Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Joementum posted:

Hot Take of the day:

But... this doesn't make sense... refugees already go through an extensive vetting process? Why is no one calling out the politicians and reporters implying that there's no screening whatsoever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

PUGGERNAUT posted:

But... this doesn't make sense... refugees already go through an extensive vetting process? Why is no one calling out the politicians and reporters implying that there's no screening whatsoever?

Because the only question that's missing on the vetting form is "Is brown Y/N"

Guess which choice leads to automatic denial.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
If only we'd checked if he were black before we let him be president....

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Oh, so Texas narrowly rejected allowing K12 textbooks to be fact checked by academics: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2015/1118/Texas-narrowly-rejects-allowing-academics-to-fact-check-public-school-textbooks

"Rather than allowing academics to intervene, the board voted unanimously to tweak its current system, mandating that review panels be made up of "at least a majority" of people with "sufficient content expertise and experience" as determined by the Texas education commissioner."

More Civil War revisionist history :thumbsup:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Remember, "properly vetted" just means getting enough dirt on someone to disqualify them from voting, running for office, or in this case preventing them from entering the country.

In other words, "the game lasts until I win."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

I'd say we've reached Peak Friedman, but maybe not. The next six columns are going to be crucial.

Does he talk to a taxi driver who is suspiciously well informed on world events?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Don't know if this has been posted in the thread yet.

This video totally sums up the dim glory that is Trump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYoOPgeTMQc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Don't know if this has been posted in the thread yet.

This video totally sums up the dim glory that is Trump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYoOPgeTMQc

Still the best roast of Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

seiferguy posted:

Oh, so Texas narrowly rejected allowing K12 textbooks to be fact checked by academics: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2015/1118/Texas-narrowly-rejects-allowing-academics-to-fact-check-public-school-textbooks

"Rather than allowing academics to intervene, the board voted unanimously to tweak its current system, mandating that review panels be made up of "at least a majority" of people with "sufficient content expertise and experience" as determined by the Texas education commissioner."

More Civil War revisionist history :thumbsup:

It'd be funnier if Texas schoolbook content didn't end up everywhere else because of their population. But I'm all for letting states invent their own revisionist histories; it'll make arguments with conservatives entertaining instead of just frustrating and sad.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

tsa posted:

Surprisingly enough they really aren't that excited about handing the election to the R's on a silver platter. Like if the dems go full speed ahead on accepting refugees and something happens don't even bother holding an election.

This was stupid the first time you said it and it's still stupid now. France is taking on three times as many refugees as we are and they were the ones attacked.

Too many of us have family members who came here to escape war. To support shutting the door on them for political expediency is incredibly repugnant.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Locobono posted:

It'd be funnier if Texas schoolbook content didn't end up everywhere else because of their population. But I'm all for letting states invent their own revisionist histories; it'll make arguments with conservatives entertaining instead of just frustrating and sad.

They're don't very much anymore, as often as that is repeated. Publishers can afford to tweak content for local markets a lot easier today than they could 15 years ago, with advances in digital publishing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trump roast.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Neither the media nor politicians are eager to let facts get in the way of them pandering to terrified bigots.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/philg/2015/11/18/if-helping-migrants-is-a-moral-imperative-what-about-non-migrants-from-the-same-countries/

Just asking questions, guys.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

As far as we know none of the attackers were actually Syrian refugees, correct? Has anyone in the public square actually pointed this out to people? Or are we just going to let this whole "ISIS is in Syria therefore all Syrians are in ISIS" nonsense continue until we have violence and calls for mass deportations?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

As far as we know none of the attackers were actually Syrian refugees, correct? Has anyone in the public square actually pointed this out to people? Or are we just going to let this whole "ISIS is in Syria therefore all Syrians are in ISIS" nonsense continue until we have violence and calls for mass deportations?

This doesn't matter. It's one of the best current examples of "reality has a liberal bias".

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

So stupid, refugees get resettled all the time from outside their receiving state.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yes. Yes. And maybe, but one can hope.

We have Chris Christie literally saying he won't admit orphan children, who can pose no possible threat to anyone. This has nothing to do with national security and everything to do with perceptions of societal security.

Which is just a fancy way of saying they're literally racist.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

This is the best for it's quality and the fact that Obama had just ordered the Bin Laden operation several hours before.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why is no one calling out the politicians and reporters implying that there's no screening whatsoever?

They are. Quite a bit. It's just that no one wants to listen to them because (choose one or more): Obama is a bad president whose opinions are always wrong, Obama is a liar so he must be lying about the vetting process being tough, Obama is a secret Muslim who loves terrorists, less than 100% success in identifying future terrorists is an unacceptably low success rate and we must study further, etc.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
In Minneapolis news: Police attempted to clear protesters from the precinct and succeeded in having three times as many people show up. At some point there was pepper spray and rubber bullets but the police backed off.

While being interviewed by a livestreamer, one of the local news reporters was pepper sprayed by police through a chain link fence. MPD immediately put out a tweet saying that the protesters are pepper spraying themselves.

Seems to be at a really tense stalemate.

Edit: now the police are poking protesters with a stick through the chain link fence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Has anyone brought this up today? AMA Votes for Ban on Prescription Drug Advertising

quote:

The country's largest doctors group has voted for a ban on direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs and medical devices.

The American Medical Association said Tuesday at a meeting in Atlanta that such ads on television and radio and in magazines drive a demand for expensive pills and medicines when less costly generic drugs are just as effective.

"Today's vote in support of an advertising ban reflects concerns among physicians about the negative impact of commercially driven promotions and the role that marketing costs play in fueling escalating drug prices," said AMA board chair-elect Patrice Harris. "Direct-to-consumer advertising also inflates demand for new and more expensive drugs, even when these drugs may not be appropriate."

The AMA said the United States and New Zealand are the only two countries that promote drugs directly to patients.

It said U.S. drug companies spend $4.5 billion a year selling their products. But doctors say the cost of promoting the medicines and treatments can make prescriptions too expensive overall and puts patient health at risk.

The AMA is recommending that the federal government limit what it calls anti-competitive behavior by large pharmaceutical houses that doctors say reduces choice and limits much cheaper but still highly effective generic drugs from reaching the market.

Not sure how much force they really have to twist the drug companies' arms, but this could turn out really well

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Police cleared the area in front of the contested chain link fence and now there are a bunch of bicycle cops with their bikes making a wall. Probably a good de-escalation move because bring out out the riot gear would not go well.

Edit: just kidding the riot gear guys snuck out being them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Has anyone brought this up today? AMA Votes for Ban on Prescription Drug Advertising

Not sure how much force they really have to twist the drug companies' arms, but this could turn out really well

About time.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Silver Nitrate posted:

Police cleared the area in front of the contested chain link fence and now there are a bunch of bicycle cops with their bikes making a wall. Probably a good de-escalation move because bring out out the riot gear would not go well.

Is this in Minneapolis?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Silver Nitrate posted:

What is it called when you bring out the riot gear to quell a riot that began because the riot gear came out

I mean aside from silent, helpless despair

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

What is it called when you bring out the riot gear to quell a riot that began because the riot gear came out

Proactive policing

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Seriously. Are we going to beat New Zealand to banning prescription drug ads?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Does anyone else have trouble seeing Joementum's posts sometimes? For some reason twimg.com images aren't loading even if I disable all the adblocking extensions and whatnot.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is this in Minneapolis?

Yeah, the riot gear guys went back inside. Guess they didn't like how the crowd reacted to them. Still pretty tense.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is this in Minneapolis?

Yeah

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 19, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shifty Pony posted:

Does anyone else have trouble seeing Joementum's posts sometimes? For some reason twimg.com images aren't loading even if I disable all the adblocking extensions and whatnot.

It's the new "security" feature in Firefox. Click the shield to the right of the back button.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Noted liberal organization the CATO Institute thinks refugees aren't a threat:
http://www.cato.org/blog/syrian-refugees-dont-pose-serious-security-threat

Shifty Pony posted:

I run in to the same issue with a few other sites when using Firefox. It doesn't make any sense and it was really annoying when it up and decided to block imgur entirely one day.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

It's the new "security" feature in Firefox. Click the shield to the right of the back button.

Ah that did it. Really annoying. I guess the tracking prevention thought the images were web bugs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I be concerned over the ISIS threat video to NYC?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Grouchio posted:

I would be more worried about riding in a car or dieing of a heart attack.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People should give terrorist videos the same treatment they gave Downfall.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grouchio posted:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Silver Nitrate posted:

Yeah, the riot gear guys went back inside. Guess they didn't like how the crowd reacted to them. Still pretty tense.

Its too gently caress'n cold out, people. Are ya gonna riot in a blizzard? This ain't DQ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CNN's coverage of this is bordering on hedonism. Anchors are going to start loving each other on air while shrieking a list of cities ISIS has tweeted about.

• Locked thread