wit the Drive-In forgetting I had any defenses down, but now annoyingly it's moved to Sanctuary thinking I only have 11 beds down when I've got about 24, so every time I go back people bitch at me about "the bed situation". Of course when you go into workshop mode it immediately remembers you have the stuff and updates the pipboy to match, but fast travel away and it forgets again. Any known way to fix this?

Also, I decided to take a Vertibird from Sanctuary to Corvega to clear it out for a radiant quest last night. It dropped me off to the sound of the expected raider gunfire, but I wasn't expecting them to be shooting at a supermutant behemoth who was being swarmed by feral ghouls. And to top it all off I then started getting shot in the back by synths. Wish I hadn't been spotted because that would have been an interesting fight to watch :eyepop:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Did you actually go there or just decide it was bugged and reload? Because all the radiant quests I've had that have me going somewhere I already cleared worked fine and the location had mobs in it again for me to kill.

Also I'll never understand people who turn autosave off in Bethesda games.

I hope this gets quoted every page so I can continue having a good laugh at this guy.

Ok, so, what's the deal with Stingwings? They keep loving off from combat instead of fighting unless I am 2 feet from them at the start.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magmarashi posted:

No, but I didn't really like that New Vegas ended completely after Hoover drat, either.

My point is, based on all the evidence and heated opinions we've seen just in this thread alone, Bethesda would have been poo poo on for the ending of FO3 regardless of the degree of quality compared to New Vegas because people really want to give bethesda poo poo for everything, deserving or not. And they certainly are deserving of some of it!

Grr! I think Bethesda are actually really great but I want to pretend to hate them for some reason!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Xae posted:

There's Synth Armour, though not every piece is better than Combat armor. Also most of the higher end Legendary Armour is a LOT better.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's no Macho Dragons, but DMX DOGMEAT is pretty funny

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fans posted:

There's Synth Armour, though not every piece is better than Combat armor. Also most of the higher end Legendary Armour is a LOT better.

Ah I see you've been admiring my "+15% defense versus animals" Left Combat Leg.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
"Hey I like this Bing Crosby guy, I wonder if he's got a youtube channel!"
:goonsay:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

I kinda wished they had some more original songs for the radio. Like where's all the weird retrofuture 50s music to go with the weird retrofuture they have? Surely they would have written some new songs between the 1950s and 2077, don't tell me that the only thing future 50s people listened to was 100 year old music. I mean I guess you can chalk it up to only old records surviving but I think holotape music players were a thing and you still find working holotapes all over the place.

I chalk it up to laziness on Bethesda's part. Much easier to license some old songs than to come up with fresh material. At least get some Caravan Palace shoved in there, that stuff sounds like crazy future 50s music.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 18, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dandywalken posted:

Ah I see you've been admiring my "+15% defense versus animals" Left Combat Leg.

Doesn't that include Death Claws and Radscorpions? It ain't terrible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

frajaq posted:

:911: beautiful quest

Where can I start this quest???

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Oh cow number 00133506, how many more times do I have to console you down from this roof?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Starhawk64 posted:

I kinda wished they had some more original songs for the radio. Like where's all the weird retrofuture 50s music to go with the weird retrofuture they have? Surely they would have written some new songs between the 1950s and 2077, don't tell me that the only thing future 50s people listened to was 100 year old music. I mean I guess you can chalk it up to only old records surviving but I think holotape music players were a thing and you still find working holotapes all over the place.

I chalk it up to laziness on Bethesda's part. Much easier to license some old songs then come up with fresh material. At least get some Caravan Palace shoved in there, that stuff sounds like crazy future 50s music.
It's also because original songs are embarrassing crap unless you have a good songwriter on staff. The Lonesome Drifter songs from New Vegas are ok because they're just slightly altered classic ballads that you only see as an obscure quest reward anyway.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Where can I start this quest???

Just east of Bunker Hill.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

this is a dumb question but I'm a dumb guy so here goes

after I pick up a magazine and get the upgrade I can still see them in my inventory. can I sell them or do I have to have them to keep the upgrade?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GET MY BELT SON posted:

after I pick up a magazine and get the upgrade I can still see them in my inventory. can I sell them or do I have to have them to keep the upgrade?

Throw em on a magazine rack at your settlement of choice to be safe, IMO.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Doesn't that include Death Claws and Radscorpions? It ain't terrible.

No, I don't believe so. Radscorps are probably under the insect group despite being arachnids and deathclaws are traditionally abominations, though I'm not sure if that classification carries over.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

2house2fly posted:

It's also because original songs are embarrassing crap unless you have a good songwriter on staff. The Lonesome Drifter songs from New Vegas are ok because they're just slightly altered classic ballads that you only see as an obscure quest reward anyway.

The emeralds is here I can feel 'em in my FEET.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GET MY BELT SON posted:

You can sell them, the perk is permanent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

I chalk it up to laziness on Bethesda's part. Much easier to license some old songs than to come up with fresh material.

Probably more expense than laziness. There is original music in the game, the theme and background ambient music, but creating a whole selection of imitation bands from an alternate 1960's, 70's, 80's etc on top of that would be a pretty massive project either for their own composers or for whatever bands were hired to do it and it would end up being a huge amount of money and hours spent on something probably only a very small part of the playerbase pays any attention to. Licensing old songs is often cheap, and if they are old enough (75 years I think) you don't even need to license them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Soundtrack needs more Johnny Guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Obvious exemption to the rule that all original songs made up for games are hideously embarrassing: Metal Gear Rising. Persona 4 might count too, I forget if they were made for the game or licensed.

• Locked thread