Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So I set up a small dedicated server to run with my friends. But the faction we make disappears when everyone disconnects, leaving the spawn point useless for the next game time. How can I set so that the faction that we made stays in the world after everyone is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Vahakyla posted:

So I set up a small dedicated server to run with my friends. But the faction we make disappears when everyone disconnects, leaving the spawn point useless for the next game time. How can I set so that the faction that we made stays in the world after everyone is gone?

That's interesting. Is "Permanent Death" checked or unchecked on the server settings? Is the server saving after the faction is created?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
There is, apparently, a bug in the world generation code that may place ore markers on planets but fail to place the actual ores. The power system is also bugged for dedicated servers - stations anchored into the planet may experience 'ghost drain' where the station reports using 10+ MW of power on non-existent thrusters. This in addition to batteries being pretty much broken at the moment.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Sexy Goat Squad presents a server thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751644

Moon base and planets. Basic mods are being installed. I don't know if there is a demand, but I thought I would put it out there.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I would very much like to get into faction MP in this.

A bunch of creative people trying to murder and rob other, also creative people?

Yes please.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Just got my new graphics card! And, yes, a good graphics card does in fact improve frame rate. I'm enjoying silky smooth frame rates on planetworld after everything finishes loading.

Oddly, an SDD doesn't really improve loading time though. Probably all them voxels.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Just got my new graphics card! And, yes, a good graphics card does in fact improve frame rate. I'm enjoying silky smooth frame rates on planetworld after everything finishes loading.

Oddly, an SDD doesn't really improve loading time though. Probably all them voxels.

Yeah I turned everything down to medium and noticed significant improvements. Just the occasional hiccup and awful stuttering in creative if any pasted object ghost clips the ground.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Playing the current game has been equally painful and hilarious.

- We had part of a land vehicle explode, making a big crater, presumably because it drove over a small loose objects.

- A magic piece of ice on the ground was vibrating. Anyone walking over it was catapulted away. Minus the admin who was immediately declared an unholy being.

- People falling through the planet.

- Vehicles falling through the planet.

- Space pirates keep crashing on the surface, we keep scavenging them for parts. It's funny to see them plummet.

- We had a small salvage platform near a pirate wreck, with a container on it with the loot. Physics go haywire and the wreck bellyflops on the platform and container.

- On our first spaceflight our pilot accidentally pressed T mid flight. There were 3 passengers on external seats when this happened. :v:

E: and for a game that expects you to run on solar and batteries it sure is weird that exactly this is busted.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

What's wrong with batteries exactly? I've been using this battery + reactors mod. It's very pretty and you can lego together one big reactor that would be significantly more powerful than a default heavy reactor. Downside is that they take up a lot of space and they're kind of weird shaped.

It also comes with 3 types of batteries;
* A capacitor which has epic output but runs dry super quick,
* A fuel cell which has epic capacity but terrible output,
* And a 1 block size mini-battery that appears to be equivalent to 1/10th of a vanilla battery. The mod author says that this battery is "actually useful," however I don't really know what he means by this and he doesn't explain.

He also has a script that he's made to help with battery management based on what your ship is currently doing. So your capacitor doesn't get drained while idling for example.

I'm slowly trying to convert all the starter ships over to the new batteries. So far I've got the fighter done.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Batteries on dedicated servers fail to build a charge. Set up a basic array with some solar panels and a single battery, set the battery on full-auto (no ticks in any boxes), you'll see it says 'input xxx, output 0, fully charged in x days' but the 'power stored' levels stay at 0.

Batteries also should have about 25% of their maximum charge when placed/built, but start out at zero. (This is why they made power cells unrecoverable, so you can't cheese an infinite power source by just deconstructing/reconstructing batteries).

Oddly, sometimes (very rarely) when you set the battery onto 'recharge' only it'll say it gains a steady output from somewhere even if there is no actual power source attached.

What makes it exceptionally sucky is that they purposefully designed planetary bases to be mostly powered by solar panels and batteries - uranium is extremely rare on planets. Batteries being broken makes survival multiplayer basically much unplayable - it's pretty much impossible to design a ship that can maneuver with atmospheric thrusters and solar panels only.

Strangely, I've had no problems with this when I've been the server host, instead of using my dedicated server - they probably hosed something up in the dedicated server netcode.

Edit: Even more weirdly, batteries seem to charge themselves from reactors just fine. When my friend attached a small reactor into the solar array above, it immediately burned through what little uranium we'd salvaged from his lander (about 0.2 kg of it) but built a couple of pips of charge into the batteries. Batteries just don't interact with solar panels in a reasonable manner for some reason, now.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 16, 2015

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009

Mindblast posted:

- On our first spaceflight our pilot accidentally pressed T mid flight. There were 3 passengers on external seats when this happened. :v:

Here's a picture of said spaceflight. I had to control the rocket via thruster overrides and manually turning on/off thrusters. It was more successful than United States first attempts at space flight.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I found another odd glitch with batteries. I'm now hosting the server in my client and batteries work better, but they still don't behave like you'd expect. Our base has 2.4MW of panels, and turning on two refineries, plus a single assembler causes them to drain slowly... Until you set the recharge only mode, at which point they start to charge at the rate one would expect.

Also, assemblers keep getting stuck. When making small items, they work fine, but for large items where they only pull 1 item worth of material from conveyors, they keep getting stuck after each item.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Space master mode also needs some tweaks when used online. Trying to spawn more than one item at a time doesn't seem to work nicely.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Unfortunately my laptop with 660M does not like the new planets mode with DX11 so I'm stuck playing asteroids. I get really bad framerate :(

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

LegoMan posted:

Unfortunately my laptop with 660M does not like the new planets mode with DX11 so I'm stuck playing asteroids. I get really bad framerate :(

That's odd. What resolution and graphics settings? What CPU? How much RAM?

I have a 660M in my machine I play on at work, and I can play at 1366x768 and 1440x900 without any problems with things cranked down a bit. It's a little sluggish the first 2 minutes or so in the game, and then it speeds up for me.

zennik fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 17, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn my spaceship designs would benefit from some ladders or single-block staircases. Get on it, Keen!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

Goddamn my spaceship designs would benefit from some ladders or single-block staircases. Get on it, Keen!

Sektan's Interior Walls have a good decorative ladder (along with fantastic walls and doors), but you're on your own for finding a single-block staircase with DX11 support.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
Yay, I finally have a beefy enough PC to run SE with planets on high details. (Or run SE in general.)

What are some good mods to grab, beside the ones mentioned in OP?

And for some goddamn reason, all attempts at planetary miners end up in disaster for me. (Either it ends up too heavy after filling a quarter of medium cargo container with ore or it end up going too fast and not slowing fast enough to not crash into my goddamn base.)
Are there any guides/tips/something on how to not suck when building planetside ships?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Build a ship with too many engines/goes too fast, then bind a key or two to turning some of the engines on and off, so you have an "empty" low gear and "full cargo" high gear.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I still can't run SE with planets at anything approaching a reasonable FPS. I've got a GTX 760 and an i7-4771, and I'm running at 1920x1080 borderless window, so I should have enough hardware to do this. I start up the generic Quick Start scenario with no mods, and I'm at around 10FPS in the base.

Also I've had trees hanging out in midair both maps I've genned. Related somehow?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

buttcoinbrony posted:

I still can't run SE with planets at anything approaching a reasonable FPS. I've got a GTX 760 and an i7-4771, and I'm running at 1920x1080 borderless window, so I should have enough hardware to do this. I start up the generic Quick Start scenario with no mods, and I'm at around 10FPS in the base.

Also I've had trees hanging out in midair both maps I've genned. Related somehow?

Check your Shadow quality. I was getting fps in the mid twenties trying to keep that maxed out. Turned it down to Medium and I'm at a much happier number now. :)

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

XkyRauh posted:

Check your Shadow quality. I was getting fps in the mid twenties trying to keep that maxed out. Turned it down to Medium and I'm at a much happier number now. :)

That, and latest drivers.
I know the stock windows update drivers absolutely SUCK with Space Engineers.
Also, texture quality. I know the top quality texture setting can be demanding. Knocking it down a notch will still look very nice and net an FPS increase.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

buttcoinbrony posted:

Run it in fullscreen instead of a window so it's not devouring even more memory than it already does.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mortvert posted:

Yay, I finally have a beefy enough PC to run SE with planets on high details. (Or run SE in general.)

What are some good mods to grab, beside the ones mentioned in OP?

And for some goddamn reason, all attempts at planetary miners end up in disaster for me. (Either it ends up too heavy after filling a quarter of medium cargo container with ore or it end up going too fast and not slowing fast enough to not crash into my goddamn base.)
Are there any guides/tips/something on how to not suck when building planetside ships?

If you want to be more precise, I made a sheet that can calculate how many (Ion) Thrusters you ship should need.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rIPQnK-NcY-5AmA5wUToPeuQHKESFJ5V1cVaAFBzNlQ/edit?usp=sharing

Look at the Chelonetida and Hymenoptera tabs to see how you would use it. The Definitions tab is just calculating how massive a container full of Steel Plates (the densest component) or ores would be, the thrusters' output in N and the target acceleration.

Feel free to ask any questions!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was thinking about making some kind of planetary/moon miner today but

how do you deal with all the stone you mine? Is there a mod that can dump it?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=457957428

Gravel Resource Extractor. Turn stone into gravel then extract trace elements from it using a moderately expensive machine. Not 100% balanced but for every 1000 gravel you feed into the machine you get back.

• 41 Iron
  • 18 Silicon
  • 17 Nickel
  • 12 Cobalt
  • 5.5 Magnesium
  • 4 Silver
  • 2 Gold
  • 0.4 Platinum
  • 0.1 Uranium

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is the current planet version playable or should I wait for a bit before playing again?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having loads of fun with the new challenge of building giant things while being constrained to walking on the ground. It's fun times. It crashed a grand total of once for me and I've had it running for almost a week now, so I'd say it's fairly playable. Wheels are glitchy as hell, though, so I stick to flying things. Less falling into the planet.

Also, a friend is telling me there's a way to build things out of a ship. I have a small welder/grinder ship but can't figure it out, anyone knows if that's possible at all?

vvv: Thanks, that makes sense.

Truga fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 19, 2015

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
First, your cockpit must either be connected to a conveyer system that has access to the starting components, or you have to have those in your inventory, then press CTRL+G to bring up the selector, then you can place.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

It's playable, but some bugs have popped up (like the falling into the planet Truga mentioned, and solars interacting weirdly with batteries), and other weirdness is becoming more noticeable on planets (hand drilling is really finicky when you can't faceplant into where you want to dig). I suppose it can't hurt to wait for this weeks update, but I'm having fun trying to build a pretty base and expanding on the "Star System" start - no space spiders.

Truga posted:

Also, a friend is telling me there's a way to build things out of a ship. I have a small welder/grinder ship but can't figure it out, anyone knows if that's possible at all?

Ctrl-G puts you in "builder mode", then you add things to your toolbar and place them just like outside a ship. E: fb.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I finally got around with playing with planets but none of my mods are loading/showing. Is this a bug or am I just failing somehow? I've tried it with DX9 and DX11, verify game cache, etc.

I'm copy-pasting my ships over but they just fall because the engines are mods :smith:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Edit: Beaten, twice. :) Nothing to see here.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I finally got around with playing with planets but none of my mods are loading/showing. Is this a bug or am I just failing somehow? I've tried it with DX9 and DX11, verify game cache, etc.

I'm copy-pasting my ships over but they just fall because the engines are mods :smith:

Click your game save and go edit settings. Click the mods button and you should see all the mods you subbed to. Move them over to the right and load up the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me, or are the atmospheric thrusters not putting out anywhere near the thrust they say they can? I'm trying to replace the hydrogen thrusters on my shuttle with them (because right now Hydrogen lasts all of twenty seconds in a Small Block tank, no matter how many of them I stuff into my ship, and that's never getting me off a planet, let alone stay airborne) and I swear they're not giving me an equivalent amount of thrust with sufficient extra thrusters bolted on.

Working on replacing this;

With this;

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 19, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Atmospheric thrusters start to lose thrust pretty quickly with altitude, maybe it's that? Did you land on a mountain? :v:

e: Yeah, that doesn't look like it should have trouble taking off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Atmospheric thrusters start to lose thrust pretty quickly with altitude, maybe it's that? Did you land on a mountain? :v:

e: Yeah, that doesn't look like it should have trouble taking off.

Ahh, that might be it. I thought it was just a straight cutout past a certain height rather than a gradual decrease (You know, like an actual scram-jet engine). That's kinda lovely when Hydrogen burns way too drat fast. Here's hoping for a fix tonight :pray:.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Soooo, how do you get rid of like 10 million rocks? I made a rover that punches a 5x5 large block hole in the ground to about 50m. The idea was to make a small ship to mine out the flat vein after the rover does it's job, but gently caress it, feels more like SE to just punch holes in the earth.

I'll probably just build a stockpile of Large Cargo since rocks don't seem to despawn with this update.

Also wheels suck at holding a position and landing gear either send you to the moon or just explode. I just have it lift itself on pistons, but the terrain has to be rather flat for it to work.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bondematt posted:

Soooo, how do you get rid of like 10 million rocks? I made a rover that punches a 5x5 large block hole in the ground to about 50m. The idea was to make a small ship to mine out the flat vein after the rover does it's job, but gently caress it, feels more like SE to just punch holes in the earth.

I'll probably just build a stockpile of Large Cargo since rocks don't seem to despawn with this update.

Also wheels suck at holding a position and landing gear either send you to the moon or just explode. I just have it lift itself on pistons, but the terrain has to be rather flat for it to work.

Get this mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=457957428

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hooollly poo poo. I just came back to this thread and now there are planets? AND we can drill through them? What's the viability of building a ridiculous planetcracker drill that just falls all the way through the planet using drills + gravity, dumping all its spoils into a detachable vehicle that's mostly made of cargo containers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can do it, though your save file will end up being gigantic.

Also, there's currently a bug where if you leave a ship docked somewhere for long enough (hours), it'll fall off the dock eventually, breaking free. It'll still stay docked for all intents and purposes apart from not being able to move, though, so you basically have a wormhole conveyor to your station.

It happened to my grind/weld thing and it owns not having to constantly sort through items, instead just pulling everything from the huge container on the station. :v:

• Locked thread