Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I've learned from people here is that as long as they can see the same bits played out with skeleton and teddy bear props 200 or 300 times, dropping their controller clapping and hooting each time they see that, they'll put up with anything in terms of engine and writing. You could probably give them a viewfinder with screenshots of skeletons with combat knives stuck in them, and they'd give it a 95 on metacritic and spend two months defending it on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

While I really, really do wish the plot was more engaging, I can't help but think of this when people wax on about how they are messing it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6jSfRuptY&t=272s

Of all my complaints about story, my biggest is this:

They immediately create urgency. I'm ready to irresponsibly plow headlong into battle and die a lot and try to speedrun my way to my baby, lest he be eaten by a dingo. Then the first thing they say is "here's how to pick up trash and build poo poo."

Absolutely, though I'd reverse it and say I was ready to irresponsibly plow headlong into ruins to find adhesive and aluminum to mod my power armor and stick my nose into obvious deathtraps just to see what's there and the game kept bringing up this SHAUN character. My character seemed to care about him a great deal but skinning molerats in a dress and a chef's hat instead of pursuing him doesn't really reflect that. I'm sure he cared in his own way, though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

look at this hardon for passive-aggressive snipes at obsidian here :ironicat:

I loved NV, but I'm not living in a fantasy world where that one-off arrangement is going to become the norm.

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011
Is Deckard's gun not in the game? How does Bethesda not put That Gun in a game about androids?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I loved NV, but I'm not living in a fantasy world where that one-off arrangement is going to become the norm.

I am, and its loving sweet!

quote:

Is Deckard's gun not in the game? How does Bethesda not put That Gun in a game about androids?
It is not :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reveilled posted:

On the contrary, it's the recovery from the apocalypse which is a key part of Fallout's setting, or at least it was before Fallout 3. Fallout 1 ends with the establishment of a democratic republic of allied towns. Fallout 2 ends with yet more cities joining that federation, with people casting aside old prejudices and coming together in a common effort to improve their conditions. That's what feels off about the timescale in the later Fallout games, the premise of the setting has been changed to "it's always the apocalypse forever", which doesn't mesh with the feeling of the previous stories in this setting. Which would be fine, if they had just decided to reboot the whole setting, or if they had decided to set the games during the period where the setting was meant to be truly post-apocalyptic--the first hundred years after the war. As it is, they've left the West Coast in the setting, which then creates the weird situation where skills like "making bricks" and "tidying up" are skills exclusive to Californians for some reason.

You might refer to A Canticle for Leibowitz here.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

What I've learned from people here is that as long as they can see the same bits played out with skeleton and teddy bear props 200 or 300 times, dropping their controller clapping and hooting each time they see that, they'll put up with anything in terms of engine and writing. You could probably give them a viewfinder with screenshots of skeletons with combat knives stuck in them, and they'd give it a 95 on metacritic and spend two months defending it on here.
you take that back about grim fandango, the last instance of tim schafer being worth a poo poo

Magmarashi posted:

yes because zenimax hates doing things like "printing money" by handing it off to someone who has no internal vision or working of the franchise

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sector_corrector posted:

literally mad about teddy bears itt

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

If you wanted the game of the year 2015, you'd be playing Witcher 3 right now.

Everybody already knows Fallout 4 is incredibly loving stupid so you have to stop caring about it and roll with it, get a steam refund if you don't like it, or just let the aneurysm happen I guess.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

You could probably give them a viewfinder with screenshots of skeletons with combat knives stuck in them

I mean, I wouldn't turn it down.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Everybody already knows Fallout 4 is incredibly loving stupid so you have to stop caring about it and roll with it, get a steam refund if you don't like it, or just let the aneurysm happen I guess.
i am goat-gotten by the fact that i can't turn this game into serious sam already

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If having rebuilt towns was such a major part of Fallout then New Vegas would have some (other than the city of the same name) instead of having "oh yeah Caesar's Legion and the NCR totally have civilization just off screen".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hey guys why do all the guns still work

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you take that back about grim fandango, the last instance of tim schafer being worth a poo poo

yes because zenimax hates doing things like "printing money" by handing it off to someone who has no internal vision or working of the franchise

It was still a complete one-off to keep the fresh rebirth of a dead franchise alive in the mind of the public while they did work on Skyrim and Fallout 4. They won't really be needing that going forward. It ain't happening.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Hey guys why do all the guns still work
same reason why food isn't dirt

radiation killed all the microbes

Magmarashi posted:

It was still a complete one-off to keep the fresh rebirth of a dead franchise alive in the mind of the public while they did work on Skyrim and Fallout 4. They won't really be needing that going forward. It ain't happening.
I agree that they won't need it, because they clearly want this franchise to circle the ouroboros toilet like call of duty and not invest in new IPs ever, something zenimax is obviously regretting since we're not getting a sequel to wolfenstein and the evil within

oh

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 19, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like Fallout 4 and also think Bethesda is a Good Developer because I play and greatly enjoy each flawed work they put out :)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You wander around your home muttering to yourself about every object you see. You see cola in the fridge and mutter about it. Cereal, you mutter about that too. You mutter about an American flag and when you see your army uniform you mutter "war never changes" for literally the fourth time in as many minutes.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
So I just got to the Institute and...

How the gently caress is the son 60? Did you stay frozen for 60 years or some poo poo after he got stolen? Is that the explanation?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

well where are all the skeletons
show me the motherfuckin skeletons man

this is the skeleton police WHERES THE SKELETONS

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

computer parts posted:

If having rebuilt towns was such a major part of Fallout then New Vegas would have some (other than the city of the same name) instead of having "oh yeah Caesar's Legion and the NCR totally have civilization just off screen".

NCR couldn't be hosed to clean up the mess of clutter and trash all over their own bases of operation, either

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

vandalism posted:

Did you stay frozen for 60 years or some poo poo after he got stolen? Is that the explanation?

He literally tells you exactly that

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

vandalism posted:

How the gently caress is the son 60? Did you stay frozen for 60 years or some poo poo after he got stolen? Is that the explanation?

As he says, is that so much harder to believe than being frozen for 10 years?

2house2fly posted:

You wander around your home muttering to yourself about every object you see. You see cola in the fridge and mutter about it. Cereal, you mutter about that too. You mutter about an American flag and when you see your army uniform you mutter "war never changes" for literally the fourth time in as many minutes.

Who doesn't do this?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deified Data posted:

As he says, is that so much harder to believe than being frozen for 10 years?
i'd like to know more about the guy before him because that person seems much more interesting than anyone currently alive in the institute

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fereydun posted:

well where are all the skeletons
show me the motherfuckin skeletons man

this is the skeleton police WHERES THE SKELETONS

I throw sixty dollars at the screen and yell "IT'S JUST FUN"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

it just works™

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Deified Data posted:

Who doesn't do this?

War never changes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the "war never changes" catchphrase is already self-parody since john fallout dismissively says it right in the intro

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

if the Institute is supposed to be more advanced why are their guns so garbage

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Protons posted:

Are you being silly or serious? I can't tell anymore.

Also, should I help this Chinese sub captain? Should I help him go home to China and try to live out his days as a ghoul in his homeland?

I thought you found some new version of power armor I'd never seen. I checked and I assume you meant T-51

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is the only alien gun in the game the Blaster pistol? I really want an alien rifle...

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Things are getting a little crowded at the ol' Red Rocket

I know there's another set of T45 somewhere nearby, but I can't remember. It's on a train car. I wish I could find the rest of the raider stuff too. From where I am, the raider suit looks like an old tyme diving bell suit.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

Is the only alien gun in the game the Blaster pistol? I really want an alien rifle...
wait for mothership zeta 2

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'd like to know more about the guy before him because that person seems much more interesting than anyone currently alive in the institute
i'd like to meet that guy and shoot him because he is clearly the reason why the institute makes no sense
where's the guardian of forever dlc where i get to meet all the idiots responsible for making the dumbest decisions
gently caress that's what they're gonna do, isn't it
they got all these prewar assets and they're gonna make a prewar tranquility lane DLC or something

sector_corrector posted:

you hosed up and didnt say bones
you're done pal, you're done

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

if the Institute is supposed to be more advanced why are their guns so garbage

My guess is they advanced the internal technology of the laser pistol/rifle to the point that it was easier to mass produce alongside their Synth production rate, and since they are so easy to produce they don't have to be built to last so the materials are cheaper.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

wait for mothership zeta 2

fine... as long as we get psychic powers too

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Luminaflare posted:

Does anyone know if building more artillery pieces increases the amount of shells fired in an artillery strike? Is there any point in having more than one per settlement outside of aesthetics?

I've noticed when I call a strike somewhere where I have a few nearby settlements the bombardment lasts longer, it seems like all of them fire in turns to make one big long bombardment. I'd rather them all hit at once or something though. Actually I'd love it if we could call different types of strikes. A wide area bombardment with cluster bombs, a single fairly accurate mega shell, maybe even upgrade to some sort of smart munitions that home-in on enemies to a certain extent. Guess that will all come with mods.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

My guess is they advanced the internal technology of the laser pistol/rifle to the point that it was easier to mass produce alongside their Synth production rate, and since they are so easy to produce they don't have to be built to last so the materials are cheaper.
as advanced as 1/3 as effective

frajaq posted:

fine... as long as we get psychic powers too
i want to scanners the wasteland

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

That was a painfully sensible answer.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Protons posted:

Things are getting a little crowded at the ol' Red Rocket

I know there's another set of T45 somewhere nearby, but I can't remember. It's on a train car. I wish I could find the rest of the raider stuff too. From where I am, the raider suit looks like an old tyme diving bell suit.

Out back of RR is a fleet of 5~ bare frames that I had no place else for - all the actual armor is just in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That was a painfully sensible answer.
the real answer is because they wanted cool blue lasers to fit their color scheme more
can't have some weak rear end plebian red lasers that every raider uses, even if it means they have to lower the frequency of the laser and have it do less damage

• Locked thread