Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Thanks for the info. My wife wants to get her mom out of 1999, and get her a smartphone and texting for not-$1-per-text.

I assume that the plans you listed above would be $20 and $15 more, correct? And only AT&T does data rollover?

Correct, that is the per line cost. And ATT does 1 month of rollover data, Verizon does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the major downside of Cricket? I'm on a big T-mobile plan, but its tempting to get AT&T's network for the same cost. Right now we're paying $135 after all taxes & fees for 6 lines with unlimited talk, text, and 2.5GB data per line.

It looks like Cricket would be even cheaper than that on potentially a better network. T-mobile's network is OK, but the limited list of phones that have that magical Band 12 LTE is a little restricting, especially now that software updates are removing band 12 support from phones that had it 6 months ago.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The only downside of cricket if you are comfortable with bringing your own phones is the "throttling" of their LTE, which from my personal experience presents no practical problems are all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The biggest downside to Cricket is that data is throttled to 8 Mbps, but unless you're constantly running pirated anime torrents on your phone, this ought to be good enough for your needs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Any thoughts on the LG Tribute 2? I decided to stay with my cheap Virgin Mobile plan ($37.85 per month with unlimited everything), and was thinking about getting the Moto G for $150.

But I see Best Buy is putting the LG Tribute 2 on sale for $20 on Black Friday, which is hard to resist. Most of their stats and features are similar, but I'll be thrilled to save the money. I just need to last another week and a half, and my current LG phone will have lasted four years exactly.

This isn't a huge mistake, is it?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Any thoughts on the LG Tribute 2? I decided to stay with my cheap Virgin Mobile plan ($37.85 per month with unlimited everything), and was thinking about getting the Moto G for $150.

But I see Best Buy is putting the LG Tribute 2 on sale for $20 on Black Friday, which is hard to resist. Most of their stats and features are similar, but I'll be thrilled to save the money. I just need to last another week and a half, and my current LG phone will have lasted four years exactly.

This isn't a huge mistake, is it?

The Moto G is most definitely the better phone of the two, although I'm not sure it's 7.5 times the price better. For $20, it's a risk you can afford to take.

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006
I need to upgrade from my 2 half-broken phones, so I'm looking for hardware recommendations.

I'm with Rogers in Canada. I'm currently on an old retention plan that I don't want to change. As a result, I have to buy my phone outright.

I've mostly narrowed it down to the S6 or the Nexus 6. I've heard there are new Nexus devices out/coming soon, like a new 6, or a new 5 with the power of the 6 in 5" form factor. Is there anything worth waiting for? I have an S4, and a S1 before that which I was happy with. I'd just go for the S6, but there are some pros to the Nexus that are giving me pause. Price isn't a big deal, I just want to make sure I get something that I'm happy with.

Also, if there's a good place to buy phones outright, that would be helpful too. Thanks!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

blackmage posted:

I need to upgrade from my 2 half-broken phones, so I'm looking for hardware recommendations.

I'm with Rogers in Canada. I'm currently on an old retention plan that I don't want to change. As a result, I have to buy my phone outright.

I've mostly narrowed it down to the S6 or the Nexus 6. I've heard there are new Nexus devices out/coming soon, like a new 6, or a new 5 with the power of the 6 in 5" form factor. Is there anything worth waiting for? I have an S4, and a S1 before that which I was happy with. I'd just go for the S6, but there are some pros to the Nexus that are giving me pause. Price isn't a big deal, I just want to make sure I get something that I'm happy with.

Also, if there's a good place to buy phones outright, that would be helpful too. Thanks!

The new Nexus phones just came out recently, the 5x and the 6p. The 6P and the Galaxy Note 5 are in my opinion the absolute best of the best in Android right now, but they're pretty big so keep that in mind. Definitely recommend going to the store and playing with a Note 5 to see if the size is not a problem for you as they're both almost the same size.

I'd recommend the Note or the 6p. The Note has wireless charging while the 6p has front facing speakers. But if those two are too big then I'd recommend the S6 over the 5x when price is not an issue.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 19, 2015

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I'm just now joining the modern age and went from a dumb phone to a smart phone because I had family casting off an old iphone4. However, I loving hate ios since I have nothing else that uses it and I want Android but I literally have no idea what's a good phone for me. So here is my wishlist, tia goons.

- Android
- $200-300 (up to $400 might be fine too because I can cope until a deal comes up)
- Not too huge (I have tiny baby hands)
- Don't need too many dings and whistles (if it's anywhere as powerful as my nexus 7 2013 tablet I'm pretty much happy)
- Really, really good battery life! I'm super spoiled by the battery on my old dumb phone and the iPhone 4 is driving me nuts with how fast it drains even with almost all background poo poo turned off.
- I'm on cricket so will need it to be unlocked and compatible.
- Not a completely poo poo camera so I can take cute pictures of my baby.

I think that's about it. I'm so lost trying to Google this poo poo, send help.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Has anyone actually parsed the giant mess of fine print that is Sprint's "50% off your bill" promotion? If they can actually half what I'm paying at T-mobile and keep the same 2.5GB/line of data I'd put up with Sprint's atrocious network again.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

- Really, really good battery life! I'm super spoiled by the battery on my old dumb phone and the iPhone 4 is driving me nuts with how fast it drains even with almost all background poo poo turned off.

Your life gets much better once you relent and start charging your phone every day. Leaving your dumbphone behind means the end of the days of going 3-4 days on a charge. If you *really* want great battery life (i.e. can probably push it to 2 days regularly with moderate usage), you have to get something kind of massive in size.

Edit: I'd help you out on the rest but I'm wildly ignorant about the Android ecosystem.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2015

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

fourwood posted:

Your life gets much better once you relent and start charging your phone every day. Leaving your dumbphone behind means the end of the days of going 3-4 days on a charge. If you *really* want great battery life (i.e. can probably push it to 2 days regularly with moderate usage), you have to get something kind of massive in size.

Edit: I'd help you out on the rest but I'm wildly ignorant about the Android ecosystem.

Okay, I can deal with that if it's true that pretty much all smartphones get poo poo battery life.

I was looking at the Nexus 5 (found a deal to get it for $200) and like that is very similar to my Nexus 7 tablet but was worried about pulling the trigger because of battery life. Are my fears misplaced and comparable phones will probably also need daily charging?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Okay, I can deal with that if it's true that pretty much all smartphones get poo poo battery life.

I was looking at the Nexus 5 (found a deal to get it for $200) and like that is very similar to my Nexus 7 tablet but was worried about pulling the trigger because of battery life. Are my fears misplaced and comparable phones will probably also need daily charging?

Don't buy a Nexus 5, a more than 2 year old phone, in 2015. Instead, get a 2015 Moto G 16GB for $220, and enjoy modern LTE bands and an incrementally better camera.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I have been on a windows phone (Verizon) for the last year and a half but it is more or less dead now. I ordered an LG g4 off of eBay last night because I liked the idea of expandable storage, and because it was 300 bucks instead of 600 for a new galaxy,but am now wondering if there is anything better or more recommended.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm just now joining the modern age and went from a dumb phone to a smart phone because I had family casting off an old iphone4. However, I loving hate ios since I have nothing else that uses it and I want Android but I literally have no idea what's a good phone for me. So here is my wishlist, tia goons.

- Android
- $200-300 (up to $400 might be fine too because I can cope until a deal comes up)
- Not too huge (I have tiny baby hands)
- Don't need too many dings and whistles (if it's anywhere as powerful as my nexus 7 2013 tablet I'm pretty much happy)
- I'm on cricket so will need it to be unlocked and compatible.
- Not a completely poo poo camera so I can take cute pictures of my baby.

I think that's about it. I'm so lost trying to Google this poo poo, send help.

Buy a Nexus 6 off eBay for $290.

e: Looking now it seems you can get it as low as $250 and considering it has two years of software support guaranteed it's hard to beat that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 20, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DonkeyHotay posted:

I have been on a windows phone (Verizon) for the last year and a half but it is more or less dead now. I ordered an LG g4 off of eBay last night because I liked the idea of expandable storage, and because it was 300 bucks instead of 600 for a new galaxy,but am now wondering if there is anything better or more recommended.

$300 for that isn't bad I guess. The comparison would be G4 vs Nexus 5x in terms of same price range. I would recommend looking up a review of the 5x to compare details.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

:words:

Never mind! I just found the prepaid smartphone thread and I think that one will have the info I need! :)

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 21, 2015

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
So I have ATT and I'm looking at upgrading to a Win10 phone...Lumia 950. However, with all the new plans and crap I'm trying to determine what is the most cost efficient way of doing this... buying the phone outright...being on contract....etc?

Any insiders know of the best deal for this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best deal is to wait a month or two when they've slashed the phone price in half because no one is buying it.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
Anyone have experience buying a Xiaomi Redmi Note2 in the US? I ordered from merimobiles.com and I'm getting pretty annoyed with their customer service so I'm going to cancel that order if anyone has any suggestions on a reputable seller.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm currently a happy Koodo customer with an older Moto G due for replacement. The phone that has caught my eye is the HTC One M8 ($50 + 24x$15 monthly before discounts), and Koodo is offering a 50 dollar discount along with a 50 dollar free gift (whatever that means), but only for new customers. There's no reward available for my years of loyalty, but what can you do?

I'm currently on their old Tab plan that applies 10% of my monthly bill to my phone purchase, which I was quite happy with because it meant I could float along with the cheapest plan (34 dollars a month at the time), and just collect my couple bucks a month against the cost of my bargain, but good enough, smart phone. That Tab plan is gone, and the only option now is a "Tab" plan that is basically a 0% interest payment plan spread over 24 months, meaning the cheapest monthly option is the $30 plan (roughly equivalent to my old plan) and $15 a month for the HTC One M8.

If I go into the store and play a bit of hard ball about changing to Fido or Wind or some other company, do I have a reasonable chance to snag that new customer discount even as a returning customer? Should I consider switching to a similarly priced plan elsewhere if they refuse?

I've looked around for a discount on the phone price by purchasing it up front, but have had a hard time finding retailers that will sell that model unattached to a contract or phone plan. Online prices seems roughly comparable to the total price I'd pay at Koodo. Is there some way I'm missing to shave some cost off the price of a One M8 (or comparable model)?

Edit: Just looking at other phones they offer, the Moto G 3rd Ed. comes with a $120 activation credit but nothing for customers staying with Koodo. I understand their desire to snag new clients, but that means current customers pay double the price for the same phone while staying with Koodo. It's the kind of thing that makes you start to look around for a better deal.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 27, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm currently a happy Koodo customer...

Please let someone more familiar with Canadian carriers advise you more fully but I will say this:

Low cost carriers/MVNOs aren't really concerned with churn as much as acquisition. That is to say that they know that their customers aren't loyal because they're cheap and shop on price so they really only care about acquiring new ones, not keeping the ones they already have. Because you're a customer of a low cost carrier and thus perceived (rightly or wrongly) as not having a lot of money to spend, you don't have too much bargaining power when it comes to demanding new-customer deals.

That's sort of the tradeoff you get for only paying $40/m versus $80/m.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Moto G still king for those budget conscious as well as easy to use? I'm buying this unlocked as a gift for someone who still uses a flip phone and doesn't even know what apps are. This will be on T-Mobile by the way. Other options: iPhone 5S, Nexus 5x (prefer 5in and $300 and under).

halokiller fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 28, 2015

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Please let someone more familiar with Canadian carriers advise you more fully but I will say this:

Low cost carriers/MVNOs aren't really concerned with churn as much as acquisition. That is to say that they know that their customers aren't loyal because they're cheap and shop on price so they really only care about acquiring new ones, not keeping the ones they already have. Because you're a customer of a low cost carrier and thus perceived (rightly or wrongly) as not having a lot of money to spend, you don't have too much bargaining power when it comes to demanding new-customer deals.

That's sort of the tradeoff you get for only paying $40/m versus $80/m.

That's fine, seeing that I save that $40 every month. In any case, I shopped around and found a good deal through Best Buy Mobile for Black Friday. I got the phone, with the $50 discount and a free 11" chromebook in leiu of the $50 gift Koodo was offering, regardless of the fact that I was an existing customer.

I wouldn't have thought to go to Best Buy otherwise, but I have to say that the experience was much more pleasant than I expected.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

halokiller posted:

Moto G still king for those budget conscious as well as easy to use? I'm buying this unlocked as a gift for someone who still uses a flip phone and doesn't even know what apps are. This will be on T-Mobile by the way. Other options: iPhone 5S, Nexus 5x (prefer 5in and $300 and under).

Yep.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Is there any way I can get talk and text and 1-2GB data for <$50 a month?*

edit:*by bringing in an unlocked phone, I don't really want to make device payments.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vaginaface posted:

edit:*by bringing in an unlocked phone, I don't really want to make device payments.

T-Mobile's cheapest post-paid plan is $50 with 2 GB of data (obviously your actual bill will be slightly higher with taxes and such), their cheapest prepaid is the same but no taxes*, or if you get a Nexus 6, 5X, or 6P, you can use Project Fi which is a minimum of $30 per month for 1 GB, but they credit you for any unused data.

*T-Mobile also has a $30 plan that has 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5 GB of data for $30 if you don't talk a lot.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Excellent, thank you

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vaginaface posted:

Quite a few different Cricket plans fit your goals. I got the 20gb for 55$ a month (with autopay) but there are several smaller and cheaper options.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Vaginaface posted:

Ya I'd go with $40 ($35 with autopay) a month on Cricket for unlimited talk/txt/2.5gb a month (unlimited/throttled after)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya I'd go with $40 ($35 with autopay) a month on Cricket for unlimited talk/txt/2.5gb a month (unlimited/throttled after)

This is the plan I was thinking of-thanks!

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Endless Mike posted:

Project Fi: $30 per month for 1 GB, but they credit you for any unused data.

Just ordered a Nexus 5x and signed up for this, I'm cautiously super excited.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Hey all, I'm looking for a little bit of advice.

I'm on AT&T right now with a grandfathered unlimited data/450 minutes per month/unlimited texting plan that costs me about $70. This includes a 15% FAN discount. I just re-upped my contract to get a subsidized iPhone 6S.

My wife and I are thinking about merging our phone service and we're also traveling internationally at the end of December so we're thinking about switching over to T-Mobile. As far as I understand, T-Mobile will eat the cost of my AT&T ETF as long as I buy a new device.

So the way I'm thinking about this is as follows:

2 lines, 6GB data @ $100
1 BYOD (my wife's existing 5S) - $15 SIM card, cost waived
1 iPhone 6S - Either $199 down + $27.09/mo or $850 up-front

So I'm either paying $100/mo or $127.09/mo for unlimited talk and text, 6GB of data per line, international data roaming, etc.

So I have 3 questions:

1. Am I missing any fine print here?
2. Can I pay off my ETF myself without involving T-Mobile, get AT&T to unlock the phone, and just use that on T-Mo? I'd much rather pay the $305 than have to pay the cost of a new phone.
3. How is T-Mobile's service around the Boston metro-area? I don't travel that much although my in-laws live out in western MA. We don't usually get cell reception at their place anyway, so that's not a huge deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1) I *think* you've got it covered, though last I checked, you ALSO have to trade in a used phone to get the promo. Not necessarily the one you're using, so it might make sense to buy something cheap and working on Craigslist.
2) Yes, but with the caveat that AT&T won't unlock it until the ETF is paid off, which will be billed after you cancel, so you'll need another phone for a little bit.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I'm currently on an AT&T family plan and have discovered that I am ready for an upgrade. I'm happy with my service, and am fine with a 2 year contract, as I checked on some of the other lines in the family plan and noticed that those of us who are using a newer phone don't necessarily pay more per month, therefore I'm looking for something that AT&T offers.

I currently have an HTC One M7 and I love it to bits, but the camera is broken with a bluish hue, so I think I'm due for an upgrade. The obvious upgrade path is to an HTC One M9, but I am open to other, potentially cheaper, alternatives.

I care the most about durability, battery life and interface smoothness. I like the size and quality of my current screen, so nothing too much worse than either. I don't play many games.

DocImpossible
Dec 25, 2010
I'm currently on Verizon, but my contract is up for renewal here and was looking at getting a different phone, as this iShit is pissing me off too much and my father would rather like to have it. I have the iPhone 6 currently.

I'd love to have a good (>32gb) size storage, I'd kind of like to stay on verizon, but I'm willing to switch if it means getting a phone that I 100% would love. I'd also like it to be an Android, if that wasn't obvious.

I could also buy the phone outright, but that would take some saving, so I'd kind of like to get a monthly plan or something, but I'm not entirely opposed to just buying it.

I like the feel of the iPhone 6 in my hand. I just can't stand the OS and poo poo anymore.

I'm in SE Michigan, if that matters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DocImpossible posted:

I'm currently on Verizon, but my contract is up for renewal here and was looking at getting a different phone, as this iShit is pissing me off too much and my father would rather like to have it. I have the iPhone 6 currently.

I'd love to have a good (>32gb) size storage, I'd kind of like to stay on verizon, but I'm willing to switch if it means getting a phone that I 100% would love. I'd also like it to be an Android, if that wasn't obvious.

I could also buy the phone outright, but that would take some saving, so I'd kind of like to get a monthly plan or something, but I'm not entirely opposed to just buying it.

I like the feel of the iPhone 6 in my hand. I just can't stand the OS and poo poo anymore.

I'm in SE Michigan, if that matters.

Your best bet is the Nexus 6P but if that's too big the 5x will do.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm currently on a Moto X (2014) and a Verizon family plan with my sister. We've decided to go onto separate plans and with my original plan of going with Republic Wireless falling through, I thought about going with Total Wireless which is an MNVO on Verizon's network.

They have a $25 a month plan with a $10 1.5g rollover data plan (which will last me about 6 months or more with as little as I use data) and I can transfer my Moto X over.

Anybody here have experience with them?

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 6, 2015

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Current provider: Verizon, on a friend's family contract which is ending in January and they're switching to another provider and want me to get my own drat plan.

Budget: As low as humanly possible. Like, 20 a month is ideal. 30 is about as high as I reasonably want to go.

Features I want: At least 200 texts+like ten MMS, 100 minutes with some flexibility if necessary, and about 1GB of fast data. A record of my usage from May to June has me at an average of 27 minutes a month, 30 texts a month, and .25GB of data per month, but some of those months were a lot higher than others (data never broke 1GB but I was shy of 200 minutes) because of travel or family stuff so I'd like the wiggle room there. I would LIKE a new phone since I am currently rocking a Droid Razr Maxx which is several years old and I definitely don't have the money to just straight up buy one right now but mine is still definitely more than adequate at the moment if it comes down to it. I can probably afford to drop ~50 on a new phone.

The two big contenders appear to be T-Mobile or Cricket. The issue there is that Verizon seems to use CDMA while both of those providers are GSM. So I'd need to get a new phone if I switched either way and at that point I'm not sure which provider is going to provide a better deal for that (if any). I like the Razr series FWIW, the things are built like old Gameboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm currently on a Moto X (2014) and a Verizon family plan with my sister. We've decided to go onto separate plans and with my original plan of going with Republic Wireless falling through, I thought about going with Total Wireless which is an MNVO on Verizon's network.

They have a $25 a month plan with a $10 1.5g rollover data plan (which will last me about 6 months or more with as little as I use data) and I can transfer my Moto X over.

Anybody here have experience with them?

I don't have any experience but if I remember correctly, total wireless does NOT have LTE, if that matters to you