Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

OK so there's this puzzle game for iOS (maybe Android too) that is not a certain recent AAA multiplatform release called Rop (actually I think just "rop" but gently caress your art I have to emphasise the title), and the difficulty curve is completely hosed. Maybe I'm just a spatially impaired dullard, but it seems like most of the puzzles are intuitive and easy with just a completely random sprinkling of lovely puzzles I have to faff around for an hour with until I stumble upon the correct solution.

E: I was not intending for that to be a new page but it works. The last few pages totally didn't exist, please don't quote anything from there or you'll create a paradox and we'll cease to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Yeah Bro posted:

Seek CBT. It can help with your problems in ways a Bethesda game cannot.

It would certainly make me cry more than Fallout 4 ever could no matter how hard it tries, but cock and ball torture can get pretty expensive.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Nov 18, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I agree with the people complaining about FO4, but for one very different reason:

I could replay FO:NV like five times because there were more options in ways to treat people and justify that with a made up back story from before I got my head shot by an rear end in a top hat I could choose to not actually care about.

FO:3 I did one and a half playthroughs because no matter what, I could not escape the Dad Quest constantly being something butting in on my casual romp through DC via dialogue or accidentally stumbling on quests.

FO4 being another Family Quest that's even more intrusive just makes replays more tedious because you get less wiggle room for playing with your imagination without Bethesda popping in to remind you that you're wrong, you cannot play as your original character Yonic, because you're actually playing as the dad from Heavy Rain.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just want to jump in here and point out that "it didn't let me play as doctor who" was a flaw pointed out about fo4 in this thread.

If you're like me and can't wrap your head around what kind of person is writing thousand-word essays about what's going on in their imaginations while playing a shooty game, think about that. It made some things click for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Just want to jump in here and point out that "it didn't let me play as doctor who" was a flaw pointed out about fo4 in this thread.

If you're like me and can't wrap your head around what kind of person is writing thousand-word essays about what's going on in their imaginations while playing a shooty game, think about that. It made some things click for me.
New Vegas, the superior game, does in fact let you play as Doctor Who.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like 4 pages that could have been solved by doing the barest research on a game before you buy it.

This is an oxymoron.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

death .cab for qt posted:

I agree with the people complaining about FO4, but for one very different reason:

I could replay FO:NV like five times because there were more options in ways to treat people and justify that with a made up back story from before I got my head shot by an rear end in a top hat I could choose to not actually care about.

FO:3 I did one and a half playthroughs because no matter what, I could not escape the Dad Quest constantly being something butting in on my casual romp through DC via dialogue or accidentally stumbling on quests.

FO4 being another Family Quest that's even more intrusive just makes replays more tedious because you get less wiggle room for playing with your imagination without Bethesda popping in to remind you that you're wrong, you cannot play as your original character Yonic, because you're actually playing as the dad from Heavy Rain.

Uh, stop being such a sperg! You loving fan fiction weirdo! Just shoot people, it's a shooting game!

But yeah, shitposting aside, Fallout 4 is a Bethesda game and I'm honestly surprised anyone expected anything but mediocrity, considering the overall trend in writing/story quality. Oblivion/Skyrim have a similar problem, with the latter being much more main-quest focused, which totally kills replayability.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
^^ I think a lot of the people holding this view are fine with Bethesda Mediocrity, because it's an entirely unique flavor to, say, Ubisoft Mediocrity. The problem is they've thrown something in that, while still mediocre, takes away from the uniqueness of Bethesda. I don't like Skyrim either, partly for exactly that reason, but they're still the only game in town for that.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I just used that as a reference point, that character's actually not very Doctor-ish the way I play them. I just follow a similar sort of 'overthought and weird but totally viable problem-solving' approach when I play as them. In FO3 and New Vegas that basically boiled down to using as many skill checks as possible, which was a far more fun approach to problems than just going in with a sharp thing and swinging away. There's apparently very few of them in 4, which is disappointing.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Nov 18, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For an ACTUAL GAMEPLAY complaint about FO4, it is far too easy to lose track of where you send companions when you dismiss them. The game really needs an option to just send someone back to where you found them, like Nick should just be back in his office instead of some empty settlement that you haven't bothered developing.

Also I hate the hacking minigame. You're stuck with either trial and error or taking way too long to figure out how to do it, hitting all the junk options to remove duds and such.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Aphrodite posted:

It's like 4 pages that could have been solved by doing the barest research on a game before you buy it.

Agreed. Anyone who bought Fallout 4 after the E3 reveal showed how terrible it would be has no right to gripe about what they got.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

For an ACTUAL GAMEPLAY complaint about FO4, it is far too easy to lose track of where you send companions when you dismiss them. The game really needs an option to just send someone back to where you found them, like Nick should just be back in his office instead of some empty settlement that you haven't bothered developing.

Also I hate the hacking minigame. You're stuck with either trial and error or taking way too long to figure out how to do it, hitting all the junk options to remove duds and such.

Apparently if you tab out of the location list, they go back to their original locations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

I did a system of: humans and ghouls to Sanctuary and non-humans to red rocket.

Complaint: you can't compare two weapons side by side so you have to memorize all the stats while scrolling through all the different weapons, all of which have different ammo types. And there's no way to sort by ammo type.

E: there's junk options to remove duds??? I think I have the pattern down sort of but that would help so much. It is same as NV?

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Nov 18, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you go through the junk data anything that is a completed bracket like {}[]<> (with however many characters in between) will either remove a 0 match word or refill your tries.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I wish FO4 would give you a better understanding of what settlers are assigned to what job. If a settler is assigned to a crop, for example, and you look at them while in the workshop view, the crop they work on will be highlighted green. This is nice, but absolutely useless if the job they have isn't in your view or is behind a building or inside a shack or something, because you can't see the job. It only highlights if you can actually see it already. It needs just a bit of text or an icon that explains what that settler does, so you can assign your guys better.

Also, what the hell makes a settlement successful? I've put a lot of work into Sanctuary, and have an approval rating of 79% with 15 settlers loving life there. Meanwhile, the farm with the stoner robot has an approval rating of 45% and dropping, but has 17 settlers for some reason. I know how to make them happy (make sure they have water and food and a defence rating) but that farm has half a wall on one side and 2 machinegun turrets, only 6 food and 6 water for 17 people, and only 8 beds. Of course they're unhappy. Why do people keep going there when Sanctuary is fully decked out to be the next Diamond City?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decorations raise happiness. They want their home to look nice.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Decorations raise happiness. They want their home to look nice.

I didn't know that. Thanks. But still, Sanctuary is decorated since that's my "base". That farm is just a barely developed shithole with no decorations, but still attracts more settlers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well you can always turn off the radio at the farm if you don't want more people.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I sent Nick to Sanctuary Hills and I haven't been able to find him since. I lost Dogmeat and Codsworth there for a while, too. I really wish companions would show up on the local map. I don't know if it's just because Sanctuary Hills is so big that I keep losing them or what. I've turned Red Rocket Gas Station into like a forward operating base where I keep my power armor, my personal armory, and companions that aren't currently traveling with me since it's small enough to find everything and close to SH, but it's too late for poor missing Nick.

Also, this talk of settlements reminded me, they really need to make it more obvious when a settlement is under attack. Unless I'm missing something, the only way to tell is by a small popup in the upper left of the screen adding a "Help defend X" miscellaneous quest. Luckily I noticed it in time to help a settlement fight off the first invasion I ever got, but I guess I must have been looking at my phone or something for the second one because all of a sudden I got a notification saying "Help defend Y: OBJECTIVE FAILED." Just give me a message from my Pip-Boy radio saying "Hey, I'm here at Z, we're seeing a lot of activity from raiders/ghouls/whatever, can you come take a look?" or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Agreed. Anyone who bought Fallout 4 after the E3 reveal showed how terrible it would be has no right to gripe about what they got.

A few people have said this and it makes no sense. You can point out a problem with a game (especially in some kind of thread for pointing out problems with games) and still enjoy other features of it that make it worth playing. This goes back to the weird attempts to shut down discussion by saying "if you don't like a thing about a game then why did you buy it huh? It's your own fault" which is very dumb and implies that if you don't like something about a game then clearly you don't like anything about it. Also I can't speak for anyone else but in my case the game was a gift, so it's not like I preordered myself and should somehow accept everything wrong with the game as my own fault for owning a copy.

As it is I'm level 19ish in FO4 and have enjoyed it a lot in spite of my complaints and could see myself playing it for many more hours and hopefully replays, in spite of its terrible performance on my PC. Especially once some good mods come out for it. I like the game but I'm very sorry if these flaws I'm pointing out offend people who didn't want to see flaws about a game in the flaws about games thread.

Whether someone's complaints with a game could have been predicted or not doesn't make those complaints any less valid.

Thin Privilege posted:

Complaint: you can't compare two weapons side by side so you have to memorize all the stats while scrolling through all the different weapons, all of which have different ammo types. And there's no way to sort by ammo type.

There's also many stats that it just doesn't show for some reason, like reload speed and recoil, and effects on items (such as "pocketed" armor giving you more inventory space) that it only shows on the mods screen but not in the inventory.

It should also really put the materials that junk is made of next to the name when you hover over an item. As it is you have to pick up a junk item and find it in the inventory to see what materials it gives you, and at this point I don't want to waste inventory space on things that will only give cloth and steel when what I really need gears and fiberglass. Hoping there will be a mod soon that adds this stuff to the UI soon, it should be pretty doable.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Nov 18, 2015

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I sent Nick to Sanctuary Hills and I haven't been able to find him since. I lost Dogmeat and Codsworth there for a while, too. I really wish companions would show up on the local map. I don't know if it's just because Sanctuary Hills is so big that I keep losing them or what. I've turned Red Rocket Gas Station into like a forward operating base where I keep my power armor, my personal armory, and companions that aren't currently traveling with me since it's small enough to find everything and close to SH, but it's too late for poor missing Nick.

How far are you in the main quest? Until you're done with his relevant part (up through Goodneighbor) Nick is either bugged or flagged to to go Piper's office or the next main quest location when you dismiss him. Once you finish up with the Memory Den in Goodneighbor, he should start behaving himself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

more than 20 words

whoa man thats a lotta words I think someone might be shooting up a school soon with all that mental illness :iamafag:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Thanks to this thread, I'm waiting for the FO4 GOTY edition with all the eventual DLC to exist and be on sale before bothering with it. I'm thinking $19.99 will be the sale point for me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

^^ I think a lot of the people holding this view are fine with Bethesda Mediocrity, because it's an entirely unique flavor to, say, Ubisoft Mediocrity. The problem is they've thrown something in that, while still mediocre, takes away from the uniqueness of Bethesda. I don't like Skyrim either, partly for exactly that reason, but they're still the only game in town for that.

I get your point. Bethesda games are sandboxy enough for you to roleplay differently in your style and the rpg statistics portions of it are robust enough for you to do different skill checks that feed back into the roleplay.

You and a bunch of other posters have tried time and again to make your case on why the game isn't working for you, and the other side just finds your complaints absurd. I don't think anyone is gonna change their opinion of this game from this thread and going on and on about it isn't really gonna help. I haven't said shut up about Fallout 4 yet bc I think there are valid complaints about the game and people can voice them here, but this really is going nowhere.

Y'all made your points. Agree to disagree. Video game chat shouldn't be an ideological struggle.

A few people have said this and it makes no sense. You can point out a problem with a game (especially in some kind of thread for pointing out problems with games) and still enjoy other features of it that make it worth playing. This goes back to the weird attempts to shut down discussion by saying "if you don't like a thing about a game then why did you buy it huh? It's your own fault" which is very dumb and implies that if you don't like something about a game then clearly you don't like anything about it. Also I can't speak for anyone else but in my case the game was a gift, so it's not like I preordered myself and should somehow accept everything wrong with the game as my own fault for owning a copy.

Some people don't like this thing about a video game. Other people are enjoying it and mocking the former crowd with being incapable of having fun. Seeing walls of text complaining about a game is just giving confirmation bias to the second crowd's opinions.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

How far are you in the main quest? Until you're done with his relevant part (up through Goodneighbor) Nick is either bugged or flagged to to go Piper's office or the next main quest location when you dismiss him. Once you finish up with the Memory Den in Goodneighbor, he should start behaving himself.

Now that I think about it, I did dismiss him at the very end of his relevant quest line, in Piper's office. I just never went back or thought to check there, since he wasn't at his office or the Memory Den and I'd already temporarily lost a couple companions to the sprawl of Sanctuary Hills. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out next time I play.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AlphaKretin posted:

OK so there's this puzzle game for iOS (maybe Android too) that is not a certain recent AAA multiplatform release called Rop (actually I think just "rop" but gently caress your art I have to emphasise the title), and the difficulty curve is completely hosed. Maybe I'm just a spatially impaired dullard, but it seems like most of the puzzles are intuitive and easy with just a completely random sprinkling of lovely puzzles I have to faff around for an hour with until I stumble upon the correct solution.

E: I was not intending for that to be a new page but it works. The last few pages totally didn't exist, please don't quote anything from there or you'll create a paradox and we'll cease to exist.

The peace ended immediately after this post.

Goons!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was thinking about goofy poo poo to sarcastically say people should RP during Fallout but then I just made myself sad that there isn't an episodic Quantum Leap game where each episode is a different genre as you try to help Sam leap his way home.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Len posted:

I was thinking about goofy poo poo to sarcastically say people should RP during Fallout but then I just made myself sad that there isn't an episodic Quantum Leap game where each episode is a different genre as you try to help Sam leap his way home.

Aw.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Len posted:

"I don't get it Al, I typed the rant but I haven't leaped yet."
"Ya gotta type more, kid, ya gotta convince everyone Fallout 4 is really bad. Come on get to it, they ruined Fallout!"
"Are you sure this is definitely what I have to do?"
"As far as you know yes. Get typing"

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Len posted:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite "Low Effort" in F4 is when settlers/random npcs walk by you and say a generic line like "The mayor sure hates those synths", and you immediately pass ANOTHER npc and they say "The mayor sure hates those synths" but by a different voice actor.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

Holy poo poo, that would be awesome. I'd play the hell out of that game.

I've been playing Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines recently, and so far, my only thing dragging the game down is the wimpiness of the starting guns. I know it's just a .38 revolver, but c'mon, a bullet from that in the shoulder of me or you would nearly put us on our rear end, and would do a lot more than just stun us for a second.

I know, I know, it's a video game, but this is the irrational thread, and so I'm going to be irrational about this! <:mad:>

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite "Low Effort" in F4 is when settlers/random npcs walk by you and say a generic line like "The mayor sure hates those synths", and you immediately pass ANOTHER npc and they say "The mayor sure hates those synths" but by a different voice actor.

Oh my god how can they still be doing this after all the poo poo they got for doing it in Skyrim. :psyduck:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I imagine "hey want to look at my wares" actually costs $500 a word, plus more for acting. Because it needs to go through an 8 step writing flowchart and a lore consistency check of course :thumbsup:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

It should also really put the materials that junk is made of next to the name when you hover over an item. As it is you have to pick up a junk item and find it in the inventory to see what materials it gives you, and at this point I don't want to waste inventory space on things that will only give cloth and steel when what I really need gears and fiberglass. Hoping there will be a mod soon that adds this stuff to the UI soon, it should be pretty doable.

Isn't there a way to mark materials you want to prioritize and have any relevant items automatically highlighted for you?

Len posted:

My gut reaction is that QL could totally work as a Telltale game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Nov 18, 2015

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

My gut reaction is that QL could totally work as a Telltale game.

The closest we've ever gotten to a quantum leap game is Omikron.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

This is what I don't get. We all knew going in we were buying a Bethesda game and that it's not a roleplaying game. You create a character and you get predefined answers to reply to npcs and situations with. There aren't people on the other side of the screen personally writing situations to cater to your character sheet. It's one thing to be irritated at the lack of skill checks in dialogues - which is an actual legit issue - and it's another to be upset that you can't pretend your spouse was a gay Doctor Who in love with Sherlock because it's based around a hetero couple and their biological child.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah but this isn't the "things that suck but you knew that they were going to suck when you bought them so what's the big deal" thread it's the "things that suck" thread.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

This is what I don't get. We all knew going in we were buying a Bethesda game and that it's not a roleplaying game. You create a character and you get predefined answers to reply to npcs and situations with. There aren't people on the other side of the screen personally writing situations to cater to your character sheet. It's one thing to be irritated at the lack of skill checks in dialogues - which is an actual legit issue - and it's another to be upset that you can't pretend your spouse was a gay Doctor Who in love with Sherlock because it's based around a hetero couple and their biological child.

http://tinyurl.com/ogdypph

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm sure I've seen about three tons worth of fan fiction based around a gay relationship between Dr. Who and Sherlock though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Xoidanor posted:

Oh my god how can they still be doing this after all the poo poo they got for doing it in Skyrim. :psyduck:

"All the poo poo they got" being a popular viral meme that lasted for years vs. a few disparaging Internet comments.