Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dreggon posted:

first place won $25

if that's what they pay artists something something art sucks

I wonder what they paid the guy who did the LA/Dry Top loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

All the fingerpaint he could eat

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Kajeesus posted:

I wonder what they paid the guy who did the LA/Dry Top loading screens.

They are pretty rubbish, aren't they?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Illuyankas posted:

All the fingerpaint he could eat

It turned out, he couldn't eat enough of it? I don't know, they're not the worst things I've seen in video games.

In other news, thanks to the new action camera mode, I'm now happily playing this game with a controller on my couch. It's a bit of an adjustment, but it's really quite nice now. I think it may be a bit before I start esporting with it, or really doing anything past retraining my fingers while leveling my revenant. But hey, couch + controller, no complaints.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDdR4c9vcEw
Best music to do goon-made guild hall jumping puzzles to.

Lonk fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 18, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jhet posted:

It turned out, he couldn't eat enough of it? I don't know, they're not the worst things I've seen in video games.

In other news, thanks to the new action camera mode, I'm now happily playing this game with a controller on my couch. It's a bit of an adjustment, but it's really quite nice now. I think it may be a bit before I start esporting with it, or really doing anything past retraining my fingers while leveling my revenant. But hey, couch + controller, no complaints.

I was wondering about that. Maybe do the raid or something and tell us how it went.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I finally finished gearing out my Condi Minstrel Mesmer (CMM). The ascended version was too expensive so I just used greens. It's a 5% DPS loss, max.

Who wants to raid?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mike12345 posted:

I was wondering about that. Maybe do the raid or something and tell us how it went.

There's more reason than that for me to not do the raid at the moment. I may try some fractals. I need to adjust the camera speed first.

Anything that you think is better with a mouse though like AH and inventory anything is possible, but not ideal on the controller.

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The Emperor's New Groove. [GRUV]

Llamas with [HATS]

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
All the loading screen art should be Bob Ross paintings, IMO.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Adhesive Gamin posted:

All the loading screen art should be Bob Ross paintings, IMO.

Don't even joke about this because I'd never leave the loading screen.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Jhet posted:

Don't even joke about this because I'd never leave the loading screen.

- 2015 HDD user

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

So as an utterly new player to this game, who is trying out Ranger completely because I thought it looked cool in the class-videos, is there an "optimal" pet that I should be aiming for, or is there actually some diversity in what will work?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The Strangest Finch posted:

So as an utterly new player to this game, who is trying out Ranger completely because I thought it looked cool in the class-videos, is there an "optimal" pet that I should be aiming for, or is there actually some diversity in what will work?

The new pets from the HoT zones are good but in general the bears are the tankiest and the birds/cats do good DPS. It really depends though because some have gimmicks like being ranged or having combo finishers or CC.

I'd check the wiki if you want a detailed breakdown because there is a lot to consider.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Thanks, that's actually kind of what I was hoping for. I'd have been a bit disappointed if there wasn't at least some decision making to be had in the selection.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Thanks, that's actually kind of what I was hoping for. I'd have been a bit disappointed if there wasn't at least some decision making to be had in the selection.

A lot of the pets are usable, actually. Ignoring the active F2 abilities that your pet has, each pet race has a set number of skills that gives it pretty neat utility. Of course you can't tell them to use it, it's all up to the AI.

For dps and survivability, there are some definite winners, as ItBurns said. Cats and birds have high deeps but low vitality. Cats have good crits and the birds attack twice a go. Drakes are pretty tanky but really strong, and have cleave and blast finishers. Moas are even tankier, do a decent amount of damage and can AoE heal. My Moa has proven to be really hard to kill. Bears are the tankiest, but have middle ground damage. They can also cleanse you of conditions I guess, but I never use them so maybe I'm wrong.

As far as other pets go, they are absolutely usable. Hounds have nice knockbacks and leaps, pigs have less but are hardier. Devourers are decent ranged pets, but if you go into melee (rangers are actually really good/fun in melee) they will follow and are frail. Spiders are the other ranged pet, though weaker they have nice cc abilities. Is that everything? I can't think of another pet type outside of HoT.

There are also underwater only pets. You got the tanky fish dude that looks bad rear end, the damage focused shark and finally the jellyfish. The jellyfish is undeniably the most powerful pet the ranger has by far. It is drat near unkillable, and that was before the changes to AoE's affecting pets. At release it was capable of tanking HotW bosses while I ran around ressing poo poo pubbies. AoE regen and AoE blind. It's dumb and I love it.

Now if you factor in the F2 abilities, different options become very interesting. If you only want dps though, stick with what ItBurns said along with drakes and moas.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Alternatively, you pick pets based on what horrible puns you can name them

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Watching some raid streams and I noticed that green circles seem to spawn on a repeat timer. Every 13 seconds but I count fast so whatever. It seems to be faster during his split phase? Well good luck to anybody who is raiding.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Devourers are decent ranged pets, but if you go into melee (rangers are actually really good/fun in melee) they will follow and are frail.

Not only will they not follow you into melee (short of line of sight issues) they have high toughness, decent vitality, and an attack that is specifically 'evade backwards away from a close target'. Diego you are killing me here

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm watching some guild stream their attempts on the raid boss on twitch and... it doesn't look that bad?

They got her to ~25% this last attempt and they seem only sort of organized and are still trying to figure some stuff out.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Unfortunately "trying to figure some stuff out" puts them ahead of 90% of MMO players.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Unfortunately "trying to figure some stuff out" puts them ahead of 90% of MMO players.
Honestly it shouldn't be particularly hard for folks using voice chat. Compared to the ridiculous poo poo I had to do in WoW and Rift this looks a lot more fun.

Yeah, it'll be a while until it becomes PUGable, enough people in the general player population will have to understand how to beat the fights, but for now I see no reason why GOON & SFD can't get a few teams in here and beating it regularly.

(by no means am I saying this looks easy, it looks challenging, but doable)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ascended gear definitely isn't required, but people will need to have good stat combos on their gear depending on what they're doing. celestial isn't really going to take you far.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

ascended gear definitely isn't required, but people will need to have good stat combos on their gear depending on what they're doing. celestial isn't really going to take you far.

Please no celestialshaming in this thread. Can we add this to the OP?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Not only will they not follow you into melee (short of line of sight issues) they have high toughness, decent vitality, and an attack that is specifically 'evade backwards away from a close target'. Diego you are killing me here

Don't use them that often, and not willing to do research while at work. You are right though. Thinking about it more, the issue I get with them is that they would be next to me when a mob runs up and aggros me, or when a mob engages me by dropping an aoe on me. The latter isn't an issue any more, and the prior can be solved by not using devourers in a cramped space.

Edit:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I've started leveling an ele that I had planned on putting into celestial gear. Is that a bad idea now, I never followed ele trends before.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Celestial is just less damage across the board. It's among the better of the less-good options but is still worse if your goal is DPS.

No matter how 'tanky' you are or how many boons you 'poo poo out', somebody has to eventually reduce the HP of the boss to 0, and that's where most people are having issues.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 18, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

That looks neat. Is it a bug or just a nifty interaction between the leystone chest and the black wings glider skin?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
See, the Celestial set is a trending stats set. Though I hesitate to call it "stats" or a "set". It's more like... a lack of both. It's a wax sculpture of a stats set, left out in the sun. And apparently, this is news to me, some pubbies are CRAZY about the Celestial stats.

When someone gets the Celestial set, what they're really saying is, "I'm attracted to the stats version of a melted ice cream cone, for the same reason that I like getting all my life advice from Elite Daily articles. It's easy, it's all about me, and it gives me everything I think I need."

if you get this reference you're as loving weird as me

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 18, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mercurius posted:

That looks neat. Is it a bug or just a nifty interaction between the leystone chest and the black wings glider skin?

It's a datamined glider. Gold wings supremacy tho :smug:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Honestly it shouldn't be particularly hard for folks using voice chat. Compared to the ridiculous poo poo I had to do in WoW and Rift this looks a lot more fun.

Yeah, it'll be a while until it becomes PUGable, enough people in the general player population will have to understand how to beat the fights, but for now I see no reason why GOON & SFD can't get a few teams in here and beating it regularly.

(by no means am I saying this looks easy, it looks challenging, but doable)

GOON put together a half-Oceanic half-weirdo 3am Americans impromptu raid team last night where everyone just rocked up in what we were wearing and specced for (with some minor fiddling) and managed to go from pretty much entirely newbies to getting the first boss to about 50%.

That was with everyone loving about and no might stacking / buff synergy either, so it's definitely going to be alright for guilds. I do expect a nerf on enrage timers though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Illuyankas posted:

Alternatively, you pick pets based on what horrible puns you can name them

My jellyfish is named something like 'Ohgodgetitawayhelp'.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Celestial is good in PvP where you're fighting other people with similar rules to their builds who you might be able to overpower through sustain.

It's not necessarily good in PvE where bosses are intended for 5+ people to be beating on them and rules are out the window.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My bear has been named Drew Bearymore for years :)

One time Arus made fun of it :smith:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's a datamined glider. Gold wings supremacy tho :smug:

It's actually in the gliders menu atm, just can't buy it yet!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
My ranger's cat used to be Bill Clawsby, but uhhh can't really use that one anymore.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

My ranger's cat used to be Bill Clawsby, but uhhh can't really use that one anymore.

You can, just don't let your cat give any lady cats drinks.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Sweet, thanks for the help. I'm still doofing around at level 11 or so, but so far its been fun.

My only other question is related to the whole "seasons" thing of the game. Presumably, now that HoT is out there are less people doing the earlier content, will my 'personal story' go through each of the seasons that have already happened, content wise, or will it simply progress to whatever iteration of the content is the most current?

I guess I don't really understand the concept, were the seasons just mini story expansions or were they big alterations to the game world? Since I'm enjoying the setting so far I'm a little wary of delving into the wiki and accidentally spoiling it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sweet, thanks for the help. I'm still doofing around at level 11 or so, but so far its been fun.

My only other question is related to the whole "seasons" thing of the game. Presumably, now that HoT is out there are less people doing the earlier content, will my 'personal story' go through each of the seasons that have already happened, content wise, or will it simply progress to whatever iteration of the content is the most current?
Nah, the way Guild Wars 2 is set up you'll still see people all over the game world. Some areas might be a bit sparse, but you'll almost never be alone in a zone.

There are compelling reasons for people even with multiple level 80 characters to bring those characters to lower level areas.

Your personal story is instanced and you'll be playing through the original story. You can purchase the ability to play through the Season 2 content and then Heart of Thorns. Season 1 content is no longer available. Don't worry, I missed it too!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kenshin posted:

Nah, the way Guild Wars 2 is set up you'll still see people all over the game world. Some areas might be a bit sparse, but you'll almost never be alone in a zone.

There are compelling reasons for people even with multiple level 80 characters to bring those characters to lower level areas.

Your personal story is instanced and you'll be playing through the original story. You can purchase the ability to play through the Season 2 content and then Heart of Thorns. Season 1 content is no longer available. Don't worry, I missed it too!

Odd. No one else misses it. Although the krait tower was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lonk posted:

It's actually in the gliders menu atm, just can't buy it yet!

Those teases.

• Locked thread